Mass. Lawmakers Quail Before Straight...

Mass. Lawmakers Quail Before Straight Talk on Sex

There are 279 comments on the EDGE story from Apr 27, 2011, titled Mass. Lawmakers Quail Before Straight Talk on Sex. In it, EDGE reports that:

One of a number of fictitious teen characters who present straight talk on sexuality and other issues at www.mariatalks.com A website partially funded by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health has some lawmakers in that state calling for the "disgusting" site to be scrubbed from the Internet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#1 Apr 28, 2011
Of course they do -- they're christians.

Christians have always been uncomfortable with truth, because their faith itself is based on lies.
For starters, it would be more apt to name them Paulists, after the firebrand lawyer who was the real founder of the plethora of little cults now known as Christianity. There is almost no historical evidence that Jesus even existed in Palestine -- it's largely fiction! Which is why christians prefer to sweep most realities under the rug rather than confront them.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#2 Apr 28, 2011
Umninimuzi wrote:
Of course they do -- they're christians.
Christians have always been uncomfortable with truth, because their faith itself is based on lies.
For starters, it would be more apt to name them Paulists, after the firebrand lawyer who was the real founder of the plethora of little cults now known as Christianity. There is almost no historical evidence that Jesus even existed in Palestine -- it's largely fiction! Which is why christians prefer to sweep most realities under the rug rather than confront them.
Why is it so easy for people to attack Chritianity? 70% of the population in this country identify with Christianity. The title of the article is humorous. "Mass. Lawmakers Quail Before Straight Talk on Sex." The 'straight talk on sex' is the part I find funny.
Mariatalks.com is operated by the AAC.
http://www.aac.org/site/PageServer...

Talk about dealing with realities. To believe that the HIV epidemic is caused by "racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, poverty, and violence" is as far from reality as one can get. The fact is, according to the CDC, male to male sex is by far the leading cause of the HIV epidemic and they are the only group that continues to have a growing number of infections each year.
About 4% of the population responsible for spreading over 50% of the new cases each year.
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/re...

I have no real problem with the mariatalks website but I think the state could find better place to put their $100,000.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#4 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it so easy for people to attack Chritianity? 70% of the population in this country identify with Christianity. The title of the article is humorous. "Mass. Lawmakers Quail Before Straight Talk on Sex." The 'straight talk on sex' is the part I find funny.
Talk about dealing with realities. To believe that the HIV epidemic is caused by "racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, poverty, and violence" is as far from reality as one can get. The fact is, according to the CDC, male to male sex is by far the leading cause of the HIV epidemic and they are the only group that continues to have a growing number of infections each year.
About 4% of the population responsible for spreading over 50% of the new cases each year.
I have no real problem with the mariatalks website but I think the state could find better place to put their $100,000.
If folks like you would quit spreading false information; $100,000 training videos wouldn't be necessary
Anonymous

Jackson, NJ

#5 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Still at it, eh?

Incapable of being corrected, eh?

HIV causes AIDS, not sex.

Blaming the victims does NOTHING to help. But I doubt if you are interested in helping. You enjoy (falsely) pointing the finger of blame too much.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#6 Apr 28, 2011
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
If folks like you would quit spreading false information; $100,000 training videos wouldn't be necessary
You can take that up with the CDC.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Apr 28, 2011
Aida Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
HIV causes AIDS, not sex.
Duh? Agreed. Male to male sex is the leading cause of spreading HIV.
Speedieg

United States

#8 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true the exchange of effected bodily fluids is the primary method of contracting HIV. Given the spread of this virus in Africa it is clearly a human problem. I suspect that the statistics in the US are skewed do to the fact that gay men get tested. Many hetero sexuals could benpositive and not know it until they become I'll. Even when the do they don't admit it due to the GAY stigma that still exists.
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#9 Apr 28, 2011
I chked out the site - there is NOTHING wrong with it..it GIVES FREE & ACCURATE advise ....ahh that's the problem - its Accurate and free, thats WHY they don't like it...oh and there's NO mention of Cheezus either.(How much to I hate Republicans - Let me count the ways)
Disgusted American

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Nooo statisically Hetetrosexual sex IS the leading cause.....
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#11 Apr 28, 2011
Disgusted American wrote:
<quoted text>Nooo statisically Hetetrosexual sex IS the leading cause.....
Not in this country. Here in the US, among the 'educated', one of the diseases most easy to avoid is spread by male to male sex. Approximately 4% of the population is responsible for well over half of all new infections.

Sausalito, CA

#12 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who would you blame for the spread of Syphilis and Gonorrhea which heterosexuals have transmitted for centuries?! And Herpes?
The existence of such diseases can't reasonably stop humans from having sex, can it? STDs, including HIV, are no different from other diseases which plague humankind. Who caused the rampant leprosy that your fictional Jesus spent so much time healing?

You and your talibangelical brethren are always so willing to isolate certain tragedies to blame on the homosexuals ... and then yesterday tornadoes rip through Alabama destroying christian churches along with all the rest, making no distinction. Right there, that should be an indication to you that your reasoning is not based on truth. But no ... you're a christian, so it feels good to blame the evil on others, while you remain righteous.

