Mexico's First Gay Mayor Elected Amid...

Mexico's First Gay Mayor Elected Amid Machismo and Drug Violence

There are 13 comments on the EDGE story from Jul 18, 2013, titled Mexico's First Gay Mayor Elected Amid Machismo and Drug Violence. In it, EDGE reports that:

Mexico's first openly gay elected mayor is set to take office in a rough-and-tumble part of Zacatecas state known for cowboy boots, embossed belts and drug gang shootouts.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Bruno Mauricio de Zabala

Dallas, TX

#2 Jul 18, 2013
He opposes "Gay Marriage" so that means he favors promiscuity?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#3 Jul 19, 2013
This is great!

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#5 Jul 19, 2013
Bruno Mauricio de Zabala wrote:
It sounds like he is sweeping his support for marriage equality under the rug in order to get along. He's unwilling to challenge the Roman Catholic Church, and he doesn't want to pick a fight that he can only lose with his constituents.

It's not entirely clear, but his remarks suggest to me that he would support marriage equality if the environment were more hospitable.

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#6 Jul 19, 2013
What book did you get that little bon mot from?
Bruno Mauricio de Zabala wrote:

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#7 Jul 19, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like he is sweeping his support for marriage equality under the rug in order to get along. He's unwilling to challenge the Roman Catholic Church, and he doesn't want to pick a fight that he can only lose with his constituents.
It's not entirely clear, but his remarks suggest to me that he would support marriage equality if the environment were more hospitable.
A politician who sacrifices his morals and principles JUST TO GET ELECTED ?! Oh my ! Who knew ?! Who could've guessed ?!

Littleton, NH

#8 Jul 19, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
A politician who sacrifices his morals and principles JUST TO GET ELECTED ?! Oh my ! Who knew ?! Who could've guessed ?!
Politics is the art of the possible. Nobody ever claimed that good politicians are rigid and intransigent.
Ask A Mojado

Palm Desert, CA

#9 Jul 19, 2013
Narcos will declare the mayors victory as Dia De Los Hoto's.... they will shove a huge chorizo up his fundio....

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#10 Jul 19, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Politics is the art of the possible. Nobody ever claimed that good politicians are rigid and intransigent.
Was it Washington or Jefferson who said that right before they started shooting at agents of the legal government of the time ?

Littleton, NH

#11 Jul 19, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Was it Washington or Jefferson who said that right before they started shooting at agents of the legal government of the time ?
Interesting. So you are implying that the American Revolution would not have been necessary if our leaders hadn't been rigid and dogmatic?

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#12 Jul 19, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. So you are implying that the American Revolution would not have been necessary if our leaders hadn't been rigid and dogmatic?
One of the most serious things one can do in one's life, with possibly dire, and often fatal, consequences, is to deliberately kill agents of the government one one living under. If one is going to oppose the government, with a definite risk to one's life, one must stand on principals, rather than political expediency. And many Americans of that time who chose to stand on the principles, rather than acquiesce to political expediency, DID lose their lives.

There are some things that one should NEVER compromise, no matter what the cost.

Littleton, NH

#13 Jul 19, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the most serious things one can do in one's life, with possibly dire, and often fatal, consequences, is to deliberately kill agents of the government one one living under. If one is going to oppose the government, with a definite risk to one's life, one must stand on principals, rather than political expediency. And many Americans of that time who chose to stand on the principles, rather than acquiesce to political expediency, DID lose their lives.
There are some things that one should NEVER compromise, no matter what the cost.
And yet, the American leadership attempted diplomacy long before the war broke out. Only when diplomacy failed did the leaders turn to a war strategy.

In short, politics in the colonies became impossible. So another tool was used.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#14 Jul 19, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, the American leadership attempted diplomacy long before the war broke out. Only when diplomacy failed did the leaders turn to a war strategy.
In short, politics in the colonies became impossible. So another tool was used.
My point is he's just another typical politician, not standing up for his principles.

Littleton, NH

#15 Jul 20, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is he's just another typical politician, not standing up for his principles.
There are plenty of people standing on soap boxes being true to their principles. They just don't happen to get anything done.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 7 don'ts when talking about transgender people 1 min Uncle Tom 10
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 3 min Rev Wall 33,417
Is NE Jade a Male Lesbian? 13 min Norfolkian 1
News Jenner debuts post-Bruce look, breaks Twitter r... 13 min WeTheSheeple 12
News Jury hears openings in New Jersey 'gay conversi... 13 min Rainbow Kid 2
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 16 min FireBalls 3,931
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 16 min Rose_NoHo 2,735
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 17 min Poof1 5,819
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 42 min lides 21,958
News Rare Under 40 poll: This is what young people t... 44 min lides 47
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 45 min lides 59,882
More from around the web