Why Atheism Will Replace Religion

Aug 27, 2012 Full story: News24 14,385

Please note that for this article "Atheism" also includes agnostics, deists, pagans, wiccans... in other words non-religious.

You will notice this is a statement of fact. And to be fact it is supported by evidence (see references below). Now you can have "faith" that this is not true, but by the very definition of faith, that is just wishful thinking. Full Story

“Liberty & Justice For All”

Since: Aug 11

United States of America

#11066 May 22, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
If every man woman and child stopped talking about god, be it their belief or unbelief, where would that leave god?
Something which is real does not simply vanish when we stop talking about it.
"I tell you in truth: all men are Prophets or else God does not exist".~Jean-Paul Sartre.
Sartre was so close; he almost nailed it.

The truth is that all men and women have the POTENTIAL to be prophets.

Most people are just lazy. They lack the curiosity and will to make the effort to "climb the mountain", i.e. evolve to higher states of consciousness. As Jesus said, "Many are called, few are chosen."

“Blue Collar Philosopher”

Since: Nov 08

Texas, USA

#11067 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
"In the Pythagorean concept of the music of the spheres, the interval between the earth and the sphere of the fixed stars was considered to be a diapason--the most perfect harmonic interval. The allowing arrangement is most generally accepted for the musical intervals of the planets between the earth and the sphere of the fixed stars: From the sphere of the earth to the sphere of the moon; one tone; from the sphere of the moon to that of Mercury, one half-tone; from Mercury to Venus, one-half; from Venus to the sun, one and one-half tones; from the sun to Mars, one tone; from Mars to Jupiter, one-half tone; from Jupiter to Saturn, one-half tone; from Saturn to the fixed stars, one-half tone. The sum of these intervals equals the six whole tones of the octave...."
Atheists are deaf. They can't hear the music.....
I prefer Bode's Law ... Pythagoras should have stuck to geometry.

" http://www.grantchronicles.com/astro30.htm&qu... ;

Godbots are blind.

Texas, USA

#11068 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Sartre was so close; he almost nailed it.
Most people are just lazy. They lack the curiosity and will to make the effort to "climb the mountain", i.e. evolve to higher states of consciousness. As Jesus said, "Many are called, few are chosen."
"Higher states of consciousness"? What are you? Some kind of hippy? Picked a few too many mushrooms perhaps? Maybe you've communed with the minor god, Mescalito, a time or two too often. Besides 'living' and 'dead' how many states of consciousness do you think there are? Inducing some kind of trance state is merely isolating oneself further from reality than you, clearly, already are. How about increasing your AWARENESS? You are most fully aware when you correctly and accurately assess your environment, not by chasing fairy tales. LOL. Imagination and creativity are wonderful things but you can't let them interfere with your perception of reality. Psychosis is NOT a higher state of consciousness.

“Engaged to the love of my life”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#11069 May 22, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>If every man woman and child stopped talking about god, be it their belief or unbelief, where would that leave god?

Something which is real does not simply vanish when we stop talking about it.

"I tell you in truth: all men are Prophets or else God does not exist".~Jean-Paul Sartre.
I wholly agree with you on that one.

United States of America

#11070 May 22, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer Bode's Law ... Pythagoras should have stuck to geometry.
Godbots are blind.
LOL

“Bode's law was widely accepted until Neptune was discovered in 1846 and found not to satisfy Bode's law. Simultaneously, the large number of known asteroids in the belt resulted in Ceres no longer being considered a planet at that time. Bode's law was discussed as an example of fallacious reasoning by the astronomer and logician Charles Sanders Peirce in 1898.

The discovery of Pluto in 1930 confounded the issue still further. While nowhere near its position as predicted by Bode's law, it was roughly at the position the law had predicted for Neptune. However, the subsequent discovery of the Kuiper belt, and in particular of the object Eris, which is larger than Pluto yet does not fit Bode's law, have further discredited the formula.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titius-Bode_law

It figures that an atheist would prefer a hypothesis that was discredited decades ago. You atheist bubbas are sooooooo entertaining.....

United States of America

#11071 May 22, 2013
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>
"Higher states of consciousness"? What are you? Some kind of hippy? Picked a few too many mushrooms perhaps? Maybe you've communed with the minor god, Mescalito, a time or two too often. Besides 'living' and 'dead' how many states of consciousness do you think there are? Inducing some kind of trance state is merely isolating oneself further from reality than you, clearly, already are. How about increasing your AWARENESS? You are most fully aware when you correctly and accurately assess your environment, not by chasing fairy tales. LOL. Imagination and creativity are wonderful things but you can't let them interfere with your perception of reality. Psychosis is NOT a higher state of consciousness.
Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind is the title of a 1901 book by Richard Maurice Bucke. In it, Bucke developed a theory involving three stages in the development of consciousness: the simple consciousness of animals; the self-consciousness of the mass of humanity (encompassing reason, imagination, etc.); and cosmic consciousness — an emerging faculty and the next stage of human development.

