Star Trek actor to receive gay advoca...

Star Trek actor to receive gay advocacy award

There are 15 comments on the The News Tribune story from Aug 22, 2013, titled Star Trek actor to receive gay advocacy award. In it, The News Tribune reports that:

Takei will receive the award at the 17th Annual Miami Recognition Dinner, which is scheduled for Nov. 9 at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The News Tribune.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Aug 22, 2013
With all the permutations of Star Trek on tv, and all the Star Trek movies, and all the gay and lesbian actors that they have had on the tv shows, and all the movies over the DECADES, it's a shame they never had the courage to have at least one openly gay or lesbian character on the shows or movies over these many decades.

(Or am I wrong ?)

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#2 Aug 22, 2013
Of course, there has long been criticism of Star Trek for not having an openly gay character. But there were lots of metaphors around the issue.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Aug 22, 2013
Well ... I could have imagined Wesley Crusher having a brief crush on Mr. Data ...

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#5 Aug 22, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Of course, there has long been criticism of Star Trek for not having an openly gay character. But there were lots of metaphors around the issue.
But one of the hallmarks of the show was it was groundbreaking by having an interracial cast, and the FIRST interracial kiss ever shown on tv, as well as tackling other controversial subjects.

The fact that after MORE THAN 46 YEARS, with many gay and lesbian actors on the show, that there STILL has never been an openly gay or lesbian character on any of the permutations of the show, or any of the movies is really inexcusable.
The AssTroll Stopper

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2013
Farber wrote:
What's he receiving an award for being a nasty ass [email protected]?
He's receiving the brown d!ck award.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Aug 22, 2013
I was a big fan of ST:DSN. One nite, I'm watching DSN, and as the show progresses, I am thinking "WOW ! This is the BEST Star Trek episode of ANY permutation, I have ever seen !"

The episode was "Duet" guest starring Harris Yulin as a Cardassian character named "Aamin Marritza".

I still think its the best ST episode I've ever seen. So one day a few years later, I'm eating lunch in a deli not far from work in Bay Shore on Long Island. And as usual while eating my lunch, I'm reading the newspaper and its a very slow news day, and so I do something I've NEVER done before (or since), which was to turn to the "Theatre Section" of the newspaper and read that.

That particular day, there is a review of a recent production of "The Man In The Glass Booth". I had heard of it over the years (it's also a movie), but only knew it by title, and had no idea what the play or movie was about.

So as I read the review in the newspaper of the new production of this play, imagine my SURPRISE, as the reviewer describes the plot of the play, and it's EXACTLY THE SAME AS ST:DSN "DSN" ! The writer of DSN lifted the play, adapted t as a DSN story, and gave NO attribution or credit of any kind to the author of the play !(I think the author's family should have sued the producers of DSN over this).

I still have not seen "The Man In The Glass Booth", but I do intend on doing so one day.

Also, I was VERY surprised to learn of the direct connection between the play, "The Man In The Glass Booth" and the movie (not the book though) "JAWS".

Do you know what the connection between the 2 is ?:)

(And as I related once before here, years ago, I had the pleasure of dining with actor William Windom, along with some friends, and it turned out that we were were all big fans of Star Trek, and we unexpectedly spent the entire nite discussing Star Trek. LOL I felt bad for Mr. Windom, as it seemed to me his entire acting career was reduced that nite to that one single episode. LOL)
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Aug 22, 2013
They did basically have a lesbian planet, where of course Riker has a controversial romance.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#9 Aug 22, 2013
I remember an androgynous planet, as well. But it seems that C Kirk brought out the feminine side of the residents, much to others' disapproval.

Though I've probably seen every episode half a dozen times, it's been two decades since I've seen anything Star Trek. So my memories are fuzzy, at best.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#10 Aug 22, 2013
He should also get an award for clever Facebook posts - he comes up with some good ones!

