Kansas Debates 'Protections' For Gay ...

Kansas Debates 'Protections' For Gay Rights Foes

There are 51 comments on the EDGE story from Mar 6, 2014, titled Kansas Debates 'Protections' For Gay Rights Foes. In it, EDGE reports that:

Legislators are reopening a debate on whether Kansas should enact special legal protections for people, groups and businesses opposing gay marriage for religious reasons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Mar 6, 2014
Now I remember why it was that I refused to rent to anyone but gays and lesbians when I had apartment buildings. Was it right and moral? Nope. But it sure was satisfying to me.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 6, 2014
Oh yeah, and if I still had those buildings, I would continue to do the same thing, until and unless we were to gain full equality.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#3 Mar 6, 2014
Do these idiots EVER learn that their religious freedoms DON'T get to trump the Constitution? I mean all they are doing is setting themselves up to be sued!!!

Stupid should hurt in order for one NOT to continue to do it!!!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Mar 6, 2014
I take this as a sign they've resigned themselves to marriage equality being the law of the land soon.

They know they've lost the war, but are trying to get better terms of surrender.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Mar 6, 2014
Why are gays winning every battle in this war?

Gays are for real in the here and now
Religion is self-professed behavior that can't be independently verified
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#6 Mar 6, 2014
A tacit admission of wrongdoing .. Not much psychological acumen from these legislators ..

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#7 Mar 6, 2014
What we are witnessing, and what a lot of people don't realize, is the end of the Union. The United States is breaking up. It needn't become another civil war, but mass protests and widespread acts of civil disobedience will accomplish the same thing, as we have seen in other countries these past few years that brought down governments. We can call it the "American Spring."

A country cannot hold together without the cooperation of the people, short of becoming a completely totalitarian regime, and it seems this cooperation is beginning to elude us.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8 Mar 7, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
What we are witnessing, and what a lot of people don't realize, is the end of the Union. The United States is breaking up..........
Hardly. Are bigots REALLY that stupid?
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#9 Mar 7, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
What we are witnessing, and what a lot of people don't realize, is the end of the Union. The United States is breaking up. It needn't become another civil war, but mass protests and widespread acts of civil disobedience will accomplish the same thing, as we have seen in other countries these past few years that brought down governments. We can call it the "American Spring."
A country cannot hold together without the cooperation of the people, short of becoming a completely totalitarian regime, and it seems this cooperation is beginning to elude us.
Criminalizing evangelical fundamentalist terrorism will solve the problem
EF's have been a pain in the drain from the git-go since 1952
Enough is enough
Larry

Richardson, TX

#10 Mar 7, 2014
I will spent my money where it is accepted without strings. Kansas is heading down the slippery slop. And a State with no money. Business will not anchor there nor will company move to a State trying to divide people.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#11 Mar 7, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
Do these idiots EVER learn that their religious freedoms DON'T get to trump the Constitution? I mean all they are doing is setting themselves up to be sued!!!
Stupid should hurt in order for one NOT to continue to do it!!!
Kansas is probably the REDDEST state in the midwest. It bleeds red. Not to mention a idiot for a governor.

“Take Topix Back From Trolls”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#12 Mar 7, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
What's the deal, you're TV remote is broken and it's stuck on Fox News right?

#13 Mar 7, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
<quoted text>Kansas is probably the REDDEST state in the midwest. It bleeds red. Not to mention a idiot for a governor.
Interesting that it bleeds red when in order to do that, there MUST be oxygen and Kansas DOESN'T seem to have enough of that......maybe that's why they keep making the same mistake over and over again.........again, stupid should hurt!!!

#14 Mar 7, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
The United States ISN'T breaking up, but the Evangelistic Fundamentalist are sure trying to make this Country a Theocracy by trying to IMPOSE their specific religious beliefs ON everyone!!!

You're delusional.......what will you do when a woman is President in 2016? As long as politicians continue to use their religious beliefs to make policies INSTEAD of worrying about the REAL problems that this Country faces........these issues will continue to polarize the people......in fact, most folks DON'T have an issue with Gays and Lesbians getting married and most Gays and Lesbians are just everyday normal people trying to live their lives......but it is the EVANGELISTIC FUNDAMENTALIST who feel the NEED to push their religious views on to everyone else.......like the florist in Washington.....was it really necessary for her to invoke her belief in Jesus when denying the Gay couple flowers? No, it wasn't.....but she felt that her religious beliefs had some right to trump the ANTI-DISCRIMINATION policy in Washington.........this is where the problem lies!!!
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#15 Mar 7, 2014
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. Are bigots REALLY that stupid?
Take my word for it, they are.

