Philadelphia Gives Boy Scouts Ultimatum

Philadelphia Gives Boy Scouts Ultimatum

There are 1996 comments on the www.washingtonpost.com story from Nov 20, 2007, titled Philadelphia Gives Boy Scouts Ultimatum. In it, www.washingtonpost.com reports that:

PHILADELPHIA -- This may be the last free Thanksgiving dinner for the Boy Scouts of Philadelphia. Citing a local 1982 "fair practices" law, the city solicitor has given the Scouts until Dec. 3 to renounce its policy of excluding homosexuals or forfeit the grand, Beaux-Arts building it has rented from the city for $1 a year since 1928. "While we respect the right of the Boy Scouts to prohibit participation in its activities by homosexuals," the solicitor, Romulo Diaz, said last week in an interview, "we will not subsidize that discrimination by passing on the costs to the people of Philadelphia." The city has yet to complete an official assessment of the property. But it has tentatively placed the market value at $200,000 a year and has invited the Boy Scouts to remain in the nearly 100-year-old building as paying tenants.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.washingtonpost.com.

First Prev
of 100
Next Last
Joe

United States

#3 Nov 20, 2007
Who would ever have thought?
Gay Boy Scout?
LOL
I support the Boy Scout's decision 100%.
Why do people always want to be, and demand to be, where they aren't welcome?
I will never understand that to the end of my days. If I know I am not welcome some place, I won't go. Why would I even want to go?
To try to force my self and beliefs on where I am not welcome?
This is America folks.
Maybe that's why they invented Wecome mats.
Get over it. Good Grief.
Justin

United States

#6 Nov 20, 2007
Joe wrote:
Who would ever have thought?
Gay Boy Scout?
LOL
I support the Boy Scout's decision 100%.
Why do people always want to be, and demand to be, where they aren't welcome?
I will never understand that to the end of my days. If I know I am not welcome some place, I won't go. Why would I even want to go?
To try to force my self and beliefs on where I am not welcome?
This is America folks.
Maybe that's why they invented Wecome mats.
Get over it. Good Grief.
Your post is quite hilarious. Gays have every right to join the boy scouts and are only denied because of a thing called discrimination. And why are you jumping to the conclusion that gay kids want to join to 'force their beliefs' on other scouts?

And I have news for you.....I've been a scout and hooked up with other scouts when I was a mid teenager. I know tons of other scouts who were also gay and hooked up with other scouts. Not condoning youngsters hooking up at an early age but it does happen and is quite common. There's a large amount of scouts who are gay/bi but are being taught it's a bad thing which is quite frankly sick and sad.
Homofascist Mark

Chicago, IL

#7 Nov 20, 2007
Clearly Rock and Joe are too dense to understand the issue here. Rock - my "agenda" is not hate based - quite the opposite, actually. I certainly don't put my "agenda" against anyone else's, African American or otherwise. My "agenda" is to stop discrimination. Joe - I DON'T want to joint the scouts. They are perfectly welcome to their beliefs and they are perfectly welcome to exclude whomever they choose to exclude in their PRIVATE organization (by the way, how would YOU feel if they excluded - say - white people, or Christians - or some other group that you belong to? That's for another post, I guess).

The issue, people, is that if they CHOOSE to discriminate against gays, in direct controvention of the antidiscrimination policies and statutes of states and municipalities, it becomes ILLEGAL for those states and municipalities to subsidize their activities.

To use shorter words, they can discriminate all they like, but I don't have to pay for it.
Justin

United States

#8 Nov 20, 2007
Hahaha.....just wanted to clarify that my second paragraph was illustrating that gays are already present in the scouts and have been for years. It's quite funny that the boy scouts denies scouts on homosexuality when there are quite a few already in there. I guess it's the equal of the military's stance that you can join just as long as you don't talk about it :(
Joe

United States

#10 Nov 20, 2007
Homofascist Mark wrote:
Clearly Rock and Joe are too dense to understand the issue here. Rock - my "agenda" is not hate based - quite the opposite, actually. I certainly don't put my "agenda" against anyone else's, African American or otherwise. My "agenda" is to stop discrimination. Joe - I DON'T want to joint the scouts. They are perfectly welcome to their beliefs and they are perfectly welcome to exclude whomever they choose to exclude in their PRIVATE organization (by the way, how would YOU feel if they excluded - say - white people, or Christians - or some other group that you belong to? That's for another post, I guess).
The issue, people, is that if they CHOOSE to discriminate against gays, in direct controvention of the antidiscrimination policies and statutes of states and municipalities, it becomes ILLEGAL for those states and municipalities to subsidize their activities.
To use shorter words, they can discriminate all they like, but I don't have to pay for it.
Whites are already discriminated against by the blacks. Per Black History Month, how many other things have black on the front of the title? Isn't this discrimination to you?
Joe

United States

#11 Nov 20, 2007
Justin wrote:
Hahaha.....just wanted to clarify that my second paragraph was illustrating that gays are already present in the scouts and have been for years. It's quite funny that the boy scouts denies scouts on homosexuality when there are quite a few already in there. I guess it's the equal of the military's stance that you can join just as long as you don't talk about it :(
Then why don't you go join the military, Justin?
Chicken?
Junker

Lilburn, GA

#12 Nov 20, 2007
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Whites are already discriminated against by the blacks. Per Black History Month, how many other things have black on the front of the title? Isn't this discrimination to you?
Joe, do not worry. You have not been discriminated against.

