Gay marriage news: Same-sex marriage ...

Gay marriage news: Same-sex marriage ban upheld in TN; heads to trial in MO

There are 63 comments on the Examiner.com story from Aug 12, 2014, titled Gay marriage news: Same-sex marriage ban upheld in TN; heads to trial in MO. In it, Examiner.com reports that:

Diego Ramirez joins with others in front of the Miami-Dade Courthouse to show their support of the LGBTQ couples inside the courthouse asking the state of Florida to recognize their marriage on July 2, 2014 in Miami, Florida.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Examiner.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Aug 13, 2014
So the anti-gays FINALLY found a bigoted state judge in Tennessee to rule in their favor.

That still makes it something like 30-1 in favor of equality.

Hopefully the 6th circuit follows suit and actually rules against marriage equality so this issue is pushed to the SCOTUS sooner rather than later.
lgbt is silly

Knoxville, TN

#2 Aug 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
So the anti-gays FINALLY found a bigoted state judge in Tennessee to rule in their favor.
SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BAN UPHELD IN TN

Excellent news! Thanks for posting.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#3 Aug 13, 2014
Well, when you enter that state the sign reads......Welcome to Tennessee.....The Backword State!
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#4 Aug 13, 2014
lgbt is silly wrote:
<quoted text>
SAME-SEX MARRIAGE BAN UPHELD IN TN
Excellent news! Thanks for posting.
Do you have a job, a hobby, or ANY kind of life outside of this forum?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#5 Aug 13, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
Well, when you enter that state the sign reads......Welcome to Tennessee.....The Backword State!
Got a photo? Maybe it's just another lie. Every one I've seen says "the volunteer state."
Maybe you thinks it's 'backword' to volunteer.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#6 Aug 13, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
That still makes it something like 30-1 in favor of equality.
Hopefully the 6th circuit follows suit and actually rules against marriage equality so this issue is pushed to the SCOTUS sooner rather than later.
Unless I missed it, I think it's really telling that the judge found that there IS a compelling state interest in banning marriage equality, but then he NEVER said what that compelling interest is. If *I* noticed it, I'm thinking that other courts won't miss that little error on his part, either.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Aug 13, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless I missed it, I think it's really telling that the judge found that there IS a compelling state interest in banning marriage equality, but then he NEVER said what that compelling interest is. If *I* noticed it, I'm thinking that other courts won't miss that little error on his part, either.
He said of Windsor:
“The Supreme Court does not go the final step and find that a state that defines marriage as a union of one man and one woman is unconstitutional. Further, the Supreme Court does not find that one state’s refusal to accept another state’s valid same-sex marriage to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution.”

http://www.scotusblog.com/2014/08/string-of-s...
Phyllis Schlafly s Shroud

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Aug 13, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
He said of Windsor:
Windsor explicitly rejected the notion that the state has a rational, governmental interest in barring marriage equality.

As the poster you attempted to reply to correctly noted, this TN judge apparently provided no compelling reason why such anti gay bans should be left in place.

That is a different matter from the as yet undecided one about whether there is a federal, constitutional right to same sex marriage.

And again: You're the idiot who thinks state AGs still must - or may - enforce unconstitutional anti sodomy laws on the books. In other words, you don't have the first clue how the law works, you are just an uneducated, sexually aggrieved bigot mouthing off.

“Common courtesy, isn't”

Location hidden

#9 Aug 13, 2014
Of course, first cousins can legally marry in Tennessee.

"She's my niece ... my daughter-in-law ... my niece ... my daughter-in-law ... my niece ... my daughter-in-law ... SHE'S MY NIECE AND MY DAUGHTER-IN-LAW !!!!" - Faye Dunaway to Jack Nicholson in Roman Polanski's "Elvistown".
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#10 Aug 13, 2014
So...if a husband and wife in Tennessee get a divorce, are they still brother and sister?
Rainbow Justice

Alpharetta, GA

#11 Aug 13, 2014
Citizenship rights trump states rights
The state exists to serve the citizen
Not the other way around

“Headed toward the cliff”

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Aug 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
He said of Windsor:
“The Supreme Court does not go the final step and find that a state that defines marriage as a union of one man and one woman is unconstitutional. Further, the Supreme Court does not find that one state’s refusal to accept another state’s valid same-sex marriage to be in violation of the U.S. Constitution.”
Yet...

“Freedom and Liberty”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#13 Aug 14, 2014
Imprtnrd wrote:
Mississippi is much more backward than is Tennessee. Mississippi will probably be the last state to remove the Christian laws that prevent marriage freedom and liberty.

“Freedom and Liberty”

Northern California

#14 Aug 14, 2014
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider that "the State" is full of Christians then it is easy to see they have a compelling interest to keep themselves on the pedestals they have placed themselves on and written laws to protect them staying on these pedestals.

Marriage freedom and liberty takes away the power and control they have over the population. And that brings into question their "authority" to tell other people they must live by the Bible. Which is why marriage freedom is such a good thing. It knocks bigots off their pedestals.

Why do people look to the government to tell them who they can and can't marry?

“Freedom and Liberty”

Northern California

#15 Aug 14, 2014
Rainbow Justice wrote:
Citizenship rights trump states rights
The state exists to serve the citizen
Not the other way around
Nice theory. In actual practice the state exists to serve the state and citizens are just pawns to be played with so that the state can expand and control more of our lives.

It's 20 minutes long. You can run it in the background.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#16 Aug 14, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
He said of Windsor:
Neither of those statements indicate what he believes the compelling state interest for marriage equality *IS*, though, does it? Just that the SCOTUS didn't mention it, either.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#17 Aug 14, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
If you consider that "the State" is full of Christians then it is easy to see they have a compelling interest to keep themselves on the pedestals they have placed themselves on and written laws to protect them staying on these pedestals....
But that's not a state interest. That's a collective personal interest of a majority of the people. That's not even close to a state interest.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>Why do people look to the government to tell them who they can and can't marry?
Because the government is responsible for giving out the marriage licenses that all the legal protections are attached to.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Aug 14, 2014
Phyllis Schlafly s Shroud wrote:
<quoted text>
Windsor explicitly rejected the notion that the state has a rational, governmental interest in barring marriage equality.
He said of Windsor:
Gremlin

Louisville, KY

#19 Aug 14, 2014
Sir Andrew wrote:
So...if a husband and wife in Tennessee get a divorce, are they still brother and sister?
Ask "LGBT is silly."
something to say

Russellville, KY

#20 Aug 14, 2014
Move to kentucky. We are moving forward not backwards. Equal rights for all

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 2 min NoMo 6,733
Do NE Jade need er/im stinky diaper change? 51 min OlBoy 5
News Feds release updated strategy against AIDS in A... 1 hr Florida Gator 31
News Craig James Sues Fox Sports Alleging Network Fi... 1 hr Florida Gator 19
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 8,250
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 1 hr Rights vs myths 1,877
News Oregon issues final order in gay wedding cake case 2 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 54
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 4 hr Daniela 1,277
More from around the web