Cardinal George Says Same-Sex Marriage Is 'Against The Common Good', Do You Agree?

Jan 5, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Patch.com

As gay marriage moves closer to a vote in the Illinois General Assembly, Cardinal Francis George has released a letter attacking the notion of same- sex marriage itself and urging Catholics to voice their objections.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

From the article:
George argued that because same-sex marriages cannot be consummated and are not undertaken for the purpose of conceiving children that government, "has no power to create something that nature itself tells us is impossible."

Well Cardinal George would be wrong on both accounts.......and both of these issues are TOTALLY IRRELEVANT when applying for a Marriage License!!!!

Maybe the Catholic Church should lose their precious tax-exempt status if they continue to play politics!!!
Proud Hetero

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

NorCal Native wrote:
From the article:
George argued that because same-sex marriages cannot be consummated and are not undertaken for the purpose of conceiving children that government, "has no power to create something that nature itself tells us is impossible."
Well Cardinal George would be wrong on both accounts.......and both of these issues are TOTALLY IRRELEVANT when applying for a Marriage License!!!!
Maybe the Catholic Church should lose their precious tax-exempt status if they continue to play politics!!!
Bingo! I agree wholeheartedly and the sooner the better! Same with that damn hypocritical Mormon church also!
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

If marriage's sole purpose is reproduction why was the condom and the contraceptive pill invented? I wish these supposedly "wise" people would occasionally use their small brains before opening their big mouths..

“Some people are gay - get over”

Since: Apr 08

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
If marriage's sole purpose is reproduction why was the condom and the contraceptive pill invented? I wish these supposedly "wise" people would occasionally use their small brains before opening their big mouths..
If marriage's sole purpose is reproduction why do we allow couples who choose to not have kids get married?

If marriage's sole purpose is reproduction why do we allow couples beyond child-bearing/rearing years to get married?

If marriage's sole purpose is reproduction why do we allow couples where one or both of the people are biologically incapable of producing a child get married?

The "marriage is to make kids" argument has always been spurious.

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Proud Hetero wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo! I agree wholeheartedly and the sooner the better! Same with that damn hypocritical Mormon church also!
You can cover your bigotry however you like but marriage has NEVER been solely about having kids.

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Oh - and before someone chimes in and says "marriage is SACRED". No it isn't - we allow atheists to get married so how effen sacred can it be?

Marriage is not about a church because you don't need to get married in a church - you CHOOSE to do that.

Marriage is not about kids because you don't need to have kids - you CHOOSE to do that.

Except for arranged marriages - marriage is about 2 people making a commitment to each other because they love and care about one another.
Proud Hetero

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

KirkW wrote:
<quoted text>
You can cover your bigotry however you like but marriage has NEVER been solely about having kids.
Sorry kirk,but I never stated that! I agree that marriage is NOT about having kids! I am in total support of marriage equality for gays! Now what were you saying about my bigotry? LoL,I was agreeing with her that churches should lose their tax exempt status when they become involved with secular matters! The Constitution trumps the bible every time and always will!

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

The thing is, this "news" of all these big religious titles hating gay people isn't exactly news.
newsjunkie

Bay City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

say what? hard to believe someone who draws such erroneous conclusions on false premises could be in a position of Cardinal. ahhh, who am I kidding? the catholic church is full of idiots who are claiming to be the moral authority for the rest of us. the catholic religion is like the republican party, outdated and irrelevant. when a whole religion allows their leaders to rape children and cover it up they have forfeited even the illusion of any real leadership.

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Proud Hetero wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry kirk,but I never stated that! I agree that marriage is NOT about having kids! I am in total support of marriage equality for gays! Now what were you saying about my bigotry? LoL,I was agreeing with her that churches should lose their tax exempt status when they become involved with secular matters! The Constitution trumps the bible every time and always will!
Please accept my apology for misinterpreting your comment.

Mea Culpa
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

From the Cardinals letter explaining why the legislature should NOT legalize equality- "Human dignity and human rights are then reduced to the whims of political majorities," he writes.
This is obviously written by someone who's rights have never been withheld by the whims of the majority. Can even he be so blind to his hipocracy?
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

You hear that, all you old people that want to remarry after losing a spouse. You can't procreate, so you can't get married. So there! Hrumph! We're the catholic church and we know all about marriage. Even though none of us ARE married. But our pope has said it's so, and he's infallible, so it must be true. And he's infallible because we said so, so that also must be true. So there.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

If the cardinal is so against the state's definition of civil marriage, he can tell those priests that he has any control over to stop officiating over civil marriages. Restrict their practice to the religious rite of marriage which are the only one that are sacred.

“ TRUTH : NOT EXPEDIENCE”

Since: Nov 07

town near Jax, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Sometimes I think his (my)church is against the common good.

town near Jax, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Proud Hetero wrote:
<quoted text>
People in general who haven't been discriminated against don't seem to believe that it exists in my experience.
Churches aren't supposed to get involved in politics,'secular matters' are a GO.

Since: May 12

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

catholic churches make for great bonfires

“"Its A Brave New World"”

Since: Sep 12

London U.K.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

Catholic created gay wrote:
<quoted text>
People in general who haven't been discriminated against don't seem to believe that it exists in my experience.
Churches aren't supposed to get involved in politics,'secular matters' are a GO.
Politics are a secular matter and churches have no business becoming involved with them! Look at Prop 8 in California,take out the Catholic and Mormon money and it's a different outcome! That is a perfect example of why churches should keep their nose out!

Reading PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

NoQ wrote:
You fking Fa$$ots are all BIGOTS.
That's just laughable
crzzzd

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

youtube.com/watch...
no

town near Jax, Fl

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2013

Judged:

-Aldous Huxley- wrote:
<quoted text>
Politics are a secular matter and churches have no business becoming involved with them! Look at Prop 8 in California,take out the Catholic and Mormon money and it's a different outcome! That is a perfect example of why churches should keep their nose out!
I'm sure the Baptists came in a close 3rd in donations.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••