Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays

“Pharmacists must seek to raise people's awareness so that all human beings are protected from conception to natural death, and so that medicines truly play a therapeutic role”

Pope Benedict XVI said Monday that pharmacists have a right to use conscientious objection to avoid dispensing emergency contraception or euthanasia drugs - and told them they should also inform patients of the ... via Fables of the reconstruction

Full Story

Since: Sep 09

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238509 Oct 14, 2012
Jumper wrote:
'Oh...my balona has a first name it's O S C A R.
My balona has a second name it's M A Y E R.
Oh I love to eat it every-day,and if you ask me I will-say...cause'JuneVanderMar k has a way of messing with your mind all day!
Have you thought of entering your "poetry" in a contest Jumper?

Losing can sometimes be a positive experience.

:)

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#238510 Oct 14, 2012
Svaha wrote:
<quoted text>
pretty well actually. I'll spare you my laundry list and I'll be so glad when the elections are over. I feel like I've been run over by a truck:-)
I feel the same way every election, but this year seems worse. I get tired of the phone calls, asking me to take a "small survey". I just hang up.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238511 Oct 14, 2012
In this Indian mythology, if demons disappear, the gods will also disappear. So demons are essential beings.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

From the book compiled by Larousse … World Mythology

A mythology as complex as the universe

Asuras

The dividing line between the gods and demons is not clearly marked; far from being mutually exclusive, they complement one another. The essential task of the gods is to struggle eternally against the demons and to triumph continually over them, but not to demolish them nor eliminate them. If the demons disappear, the gods have no further purpose and they also disappear, and it is the end of the worlds.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238512 Oct 14, 2012
http://www.topix.com/news/abortion/2012/10/qu...

Hmmm....might have been interesting to watch, even if I have no respect for either of them.

I did love Ryan's one response. He claims to not be able to separate his religion from his politics, but then went on to advocate for exceptions to rape, etc. for abortion laws AGAINST his religion's position. And, of course, Romney's position keeps shifting, depending on who he's talking to at the time. All to get elected.

None of them is worth anything.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238513 Oct 14, 2012
Humans spent a lot of time and energy inventing myths. Here is more mental investment in the myth of reincarnation.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>

The individual soul (jiva) is never allowed to die, but must constantly be born again in another shape, starting from the lowest planes (mineral and vegetable), then the lower animals, then the higher animals, and finally reaching human life, which is the highest form of all, because it is the only one that enables the soul to escape from the everlasting round of death and rebirth (samsara) and to recover awareness of its truth, Atman. Between successive incarnations the soul sojourns for varying lengths of time in hells or paradises where the fruits of past actions (karma) are meted out, and must be accepted passively whether they are good or bad; the soul may even inhabit the bodies of gods or demons, again temporarily, but such cases are exceptional.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238514 Oct 14, 2012
If people could perceive of their own myths as being as ridiculous as the myths of others, religion might disappear from lack of mental investment.

But as long as people invest in their own preferential myths as having sacred value ... religion will continue.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238515 Oct 14, 2012
Bitner wrote:
http://www.topix.net/news/abor tion/2012/10/question-on-catho licism-abortion-makes-for-dram atic-moments-in-vice-president ial-debate
Hmmm....might have been interesting to watch, even if I have no respect for either of them.
I did love Ryan's one response. He claims to not be able to separate his religion from his politics, but then went on to advocate for exceptions to rape, etc. for abortion laws AGAINST his religion's position. And, of course, Romney's position keeps shifting, depending on who he's talking to at the time. All to get elected.
That's the way I feel about human-created deities that also have to be elected by believers.

None of them are worth anything!

