Some gay-rights activists regret focus on marriage

Jul 18, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Northern Michigan News

Even as it celebrates victories in the push for same-sex marriage, America's gay-rights movement is experiencing self-criticism and internal divisions over its approach to other thorny issues.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Jul 19, 2013
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Triple double malarkey to the 69th power with extra sauce!
Only a snarling evangelical infiltrator would try to sidetrack us by making the outlandish claim that only 2% of the population is gay men
We're better off continuing our successful crusade for civil rights equality
Steady as she goes; matey!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Check your backyards for agents provocateur, people.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Just more evidence gays & lesbians are like everyone else- we can't agree on anything.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Judged:

Actually many of the causes are tied together, much of the marriage Recognition issues came from people not being allowed to see their husband/wife/mate/whatever in the Hospital or hospise with HIV. Frankly, I'm not seeing much actually fall by the wayside as being postponed a bit until we get the major legal issue, Marriage" taken care of...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2013

Pagan and Proud wrote:
Actually many of the causes are tied together, much of the marriage Recognition issues came from people not being allowed to see their husband/wife/mate/whatever in the Hospital or hospise with HIV. Frankly, I'm not seeing much actually fall by the wayside as being postponed a bit until we get the major legal issue, Marriage" taken care of...
Right.

And the marriage issue certainly carries a lot of those other issues on it's coattails, don't it?

Marriage impacts so many other areas in terms of Civil Rights as a whole for LGBT people that I readily admit that I was wrong (if understandable) in my cringe at the prospect of trying to climb that Marriage Equality hill.

Despite the trumpeting of the Hares among us, there's still a lot of hard tortoise work to go.

"ActUp" will probably gather a number of our impatient and resentment-driven young firebrands under it's tent. Now if they just won't give ammo to our opposition as they have in the past, fine. Also, they need to at least check in with, and listen to, the HRC, GLAAD, LDLF, etc. so they aren't just bulls in the china shop as they have in the past.

MAKING CLAIMS of deciding influence on particular matters usually is far afield from then actual methods by which the matter was actually settled.

Despite their crowing to the contrary, they have usually been far more destructive in the long term, or just irrelevantly annoying in the short term, than they need to see themselves, or than their propagandists like to assert.

Again, remember to check your back yards for agents provocateurs quietly counseling unwise actions that will inflame moderates for the 2014 midterms.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Let's see: in the last five years we've passed Matthew Shepard/James Byrd Hate Crimes. We've ended DADT. Same-sex partners can now sponsor immigration. Transgender rights have passed in several states and localities. More cities and even small towns provide employment discrimination protections. More companies and more governments provide domestic partner benefits. Hospitals across the country must recognize same-sex partner rights.

Yep. We've really dropped the ball on all these other issues.

“I will not go quietly.”

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis Indiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

nhjeff wrote:
Let's see: in the last five years we've passed Matthew Shepard/James Byrd Hate Crimes. We've ended DADT. Same-sex partners can now sponsor immigration. Transgender rights have passed in several states and localities. More cities and even small towns provide employment discrimination protections. More companies and more governments provide domestic partner benefits. Hospitals across the country must recognize same-sex partner rights.
Yep. We've really dropped the ball on all these other issues.
Better make sure they understand your sarcasm, they've apparently been so blinded by their personal crusades they see little else.
MARC

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Latent homosexuality makes up at least 5% of the population. Every gay person knows a guy who got married, had children and later divorced to be with a man. I won't even address the fact that many homophobes are actually gay. In fact, according to major studies, 20% of respondents anonymously reported some homosexual feelings. As latent homosexuality fades in modern society, sociologists will discover that gays represent at least 15% of the population.
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

MARC wrote:
Latent homosexuality makes up at least 5% of the population. Every gay person knows a guy who got married, had children and later divorced to be with a man. I won't even address the fact that many homophobes are actually gay. In fact, according to major studies, 20% of respondents anonymously reported some homosexual feelings. As latent homosexuality fades in modern society, sociologists will discover that gays represent at least 15% of the population.
Hetero privilege is deceptive
As the balance of nature reveals itself to the uninformed; they will discover nature's perfect balance includes the distribution of sexual orientations: 50/50
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

MARC wrote:
That seems inflated, even if you re-label "bi"s a "gay".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Again, brothers and sisters, check periodically for and acid-whispering mole in your midst. If you don't know how to test for one ... LEARN.

Agent provocateurs are by their nature subtle in their insinuations.
Fabulous Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2013

Judged:

Divide and conquer was one of NOM's tactics when they tried to start a war between blacks and gays
NOM failed because they are too stupid to realize not all gay people are white
Gay people come in all the colors of the rainbow including black and white
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_lTyQ405NwjQ/SDuL4b0...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••