Dan Savage: Homophobia's not going away

Dan Savage: Homophobia's not going away

There are 7 comments on the www.salon.com story from Jul 20, 2013, titled Dan Savage: Homophobia's not going away. In it, www.salon.com reports that:

Writing a sex advice column sounds like a fun gig, but not a stepping stone to media domination.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.salon.com.

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#1 Jul 20, 2013
Of course it's not going away. Ask any atheist why religion isn't goign away.

Bigotry is founded on the ignorance of religion and other absolutism, all of which require no intelligence. Ignorance is easy, education and thinking require work, something the mentally lazy are unwilling to do.

Since: Jan 08

Bang Khanak, Thailand

#2 Jul 20, 2013
Some people just have to have someone to look down on or just hate. So there will always be racism, bigotry, and homophobia. The best we can do is to shame them into silence, which has pretty much kept racism under wraps and, to a certain extent, homophobia. Hopefully, as time goes by these prejudices will gradually be eliminated. Are there still anti-Irish feelings in Massachusetts?
Sully

Dallas, TX

#3 Jul 21, 2013
I hate queers!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Jul 21, 2013
P_Smith wrote:
Of course it's not going away. Ask any atheist why religion isn't goign away.
Bigotry is founded on the ignorance of religion and other absolutism, all of which require no intelligence. Ignorance is easy, education and thinking require work, something the mentally lazy are unwilling to do.
I have spiritual beliefs. And you are a jerk for lumping me into the same category you use for every other person of faith who doesn't bow to your slogans.

It's people of faith like me that helped change the religious views of others. Your "being religious is stupid" didn't do crap to make this a better world.

You should have thought a second longer before your friend told you to stick you head between your knees and jump. I wouldn't have jumped!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Jul 21, 2013
Sully wrote:
I hate queers!
We know. That's why you post on every gay thread!

Can't stop thinking about us.

http://www.pinkfreud.blogger.com.br/PinkFreuD...

http://weheartit.com/entry/66640477

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#6 Jul 22, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I have spiritual beliefs. And you are a jerk for lumping me into the same category you use for every other person of faith who doesn't bow to your slogans.
It's people of faith like me that helped change the religious views of others. Your "being religious is stupid" didn't do crap to make this a better world.
You should have thought a second longer before your friend told you to stick you head between your knees and jump. I wouldn't have jumped!
He never said that ALL people of faith fit into that category.

My husband's entire family and half of my own family are "practicing" christians of some flavor. Everywhere from extreme fundamentalists to pretend Catholics that drop their kids off to Catechism while they go to breakfast (instead of attending church).

With an exception or two, they are ALL lovely people. Seriously. Hypocrisy aside, lovely people that I enjoy spending time with.

But I have to admit, it IS difficult for me to not see most of them as somewhat clueless about the human condition when, during a discussion of some intriguing moral issue, the best and only answer they can ever come up with is "God said so."

They choose not to think for themselves because it's simply tons easier to say, "God said so and that's enough for me. I'm good to go."

Granted, many people of faith are perfectly comfortable having intelligent discussions on issues of morality and respect for others, but honestly, I think those people are the unicorns of their group.

I got really excited once because one of my cousins told me that he and his fiance were participating in an adult "Bible Discussion" group in their Catholic Church. I though, "Wow!! FINALLY someone that can carry on an intelligent discussion about the Bible!!" WRONG!!! To them, "Bible Discussion" means, "We pick out a verse and the priest tells us what it means."

(heavy sigh....)

Since: Sep 10

Earth

#7 Jul 22, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
He never said that ALL people of faith fit into that category.
Glad to see someone is rational around here. Are there any ethical theists? Sure, but invariably they're the ones who never talk about it in public unless asked, and they don't want religion in schools, laws or government. The only ethical theists are closet theists.

DumbNutFool is what I call an "exception nazi", similar to "grammar nazi": They falsely claim that a statement which applies to most people is being applied to all. They deliberately lie and misconstrue a point - that because a speaker did not account for or list every songle possibility in the universe, that the statement does not have any validity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 min who cares 14,561
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Brian_G 38,356
News NBA Moves All-Star Game Out of North Carolina O... 1 hr Southern girl 17
Why Do People Turn Gay? 1 hr Fa-Foxy 57
News Lawsuit Over Public Urinal 2 hr I know that thing 11
News HBO's cancelled gay drama 'Looking' provides cl... 2 hr Clarence 12
News 'Disordered eating' rates troubling among young... 2 hr Clarence 11
News Judge to monitor Kansas' actions on gay marriag... 8 hr Here is what I 18
More from around the web