“OUCH”

Since: Mar 07

Russell Springs, KY

#238516 Oct 14, 2012
Bitner wrote:
http://www.topix.net/news/abor tion/2012/10/question-on-catho licism-abortion-makes-for-dram atic-moments-in-vice-president ial-debate
Agreed,are you voting Mickey,too?:)

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238517 Oct 14, 2012
http://www.atheistrev.com/2007/03/atheist -

extremism.html

"The atheist extremist would hold views
which would be considered extreme by most
members of the atheist community. Like
any other type of extremist, an atheist
extremist would be irrational. This
irrationality would be manifest through
cognitive errors such as (and not limited to)
the following:

Overgeneralization - Drawing grand
conclusions based on isolated examples
(e.g., "Because one Christian does
something bad, all Christians are bad.").

Dichotomous Thinking - Framing the world
in terms of absolutes without
acknowledging meaningful gradations (e.g.,
"Atheists are smart; believers are stupid.").

Disqualifying the Positive - Rejecting
positive experiences as somehow not
counting in order to preserve one's negative
view of some group (e.g., "Christians may
give a lot to charity but only to promote
their agenda of brainwashing.").

Through irrationality, the atheist extremist
would maintain his or her position by
selectively focusing on supportive evidence
while ignoring or explaining away
contradictory evidence. Attempts to
question his or her worldview would be
experienced as personal attacks and would
solidify extreme positions. Such an
individual would form an intense emotional
attachment to his or her viewpoint which
would override that justified by evidence
and reason.

I have not encountered many atheists like
this, but I have come across a few. I don't
believe they are common, but I do believe
they exist. Like extremists of other brands,
they have stopped thinking and exist simply to argue a viewpoint they may no longer be able to articulate.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238518 Oct 14, 2012
Ah, the link didn't post right.

Here it is....

http://www.atheistrev.com/2007/03/atheist-ext...

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238519 Oct 14, 2012
OLD LADY wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed,are you voting Mickey,too?:)
Minnie :)

I keep telling my husband that I'm going to write him in, but he says no thank you, lol!

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238520 Oct 14, 2012
Again we see mythology that depicts the "enlightened ones" walking among us on earth ... this time, on the "sacred" soil of India. There are the lower casts and those who have been "enlightene," and it doesn't take a genius to comprehend that the "untouchables" never did have anything to do with writing the dogmas.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>

The liberation

The ultimate and final escape from samasara is what the Hindus call liberation (mukti, moksha), independence (kaivalya), supreme happiness (nihshreyasa). According to the various sects and schools it is either conceived as the passage to the state of awareness of absolute unity, in which Atman is Brahman, or as total and intimate absorption in the divinity, Vishnu or Krishna, for example. Moreover, this liberation is not necessarily linked to physical death. A soul may well awaken to it, and yet continue for some time to animate the body that it inhabits. This is the case with the jivan-muktas (those who are liberated during life). And tradition has it that there are always some of them on the sacred soil of India.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238521 Oct 14, 2012
Bitner wrote:
http://www.atheistrev.com/2007 /03/atheist-
extremism.html
"The atheist extremist would hold views
which would be considered extreme by most
members of the atheist community. Like
any other type of extremist, an atheist
extremist would be irrational. This
irrationality would be manifest through
cognitive errors such as (and not limited to)
the following:
Overgeneralization - Drawing grand
conclusions based on isolated examples
(e.g., "Because one Christian does
something bad, all Christians are bad.").
Dichotomous Thinking - Framing the world
in terms of absolutes without
acknowledging meaningful gradations (e.g.,
"Atheists are smart; believers are stupid.").
Disqualifying the Positive - Rejecting
positive experiences as somehow not
counting in order to preserve one's negative
view of some group (e.g., "Christians may
give a lot to charity but only to promote
their agenda of brainwashing.").
Through irrationality, the atheist extremist
would maintain his or her position by
selectively focusing on supportive evidence
while ignoring or explaining away
contradictory evidence. Attempts to
question his or her worldview would be
experienced as personal attacks and would
solidify extreme positions. Such an
individual would form an intense emotional
attachment to his or her viewpoint which
would override that justified by evidence
and reason.
I have not encountered many atheists like
this, but I have come across a few. I don't
believe they are common, but I do believe
they exist. Like extremists of other brands,
they have stopped thinking and exist simply to argue a viewpoint they may no longer be able to articulate.
Do Atheists stop "thinking" Bitner?

