Back to hostility: the roots of Russia's anti-gay attitudes

Aug 6, 2013 | Posted by: Rick in Kansas | Full story: rbth.ru

On Jan. 25, Anton Krasovsky, editor-in-chief of Kremlin-backed television channel Kontr-TV, came out during a live broadcast. “I’m gay, and I’m just the same person as you, my dear audience, as President Putin, as Prime Minister Medvedev and the deputies of our Duma,” Krasovsky said.

But you won’t find a video of Krasovsky’s announcement anywhere on the web. It was deleted from Kontr-TV’s website, along with Krasovsky’s own corporate e-mail account and any pages about him.

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Aug 7, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#2 Aug 6, 2013
Once again, religion is the root of animosity towards homosexuals. This time the Russian Orthodox church.

When is the world going to realize that religion is NO GOOD and ban it?

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#3 Aug 6, 2013
"Although attitudes toward gay and lesbian relationships were quite tolerant in the Russia’s early history, anti-gay measures were taken by Russia’s most authoritarian leaders – including Peter the Great, Nicholas I and Joseph Stalin – in their attempts to minimize social diversity. "

Good article and background. Wasn't Peter the Great himself supposed to have been bixesual? I also heard the Prince Yusopov killed Rasputin partly because they had had an affair (the former was evidently a size queen !) and had been spurned.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4 Aug 6, 2013
It isn't faith which is toxic, it's always the faithful that cause it. In the right hands, faith has done a hell of a lot good in this world. In the wrong hands, we get this perversion of morality. Just because they say it's God's fault that they feel this way, doesn't mean we should take their word for it.

this one

#5 Aug 6, 2013
The story is that Peter was openly bisexual and even went as far as appointing one of his male favorites as prince over one of the Baltic states he hijacked from Sweden. But this story is never any better sourced than my telling of it. I've never read any more detail than that.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#6 Aug 6, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
It isn't faith which is toxic, it's always the faithful that cause it. In the right hands, faith has done a hell of a lot good in this world. In the wrong hands, we get this perversion of morality. Just because they say it's God's fault that they feel this way, doesn't mean we should take their word for it.
Faith in what though? Faith in the future of humanity with compassion and integrity is one thing, but faith in a man made religion with fictional characters, stories that pit one against another and using fear to coerce listeners is another.
I believe atheists can be better people than 'so called' religious people and you don't need religion to do good in this world. Only religion preaches the opposite.

this one

#7 Aug 6, 2013
Brian wrote:
Faith in what though? Faith in the future of humanity with compassion and integrity is one thing, but faith in a man made religion with fictional characters, stories that pit one against another and using fear to coerce listeners is another.
The faith in the anything and everything that helps see us through the chaos that is our species. You can believe in a rock you call Fred if that's what it takes for you, but in order to survive among our fellows we have to have faith in something more than our own instincts. People can be dangerous to be around.
Brian wrote:
I believe atheists can be better people than 'so called' religious people and you don't need religion to do good in this world. Only religion preaches the opposite.
I don't believe in anyone's claim of collective self-superiority, moral or otherwise.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#8 Aug 6, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
I would differ somewhat. Believers and non-believers can both be good people, but the problem with religion is the 95% of it is created by the stupid for the stupid. And that 95% has little or no correlation with any particular religion - it happens across the board. All religions (though certainly NOT all denominations) seem to have a few wise people involved, usually in their more liberal and introspective branches. But unfortunately, like television, they try to appeal to a mass market. On the other hand, there are relatively few stupid atheists except in totalitarian states where atheism is officially promulgated but in actuality leader-worship is a form of religion.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#9 Aug 6, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The faith in the anything and everything that helps see us through the chaos that is our species. You can believe in a rock you call Fred if that's what it takes for you, but in order to survive among our fellows we have to have faith in something more than our own instincts. People can be dangerous to be around.
<quoted text>I don't believe in anyone's claim of collective self-superiority, moral or otherwise.
Yes, people can be dangerous to be around. I'd prefer to sit in my backyard and read while watching the wild rabbits eat the carrots that I lay down for them. I don't believe in anyone's claim of collective superiority either, but the evangelical Christians, Catholics and Muslims are the ones that do. They are the ones interested in pushing their own agendas down everyone's throats.

You don't see the Buddhists, Hindus and Jews and other lesser known religions doing that.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#10 Aug 6, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
I would differ somewhat. Believers and non-believers can both be good people, but the problem with religion is the 95% of it is created by the stupid for the stupid. And that 95% has little or no correlation with any particular religion - it happens across the board. All religions (though certainly NOT all denominations) seem to have a few wise people involved, usually in their more liberal and introspective branches. But unfortunately, like television, they try to appeal to a mass market. On the other hand, there are relatively few stupid atheists except in totalitarian states where atheism is officially promulgated but in actuality leader-worship is a form of religion.
It's true, believers and non believers can both be good people, but it seems these days that all the bad in the world is done in the name of religion, but only certain ones like Christianity and Islam.
If they could just learn to let everyone else be.

this one

#11 Aug 6, 2013
Atheists are some times given to being a heck of a lot more holier than thou than the worst deist. Everybody has an agenda and any group we are a part of has one or more as well. It all depends what is on the ones you say you are working from.
Doyle

France

#12 Aug 6, 2013
I prefer to call Russia's "anti-gay" attitude their "pro-decency" attitude.

