Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays

“Pharmacists must seek to raise people's awareness so that all human beings are protected from conception to natural death, and so that medicines truly play a therapeutic role”

Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that pharmacists have a right to use conscientious objection to avoid dispensing emergency contraception or euthanasia drugs - and told them they should also inform patients of the ... via Fables of the reconstruction

Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247148 Jan 25, 2013
Man ... "I just loaded you up with my precious sperm that with any luck will make a baby."

Woman ... "Thanks, but I'm not ready to have a baby, so I will rid my body of your sperm."

Man ... "How dare you insult me in such a manner?"

Woman ... "How dare you insult me by believing that I MUST appreciate your sperm, just because it's yours?"

You see ... if you leave religion out of the picture ... it give the woman a VOICE!

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247149 Jan 25, 2013
Many men tried to dictate what women must do concerning pregnancies ... so women had to figure out ways to outsmart the men.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>

From the book,“ABORTION IN AMERICA,” the origins and evolution of national policy, by James C. Mohr, comes the following.

One of the most forceful early statements of what subsequently became the feminist position on abortion was made in the 1850s in a volume entitled The Unwelcome Child. The author, Henry C. Wright, asserted that women alone had the right to say when they would become pregnant and blamed the tremendous outburst of abortion in America on selfish sensual husbands. Wright’s volume was more interesting than other similar tracts, however, because he publishes a large number of letters from women detailing the circumstances under which they had sought abortions.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247150 Jan 25, 2013
Women were all too often taught that they were subservient to men (according to GOD of course)... so it followed that it was a man's right to have sex any time he sought it. This resulted in the following type of scenario.

Margaret was then a nurse in New York.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

From the book … Margaret Sanger … an autobiography, comes the following.

On Saturday nights I have seen groups of from fifty to one hundred with their shawls over their heads waiting outside the office of a five-dollar abortionist.

Each time I returned to this district, which was becoming a recurrent nightmare, I used to hear that Mrs. Cohen "had been carried to a hospital, but had never come back," or that Mrs. Kelly "had sent the children to a neighbor and had put her head into the gas oven..” Day after day such tales were poured into my ears—a baby born dead, great relief—the death of an older child, sorrow but again relief of a sort—the story told a thousand times of death from abortion and children going to institutions. I shuddered with horror as I listened to the details and studied the reasons back of them—destitution linked with excessive childbearing. The waste of life seemed utterly senseless.
Economist

Grand Island, NY

#247151 Jan 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
The pope is fully aware through Project Rachel that many Catholic women have abortions.
He knows that nothing so far has stopped Catholic women from having abortions. Yet his desire is to close all the clinics and make abortion illegal.
He's nothing BUT a male sanctimonious, self-ingratiating brute!!!
If abortion again becomes illegal, women will once again resort to barbaric methods such as Lysol, lye, knitting needles, coat hangers, etc., and that means nothing to him.
He needs baby-Catholics to become fodder for his earthly and imaginary heavenly kingdom.
From my perception, he's an ignorant, arrogant creature!
June

Here is a book that puts the Question in Sharp Focus.
Why Tolerate Religion?
By BRIAN LEITER
Reviewed by Adam Kirsch

Several years ago, the Canadian Supreme Court heard a case involving a Sikh boy who wanted to be able to carry a ceremonial dagger, or kirpan, to school. Ordinarily, blades and weapons are banned from school grounds; but the court, recognizing that the kirpan is an important emblem of Sikh religious identity, ruled in favor of the boy.

The case raises in stark form the question that law professor Brian Leiter asks in the title of his new book, Why Tolerate Religion?(Princeton).

Imagine, Leiter writes, that the boy in question was not a Sikh but the product of a rural family, for whom carrying a knife was seen as a badge of manhood; imagine the knife had been handed down from father to son for generations. If that boy asked to carry his knife to school, not a court in Canada would have ruled in his favor.

Religion alone, Leiter observes, has the power to suspend the usual rules, in the name of toleration.

Is this just?

There are, of course, a number of rejoinders that immediately come to mind. A government should respect its citizens' consciences, since everyone finds it intolerable to have his or her most cherished beliefs interfered with.

free society benefits from a diversity of religious beliefs and traditions. Pragmatically speaking, it would be impossible to force all citizens to share the same religious beliefs.

All of these answers Leiter accepts at the outset, and then sets aside. He is not interested in whether it is wise, beneficial, or practical to interfere with religion, nor does he doubt that liberty of conscience is a cherished right.

Rather, his narrow focus in this long essay is whether there is a principled reason why a society should Tolerate Religion, even when the dominant group in that society disapproves of the religion in question and has the power to suppress it.

In the course of answering the question, Leiter covers a lot of philosophical and legal ground. He examines the thought of John Rawls and John Locke as it pertains to the question of religious toleration;

he offers a neutral definition of religion that emphasizes the way it makes categorical demands and resists ordinary standards of evidence; and he asks whether an established religion, such as the Church of England, is necessarily a form of intolerance.

Leiter is especially concerned with the French policy of laïcité, which bans all religious expression in the public sphere, and which came under heavy criticism when France prohibited Muslim girls from wearing headscarves in school.

Leiter criticizes that policy, arguing that there is a crucial difference between allowing citizens to identify themselves as members of a particular faith and using the state to advance that faith.

Even though every state, including the U.S., promotes what Leiter calls a "Vision of the Good," he insists that it "cannot…try to shut down private citizens who support a different Vision of the Good."

