Study: Gay Educators Less Likely to C...

Study: Gay Educators Less Likely to Confront Homophobia

There are 23 comments on the www.edgelasvegas.com story from Aug 1, 2013, titled Study: Gay Educators Less Likely to Confront Homophobia. In it, www.edgelasvegas.com reports that:

A new US study found gay educators are less likely to confront homophobia in their schools for fear of drawing attention to themselves and putting their careers at risk.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.edgelasvegas.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gay in Bethlehem

Ocean City, NJ

#1 Aug 1, 2013
no shit... and the sad irony is that while most schools now (at least in the northeast) have some sort of LGBT training that's optional for faculty to partake in (Safe Space, Safe Zone, etc.), it's ALWAYS from the perspective of:

The instructor is OBVIOUSLY straight.

..And this is kind of ridiculous. Not all situations they discuss are relevant to a gay instructor dealing with homophobia. We don't need to 'understand' that some words may be hurtful...we're hurt.

There are other situations that are pretty much left out too. Like, how should a gay instructor handle a student coming out to him or her?
Sillius Soddus

London, UK

#2 Aug 1, 2013
just try to keep poovery out of schools. Boy's schools are hotbeds of poovery anyway, so discussing it will make them think about wanking, etc , even more. Keep thje dirty little sods so busy they don't have time for it.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#3 Aug 1, 2013
This one was a bit of a flashback moment for me. I went to high school here in Salina in the late 70's. I had teachers, who I knew from everyone, but themselves, were just as gay as I was. Don't ask, don't tell, but everyone knows anyways. Unsurprisingly, they never got tenure and moved on.

The results of this study really aren't much of a surprise either. We ain't that far removed from them trying to ban "gay" folk in the classrooms and other great exercises in democracy.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#4 Aug 1, 2013
Sillius Soddus wrote:
just try to keep poovery out of schools. Boy's schools are hotbeds of poovery anyway, so discussing it will make them think about wanking, etc , even more. Keep thje dirty little sods so busy they don't have time for it.
Ladies and gentlemen and anyone in between, I offer you absolute proof that heterosexuality is in fact a mental disorder.

We should feel sorry for them, they just can't help it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#5 Aug 1, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>
Ladies and gentlemen and anyone in between, I offer you absolute proof that heterosexuality is in fact a mental disorder.
We should feel sorry for them, they just can't help it.
lol I am beginning to agree with this statement.
Lucas

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Aug 1, 2013
I catch a queer teacher trying to molest a kid I crack the queers head!

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 Aug 1, 2013
Lucas wrote:
I catch a queer teacher trying to molest a kid I crack the queers head!
As for me, it wouldn't matter what his sexual orientation is. Not keeping an eye out for openly straight men with serious mental health issues and wandering body parts is what let Jerry Sandusky get away with it for so long.
Muldoon

Tampa, FL

#8 Aug 1, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>As for me, it wouldn't matter what his sexual orientation is. Not keeping an eye out for openly straight men with serious mental health issues and wandering body parts is what let Jerry Sandusky get away with it for so long.
Yep Sandusky was a filthy queer that pretended to be straight to keep people from suspecting him.
desnuda

Knoxville, TN

#9 Aug 1, 2013
Muldoon wrote:
Yep Sandusky was a filthy queer that pretended to be straight to keep people from suspecting him.
Exactly right! Why do the gays just come out and admit this?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#10 Aug 1, 2013
Muldoon wrote:
(noting worth repeating)
Is it really humanly possible to be in as much denial of reality as you seem to be? He wasn't pretending to be heterosexual moron, he was a heterosexual pretending to be a safe one for your boys to be around. Of everything you've heard about this case, can you recall even one instance of him being with an adult male? I can't. All his accusers were kids. As far as we know, all of his adult sexual partners, female. The insane denial that heterosexual men wouldn't and don't sexually abuse boys is the primary reason that serial abusers that only target young boys average more victims than those who don't mind or only like little girls. You folk put way too much faith in your fellow heterosexual men when they are alone with young boys. He's straight and straight men don't do that is a road to hell paved with ignorant intentions.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#11 Aug 1, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
lol I am beginning to agree with this statement.
I used to think it was a learning disorder, but that is far less universal than the disordered "thinking" of just about all of them. That post kind of screamed heterosexuality is a trip on the crazy train for me.
Giggs

Basingstoke, UK

#13 Aug 2, 2013
If I say something is "gay" I do not mean it is homosexual.....

just to clarify.
Giggs

Basingstoke, UK

#14 Aug 2, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Is it really humanly possible to be in as much denial of reality as you seem to be? He wasn't pretending to be heterosexual moron, he was a heterosexual pretending to be a safe one for your boys to be around. Of everything you've heard about this case, can you recall even one instance of him being with an adult male? I can't. All his accusers were kids. As far as we know, all of his adult sexual partners, female. The insane denial that heterosexual men wouldn't and don't sexually abuse boys is the primary reason that serial abusers that only target young boys average more victims than those who don't mind or only like little girls. You folk put way too much faith in your fellow heterosexual men when they are alone with young boys. He's straight and straight men don't do that is a road to hell paved with ignorant intentions.
there are more than the 3 recognised kinds of sexuality.
Giggs

Basingstoke, UK

#15 Aug 2, 2013
....but if the guy is sexually abusing boys...does that not make him bisexual?
Sillius Soddus

UK

#16 Aug 2, 2013
Giggs wrote:
....but if the guy is sexually abusing boys...does that not make him bisexual?
no, according to pooves, they don't believe that gays ever molest boys. this is silly and twisted thinking by people who actually think being bent is normal.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#17 Aug 2, 2013
Giggs wrote:
there are more than the 3 recognised kinds of sexuality.
There are a grand total of four, heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality. That's it.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#18 Aug 2, 2013
Giggs wrote:
....but if the guy is sexually abusing boys...does that not make him bisexual?
No, one does not need to be even remotely same sex attracted to engage in same sex acts. Behavior and orientation aren't synonyms.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#19 Aug 2, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>There are a grand total of four, heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality and asexuality. That's it.
Well, technically there are more, however the others are disorders.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#20 Aug 3, 2013
Sillius Soddus wrote:
<quoted text>no, according to pooves, they don't believe that gays ever molest boys. this is silly and twisted thinking by people who actually think being bent is normal.
No, Silly one. Molesters come from all walks of life, are every gender and orientation, and need to be removed from society when rooted out.

That you deny the majority of them are heterosexual and related to the child they harm is a dangerous thing for any children you might have.

Don't look for the "gay boogeyman". Look to your family reunion.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#21 Aug 3, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Well, technically there are more, however the others are disorders.
Science only recognizes the four orientations, the "more" aren't orientations, but additions to the four basic platforms. The additions we can make to our basic orientation packages are, for the most part anyways, not disorders in and of themselves. It is when the thoughts and behaviors associated with such additions become paraphilic that you have a problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 min Frindly 14,928
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 23 min Lawrence Wolf 342
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 28 min Rose_NoHo 127
News Gay couple, devout baker take cake fight to hig... 46 min EdmondWA 91
News All bets are off at the Supreme Court 1 hr How the West Was ... 37
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Wondering 58,462
News Regional queer youth call for more understandin... 2 hr Tre H 12
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 7 hr How the West Was ... 26,929
More from around the web