I think National Bigot Day is coming up soon.

They dumbed down our educational system for you.

They have even allowed you to use a computer so that you can share your wonderful ideas and opinions with the rest of the world.

How much more can you ask for?

“How'd you like 2 be treated?”

Since: Sep 07

Long Beach, CA

#13 Nov 20, 2007
Joe wrote:
Who would ever have thought?
Gay Boy Scout?
LOL
I support the Boy Scout's decision 100%.
Why do people always want to be, and demand to be, where they aren't welcome?
I will never understand that to the end of my days. If I know I am not welcome some place, I won't go. Why would I even want to go?
To try to force my self and beliefs on where I am not welcome?
This is America folks.
Maybe that's why they invented Wecome mats.
Get over it. Good Grief.
http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-503a.ht...

Boy Scout Oath, Law, Motto, and Slogan

Nowhere does it say exclude and ostracize
Joe

United States

#14 Nov 20, 2007
Thank you, Junker.
Yes, I am and proud of it.
You can be a kiss a** to everyone if you want, I refuse.
Justin

United States

#15 Nov 20, 2007
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't you go join the military, Justin?
Chicken?
Alright.....I'll play along because your response makes no sense whatsoever......Because I don't trust the government enough to allow them to lock me into an agreement in which they could do whatever they please during my service time. I support the folks who serve in the military but I would never join up which is clearly my right of choice. I've had an uncle and a close friend who the government screwed over and had no regards in treating them badly even though they were helping their country.

Junker---Your post is great and so true. Thankfully people like "Joe" are becoming less and less. Hatred will die out sooner than later and it will be great to see idiots like him have to deal with equal rights for everybody.
Justin

United States

#16 Nov 20, 2007
Joe wrote:
U R So Right
it is a bad thing to be gay.
And teens should not engage in sexual acts.
And NO ONE should reveal their preferences. This also is sick.
And your ways of thinking and beliefs are sick......but deep down I'm sure you know that already. Bigots like you make me sick.
Joe

United States

#17 Nov 20, 2007
Hatred won't die out. It will only be silent, like so many of you are now. Afraid to say what you really feel.
Example:
If I don't like turkey then why do I have to eat it just because it is what everyone else does on Thanksgiving?
So then why do I have to feel like you say you do? This I don't get at all.
Someone is an idiot or bigot if they don't agree with you?
This is the way this country got in the mess it is now. You must be politically correct on everything you say or do. Or you might offend someone. Well, tough.
Joe

United States

#18 Nov 20, 2007
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
And your ways of thinking and beliefs are sick......but deep down I'm sure you know that already. Bigots like you make me sick.
Tee Hee
Don't puke on your shoes.
Wayne

Bangkok, Thailand

#19 Nov 20, 2007
Getting back to the subject: Congratulations, Philadelphia, city of BROTHERLY love, but why did it take you so long? Guess you'll be hearing from the bigotfascists (above) if they have the guts to come out of their "closet" and reveal themselves. Just stick to your guns (ha, ha).

:D

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#21 Nov 20, 2007
Junker wrote:
<quoted text>
Joe, do not worry. You have not been discriminated against.
I think National Bigot Day is coming up soon.
They dumbed down our educational system for you.
They have even allowed you to use a computer so that you can share your wonderful ideas and opinions with the rest of the world.
How much more can you ask for?
and I know I'm opening a can of worms here but they ahave also dumbed down the miltary (is that even possible?).
Used to be you had to meet certain educational standards and have a pretty clean criminal record. But now that we have the war on terror, out leaders have discovered a very clever way of ethnic cleansing of our own. Send the undisirables to war and give them lousy equipment even worse leadership and then have Fred Phelps protest at their funerals after their families pick up the body bag

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#22 Nov 20, 2007
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright.....I'll play along because your response makes no sense whatsoever......Because I don't trust the government enough to allow them to lock me into an agreement in which they could do whatever they please during my service time. I support the folks who serve in the military but I would never join up which is clearly my right of choice. I've had an uncle and a close friend who the government screwed over and had no regards in treating them badly even though they were helping their country.
Junker---Your post is great and so true. Thankfully people like "Joe" are becoming less and less. Hatred will die out sooner than later and it will be great to see idiots like him have to deal with equal rights for everybody.
Your post remonded me of something I came across 8 months ago. The "Joes" are a dying breed. A pol conducted by Bob Dole's former polling cheif revealed the following:

Poll shows GOP voters trending positive on some gay issues

–77% of Republicans believe an employer should not have the right to fire an employee based solely on their sexual orientation; and even among social conservatives, 67% say an employer should not be able to fire someone for being gay.