Hypocrite.
Anonymous

Jackson, NJ

#13 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
No.. UNprotected sex is the leading cause of spreading HIV.

Do I need to remind you of "frog with no legs can't hear?"
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#15 Apr 28, 2011
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Then who would you blame for the spread of Syphilis and Gonorrhea which heterosexuals have transmitted for centuries?! And Herpes?
The existence of such diseases can't reasonably stop humans from having sex, can it? STDs, including HIV, are no different from other diseases which plague humankind. Who caused the rampant leprosy that your fictional Jesus spent so much time healing?
You and your talibangelical brethren are always so willing to isolate certain tragedies to blame on the homosexuals ... and then yesterday tornadoes rip through Alabama destroying christian churches along with all the rest, making no distinction. Right there, that should be an indication to you that your reasoning is not based on truth. But no ... you're a christian, so it feels good to blame the evil on others, while you remain righteous.
Hypocrite.
HIV isn't different than syphilis and gonorrhea?
Homosexuals weren't involved in the spread of those diseases?
Is there more info out there today than ever before on how to protect yourself from STD's?
Why is 4% of the popualion in this country responsible for over half of new cases of HIV every year?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#16 Apr 28, 2011
Aida Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
No.. UNprotected sex is the leading cause of spreading HIV.
Believe whatever makes you feel best.

Sausalito, CA

#17 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
... and yes, it is very easy to take on the christians, because they are simply incapable of leaving other people in peace! This country is indeed dominated by christians, as you point out, and as a result we are often the laughing stock of the world. The fact that many members of our Congress continue to deny the science on things such as evolution, global warming, and yes, homosexuality, is laughable. The fact that they have been kicking and screaming about letting homosexuals serve in the armed forces in view of the whole civilized world is beyond absurd. This is precisely the kind of pettiness that would make an issue out of this president's birth certificate when we never demanded the same of any previous president.

No wonder we have problems, and christianity is at the root of it. They would have us go back to the early part of the previous century when homosexuals were in the closet, slaves were out in the open (but away from us!), everyone carried a Bible around, and kids spent their time muttering prayers in school. Surely you can't be so stupid that you don't see how ludicrous it all is!

Sausalito, CA

#18 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
HIV isn't different than syphilis and gonorrhea?
Homosexuals weren't involved in the spread of those diseases?
Is there more info out there today than ever before on how to protect yourself from STD's?
Why is 4% of the popualion in this country responsible for over half of new cases of HIV every year?
You are a waste of time. Donald Trump SHOULD be your president.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#19 Apr 28, 2011
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
... and yes, it is very easy to take on the christians, because they are simply incapable of leaving other people in peace! This country is indeed dominated by christians, as you point out, and as a result we are often the laughing stock of the world. The fact that many members of our Congress continue to deny the science on things such as evolution, global warming, and yes, homosexuality, is laughable. The fact that they have been kicking and screaming about letting homosexuals serve in the armed forces in view of the whole civilized world is beyond absurd. This is precisely the kind of pettiness that would make an issue out of this president's birth certificate when we never demanded the same of any previous president.
No wonder we have problems, and christianity is at the root of it. They would have us go back to the early part of the previous century when homosexuals were in the closet, slaves were out in the open (but away from us!), everyone carried a Bible around, and kids spent their time muttering prayers in school. Surely you can't be so stupid that you don't see how ludicrous it all is!
America, the world leader for so long is about to give up it's title. We are so behind in economic, environmental, human rights, and progressive priorities that we are being left in the dust. Instead, the conservative republicans continue to focus on everything but our countries survival. As you stated, we are the laughing stock of the free world, and the others are starting to snicker as well.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Apr 28, 2011
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a waste of time. Donald Trump SHOULD be your president.
I decided if I posted a response in the form of questions I would get the typical cop-out. Still batting 1000.
Anonymous

Jackson, NJ

#21 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Believe whatever makes you feel best.
Huh?

I choose to believe in the facts, NOT distortions.

Not that YOU would understand the difference.

You are NEVER going to get any doctor, or scientist to say that male/male sex is the cause of AIDS. NEVER.

You have made it abundantly clear that you are incapable of being corrected.
Anonymous

Jackson, NJ

#22 Apr 28, 2011
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
I decided if I posted a response in the form of questions I would get the typical cop-out. Still batting 1000.
Huh????

Man..... you ARE retarded.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The anti-Nadler landslide 33 min Fundies R Mentall... 4
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 45 min Frankie Rizzo 68,799
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 45 min GayleWood 37,409
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 47 min Frankie Rizzo 942
At what age were you born queer? 52 min Frankie Rizzo 8
News Pentagon Ends Transgender Ban 53 min BBM 7
News New survey doubles the estimate of transgender ... 1 hr Fundies R Mentall... 5
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 13,166
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 5 hr WasteWater 991
More from around the web