Finally, he arrives at the conclusion that there is NO good reason to favor religious conscience over other forms of conscience;

either you allow both the Sikh and the country boy to carry knives,

or you should prohibit both of them.

A central question in our multicultural world.

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#247152 Jan 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
As you know from my posts I don't believe in the existence of any gods or goddesses, as I believe they were all created by human fantasy that amounts to fiction.
From my perspective there has to be a better explanation than religion, and almost any explanation "would" be better than religion.
I'm not saying you're wrong, June. I'm just "used to" believing in a deity of some sort. I fully realize I could be wrong. See - I WANT there to be a God. People (esp. on a religion forum) tend to believe what they want to.

By the way, your posts fascinate me! You are so much smarter than most here, although we do have some good, rational people :)

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247153 Jan 25, 2013
Economist wrote:
<quoted text>
June
Here is a book that puts the Question in Sharp Focus.
Why Tolerate Religion?
The majority of people are in religion, but they never have and will never get along.

At the present time Islam is the worst threat of all religions, and as the Muslims multiply at high rates, the future indeed seems bleak!

They are overtaking many countries of the world, and by force fully intend to make the people of the world over into the religion of Islam ... as from their indoctrination they perceive it is the will of Allah, and Allah's will MUST be done.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247154 Jan 25, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
I WANT there to be a God.
It is that very attitude that keeps religion going.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247155 Jan 25, 2013
Britain Heading Inexorably Towards A Civil War With Islam?

“The Black Mermaid”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#247156 Jan 25, 2013
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
It is that very attitude that keeps religion going.
Agreed. Guilty as charged.

But really, there COULD be some type of "god". I think the real truth is nobody knows. Religion has however done more harm than good.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247157 Jan 25, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way, your posts fascinate me! You are so much smarter than most here, although we do have some good, rational people :)
Thanks for your support.

I post many ideas from other authors, and for their ideas that often become my ideas, I take no credit.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247158 Jan 25, 2013
Sherlayne wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Guilty as charged.
But really, there COULD be some type of "god". I think the real truth is nobody knows. Religion has however done more harm than good.
I maintain that if there happens to be a god and the god is unconditional love, then no belief is necessary, as the god is not needy of anything.

And if the god is not of the character of unconditional love, then no amount of worship will win over a god that is cruel. And placing faith and trust in such a horror would be foolhardy indeed.

So from my perspective, no religion is necessary OR welcome in my space. I will simply do my best.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247159 Jan 25, 2013
Keep in mind, as you place the highest of value on your religions, the Muslims place the same value on theirs. And their numbers are growing at much faster rates than are yours.

That might be much of the reason the pope is so against birth control and abortion for his followers of Catholicism.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

From the book “AMERICA ALONE … THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT”… BY MARK STEYN … published in 2006 … comes the following.

The following was published in the Lansing State Journal (Michigan), July 5, 2006. It is the mindset O Nazra Quraishi, Kindergarten teacher………

“Islam is not only a religion, it is a complete way of life. Islam guides Muslims from birth to the grave. The Quran and prophet Muhammad’s words and practical application of Quran in life cannot be changed.

Islam is guide for humanity, for all times, until the day of judgment. It is forbidden in Islam to convert to any other religion. The penalty is death. There is no disagreement about it.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247160 Jan 25, 2013
From the book “AMERICA ALONE … THE END OF THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT”… BY MARK STEYN … published in 2006 … comes the following……….

Simply as a matter of fact, every year more and more of the world lives under Islamic law: Pakistan adopted Islamic law in 1977, Iran in 1979, Sudan in 1984. In the sixties, Nigeria lived under English Common law; now, half of it’s in the grip of Sharia, and the other half’s feeling the squeeze. Today there are more Muslim nations, more radicalized Muslims within those nations, and more and more Muslims represented in more and more influential transnational institutions. Will these Muslims live by the law of Singapore or Denmark or New Zealand or by the laws of Islam? Or is their primary identity a new worldwide Islamic identity.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247161 Jan 25, 2013
"I was devastated to find out that my wife was having an affair, but by turning to religion I was able to come to terms with the whole thing. I converted to Islam, and we're stoning her in the morning!"

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247162 Jan 25, 2013
In life, you do what’s thrust in your way I suppose.

Jack Webster … at 72 years of age.

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247163 Jan 25, 2013
F ... false
E ... events
A ... appearing
R ... real

Author unknown

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247164 Jan 25, 2013
People make sex dirty in their own minds, and then they dirty other people’s minds.

Hester

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247165 Jan 25, 2013
Perhaps in time the so-called Dark Ages will be thought of as including our own.

Georg C. Lichtenberg

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247166 Jan 25, 2013
“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

Georgia Harkness

Fraser Lake, Canada

#247167 Jan 25, 2013
“One of the world’s greatest problems is the impossibility of any person searching for the truth on any subject when they believe they already have it.”

Dave Wilbur

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Poof1 6,115
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 7 min Xstain Mullah Decree 3,086
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 8 min hal 26,944
Watch a Sneak Peek of TLC's New Special My Husb... 24 min Belle Sexton 25
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 25 min KiMerde 51,292
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 31 min Belle Sexton 87
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 36 min Belle Sexton 25
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 54 min NorCal Native 5,226
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 58 min Frankie Rizzo 68,596
More from around the web