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238522 Oct 14, 2012
People use their "gods" simply to enforce their own wills on others. And in the name of "freedom of religion" time and again, they get away with it.
>>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>

From the book “Chronology of Women’s History,” by Kirstin Olsen, comes the following………

Norway’s Equal Status Act prohibits sexual discrimination in all but religious communities.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238523 Oct 14, 2012
http://omgcenter.com/2011/09/the-religious-fa...

"Religious Fundamentalism is not just for Christians or Muslims anymore. Atheists got game here too."

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238524 Oct 14, 2012
June VanDerMark wrote:
<quoted text>
Do Atheists stop "thinking" Bitner?
The author, who is an Atheist by the way, said nothing about all Atheists. They're talking about Atheist extremists.

They described YOU to a T.

“Blessed Be”

Location hidden

#238525 Oct 14, 2012
http://omgcenter.com/2011/09/the-religious-fa...

"Interestingly, one can make the case that there is a strand of atheism that is positively evangelical. Take a look at this:

http://www.daylightatheism.org/2009/12/happy-...

Note the euphoric emphasis on material success (not a hallmark of progressive Christianity, which instead emphasizes the call to give up for the sake of the other), and more interestingly this line:

These people are the low-hanging fruit whom atheists can reach. We need to deliver a strong, effective message that belief in God is not necessary for the things human beings care about – that nonbelievers can justify morality with reason and conscience, and build a secular community without reference to faith. And given that our audience’s sympathies are already leaning in that direction, we should continue to make the case that religious belief is archaic superstition, contains many immoral rules, and has no solutions for the ethical problems humanity faces today. Let the theologians and mystics continue to carp and complain that atheists are being disrespectful, that we’re not acknowledging the magnificence of the emperor’s new clothes. We don’t require their consent, and they’re not our target audience anyway. The continuing growth of atheism throughout the world is all the encouragement we need to speak out.

“Low-hanging fruit whom atheists can reach?”“Build a secular community?”“The continuing growth of atheism throughout the world is all the encouragement we need to speak out?”

Jeepers.

All they’re missing is “Go out to all the world, and don’t baptize in atheism’s name!”

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238526 Oct 14, 2012
Modern Pagans believe in deities that don't punish.

If these deities don't punish, they also don't need recognition or worship.

So people must be in these religions simply for the power they take from the rituals themselves ... such as bringing down the goddess to feel LIKE a goddess.

There's a lot of ego in believing the self to be a powerful witch.

From my perspective, it's not about any deities at all. It's about self-indulgence in the idea of being in control and "owning" the power.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238527 Oct 14, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
The author, who is an Atheist by the way, said nothing about all Atheists. They're talking about Atheist extremists.
They described YOU to a T.
I don't mind being called an extremist Bitner.

If the shoe fits, I'll wear it. But your opinion is ONLY an opinion.

Port Coquitlam, Canada

#238528 Oct 14, 2012
Christian "Do you want to go to church with me on Sunday?"

Atheist ... "No thanks ... but thanks for asking."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Puerto Rico judge upholds gay marriage ban 4 min medioguarddia 96
Apple's Cook signals front line of new gay righ... 5 min NorCal Native 5
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 20 min ClarkKentsEvilTwin 25,560
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 23 min Skankie Jizzho 1,233
Georgia's top court reinstates ban on gay marri... (Jul '06) 23 min LouBricano 1,458
Bill Clinton: Gender and Racial Politics - Grea... 28 min Mykro 121
Judge Strikes Down NC Gay Marriage Ban 33 min Lisa Underground 91
Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I'm proud to be gay' 2 hr Wondering 42
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,352
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr Wondering 3,912

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE