Discrimination protections overturned

Nov 6, 2012 Full story: www.saljournal.com 47

Salinans voted to overturn the city's protections from discrimination for gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered persons five months after they went into effect.

Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Nov 6, 2012
Here comes the lawsuit.

(goodygoodygoody)

Location hidden

#2 Nov 6, 2012
Rick, what are housing prices like in Salina?
Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#3 Nov 7, 2012
From the news article:
++++++++++
The Supreme Court will decide this before the next 10 years and then the people who voted against it will look like the George Wallaces of Salina."
++++++++++
Umm
They already do
Feed 'em to the lions

Location hidden

#4 Nov 7, 2012
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
From the news article:
++++++++++
The Supreme Court will decide this before the next 10 years and then the people who voted against it will look like the George Wallaces of Salina."
++++++++++
Umm
They already do
Feed 'em to the lions
You leave my kitties ALONE !!

Here Kitty Kitty

Alpharetta, GA

#5 Nov 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
You leave my kitties ALONE !!
Like kitties?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#6 Nov 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
Here comes the lawsuit.
(goodygoodygoody)
The people who put in all the work on the ordinance and its defense aren't really sure what they can do next. They were really hoping that the voters of Salina were going to be better than this. But, the 18% of we the people have spoken (25% of those eligible to vote, roughly 35% of all registered). It now takes a petition drive and a vote even to bring the issue back up any time in the next ten years. This was a gamble.

Location hidden

#7 Nov 7, 2012
Here Kitty Kitty wrote:
<quoted text>
Like kitties?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oiGKWoJi5qMXX
I met Christian when he was about 8 mos old. I cried when I heard that he had been killed.

Get your insulin ready. You're gonna need it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

That purr is bigger than he is!

this one

#8 Nov 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
Rick, what are housing prices like in Salina?
Salina is not a place where people are clamoring to be, so unless you're building/buying brand new, you can get amazing, amazing bang for the buck. The highest end of the market are a couple of over built mc mansions that were once priced at a million, one has been empty and unsold for the better part of a decade. The real top is about 350k for brand new on a decent lot and 250k for top of the line lived in, but you can still do pretty darn good for yourself on a heck of a lot less, the low end of the market is only about 40-50k. The rental market is becoming seriously overstocked as more people rent out properties that they haven't been able to sell. If you can afford 1500 you can get a place that will make you say wow, most can do well at a grand or less, you start getting iffy at 500 for a 2br and 350 for 1.

Location hidden

#9 Nov 7, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Salina is not a place where people are clamoring to be, so unless you're building/buying brand new, you can get amazing, amazing bang for the buck. The highest end of the market are a couple of over built mc mansions that were once priced at a million, one has been empty and unsold for the better part of a decade. The real top is about 350k for brand new on a decent lot and 250k for top of the line lived in, but you can still do pretty darn good for yourself on a heck of a lot less, the low end of the market is only about 40-50k. The rental market is becoming seriously overstocked as more people rent out properties that they haven't been able to sell. If you can afford 1500 you can get a place that will make you say wow, most can do well at a grand or less, you start getting iffy at 500 for a 2br and 350 for 1.
Hmmm. One wonders what Salina would say to about a thousand new property owners voting in their elections. Hmmm. Any decent business properties available to set up a gayborhood center? Could make it the mecca for a couple hundred miles around.

Location hidden

#10 Nov 7, 2012
What's the cost of a bar liquor license in Kan's ass?

this one

#11 Nov 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
Hmmm. One wonders what Salina would say to about a thousand new property owners voting in their elections. Hmmm. Any decent business properties available to set up a gayborhood center? Could make it the mecca for a couple hundred miles around.
Salina's job market can't really be described as dynamic or exciting, or particularly well paying and once you're here, you're kinda here, unless you want a lengthy commute. Salina is roughly an hour and a half from any city larger than it and that only gets you to Topeka or Wichita. As for retail space, it's a bit overpriced considering how much of it is on the market.

Location hidden

#12 Nov 7, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Salina's job market can't really be described as dynamic or exciting, or particularly well paying and once you're here, you're kinda here, unless you want a lengthy commute. Salina is roughly an hour and a half from any city larger than it and that only gets you to Topeka or Wichita. As for retail space, it's a bit overpriced considering how much of it is on the market.
We created our own jobs and industry when we took over and rebuilt the Castro.

this one

#13 Nov 7, 2012
snyper wrote:
What's the cost of a bar liquor license in Kan's ass?
$2000 plus or minus, depending on what you are opening up. Kansas liquor laws are the product of many different competing interests, including axe wielding prohibitionists, having their say over the years and as a result are probably the most complex and confusing as anywhere in the country outside of Utah. The last openly gay/openly gay friendly bar in town was a couple of years ago, the last semi-successful one has been gone about a decade.

Location hidden

#14 Nov 7, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>$2000 plus or minus, depending on what you are opening up. Kansas liquor laws are the product of many different competing interests, including axe wielding prohibitionists, having their say over the years and as a result are probably the most complex and confusing as anywhere in the country outside of Utah. The last openly gay/openly gay friendly bar in town was a couple of years ago, the last semi-successful one has been gone about a decade.
Interesting set of problems, but nothing that dropping a couple brinks trucks on wouldn't solve.

