CNN's Kyra Phillips Questions Whether...

CNN's Kyra Phillips Questions Whether Homosexuality Needs a "Cure"

There are 369 comments on the queersunited.blogspot.com story from Apr 6, 2010, titled CNN's Kyra Phillips Questions Whether Homosexuality Needs a "Cure". In it, queersunited.blogspot.com reports that:

In a CNN segment called 'Finding a "cure" for homosexuality?' by anchor Kyra Phillips the network has given the pseudo-scientific topic of "ex-gay" therapy and its proponents a national platform to advocate for their harmful and unsound work.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at queersunited.blogspot.com.

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Kevin M

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 6, 2010
I can't believe he's seriously citing NARTH as a source. Its been rebuked and discredited by the APA and several universities. This guys a loon and CNN has lost any respect I had left for them by giving this man a platform to advertise his harmful beliefs.
Equality for ALL

Vernalis, CA

#2 Apr 6, 2010
Richard Cohen is a freak. Too bad they didn't have Rachel Maddow on at the same time for a "balanced" discussion. Can you say AGENDA?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#3 Apr 6, 2010
Kevin M wrote:
I can't believe he's seriously citing NARTH as a source. Its been rebuked and discredited by the APA and several universities. This guys a loon and CNN has lost any respect I had left for them by giving this man a platform to advertise his harmful beliefs.
There is no question this guy is a loon. Probably all one can hope for is that normal people with credibility will speak out against the nonsense after it is aired. If so, then presenting their agenda will back fire for them.

I really wish they could find a cure for the biblicists. It is believing in and trusting the Bible as your God that is in need of a cure.

Location hidden

#4 Apr 6, 2010
DEBORAH FEYERICK, CNN CORRESPONDENT: If you've been watching "The Sopranos" on HBO, then you know the secret.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sometimes you tell lies so long you don't know when to stop.
FEYERICK: Vito, a mob guy, married with kids, on the run, knowing he'll be killed because he's gay.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There are these church groups. They could cure you of this.
FEYERICK: While it may sound like a plot line, the reaction from Vito's TV wife that there's a cure is very real. And it's a reaction many gay people and their families wonder about in the beginning. Is it possible to change, to not be gay.
There are groups who believe that it is possible. Some use religion. Others more unusual techniques. More on that in a moment. But whether it's faith based or secular, Dr. Jack Drescher of the American Psychiatric Association says the practice of so-called conversion therapy is dangerous.
DR. JACK DRESCHER, AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOC.: People who have done anything approximating a scientific report admit that the majority of people who try to change their sexual orientation do not change.
FEYERICK: And yet this man, who tells us he was once gay, claims to have helped hundreds of men like him.
Richard Cohen, now married with three kids, is a leader in the so-called reparative therapy movement. With just more than 1,000 members it is not a particularly big movement, but because it's so controversial and despised within the gay community it tends to get a lot of attention.
(on camera): What you're suggesting is that being gay is a switch you can turn on or off.
RICHARD COHEN, CONVERSION THERAPIST: People have a right to determine how they wish to live their life. If they choose to live a gay life, great, OK. But to say I have to live as a gay man because I had those desires, that's discrimination.
FEYERICK (voice-over): Cohen, who had several boyfriends, spent years in various kinds of therapy searching for answers. It wasn't until he remembered being sexually abused by a man when he was a child that what he calls his convergence process began,
COHEN: I knew it wasn't for me. I knew it in my gut I wasn't born this way.
FEYERICK: Cohen is an unlicensed therapist. He offers the theory that some kind of childhood trauma triggers homosexuality. All it takes is figuring out what it is, healing from it and moving on. One of his clients is a 42 year old program analyst who we'll call Rob. Because it is such a sensitive subject, he asked us to shield his identity.
He began seeing Cohen three years ago after years of struggling with unwanted homosexual feelings.
"ROB", CONVERSION THERAPY CLIENT: I had a mother that basically committed emotional incest with me because they had a very bad marriage. She used me as her husband, a stand-in.
FEYERICK: Cohen explains Rob's same-sex attraction is typical of the men he treats. Cold, distant dad, overbearing mom and overly sensitive kid. He showed us some of his unconventional techniques like touch therapy, in which he encouraging Rob to seek out same-sex mentors to basically re-create a healthy father-son bond.
COHEN: It's nonsexual. It establishes like parent-child relationship. So he didn't experience this growing up with his dad. FEYERICK (on camera): Rob, do you feel a sexual connection right now?
ROB: No, I don't. I feel very safe and very comforted and it just feels wonderful.