Location hidden

#16 Mar 7, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
The United States ISN'T breaking up, but the Evangelistic Fundamentalist are sure trying to make this Country a Theocracy by trying to IMPOSE their specific religious beliefs ON everyone!!!
You're delusional.......what will you do when a woman is President in 2016? As long as politicians continue to use their religious beliefs to make policies INSTEAD of worrying about the REAL problems that this Country faces........these issues will continue to polarize the people......in fact, most folks DON'T have an issue with Gays and Lesbians getting married and most Gays and Lesbians are just everyday normal people trying to live their lives......but it is the EVANGELISTIC FUNDAMENTALIST who feel the NEED to push their religious views on to everyone else.......like the florist in Washington.....was it really necessary for her to invoke her belief in Jesus when denying the Gay couple flowers? No, it wasn't.....but she felt that her religious beliefs had some right to trump the ANTI-DISCRIMINATION policy in Washington.........this is where the problem lies!!!
-
Secular, atheist, pervert filth are the ones trying to impose their beliefs. Christians want to be left alone, but secular, atheist, pervert filth don't leave them alone. Those gays didn't have to sue the baker, the florist and the photographer. They could have left them alone and taken their business elsewhere. In no way were the baker, the florist and the photographer burdening the liberty of those gay couples. In no way were they taking away any of their liberties. But secular, atheist, pervert filth want to force people into involuntary servitude.

It is indefensible what secular, atheist, pervert filth are doing.

Location hidden

#17 Mar 7, 2014
Gremlin wrote:
<quoted text>Take my word for it, they are.
-
That's because it takes one to know one.

#18 Mar 7, 2014
Charlie Feather wrote:
<quoted text>-
Secular, atheist, pervert filth are the ones trying to impose their beliefs. Christians want to be left alone, but secular, atheist, pervert filth don't leave them alone. Those gays didn't have to sue the baker, the florist and the photographer. They could have left them alone and taken their business elsewhere. In no way were the baker, the florist and the photographer burdening the liberty of those gay couples. In no way were they taking away any of their liberties. But secular, atheist, pervert filth want to force people into involuntary servitude.
It is indefensible what secular, atheist, pervert filth are doing.
REAL Christians have NO issues with Gays and Lesbians getting married or providing services from their PUBLIC businesses......it's EVANGELISTIC FUNDAMENTALIST and TEA BAGGERS that do!!!

They should have just gone elsewhere, just like the Blacks could have gone elsewhere to eat at the lunch counter, right? Sorry, but at some point in time ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and folks will take a stand and fight back....hence the lawsuits!!!

Location hidden

#19 Mar 7, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
-
The US is breaking up. The sentiment is there. It is like a pressure cooker that is about to blow; everything looks normal, and there doesn't seem to be any exterior signs that anything is about to happen. And then suddenly it blows. All the examples of the governments that were toppled in North Africa and the Middle East, which looked like business as usual, could happen here when there is unrest and the government loses the cooperation of the people. Ukraine, Venezuela, Turkey are the latest examples. And there is unrest here, and cooperation is fading. You don't get out much and interact with the other side, so you are insulated from the sentiment. But it is there among lots and lots of people.

I tell you, I, as an American, always believed in the Union. But that belief has changed. When democracy undermines the culture and the values of our civilization, then we don't need no stinkin' democracy! There are many like me. Things change, feelings change, people change, circumstances change. Just like with gay marriage, and how its advocates are always telling us that things change, well, yes, I agree with them. Things do change, and I'm ready for one.

Nearly a century and a half ago, Americans already proved that they can rebel. It can happen again. Only the mid-terms of 2014 might hold that off, but if Democrats like the traitor Obama get in, then there will be trouble.

Location hidden

#20 Mar 7, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
REAL Christians have NO issues with Gays and Lesbians getting married or providing services from their PUBLIC businesses......it's EVANGELISTIC FUNDAMENTALIST and TEA BAGGERS that do!!!
They should have just gone elsewhere, just like the Blacks could have gone elsewhere to eat at the lunch counter, right? Sorry, but at some point in time ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and folks will take a stand and fight back....hence the lawsuits!!!
-
You don't know what issues REAL Christians have, because you are not one.

I am sympathetic to black people who were the victims of racism, as I have also, been a victim of racism, but I would not have made bad laws that infringe upon the liberties even of bigots. I would not have permitted institutional racism, however; that is, racism that is codified in law. State laws under Jim Crow actually forbade white businesses that wanted to serve black customers from doing so. This is how government infringes upon the liberty of people. That is wrong, because it is unconstitutional. But in the private sphere, different rules apply. Private businesses are akin to private clubs that can choose their membership. Freedom of association is a fundamental liberty guaranteed in the 1st Amendment.

Those are the rules; I didn't make them; live with the consequences.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 7 min Get Real 9,780
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 7 min Clark 1
News Brazil judge rules homosexuality a disease, app... 22 min Clark 3
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 24 min Clark 3
News Once seen as Ireland's Justin Trudeau, progress... 26 min Clark 1
News Michigan sued after gay couples are rejected fo... 28 min Clark 11
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 53 min neighbor 2,398
News Anti-Gay Obama Graffiti Vandal to Spend 90 Days... 1 hr Imprtnrd 16
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Facts Matter 56,038
News Postal survey: gay Muslims shake off conservati... 1 hr T-bag 26
News Worker fired for same sex 'No' vote hits out 13 hr Prosperity Fundie... 11
More from around the web