I'll have to think about it.
Carl

Harlingen, TX

#15 Nov 10, 2012
You know it's quite interesting: at the public forum where city commisioners were engaging the public on this issue, one commisioner asked a proponent of sexual orientation bills if she could provide any examples of the discrimination she says justifies the need for one in Salina. She gave some ambiguous answer about not being able to access that kind of data because of this or that.

Rick in Kansas and Snyper, the people of Salina have spoken, and they have stated that they do not wish to have affirmation of your lifestyle forced upon them. They are tired of your arm-twisting tactics to surreptitiously force your lifestyle upoon them by camoflauging it in such bills as this.

there are only two types of non-gay people who are willing to celebrate your lifestyle with bills such as this: people who are so morally bankrupt and depraved that they'll affirm anything, and people who are so flat-out stupid they'll believe the gay-affirming media word-for-word. And let me tell you something - the people of Salina are neither. Your war against American values will manifest elsewhere, and I'll be there to thwart you. For America will liberate itself from the stranglehold of forced-affirmation of homosexuality.

Location hidden

#16 Nov 10, 2012
Carl wrote:
You know it's quite interesting: at the public forum where city commisioners were engaging the public on this issue, one commisioner asked a proponent of sexual orientation bills if she could provide any examples of the discrimination she says justifies the need for one in Salina. She gave some ambiguous answer about not being able to access that kind of data because of this or that.
Rick in Kansas and Snyper, the people of Salina have spoken, and they have stated that they do not wish to have affirmation of your lifestyle forced upon them. They are tired of your arm-twisting tactics to surreptitiously force your lifestyle upoon them by camoflauging it in such bills as this.
there are only two types of non-gay people who are willing to celebrate your lifestyle with bills such as this: people who are so morally bankrupt and depraved that they'll affirm anything, and people who are so flat-out stupid they'll believe the gay-affirming media word-for-word. And let me tell you something - the people of Salina are neither. Your war against American values will manifest elsewhere, and I'll be there to thwart you. For America will liberate itself from the stranglehold of forced-affirmation of homosexuality.
What kind of "American Values" did this?

http://micro.pimpmywry.com/2010/04/list-of-me...

(Rick, those Brinks trucks are starting to look like fun)

this one

#17 Nov 11, 2012
Carl wrote:
Since it hadn't been illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity, quantifying the degree of the problem was in itself a problem. You clearly weren't at the public forums where this was discussed. While there were those who personally did not know anyone who had been discriminated against, there were others who did, including those who had experienced it first hand.
Carl wrote:
Yes dear, roughly 18% of the people have spoken. Salina has a population of nearly 48,000, less than 1 in 5 of them have told us that they want their god given and god blessed right to make the lives of others as miserable as legally possible. Nothing to celebrate in that. Something to mourn. While I had hoped that my fellow residents would be better than this, Salina's legacy of there being an acceptable level of legal intolerance towards others is a hard one to shake.

Location hidden

#18 Nov 11, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Since it hadn't been illegal to discriminate against people on the basis of their sexual orientation and/or gender identity, quantifying the degree of the problem was in itself a problem. You clearly weren't at the public forums where this was discussed. While there were those who personally did not know anyone who had been discriminated against, there were others who did, including those who had experienced it first hand. <quoted text>Yes dear, roughly 18% of the people have spoken. Salina has a population of nearly 48,000, less than 1 in 5 of them have told us that they want their god given and god blessed right to make the lives of others as miserable as legally possible. Nothing to celebrate in that. Something to mourn. While I had hoped that my fellow residents would be better than this, Salina's legacy of there being an acceptable level of legal intolerance towards others is a hard one to shake.
Rick, you have a good basement with safe room?

this one

#19 Nov 11, 2012
snyper wrote:
Rick, you have a good basement with safe room?
No basement, wanted to have one built, but since I live next to a slough, I can't get a permit for one.

Since: Apr 10

Parker, CO

#20 Nov 11, 2012
Carl wrote:
Civil rights CANNOT be voted on that's why they at civil rights, if so then women still would not have the right to vote, and blacks would not have gained civil rights until nearly 25 years after they did, moreover the constitution states this country CANNOT make religious laws. But now in salians is I can start a business and not hire someone because they are straght and/or not trans, non discrimnation laws are for everyone, EVERYONE has sexual orentitation and gender idenitity, not just LGBT people

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 3 min EdmondWA 26,644
Gay veterans get OK for Boston's St. Patrick's ... 13 min Dr Wu 24
Jindal defends January prayer rally at LSU campus 14 min Rainbow Kid 20
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 19 min Frankie Rizzo 4,954
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 21 min WeTheSheeple 1,182
How 2014 Was the Beginning of the End for the G... 58 min NorCal Native 16
Miss. attorneys seek to uphold ban on gay... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 28
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr The_Box 5,393
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 4 hr The_Box 2,812
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 8 hr Reverend Alan 4,276