Date Set For New Mexico Same-Sex Marr...

Date Set For New Mexico Same-Sex Marriage License Hearing

There are 7 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Sep 9, 2013, titled Date Set For New Mexico Same-Sex Marriage License Hearing. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

The New Mexico Supreme Court has set an October date to hear arguments for and against same-sex marriage in the state, a decision applauded by both sides

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Sep 9, 2013
I think the justices will decide in our favor and grant Marriage Equality.

A general rule of law is that if somethnig is not forbidden by law, then it is permitted. Since same-sex marriage is not forbidden in the law in New Mexico, then it must be permitted.

I think that is what the justices will find.

(And I lived in Albuquerque for a while and it's a BEAUTIFUL city.:) But too cold.:()
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#2 Sep 9, 2013
Let's push for them being state number 15 so we in Hawai'i, where it all began 15 years ago, can be state 14. Our special session begins in late October.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Sep 10, 2013
Sir Andrew wrote:
Let's push for them being state number 15 so we in Hawai'i, where it all began 15 years ago, can be state 14. Our special session begins in late October.
It all depends on how quickly the NM court rules. They have 5 days to rule in order to beat Hawaii.

I think you'll win that race.
Sir Andrew

Honolulu, HI

#4 Sep 10, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
It all depends on how quickly the NM court rules. They have 5 days to rule in order to beat Hawaii.
I think you'll win that race.
Actually, no. There will be several days of debate and confrontations with the public...I mean, comments from the public. The bill, if it passes, is set to go into effect 17 November. So the NM Court has three weeks to formulate its opinion if they are going to get there first. Tick...tick...tick...

Tawas City, Michigan

#5 Sep 11, 2013
Sir Andrew wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, no. There will be several days of debate and confrontations with the public...I mean, comments from the public. The bill, if it passes, is set to go into effect 17 November. So the NM Court has three weeks to formulate its opinion if they are going to get there first. Tick...tick...tick...
I would count the date the bill is signed by the Gov, regardless of when it takes effect.

Another twist is the Illinois legislature may be voting on marriage equality in their veto session which occurs in the end of Oct as well.

So it may indeed be a 3-way race.

Who'd have thought we'd ever be "arguing" over which state will be next?

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Sep 11, 2013
And don't forget the 9th circuit has a combined case pending from Nevada & Hawaii which may well result in marriage equality in the entire 9th circuit as early as 2014.

That would get us not only Hawaii & Nevada, but Oregon, Arizona, Alaska, Montana, & Idaho as well.

Throw in New Mexico, and that takes us to 21 states!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#7 Sep 11, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
And don't forget the 9th circuit has a combined case pending from Nevada & Hawaii which may well result in marriage equality in the entire 9th circuit as early as 2014.
That would get us not only Hawaii & Nevada, but Oregon, Arizona, Alaska, Montana, & Idaho as well.
Throw in New Mexico, and that takes us to 21 states!
WOO-HOO ! HOMOSEXUALIZING THE STATES ONE BY ONE !

THE PLAN is working !:)

(with apologies to felon Pete McGowan)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 2 hr oops 26,089
News Gay pastor fights censure by United Methodist C... 2 hr 93James 158
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr cpeter1313 48,044
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 7 hr June VanDerMark 13,378
News Court allows Chicago church to fire gay worker ... 7 hr Xstain Mullah Aroma 21
News Lesbian Methodist bishop faces challenge to her... 7 hr Elizabeth1912 1
News Anti-transgender bus sparks protests as it visi... 10 hr Defeat Elizabeth ... 6
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 14 hr Bernice 69,521
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 14 hr Rose_NoHo 5,587
More from around the web