Location hidden

#5 Apr 6, 2010
FEYERICK (voice-over): Another technique, bioenergetics, designed to help clients release memories stored in the muscles, in this case by hitting a pillow with a tennis racket.
COHEN: I was angry at my mother. So I started saying, mom! mom! mom! mom! Why did you do that to me?
FEYERICK: So is being gay a matter of nature or nurture? Doctors say they don't know for sure. There is no gay gene and no definitive scientific proof that one's family or environment triggers same-sex attraction.
That's why mainstream mental health experts have such a huge problem with Cohen and those like him who promote reparative therapy as legitimate.
DRESCHER: It's like this person has landed on Earth from Mars and is doing things that the rest of us don't believe in and that we don't do. And it's just unfortunate that there are people who are willing to accept because of their desperate homosexual feelings, to accept these kinds of treatments.
FEYERICK: 48-year-old Xavier Yager sent spent five years in reparative therapy.
XAVIER YAGER, FORMER THERAPY CLIENT: It drove me to the edge of suicide, several times.
FEYERICK: He says it was so damaging, it took years to recover.
YAGER: From my farthest back recollection, I was always gay. I just tried -- you know, they always say it's a choice to be gay. I chose to try to be straight. And I found it was unattainable.
FEYERICK: Yager is now happily gay. Rob is also happy, but for the opposite reason.
ROB: I know what I'm experiencing. I know the freedom that I feel now. And as a result of the work, I don't have same-sex attractions anymore.
FEYERICK: He's even been chatting with women on the Internet, hoping to line up dates.
(on camera): Do you see yourself now as an ex-gay?
ROB: I see myself now as a much happier person.
FEYERICK (voice-over): A person who seems to have found his own inner peace. Deborah Feyerick, CNN, Bowie, Maryland.(END VIDEOTAPE)
ZAHN: Richard Cohen says he counsels some women, but the majority of his clients are men.

Location hidden

#6 Apr 6, 2010
DEBORAH FEYERICK, CNN CORRESPONDENT: If you've been watching "The Sopranos" on HBO, then you know the secret.
UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Sometimes you tell lies so long you don't know when to stop.
FEYERICK: Vito, a mob guy, married with kids, on the run, knowing he'll be killed because he's gay.
UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: There are these church groups. They could cure you of this.
FEYERICK: While it may sound like a plot line, the reaction from Vito's TV wife that there's a cure is very real. And it's a reaction many gay people and their families wonder about in the beginning. Is it possible to change, to not be gay.
There are groups who believe that it is possible. Some use religion. Others more unusual techniques. More on that in a moment. But whether it's faith based or secular, Dr. Jack Drescher of the American Psychiatric Association says the practice of so-called conversion therapy is dangerous.
DR. JACK DRESCHER, AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOC.: People who have done anything approximating a scientific report admit that the majority of people who try to change their sexual orientation do not change.
FEYERICK: And yet this man, who tells us he was once gay, claims to have helped hundreds of men like him.
Richard Cohen, now married with three kids, is a leader in the so-called reparative therapy movement. With just more than 1,000 members it is not a particularly big movement, but because it's so controversial and despised within the gay community it tends to get a lot of attention.
(on camera): What you're suggesting is that being gay is a switch you can turn on or off.
RICHARD COHEN, CONVERSION THERAPIST: People have a right to determine how they wish to live their life. If they choose to live a gay life, great, OK. But to say I have to live as a gay man because I had those desires, that's discrimination.
FEYERICK (voice-over): Cohen, who had several boyfriends, spent years in various kinds of therapy searching for answers. It wasn't until he remembered being sexually abused by a man when he was a child that what he calls his convergence process began,
COHEN: I knew it wasn't for me. I knew it in my gut I wasn't born this way.

Location hidden

#7 Apr 6, 2010
FEYERICK: Cohen is an unlicensed therapist. He offers the theory that some kind of childhood trauma triggers homosexuality. All it takes is figuring out what it is, healing from it and moving on. One of his clients is a 42 year old program analyst who we'll call Rob. Because it is such a sensitive subject, he asked us to shield his identity.
He began seeing Cohen three years ago after years of struggling with unwanted homosexual feelings.
"ROB", CONVERSION THERAPY CLIENT: I had a mother that basically committed emotional incest with me because they had a very bad marriage. She used me as her husband, a stand-in.
FEYERICK: Cohen explains Rob's same-sex attraction is typical of the men he treats. Cold, distant dad, overbearing mom and overly sensitive kid. He showed us some of his unconventional techniques like touch therapy, in which he encouraging Rob to seek out same-sex mentors to basically re-create a healthy father-son bond.
COHEN: It's nonsexual. It establishes like parent-child relationship. So he didn't experience this growing up with his dad. FEYERICK (on camera): Rob, do you feel a sexual connection right now?
ROB: No, I don't. I feel very safe and very comforted and it just feels wonderful.

Location hidden

#8 Apr 6, 2010
I am trying to post the transcript in correct order but Topix is acting up.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#9 Apr 6, 2010

Since: Nov 08

Roanoke, VA

#10 Apr 6, 2010
CNN = Critically Nonsense News, the new bother, or not so new, to Faux News.

