Chris Christie To Take Marriage Equal...

Chris Christie To Take Marriage Equality Ruling To State Supreme Court

There are 7 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Sep 30, 2013, titled Chris Christie To Take Marriage Equality Ruling To State Supreme Court. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Christie continues to cite his desire to put civil rights to the voters ignoring what that would have meant to Catholics more than 200 years ago.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus OH

#1 Sep 30, 2013
The US would still be living with Jim Crow laws in the south had all civil rights been put up the voters in the 60's. What makes that any different than with the laws that should give equal rights to the LGBT community?

Maybe we should put laws on the ballot restricting the rights of Fundamentalists. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 Sep 30, 2013
nealcmh wrote:
The US would still be living with Jim Crow laws in the south had all civil rights been put up the voters in the 60's. What makes that any different than with the laws that should give equal rights to the LGBT community?
Maybe we should put laws on the ballot restricting the rights of Fundamentalists. Give them a taste of their own medicine.
I agree ! GOOD post.
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#3 Sep 30, 2013
nealcmh wrote:
Agreed 100%

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#4 Sep 30, 2013
Bridgette wrote:
Christie is desperate to keep his job at Governor of New Jersey and has been playing a lot to the base of the Republican Party, including the Tea Party and Bigot wings
This makes it sound like Cristie's re-election next month is in some sort of doubt. In fact, Cristie is one of the more popular governors in New Jersey history, both among Republicans and Democrats. He is expected to run away with the election.

What he wants to do is maximize the margin, launching the next-big thing. On the other hand, he wants to do the next big thing with Republicans, and he's got to show his orthodoxy to national party. At the same time, he's got to continue to appear pragmatic to moderates, especially since New Jersey is heavily Democratic and, like Massachusetts, Republicans are far to the left of the national party.

But he's got no problem being re-elected. And the Republican Party is certainly not going to abandon him for his Democratic opponent.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Sep 30, 2013
nealcmh wrote:
I agree with your sentiments. But I'd oppose supporting a vote on their civil rights. 2 Wrongs don't make it right.

In a way I hope Christie or one of these States does appeal and it reaches not just the NJ Supremes but SCOTUS as well. And I hope our lawyers start citing what SCOTUS said in a 1943 decision on putting Constitutional Rights up for popular vote.

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
(West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943)

It will take time but eventually even State Constitutional bans on SSM will be struck down.

Since: Nov 09

Columbus OH

#6 Sep 30, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with your sentiments. But I'd oppose supporting a vote on their civil rights. 2 Wrongs don't make it right.
In a way I hope Christie or one of these States does appeal and it reaches not just the NJ Supremes but SCOTUS as well. And I hope our lawyers start citing what SCOTUS said in a 1943 decision on putting Constitutional Rights up for popular vote.
"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."
(West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette 1943)
It will take time but eventually even State Constitutional bans on SSM will be struck down.
I was being sarcastic. I agree that two wrongs do not make a right.

Why hasn't the LGBT community cited that decision before? It seems pretty clear to me. Thank you for the information. It was very enlightening.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#8 Oct 1, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
This makes it sound like Cristie's re-election next month is in some sort of doubt. In fact, Cristie is one of the more popular governors in New Jersey history, both among Republicans and Democrats. He is expected to run away with the election.
What he wants to do is maximize the margin, launching the next-big thing. On the other hand, he wants to do the next big thing with Republicans, and he's got to show his orthodoxy to national party. At the same time, he's got to continue to appear pragmatic to moderates, especially since New Jersey is heavily Democratic and, like Massachusetts, Republicans are far to the left of the national party.
But he's got no problem being re-elected. And the Republican Party is certainly not going to abandon him for his Democratic opponent.
Agreed. Christie's position on this is ALL about 2016.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News California Lawmakers Move to Limit Gay Conversi... 8 min Frankie Rizzo 7
News Kansas teacher moves after receiving threats fo... 18 min Frankie Rizzo 25
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 49 min Frankie Rizzo 27,991
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Respect71 60,834
News Lesbian mum told baby won't be legally register... 3 hr Murphy 1
News School textbook with gay maths problem go viral 5 hr cpeter1313 8
News Federal Labor vows to crack down on gay convers... 9 hr Tre H 2
News 'Roseanne' Star Recalls Fight to Air Controvers... Apr 20 Frankie Rizzo 103