–49% believe gays and lesbians should be able to serve openly in the U.S. military, while 42% are opposed.

–43% of Republicans support either marriage equality or civil unions. 51% oppose all relationship recognition.

–53% of respondents agree that the Republican Party has spent too much time focusing on moral issues such as abortion and gay marriage and should instead be spending time focusing on economic issues such as taxes and government spending.

–When asked,“What issue do you think best defines the Republican Party today?” only 5% said “traditional marriage/family values;” 85% selected issues like the war on terrorism, immigration, homeland security, national defense, taxes and the economy.

The poll included Republicans from all parts of the country—with the largest percentage (38%) from the South— and was conducted by GOP strategist Tony Fabrizio, Sen. Bob Dole’s former pollster.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid4691 ...
Vincent

United States

#23 Nov 20, 2007
It is horrible that Philadelphia wants to discriminate against Boy Scouts becaue they uphold moral views. It denies inner city African Americans the opportunity that most others have, and all because of homofascist hate!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#24 Nov 20, 2007
Vincent wrote:
It is horrible that Philadelphia wants to discriminate against Boy Scouts becaue they uphold moral views. It denies inner city African Americans the opportunity that most others have, and all because of homofascist hate!
Answer me this, would you be willing to give taxpayer support to the Boy Scouts if they still discriminated against African-Americans? Afterall, they are a private organization and it should be their right to exclude whoever they want, right? The fact is the city of Philadelphia has given them a fair choice, either cease discriminating or don't expect tax payers to subsidize their chosen bigotry. This isn't homofacism as you call it but an issue of fundamental fairness.

“Fight bigotry.”

Since: Feb 07

Toms River, NJ

#25 Nov 20, 2007
Wil, if the Boy Scouts can't abide by city law in Philadelphia, they lose their special privileges, it's that simple.
Rock wrote:
It is sick that homofascists place their hate based agenda ahead of African American youth having the opportunity to engage in Scouting.
This truly reveals the hate and illogic that lie at the base of the homofascist agenda!

Since: Dec 06

Plainfield, IL

#29 Nov 20, 2007
Well, Joe, there ARE gay scouts, even if that is fact is beyond the ability of your tiny mind to comprehend. The Supreme Court decision to allow the scouts, as a private organization, to discriminate against gay scouts followed their expulsion of an Eagle Scout who was serving as an Assistant Scoutmaster. There was never a problem with this young man; in fact, his own troop wanted him to remain as an ASM. But when his college paper interviewed him as an officer of his college's GSA, the national organization (which has become a puppet of rightwing fundies) stepped in.

I also was a gay Eagle Scout. There are many others. In fact, one evening at a gay club, I was chatting with an ex-boyfriend, his new boyfriend, and a friend of theirs when the subject of the BSA anti-gay policy came up. It turned out that 3 of the 4 of us were Eagle Scouts.

Clearly, your mind is also unable to grasp the principle of freedom of association. The BSA indeed has the right to discriminate against whomever it wishes -- as long as it is considered a PRIVATE organization. That was the basis of their defense before the Supreme Court. But in winning their case and establishing themselves as a private organization, they gave up their right to receive special privileges granted to PUBLIC organizations. They can still use the facilities in Philadelphia; they simply have to pay the same rental fees that are charged to other PRIVATE organizations. The public taxpayers -- a number of whom are gay -- do not have to support PRIVATE organizations which choose to discriminate.

And THAT is America, Joe. Get over it!
Joe wrote:
Who would ever have thought?
Gay Boy Scout?
LOL
I support the Boy Scout's decision 100%.
Why do people always want to be, and demand to be, where they aren't welcome?
I will never understand that to the end of my days. If I know I am not welcome some place, I won't go. Why would I even want to go?
To try to force my self and beliefs on where I am not welcome?
This is America folks.
Maybe that's why they invented Wecome mats.
Get over it. Good Grief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 100
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Frankie Rizzo 49,197
Jade's Turkey Lodge and Cafe 14 min Frankie Rizzo 12
News Two men caned 83 times at Indonesian mosque for... 19 min Logic Analysis 12
News Two men caned in Indonesia for gay sex 25 min Frankie Rizzo 22
News S. Korean military court convicts soldier over ... 26 min Logic Analysis 7
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 38 min June VanDerMark 13,555
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 25,603
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 2 hr Eagle 12 411
News AIDS Walk New York and Gay Men's Health Crisis:... 2 hr Hank 24
More from around the web