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#11 Aug 22, 2013
fr The AssTroll Stopper:

>He's receiving the ... <

Still waiting for your answer. What has a GLBTQI person done to YOU, personally, to make you so hateful? All you do on these threads is make anti-gay statements, and stomp your teeny little feetsies when someone proves you wrong.
The AssTroll Stopper

United States

#12 Aug 22, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr The AssTroll Stopper:

>He's receiving the ... <

Still waiting for your answer. What has a GLBTQI person done to YOU, personally, to make you so hateful? All you do on these threads is make anti-gay statements, and stomp your teeny little feetsies when someone proves you wrong.
Bull Dyke, nobody ever proves me wrong. Get over it.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#13 Aug 22, 2013
fr The AssTroll Stopper:

>Bull Dyke, nobody ever proves me wrong. Get over it. <

Yeah, right. You've been proven wrong on numerous occasions. Get over it, and grow UP. We are still waiting for you to answer just one simple question, what has a GLBTQI person ever done to YOU, personally?

Oh, and "bull dyke" is not my name, little boy. Hasn't mommy taught you respect for grownups YET? Pretty sad, if that's the case.

Location hidden

#14 Aug 22, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
I was a big fan of ST:DSN. One nite, I'm watching DSN, and as the show progresses, I am thinking "WOW ! This is the BEST Star Trek episode of ANY permutation, I have ever seen !"
The episode was "Duet" guest starring Harris Yulin as a Cardassian character named "Aamin Marritza".
I still think its the best ST episode I've ever seen. So one day a few years later, I'm eating lunch in a deli not far from work in Bay Shore on Long Island. And as usual while eating my lunch, I'm reading the newspaper and its a very slow news day, and so I do something I've NEVER done before (or since), which was to turn to the "Theatre Section" of the newspaper and read that.
That particular day, there is a review of a recent production of "The Man In The Glass Booth". I had heard of it over the years (it's also a movie), but only knew it by title, and had no idea what the play or movie was about.
So as I read the review in the newspaper of the new production of this play, imagine my SURPRISE, as the reviewer describes the plot of the play, and it's EXACTLY THE SAME AS ST:DSN "DSN" ! The writer of DSN lifted the play, adapted t as a DSN story, and gave NO attribution or credit of any kind to the author of the play !(I think the author's family should have sued the producers of DSN over this).
I still have not seen "The Man In The Glass Booth", but I do intend on doing so one day.
Also, I was VERY surprised to learn of the direct connection between the play, "The Man In The Glass Booth" and the movie (not the book though) "JAWS".
Do you know what the connection between the 2 is ?:)
(And as I related once before here, years ago, I had the pleasure of dining with actor William Windom, along with some friends, and it turned out that we were were all big fans of Star Trek, and we unexpectedly spent the entire nite discussing Star Trek. LOL I felt bad for Mr. Windom, as it seemed to me his entire acting career was reduced that nite to that one single episode. LOL)
The film version starring Maximillian Schell is considered definitive.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Aug 22, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
The film version starring Maximillian Schell is considered definitive.
I think that is the only filmed version. I've been looking for it on ebay for awhile.

If you want to see Maximillian Schell in a small role in an EXCELLENT MOVIE, see "Candles In The Dark" starring Chad Lowe.

And did you discover the connection between "The Man In The Glass Booth" and the movie (not the book) "JAWS" ?:)

Location hidden

#16 Aug 22, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is the only filmed version. I've been looking for it on ebay for awhile.
If you want to see Maximillian Schell in a small role in an EXCELLENT MOVIE, see "Candles In The Dark" starring Chad Lowe.
And did you discover the connection between "The Man In The Glass Booth" and the movie (not the book) "JAWS" ?:)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00009...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 4 min Get Real 144
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 9 min cpeter1313 10,179
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 16 min Rocket Man 56,133
News Cake fundraiser supports gay marriage as Suprem... 25 min Wondering 11
Meadow Grove News 1 hr Jade NE 1
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 2 hr Prisoner of my Mo... 2,425
News Gay icon Sushant Divgikar gets ready to debut i... 4 hr Rocket Man 3
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 5 hr Chilli J 35
More from around the web