Opposed to same-sex marriage, company ends wedding business

Dec 25, 2012 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: www.baltimoresun.com

An Annapolis company whose old-fashioned trolleys are iconic in the city's wedding scene has abandoned the nuptial industry rather than serve same-sex couples.

Comments
1 - 20 of 381 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2013
First Prev
of 20
Next Last

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Good, if you can't handle the job then find a new career and let people who can handle the job take over.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Good riddance. The same thing happened when Apartheid ended in South Africa -- there were companies who went out of business rather than serve Black customers. But many others decided to gear their businesses toward their a new diverse clientele and flourished throughout Africa.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

They're off their trolley.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

When you choose bigotry you limit your customer base.

Good riddance.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

well if u dont want to serve all the public- then he's doing us all a favor- BYE BIGOT...see ya, go get a job in a church LOL
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Any business that can't or refuses to keep up with the times usually goes out of business, just like Hostess.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
Better than working in a bus station in the shithouse like you.
u make no sense what so-ever.....your fantasies arent relevant here.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Well if he loses $50,000 in annual income, that is probably $500 less money in donations to right-wing causes.

Any business person who gets rid of paying customers that don't cause real problems (like trashing facilities) is an economic moron.

If I ran a business I'd be happy to serve Nazis as long as they paid and did not cause problems.
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

JohnInToronto wrote:
Well if he loses $50,000 in annual income, that is probably $500 less money in donations to right-wing causes.
Any business person who gets rid of paying customers that don't cause real problems (like trashing facilities) is an economic moron.
If I ran a business I'd be happy to serve Nazis as long as they paid and did not cause problems.
And you would be obliged to do so under the law.

If a wedding VENDOR can refuse service to gays, why not restaurants? Why not grocery stores? Why not mortgage agencies? There's no room for a conscience clause in public accommodation law. These people are not churches

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

I bet the good "christian" didn't have any problem renting out to weddings of divorcees, though, did he??

It never ceases to amaze me how unaware these idiots are when they draw these pointless lines in the sand.

Did they quiz their rental applicants before to see if either (or both) of them had been married before?? You know what Jesus said about that, right?? ADULTERY!! Bad, bad, BAD!!!

The good news is that it appears there's HUGE demand in Annapolis for trolleys at weddings. That means it won't take long for someone else that's NOT an ignorant fool to start up a wedding trolley business and finish putting the bigoted company out of business. If there's really fifty grand a year in business to be had,*someone* will do it!

Good times, good times....
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Too bad for them, but they did what was fair. No business will refuse blacks; no business will refuse brunettes; no business refuses thieves, murderers, adulterers or the divorced.

By some inane "magic," GAYS are singled out as the WORST possible customers these people could have.

I applaud them for ending their goddamn business rather than *daring* to show a prejudice which singles out ONE minority when EVERY other minority could bankrupt this business for prejudice -- and now gays can too.

Smart move, I say to the business. Too bad it's you, but I have no sympathy. If you can serve murderers, you can serve HARMLESS gay people -- or GET OUT, which you did. Thank you.
SLIF

Scarborough, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Another radical straight separtist.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
I bet the good "christian" didn't have any problem renting out to weddings of divorcees, though, did he??
It never ceases to amaze me how unaware these idiots are when they draw these pointless lines in the sand.
Did they quiz their rental applicants before to see if either (or both) of them had been married before?? You know what Jesus said about that, right?? ADULTERY!! Bad, bad, BAD!!!
The good news is that it appears there's HUGE demand in Annapolis for trolleys at weddings. That means it won't take long for someone else that's NOT an ignorant fool to start up a wedding trolley business and finish putting the bigoted company out of business. If there's really fifty grand a year in business to be had,*someone* will do it!
Good times, good times....
That's how conservatives and republicans operate. For one, they'd serve ADULTERERS and the DIVORCED. They'd serve MURDERERS. They'd serve POLYGAMISTS.

They don't care about polygamy. They cared *as soon as* gay marriage became an issue.

They don't care about violence in film. They cared *as soon as* twenty schoolkids were killed and they don't want their guns taken away.

The conservatives are *OPPORTUNISTS* when it comes to what they "care" about, and *EXTREMELY* manipulative about it.

I can find reasons to criticize both progressives (quite heavily) and conservatives (quite viciously), but on this topic, progressives win. They are at least very, very consistent about what they care about; it doesn't change to manipulate the point of view of others. With conservatives, it does, unfortunately.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Let me get this, pardon the expression, straight. His Christian sensibilities aren't the least bit offended by being required to provide his services to Muslims and Jews and Buddhists and Atheists and anyone else who would seem to offensive to them, it's just when they are same sex couples it crosses the line. Usually I ask Jesus to save us from some of his Christians, this idiot needs saved from himself.
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
Let me get this, pardon the expression, straight. His Christian sensibilities aren't the least bit offended by being required to provide his services to Muslims and Jews and Buddhists and Atheists and anyone else who would seem to offensive to them, it's just when they are same sex couples it crosses the line. Usually I ask Jesus to save us from some of his Christians, this idiot needs saved from himself.
They would serve *satanists*, sir -- they would serve *mass murderers*, sir -- but the idea of serving gays causes him to close his doors and throw the business in the toilet.

The man is fucked in the head, pure and simple. Period. End of statement. Seriously. This is a sickness I can barely wrap my mind around.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Oh well...............another one bites the dust.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
You stupid Fa$$ots always think your reality is someone elses fantasies. Wake up pervert, no one but a freak wants your lifestyle. Stupid Fa$$ot.
And yet, you spend so much time writing about gay male sex in such graphic detail.

I know of no straight men who do that...

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Good for him wrote:
This man took a stand for God the rest of our country needs to do the same thing. Being gay is wrong and it's Good to see that there are still some good God fearing people in our great nation.
Being gay is not wrong or right...it just "is".
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

I'll bet they have no trouble marrying liars, murderers, thieves and those who lust after things owned by others, things that are ACTUALLY included in the 10 commandments. Or those who worship other gods or don't worship any gods at all. Or people who violate all the other things included in Leviticus. To target one group from the bible for bigotry and ignore all the rest is the action of hypocrites. We won't miss them. And I suspect a savvy businessman will quickly pick up their trolleys at fire sale prices.
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Judged:

Good for him wrote:
This man took a stand for God the rest of our country needs to do the same thing. Being gay is wrong and it's Good to see that there are still some good God fearing people in our great nation.
Nope. Being gay is fine. But being a bigot is way more than wrong. Just curious, but if your god is this really good being, as you all claim, why would you fear him?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 20
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 15 min KiMare 49,379
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 17 min Pattysboi 19
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 20 min DANDY DEACON 54,796
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 28 min Tubal Cain 937
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 29 min dduttonnc 242
Residents see Europe best for gays and lesbians... 46 min NE Jade 13
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 31
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 376
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••