Some see the glass empty whereas I see it half full.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#13 Aug 6, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
It's true, believers and non believers can both be good people, but it seems these days that all the bad in the world is done in the name of religion, but only certain ones like Christianity and Islam.
If they could just learn to let everyone else be.
Brian, read world news a bit more. It is certianly not just Christians and Muslims. Buddhists (supposedly from a religion that reject violence) are killing Muslims in the newly republican (lower case "r") Burma. Buddhists and Hindus have been at each others throats for years in Sri Lanka and Hindus and Muslims likewise is Kashmir. Muslims and Hindus have both staged terrorist attacks on Sikhs in Punjab and some Sikhs have responded with violence. Jews have forcibly appropriated land belonging to both Muslim and Christian Palestinians and have created what some controversially label an apartheid state. What they all do have in common is that when you call them out on any of this, they refuse to even admit to any grey areas and say they were right and the other guys' religion is wrong and deserves persecution. Probably the only ones that aren't really persecuting anyone are Jainists, Zoroastrians and Baha'i, but all of those are pretty small in number.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#14 Aug 6, 2013
Doyle wrote:
Yeah, go drink a glass. Half full with vodka, half full with prussic acid.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#15 Aug 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Atheists are some times given to being a heck of a lot more holier than thou than the worst deist. Everybody has an agenda and any group we are a part of has one or more as well. It all depends what is on the ones you say you are working from.
It's possible, but in my life I don't even know any atheists, never mind being pushed around by them or hearing of them trying to take rights away from people and degrading them like the Christian and Muslim religions do.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#16 Aug 7, 2013
Doyle wrote:
That's nice, but I don't think anyone really cares what you prefer.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#17 Aug 7, 2013
JohnInToronto wrote:
<quoted text>
Brian, read world news a bit more. It is certianly not just Christians and Muslims. Buddhists (supposedly from a religion that reject violence) are killing Muslims in the newly republican (lower case "r") Burma. Buddhists and Hindus have been at each others throats for years in Sri Lanka and Hindus and Muslims likewise is Kashmir. Muslims and Hindus have both staged terrorist attacks on Sikhs in Punjab and some Sikhs have responded with violence. Jews have forcibly appropriated land belonging to both Muslim and Christian Palestinians and have created what some controversially label an apartheid state. What they all do have in common is that when you call them out on any of this, they refuse to even admit to any grey areas and say they were right and the other guys' religion is wrong and deserves persecution. Probably the only ones that aren't really persecuting anyone are Jainists, Zoroastrians and Baha'i, but all of those are pretty small in number.
Okay, maybe I'm not up to date with all these worldly incidents, but just from what you've written, it's evident that most of the hostility in the world stems from religion.
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#18 Aug 7, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
Also, while it's true, everyone has an agenda, there are some with peaceful agendas and some with hostile agendas. That's what I'm getting at as the differenced between difference faiths.
Jay

Sherwood Park, Canada

#19 Aug 7, 2013
Wow, just watched the one man peaceful protest in St.Petersburg. Russian paratroopers are allowed to kick the shit out of people anytime they want eh?
Good teachings of tolerance for the next generation. Next step will be medical adjustments on gays... carve out the frontal lobe Putin! Im the farthest thing from gay but why would people waste time and energy to go out of there way to purposely beat a fellow citizen gay or not... What did he do to the paratroopers... oh ya nothing just stood there holding a sign. Good thing the riot police where there to protect them paratroopers, don't want that one gay guy opening up a can of gay whoop ass eh. Or are the paratroopers secretly gay and just confused. Regardless the government shouldn't be preaching hate.
Who's next the jews, muslims, ukrainians, europeans.... sure takes the headlines of the corruption eh.

Toronto, ON, Canada

#20 Aug 7, 2013
Brian wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, maybe I'm not up to date with all these worldly incidents, but just from what you've written, it's evident that most of the hostility in the world stems from religion.
Religion and nationalism.

this one

#22 Aug 7, 2013
Brian wrote:
Also, while it's true, everyone has an agenda, there are some with peaceful agendas and some with hostile agendas. That's what I'm getting at as the differenced between difference faiths.
Hostile agendas can come with or without religious belief as can peaceful ones. Those folk with hostile agendas can blame whoever they want for why they believe what they do, it's nothing more than their distraction from their hostile intent. Those folk with peaceful agendas do pretty much the same thing. While it's easier to sort through all agendas collectively, dismissing any collectively has its faults too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 min Destroy Satans Ch... 49,483
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 11 min cpeter1313 404
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 12 min lides 542
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 14 min BIRMINGHAM SAMANTHA 24,883
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 14 min Jooosh04 1,049
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 16 min lides 54,872
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 39 min lides 3,010
Biggest Gay Lies 1 hr lgbt is silly 1,679
California Takes a Stand Against Gay and Trans ... 5 hr Dubya 42
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••