MegaChurch Pastor Joel Osteen: 'Bible Says Homosexuality a Sin But I Won't Preach It'

Jan 14, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Televangelist Joel Osteen stopped by "Larry King Now" recently and opened up about his views on homosexuality, the Huffington Post reports.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

He looks gender variant.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...unless you don't own it.

Oh to be a multi million dollar confidence man fer jeesus, whether an extreme hater or a more benign sounding sort. That must be the life.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fine Joel. Except that the Bible does *NOT* say that homosexuality is a sin. It says that male-on-male RAPE is a sin. DUH! But it never mentions homosexuality as we know it today and neither does Jesus.

Maybe you should put down your bank statements and refresh your knowledge of the Bible a bit, huh?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

The preacher is wrong. The Bible preaches against promiscuity and abuse. There is nothing about homosexuality as we know it. Such preaching puts the homosexual in a bind. How can a homosexual avoid promiscuity if they lack the freedom to choose a mate?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's fine Joel. Except that the Bible does *NOT* say that homosexuality is a sin. It says that male-on-male RAPE is a sin. DUH! But it never mentions homosexuality as we know it today and neither does Jesus.
I agree that there is a evidence that male rape was a common cultural concern at the time. But I wonder how you read the Bible to refer to male rape?

The phrase in Leviticus could mean almost anything. Don't fool around in your marital bed with your best friend. Don't fool around with men while your wife is menstruating. Don't borrow your wife's menstrual bed between periods. Who the heck knows?
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
Maybe you should put down your bank statements and refresh your knowledge of the Bible a bit, huh?
I don't know how you can be any more sure of your claim than the fundies can of theirs.

It's an internally contradictory mess, written by many people in many languages many decades after the claimed events, translated many times, with many versions, with disputed books.

You can quote or translate to mean just about anything you want it to me. A fool's errand.

The fact remains: When the fundies get more worked up about coveting - a _commandment_- than they do about their homosexual fixation, then we'll know they're basing their actions on scripture.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that there is a evidence that male rape was a common cultural concern at the time. But I wonder how you read the Bible to refer to male rape?
The phrase in Leviticus could mean almost anything. Don't fool around in your marital bed with your best friend. Don't fool around with men while your wife is menstruating. Don't borrow your wife's menstrual bed between periods. Who the heck knows?
I actually take that verse to be telling *straight* men, men who lie "as with a woman" to not lie with another man.

Frankly, it's quite impossible for me to lie with a man as I would lie with a woman because, guess what?? I would N-E-V-E-R lie with a woman, under ANY circumstances. So clearly, no matter WHAT I do with another man, it can't possible be as I would "with a woman", because I DON'T "with a woman." So clearly, that verse is NOT referring to me or any other gay man.

But, more directly to your question, male-on-male rape is one of the interpretations of that verse that can easily be supported based on the original language used and the culture of the time it was written. Male-on-male rape was a common method of humiliating another man, especially men conquered on the battlefield. Leviticus is simply stating that such behaviour is not to be indulged in by the Hebrews, which is who Leviticus was written for. When read in that light, it makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Also, many of the people throughout history that "translated" the Bible were nothing short of extreme prudes that were terrified of sex in any form. Such things as writing about men humiliating other men by taking sexual pleasure from them against their will was NOT to be tolerated.

Therefore, such things as male-on-male rape became "softened" to "lie with a man as with a woman." It's akin to referring to a child's penis as his dee-dee or a little girl's vulva as her "special place." It may make the prudish among us feel more comfortable, but it's certainly going to cause a shitload of confusion later on, isn't it?

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

It is soooooo much easier being agnostic. I don't have to worry about sin. The bible of the christians, and all other "holy" books, mean nothing to me, as is true of their "preachers", "reverends", "priests", etc. To me they are a complete waste of minds that could be put to other more important tasks.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Christaliban wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how you can be any more sure of your claim than the fundies can of theirs.
It's an internally contradictory mess, written by many people in many languages many decades after the claimed events, translated many times, with many versions, with disputed books.
You can quote or translate to mean just about anything you want it to me. A fool's errand.
The fact remains: When the fundies get more worked up about coveting - a _commandment_- than they do about their homosexual fixation, then we'll know they're basing their actions on scripture.
True, but when you take into account the culture of the people that were being written about (something the Fundies never do), a lot of those things make a lot more sense. I've already posted about male-on-male rape and the culture of that time, so I won't repeat it here.

But one of the reasons homosexuality as we know it today isn't mentioned in ancient writings is because it wasn't unusual and it wasn't considered important. LOADS of people fooled around with members of their own gender. In a time when a non-virgin woman that tried to get married was stoned to death, who do you think the randy young men were fooling around with? Each other. It was not a big deal. Therefore, to condemn such behvaviour would have seemed to them as strange as condemning wearing white after Labor Day might seem to most of us. Who cares??? SO not a big deal. Do it if you want to, don't if you don't.