“Live and let live”

Since: Apr 08

New Orleans

#11 Apr 6, 2010
CNN is in danger of compromising its credibility in allowing such a fruitcake to spout off lies on a television news station and to do so with his facts left completely un-checked. If they do a separate segment to call into question the sources Richard cited, maybe they're still worth something in the world of journalism. Otherwise, this is tv news at its worst; a platform for lies and propaganda instead of what news is supposed to be: the TRUTH.
planetspinz

Poughkeepsie, NY

#12 Apr 6, 2010
How many of these "cured" biexuals are really on the downlow with each other? Perfect place to meet, safer than a bathroom or a park.

Since: Jun 09

Saint Louis, MO

#13 Apr 6, 2010
[QUOTE= who"FEYERICK:]While it may sound like a plot line, the reaction from Vito's TV wife that there's a cure is very real. And it's a reaction many gay people and their families wonder about in the beginning. Is it possible to change, to not be gay.[/QUOTE]

to not be gay?

I can't believe he split an infinitive. It's obvious that this guy is an idiot.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

#14 Apr 6, 2010
When was this aired? The article doesn't say, and the date on the screen is illegible. Was this very recent?

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#15 Apr 6, 2010
Kevin M wrote:
And worse that he was allowed to spew his BS without the slightest hint that his "facts" were incorrect. The closest check was that Kyra tried to separate sexual predator from homosexuality.

I am really stunned that CNN would allow such a report to be aired.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#16 Apr 6, 2010
EdmondWA wrote:
When was this aired? The article doesn't say, and the date on the screen is illegible. Was this very recent?
The crawl at the bottom cited the number of IPads sold in it's first day. That was yesterday.
Short Left Index Finger

Toronto, Canada

#17 Apr 6, 2010
Repeat after me kids:Boy,did I ever have it rough when I was your age.
Local Iowan

Albany, GA

#18 Apr 6, 2010
It seems like this is a desperate move to grab some of their viewers back from FAUX news.
denise

Fenton, MI

#19 Apr 6, 2010
who wants to be cured? i'm happy with who i am. I don't want a cure, they want us to change because THEY are uncomfortable. if they found a pill tomorrow to make me straight i wouldn't take it. but if they made a pill to turn bigots and haters into folks who would live and let live, i would shove it down their throats. i see an angry and bitter civil upheaval coming in this country. it'll be the haters, hillbillies, those keen on jesus, republicans against everyone else. i hope we prevail.

Since: Jul 09

Estero, FL

#20 Apr 6, 2010
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no question this guy is a loon. Probably all one can hope for is that normal people with credibility will speak out against the nonsense after it is aired. If so, then presenting their agenda will back fire for them.
I really wish they could find a cure for the biblicists. It is believing in and trusting the Bible as your God that is in need of a cure.
Amen, Rev. The notion that the Bible is a book, about us, written by God, fails on so many levels it's pathetic. Over my 62 years I have come to the conclusion that the underlying problem is actually some manifestation of a psychological disorder. They are usually very paranoid people. They live their lives in fear and distrust, believing in a God who wants to hurt them. All their energies are spent on assuaging their chronic insecurities and His severe anger. Years ago I was taught that the approch to Christianity must be to begin with page one of Matthew then study the four books of the Gospel thoroughly, highlighting passages that jump out at you as you read - even copying them down. Once the Gospels are understood, and only then, it's safe to go to page one of Genesis. This 'word of God' ailment is the result of starting in Genesis and becoming a first millennium BC Jew before embracing Christ. It's almost impossible to shed the fear and self-loathing that results. They call themselves Christians but they really are, as you said, worshiping a book.

Kyra Phillips needs to be replaced with a journalist. CNN needs to issue an apology for the offensive crap they allowed on their air. They can accomplish this by doing an investigation into these bogus health organizations and exposing them on the air. I'm not holding my breath as CNN has become Fox-lite. They lost my respect (and viewer-ship) years ago. Hmmmm. They got rid of one raving maniac. Maybe they could do a little much needed house-cleaning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 19
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 min Strel 25,310
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 min cpeter1313 46,440
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 15 min June VanDerMark 13,295
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 26 min guest 1,340
News Columbus Bans 'Ex-Gay' Therapy To Minors 1 hr cpeter1313 5
News Census suggests counting LGBT, then a oecorrect... 1 hr Elizabeth1912 1
News No LGBTQ category included in Census proposal f... 1 hr Elizabeth1912 1
News 'Reading a book can't turn you gay,' say author... 1 hr Wondering 131
News Why does the Texas criminal code still ban "hom... 3 hr NE Jade 48
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 15 hr Frankie Rizzo 69,515
More from around the web