Out HGTV Star Criticized for Hosting ...

Out HGTV Star Criticized for Hosting Salvation Army Fundraiser

There are 12 comments on the EDGE story from Sep 30, 2013, titled Out HGTV Star Criticized for Hosting Salvation Army Fundraiser. In it, EDGE reports that:

Openly gay HGTV star David Bromstad has come under fire for planning to host an upcoming event for the Salvation Army, Towleroad reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Sep 30, 2013
The SA does a huge amount of good for a great many people.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Sep 30, 2013
The Salvation Army is an anti-gay Christian Church

David is right though
We will never get anywhere with them if we never show them we care
To know us is to love us
Rudy

Anonymous Proxy

#3 Sep 30, 2013
snyper wrote:
Very true.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Oct 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
The SA is a militant organization and is a church that is opposed to the equal rights of LGBT Americans. They should be boycotted by LGBT Americans.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#5 Oct 1, 2013
They may do a lot of good, but I have given them a wide berth for many years. I stopped donating to their cause when I found out that they refused to accept money from gay organizations. And I know for a fact it was true. I was involved in one of the organizations when it happened.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#6 Oct 1, 2013
RalphB wrote:
They may do a lot of good, but I have given them a wide berth for many years. I stopped donating to their cause when I found out that they refused to accept money from gay organizations. And I know for a fact it was true. I was involved in one of the organizations when it happened.
When I was a kid, we had big floods in California. People donated all kinds of good stuff. The good stuff found its way to the stores and the crap was sent to the people in need. Go figure.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#7 Oct 1, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a kid, we had big floods in California. People donated all kinds of good stuff. The good stuff found its way to the stores and the crap was sent to the people in need. Go figure.
When I was young and struggling I shopped at a Goodwill and a Salvation Army store for furniture, clothing, books, etc. SA had the lesser of the two stores, but they discovered earlier than Goodwill that there were antique buyers, and they had one corner of the store that had prices just below those of the antique stores. Goodwill followed suit a little later. Anyway, I found by experience to avoid SA and go with Goodwill.

Location hidden

#8 Oct 1, 2013
RalphB wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was young and struggling I shopped at a Goodwill and a Salvation Army store for furniture, clothing, books, etc. SA had the lesser of the two stores, but they discovered earlier than Goodwill that there were antique buyers, and they had one corner of the store that had prices just below those of the antique stores. Goodwill followed suit a little later. Anyway, I found by experience to avoid SA and go with Goodwill.
I found that Goodwill stores vary from place to place. Some have really good stuff, others are full of trash.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#9 Oct 1, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
I found that Goodwill stores vary from place to place. Some have really good stuff, others are full of trash.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't been inside one in quite a while. I donate stuff, but I do that outside the rear of the store. I get the yen to go inside sometimes, but frankly, I have more stuff than I need, and I don't want to tempt myself.

“=”

Since: Oct 07

Appleton WI

#10 Oct 1, 2013
I have a bit of a crush on David. Such a cutie, I'll forgive him. I've accepted help from the S.A. in the past, completely unaware of their apparent anti-gayness... and never thought my sexual orientation was relevant to receiving their help, so it was never discussed. I can understand how that might be difficult to avoid if you're a couple or a family. But it SHOULDN'T be relevant, and people SHOULDN'T have to hide it.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#11 Oct 2, 2013
When I was a teenager, I saw a social worker that was employed by the local Salvation Army as a therapist. Except for working there and getting paid by them to offer low-cost therapy, she was unconnected with the SA organization.

She asked me once to please be careful who I told I was seeing her there and the please keep a low profile when I came to see her because she had been warned that she would be fired immediately if they discovered that she was counseling gay people. Nice, huh??

Apparently, if someone "obviously gay" came to them for assistance, that person would be referred to someone who would try to convert them and make them disavow their wicked ways before offering them assistance. I wasn't "obviously gay", so I slipped through their faggot-detection system and was actually referred to a real therapist for real help.

Imagine the damage they've done to people in real life-threatening distress that came to them looking for help and then were faced with a "God hates you the way you are, you sinner!" speech.

Those people are not Christians. They're a "christian" conversion cult masquerading as a service organization.

Location hidden

#12 Oct 2, 2013
eJohn wrote:
When I was a teenager, I saw a social worker that was employed by the local Salvation Army as a therapist. Except for working there and getting paid by them to offer low-cost therapy, she was unconnected with the SA organization.
She asked me once to please be careful who I told I was seeing her there and the please keep a low profile when I came to see her because she had been warned that she would be fired immediately if they discovered that she was counseling gay people. Nice, huh??
Apparently, if someone "obviously gay" came to them for assistance, that person would be referred to someone who would try to convert them and make them disavow their wicked ways before offering them assistance. I wasn't "obviously gay", so I slipped through their faggot-detection system and was actually referred to a real therapist for real help.
Imagine the damage they've done to people in real life-threatening distress that came to them looking for help and then were faced with a "God hates you the way you are, you sinner!" speech.
Those people are not Christians. They're a "christian" conversion cult masquerading as a service organization.
Yes. Sad but true. I'll bet Jesus doesn't know them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 min Frankie Rizzo 30,736
should the homosexual lifestyle be outlawed? 14 min RalphB 12
Choose not to be gay 30 min Just Think 401
News Gay N.H. man confronts Rubio over marriage oppo... 31 min Rainbow Kid 20
American Crime 45 min Fa-Foxy 2
News Anti-LGBT Hate Group Threatens Lawsuit Over Out... 49 min Proclamation 2
News Report: Arizona lacks basic equality for LGBT c... 1 hr Applause 3
News New research says sex education ignores gay and... 7 hr cpeter1313 1,215
More from around the web