Alexander Zelitchenko in his "Svet Zhizni" (Light of Life, History of Humankind in Psychosphere of Earth) continues this line, joined the directions of thought of Oswald Spengler, Lev Vygotsky, Lev Gumilev, Carl Jung tracing the transformations of human consciousness in course of history.

According to P. D. Ouspensky, as man evolves into higher states of consciousness, e. g. cosmic consciousness, he needs the tools of a higher form of logic, Ouspensky calls Tertium organum given to the title of his 1912 book. Bucke’s conclusion was that these individuals were "gifted" in the direction of cosmic consciousness and then developed this consciousness through self-discipline.

Some modern psychologists and theologians make specific reference to Bucke’s work. They include Carl Jung, Erich Fromm, Robert de Ropp, and Abraham Maslow. Others who have used the concept of cosmic consciousness, as introduced by Bucke in 1901, include Albert Einstein, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and Alan Watts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_conscious...

Tell me, bubba. How can you increase your awareness of "reality" through sensory perception when humans have such pathetically poor sensory perception compared to animals? And do you really believe Einstein discovered the theory of relativity via sensory perception?

Texas, USA

#11072 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Cosmic Consciousness: A Study in the Evolution of the Human Mind is the title of a 1901 book by Richard Maurice Bucke. In it, Bucke developed a theory involving three stages in the development of consciousness: the simple consciousness of animals; the self-consciousness of the mass of humanity (encompassing reason, imagination, etc.); and cosmic consciousness — an emerging faculty and the next stage of human development.
Alexander Zelitchenko in his "Svet Zhizni" (Light of Life, History of Humankind in Psychosphere of Earth) continues this line, joined the directions of thought of Oswald Spengler, Lev Vygotsky, Lev Gumilev, Carl Jung tracing the transformations of human consciousness in course of history.
According to P. D. Ouspensky, as man evolves into higher states of consciousness, e. g. cosmic consciousness, he needs the tools of a higher form of logic, Ouspensky calls Tertium organum given to the title of his 1912 book. Bucke’s conclusion was that these individuals were "gifted" in the direction of cosmic consciousness and then developed this consciousness through self-discipline.
Some modern psychologists and theologians make specific reference to Bucke’s work. They include Carl Jung, Erich Fromm, Robert de Ropp, and Abraham Maslow. Others who have used the concept of cosmic consciousness, as introduced by Bucke in 1901, include Albert Einstein, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and Alan Watts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_conscious...
Tell me, bubba. How can you increase your awareness of "reality" through sensory perception when humans have such pathetically poor sensory perception compared to animals? And do you really believe Einstein discovered the theory of relativity via sensory perception?
Oh yeah ... Cosmic Consciousness ... I think I remember reading about that on the back of one of my "Archie" comics when I was a kid. LOL. Seems like those 'cosmic' secrets could by YOURS for a couple quarters and a self-addressed-stamped-envelop e.

Texas, USA

#11073 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
“Bode's law was widely accepted until Neptune was discovered in 1846 and found not to satisfy Bode's law. Simultaneously, the large number of known asteroids in the belt resulted in Ceres no longer being considered a planet at that time. Bode's law was discussed as an example of fallacious reasoning by the astronomer and logician Charles Sanders Peirce in 1898.
The discovery of Pluto in 1930 confounded the issue still further. While nowhere near its position as predicted by Bode's law, it was roughly at the position the law had predicted for Neptune. However, the subsequent discovery of the Kuiper belt, and in particular of the object Eris, which is larger than Pluto yet does not fit Bode's law, have further discredited the formula.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titius-Bode_law
It figures that an atheist would prefer a hypothesis that was discredited decades ago. You atheist bubbas are sooooooo entertaining.....
Well ... let me break out my Xylophone and see if I can locate us an extra planet or two.

Since: Mar 11

Lexington, KY

#11074 May 22, 2013
Ya when he goes off on those mysticism rants all about worshipping the sun, moon, planets and stars my eyes roll back in my head.
RHill wrote:
<quoted text>I prefer Bode's Law ... Pythagoras should have stuck to geometry.

Godbots are blind.

Lexington, KY

#11075 May 22, 2013
He also said the end of the world would happen before children sitting at his feet grew old and died. Do you know any 2000 year old Palestinians walking around? No?

Then Jesus was observably wrong.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Sartre was so close; he almost nailed it.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#11076 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
“For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance, he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries”-- Nobel Laureate Robert Jastrow, God and the Astronomers, p. 107)
Nice quote. Though you're underestimating the scientific mind and misunderstanding 'reason'. Scientists are more than open to possibilities and with the recent (recent in terms of science time) investigations into quantum physics the links to philosophy and meta-physics are that much closer. Science is not trying to disprove it is attempting to understand the workings of life/universe. Things that have been known allegorically by mystics/theologians/philosophe rs for eons science wants to put a coherence to all that and so take it out of the veils of story-telling and into something with logic; and God isn't necessary to do that.