It's a lot like writing down a recipe for pie crust. The earliest known written recipes for pie crust date to less than a few hundred years ago, yet people have been baking foodstuff into pasty crusts for thousands of year, right? Why bother to document something that everyone knew how to make and was so common that even a non-cook would know how to make it?

Many cultures in the Middle East, even today, continue a tradition of young guys fooling around with each other because female virginity before marriage is such a big deal, it's almost impossible for unmarried guys to find a woman to screw. I live in an area that's near the largest Middle Eastern population outside of the Middle East. They assure me, while they would *NEVER* talk about it, it's part of their culture and it's not considered a big deal.

AFTER a man marries, however, it's a HUGE big deal. None of that gay stuff is allowed anymore. Which might be why adult men of that culture (among others) can be so hostile toward gay men. "How come YOU get to do it and I can't????"
Christaliban

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
True
Right, it's all nonsense.

I would only agree that sometimes it's fun to actually try and wave an authentic translation from the original Greek or Aramaic or Hebrew text in front of the fundies' faces, but finally that is like trying to explain to them that science has determined the earth is actually billions of years old.

And they'll look you right in the face and flat out lie, "No, the Bible is not internally contradictory."

It does not compute. You are arguing fantasy material to begin with with anti rationalists.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

eJohn wrote:
LOADS of people fooled around with members of their own gender. In a time when a non-virgin woman that tried to get married was stoned to death, who do you think the randy young men were fooling around with?
So, one possible interpretation of "Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman" would be without permission?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
I actually take that verse to be telling *straight* men, men who lie "as with a woman" to not lie with another man.
Frankly, it's quite impossible for me to lie with a man as I would lie with a woman because, guess what?? I would N-E-V-E-R lie with a woman, under ANY circumstances. So clearly, no matter WHAT I do with another man, it can't possible be as I would "with a woman", because I DON'T "with a woman." So clearly, that verse is NOT referring to me or any other gay man.
But, more directly to your question, male-on-male rape is one of the interpretations of that verse that can easily be supported based on the original language used and the culture of the time it was written. Male-on-male rape was a common method of humiliating another man, especially men conquered on the battlefield. Leviticus is simply stating that such behaviour is not to be indulged in by the Hebrews, which is who Leviticus was written for. When read in that light, it makes perfect sense, doesn't it?
Exactly. What's more, nobody observes the first six chapters of Leviticus. Why should anyone take the Book of Leviticus seriously?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
Well I won't correct you on what the Bible says about homosexuality because who cares what the Bible says! Joel certainly doesn't. If he did care and if he loved Jesus he would do all of the following:

"...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" Luke 14:33
"If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" Matt. 19:21
"Sell your possessions and give alms" Luke 12:33
"But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" Luke 11:41
"Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Matt. 6:19-21
"How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" Mark 10:23
"Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" Matt. 19:23-24
A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21

Imagine Joel obeying one of those commands. Or any Christian obeying them for that matter.

JESUS: John 14:15 KJV, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Clearly no one loves Jesus.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

He's still not getting my credit card number.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

Umm Joel. To publicly say the Bible is against gays and lesbians IS PREACHING IT!

I originally came up with this as a response for Kimare but it fits you as well.

The Definition of being Two- Faced.
When the two cheeks you show people are squeezing out a smile, while the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out a load of crap.

It's hard for me to hear the love you preach when your mouth is full of lies.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

snyper wrote:
AMEN BROTHER!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
Umm Joel. To publicly say the Bible is against gays and lesbians IS PREACHING IT!
I originally came up with this as a response for Kimare but it fits you as well.
The Definition of being Two- Faced.
When the two cheeks you show people are squeezing out a smile, while the two cheeks people experience are the ones squeezing out a load of crap.
It's hard for me to hear the love you preach when your mouth is full of lies.
If Judgment day really exists, they will held accountable for every soul they drove from the Lord.

Sad.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
If Judgment day really exists, they will held accountable for every soul they drove from the Lord.
Sad.
That's why I always ask them where they keep their "Get out of hell Free card.

BTW check this out; The video is hilarious. I especially loved where one of the Phelps daughters said, "Jesus said never let your right hand know what the left is doing" and the interviewer asked if that's how she masturbates!

WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH HUMILIATED AT THE GOLDEN GLOBES: VIDEO

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/01/westboro-bap...

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

snyper wrote:
This is another recorded case about the outbreak of PADD ... Political Acumen Deficit Disorder.

(thanks snyper)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2014

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>This is another recorded case about the outbreak of PADD ... Political Acumen Deficit Disorder.
(thanks snyper)
Those guys and many like them are helping those they abuse. Go figure.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of25
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••