Sonoma: Assault of gay teen at school...

Sonoma: Assault of gay teen at school believed to be hate crime

There are 18 comments on the Inside Bay Area story from Apr 10, 2013, titled Sonoma: Assault of gay teen at school believed to be hate crime. In it, Inside Bay Area reports that:

Authorities have arrested two suspects for an alleged hate crime assault of a gay teen at El Verano Elementary School in Sonoma last month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Inside Bay Area.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Apr 10, 2013
Gang members should be prosecuted under state and federal RICO laws which can result in a life in prison sentence.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 Apr 11, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
Gang members should be prosecuted under state and federal RICO laws which can result in a life in prison sentence.
In a case like this, even if determined to be a hate crime, life imprisonment is unlikely as it is not murder. The perps - if convicted - will be sent to jail and come out as even more hardened criminals.

The US has a greater percent of its population in prison than most if not all other countries. It crime rate is lower than developing countries but much higher than places like Canada, Japan and Europe. Doesn't that say something about the failure of both the correctional system and American society?
NE Yade

Sacramento, CA

#3 Apr 11, 2013
Of course it was a "hate crime". The kid just happened to be gay. Therefore punish the attackers more harshly then if they had attacked a kid who didn't happen to be gay. Make sense? HELL NO!

Why are gays protected more than normal people?

Why is a homosexual's well being considered more important than a normal person's well being?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#4 Apr 11, 2013
NE Yade wrote:
Of course it was a "hate crime". The kid just happened to be gay. Therefore punish the attackers more harshly then if they had attacked a kid who didn't happen to be gay. Make sense? HELL NO!
Why is a homosexual's well being considered more important than a normal person's well being?
Hate crimes are NOT just committed on gays. What if a Christian was attacked for being that religion. The attackers would be arrested for hate crimes.

What if a black person was attacked for being that race. The attackers would be arrested for hate crimes.

What if YOUR demographic was attacked, just because of who you were. Your attackers would be arrested for hate crimes.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Apr 11, 2013
NE Yade wrote:
You won't understand it no matter what answer is given because you're a typical anti-gay bigot.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Levittown, PA

#6 Apr 11, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
In a case like this, even if determined to be a hate crime, life imprisonment is unlikely as it is not murder. The perps - if convicted - will be sent to jail and come out as even more hardened criminals.
The US has a greater percent of its population in prison than most if not all other countries. It crime rate is lower than developing countries but much higher than places like Canada, Japan and Europe. Doesn't that say something about the failure of both the correctional system and American society?
People should get a clue and stop responding to the addled, racist pedo as though he actually thinks he's making a point of any kind.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Levittown, PA

#7 Apr 11, 2013
NE Yade wrote:
Why are gays protected more than normal [sic] people?
Hey talibangelical sht for brainz, the laws protect on the basis of sexual orientation.

GLBT people are not protected. Sexual orientation is. That includes str8 people who might get attacked for being str8, or str8 people who get attacked because someone thinks that they are gay.

You got everything wrong from the very premise onwards, a reference to your "belief" that the earth is under 10000 years old.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#8 Apr 11, 2013
NE Yade wrote:
In your next life get yourself borngay
.....and you will discover the answer to your question; sugar
Cascade Ice

Santa Rosa, CA

#9 Jun 23, 2013
I know the 19-year-old that is being charged in this crime and he is nothing but a scumbag. I can't think of anything that isn't negative about him. All he wants to be is a criminal thug and that is what he got. He's annoying and a plague to society. Lock him up for decades.
willard the uh- uh

Sonoma, CA

#10 Jun 24, 2013
hey. corrections is a buiness that requires fear and criminals, as are the courts, churches, security and police systems businesses. Look not for improvements other than to the bottom line of GROWING businesses dutifully fertilized by public policy.
anonymos

Sebastopol, CA

#11 Jun 29, 2013
Listen people, yeah what these boys did was bad and YES I agree nobody in this world deserves what happened to the boy from Sonoma; however, we're all people. We all make mistakes and all do things that we aren't proud of. I know for a fact that the 17 year old convicted of stealing that boys phone and beating him up realizes what he did was wrong. After all, he is my boyfriend. He is trying to show all of you, the victim, his family, that he's learning from his mistakes. Take into consideration before you come on a website and bash someone, that you are lowering yourself to the level that those boys leveled themselves down to that night. Punish them for what they did, because yes it was wrong, but don't punish the rest of their lives. They deserve happiness and freedom too.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#12 Jun 29, 2013
anonymos wrote:
Listen people, yeah what these boys did was bad and YES I agree nobody in this world deserves what happened to the boy from Sonoma; however, we're all people. We all make mistakes and all do things that we aren't proud of. I know for a fact that the 17 year old convicted of stealing that boys phone and beating him up realizes what he did was wrong. After all, he is my boyfriend. He is trying to show all of you, the victim, his family, that he's learning from his mistakes. Take into consideration before you come on a website and bash someone, that you are lowering yourself to the level that those boys leveled themselves down to that night. Punish them for what they did, because yes it was wrong, but don't punish the rest of their lives. They deserve happiness and freedom too.
I won't bash him. I just want him to recieve a fair trial, be convicted, and then sentenced to 30 years in prison, with a 350 pound very "lonely" cellmate named "Patty". That's what we call here in these parts, "JUSTICE".

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#14 Jun 29, 2013
Wade wrote:
<quoted text>
If he's gay that doesn't sound like punishment at all. Any queer would LOVE that!
I'm gay and I sure as hell wouldn't.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#15 Jun 29, 2013
Wade wrote:
<quoted text>
If he's gay that doesn't sound like punishment at all. Any queer would LOVE that!
For ONCE, any Queer would LOVE to hear a NON false name from you. I guess that is impossible for a pathological little liar like yourself.
Walter

United States

#16 Jun 29, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>For ONCE, any Queer would LOVE to hear a NON false name from you. I guess that is impossible for a pathological little liar like yourself.
I'm on my way too Chick Fil A two celebrate another queer getting a deserved beat down.

WOO HOO!!!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#17 Jun 29, 2013
fr anonymos:

>Listen people, yeah what these boys did was bad and YES I agree nobody in this world deserves what happened to the boy from Sonoma; however, we're all people. We all make mistakes and all do things that we aren't proud of. I know for a fact that the 17 year old convicted of stealing that boys phone and beating him up realizes what he did was wrong. After all, he is my boyfriend....<

Dump him NOW and find a better one.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#18 Jun 30, 2013
anonymos wrote:
Assuming you are honest and the above is a true statement, there are two questions:

1. Did the victim forgive him? If not then his apology counts for nothing.
2. What kind of parents did he have that he did such a thing. In my view, if the bully is under 18, as in this case, it is the parents who should receive the brunt of the punishment. People like your boyfriend don't become bullies out of nowhere - there is something in the way they were raised that makes them do this.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#19 Jun 30, 2013
PS: I also agree with the poster above. If this guy is a bully he is probably likely to be a partner/spouse abuser as well. You don't have to hate him but why sink to his level - find another.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min dollarsbill 17,340
News New Trump office would protect conscience right... 13 min LGBT Logic 3
News Reading series teaches students about inclusion 21 min NOM s Waffle House 20
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 22 min NOM s Waffle House 568
News New Trump office would protect conscience right... 28 min NOM s Waffle House 3
News '5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche' onstage at Pride C... 53 min NOM s Waffle House 1
News UKIP councillor links drug and anti-social beha... 58 min NOM s Waffle House 7
News Gay Cakes Are Not a Constitutional Right 3 hr Lawrence Wolf 828
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 20 hr GodSmacked 27,290
More from around the web