Location hidden

#11077 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are deaf. They can't hear the music.....
Not true.
It's an allegory of the big bang that God started things of with a shout. There's truth to be had in mythology (including some religion stories in that). Atheists are neither blind nor death to the wonder that is the universe, else you'd never have any atheist cosmologists, and you do have them.
I have an idea that science will find more and more in common with these types of idea; it's kinda like religion/mythology/philosophy is the idea and science makes hypothesis from them. Certainly possible (this obviously is merely personal conjecture) that civilisations previous reached a greater state of scientific knowledge than we realise and that's one reason for the uncanny similarities to be found between religious ideas and scientific. Brought down to us in such myths; but like Chinese Whispers.

United States of America

#11078 May 22, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice quote. Though you're underestimating the scientific mind and misunderstanding 'reason'. Scientists are more than open to possibilities and with the recent (recent in terms of science time) investigations into quantum physics the links to philosophy and meta-physics are that much closer. Science is not trying to disprove it is attempting to understand the workings of life/universe. Things that have been known allegorically by mystics/theologians/philosophe rs for eons science wants to put a coherence to all that and so take it out of the veils of story-telling and into something with logic; and God isn't necessary to do that.
As a former atheist who discovered God through science and not religion, my understanding is that all searches for truth eventually converge regardless of the searcher or whether the truth is described mathematically or allegorically or in some other esoteric language that has not yet evolved.

Location hidden

#11079 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
As a former atheist who discovered God through science and not religion, my understanding is that all searches for truth eventually converge regardless of the searcher or whether the truth is described mathematically or allegorically or in some other esoteric language that has not yet evolved.
Yes, I think that too.
Pity you decided to make it God though. That, to me, is a bit like those script writers who take the easy option towards the end by having it 'then I woke up ...and it was all a dream'

United States of America

#11080 May 22, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.
It's an allegory of the big bang that God started things of with a shout. There's truth to be had in mythology (including some religion stories in that). Atheists are neither blind nor death to the wonder that is the universe, else you'd never have any atheist cosmologists, and you do have them.
I have an idea that science will find more and more in common with these types of idea; it's kinda like religion/mythology/philosophy is the idea and science makes hypothesis from them. Certainly possible (this obviously is merely personal conjecture) that civilisations previous reached a greater state of scientific knowledge than we realise and that's one reason for the uncanny similarities to be found between religious ideas and scientific. Brought down to us in such myths; but like Chinese Whispers.
Where is it written that "God started things of with a shout"?

One of my favorite myths is an Australian aboriginal myth that was passed down from generation to generation around campfires for presumably some 50,000 years since that's when science says the aboriginals first emigrated to Australia. The "myth" simply states that the first aboriginals, two men and a women, walked to Australia. Scientists mocked and ridiculed this "myth" as impossible because it didn't plug into anything they thought they knew and what they thought they knew didn't include knowledge of plate tectonics and continental drift.... Whoops.

United States of America

#11081 May 22, 2013
Matt Road wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I think that too.
Pity you decided to make it God though. That, to me, is a bit like those script writers who take the easy option towards the end by having it 'then I woke up ...and it was all a dream'
God is the First Cause. That's an inevitable scientific conclusion based on logic and deductive reasoning. Science does not ascribe anthropomorphic characteristics to this First Cause and I don't either.

Lexington, KY

#11082 May 22, 2013
Sorry but you can't assign deeds and attributes to a god until you have proven there is a god.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>God is the First Cause. That's an inevitable scientific conclusion based on logic and deductive reasoning. Science does not ascribe anthropomorphic characteristics to this First Cause and I don't either.

Lexington, KY

#11083 May 22, 2013
Busted Siro!

Lol!

So by all means show a link backing any of this up.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>Where is it written that "God started things of with a shout"?

One of my favorite myths is an Australian aboriginal myth that was passed down from generation to generation around campfires for presumably some 50,000 years since that's when science says the aboriginals first emigrated to Australia. The "myth" simply states that the first aboriginals, two men and a women, walked to Australia. Scientists mocked and ridiculed this "myth" as impossible because it didn't plug into anything they thought they knew and what they thought they knew didn't include knowledge of plate tectonics and continental drift.... Whoops.
xianity is EVIL

Halifax, Canada

#11084 May 22, 2013
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>
God is the First Cause. That's an inevitable scientific conclusion based on logic and deductive reasoning. Science does not ascribe anthropomorphic characteristics to this First Cause and I don't either.
so which one did it?

www.godchecker.com

or are they all inventions of primitive ancient minds?
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#11085 May 22, 2013
Your mind is closed, blubber.
ezdzit wrote:
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sex -- and the lack of it -- on Staten Island: ... (Jan '14) 30 min Joanna 6
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 41 min in the end 50,065
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 42 min Wondering 132
State of Alaska defends gay-marriage ban 46 min Belle Sexton 169
Gay marriage cases await early Supreme Court de... 48 min dirtclod 643
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 1 hr Wondering 44
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 hr Just Think 56,248
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 5 hr cpeter1313 696
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 6 hr Frankie Rizzo 2,277
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 7 hr Pietro Armando 1,033

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE