Ireland Poised To Vote On Same-Sex Ma...

Ireland Poised To Vote On Same-Sex Marriage In 2014

There are 19 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Jun 24, 2013, titled Ireland Poised To Vote On Same-Sex Marriage In 2014. In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Ireland is likely to vote on a constitutional referendum to grant same-sex couples marriage rights in the largely Catholic nation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#1 Jun 24, 2013
Maybe we'll have the Prop 8 & DOMA decisions by then......

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Jun 24, 2013
We're working on it.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#3 Jun 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Maybe we'll have the Prop 8 & DOMA decisions by then......
SCOTUS convenes again at 10:00 AM tomorrow (25-Jun). There will apparently be at least one more session beyond that. They have only six cases left to announce.

I'm sure this will be wrapped up by Thursday--or next Monday at the latest.

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Jun 24, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS convenes again at 10:00 AM tomorrow (25-Jun). There will apparently be at least one more session beyond that. They have only six cases left to announce.
I'm sure this will be wrapped up by Thursday--or next Monday at the latest.
Or maybe the next Monday, or Monday in October or Monday in 2040....

Time for some limits on the SCOTUS.

“Building Better Worlds”

Since: May 13

Europa

#5 Jun 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Or maybe the next Monday, or Monday in October or Monday in 2040....
Time for some limits on the SCOTUS.
It's a separate branch of government. They can set their own operating rules. What's your rush ? You want to get married this week ?

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Jun 24, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a separate branch of government. They can set their own operating rules. What's your rush ? You want to get married this week ?
Congress can change how the SCOTUS operates, change they pay & benefits, etc. We can always go the constitutional amendment route as well.

Btw, I'm already married and can get by without the state & federal benefits, but there are many others who can't.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#7 Jun 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Congress can change how the SCOTUS operates, change they pay & benefits, etc. We can always go the constitutional amendment route as well.
Btw, I'm already married and can get by without the state & federal benefits, but there are many others who can't.
Any law that congress passes regarding SCOTUS COULD be ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS, thus necessitating a constitutional amendment to accomplish whatever congress wanted. And IF congress "changes their pay" they can ONLY change it UP, NOT down.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#10 Jun 24, 2013
Raymond wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's hope it's 2040. I like that date!
I thought it would be today, but probably no later than Friday.

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Jun 24, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
Any law that congress passes regarding SCOTUS COULD be ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS, thus necessitating a constitutional amendment to accomplish whatever congress wanted. And IF congress "changes their pay" they can ONLY change it UP, NOT down.
Where does it say Congress can only increase the pay for judges/justices, and not lower it?

Either way, if it takes a constitutional amendment, it would be well worth the effort. While we're at it we need to cut Congress in half and cut their pay and benefits as well.

Littleton, NH

#12 Jun 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say Congress can only increase the pay for judges/justices, and not lower it?
Either way, if it takes a constitutional amendment, it would be well worth the effort. While we're at it we need to cut Congress in half and cut their pay and benefits as well.
You cannot lower the pay of judges. This is true. It's meant to prohibit Congress seeking vengeance for rulings that they don't like through its purse strings.

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Jun 24, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot lower the pay of judges. This is true. It's meant to prohibit Congress seeking vengeance for rulings that they don't like through its purse strings.
Source?

If true, then we need to amend the constitution and set the pay of ALL judges & justices to the current federal minimum wage.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#14 Jun 24, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
It says it in the U.S. Constitution. Try reading Article III. That was written in there SPECIFICALLY TO PREVENT the politicization of the judiciary by taking away the right of congress to lower a judge's pay, if they don't decide a case the way a congressperson may want.

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Jun 24, 2013
Europa Report wrote:
<quoted text>
It says it in the U.S. Constitution. Try reading Article III. That was written in there SPECIFICALLY TO PREVENT the politicization of the judiciary by taking away the right of congress to lower a judge's pay, if they don't decide a case the way a congressperson may want.
Only for currently serving justices- "during their continuance in office". It says nothing about the pay for newly appointed justices who could be started at a lower pay.

Either way, a constitutional amendment could change that too.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#16 Jun 25, 2013
I'm predicting the Court will extend it's Decision Days to next Monday, and have a clerk hand out the slip and final draft then, after PRIDE anniversary,... AND the Conservative Justices are vacationing overseas.

(I'm a pessimist by policy)

Littleton, NH

#17 Jun 25, 2013
snyper wrote:
I'm predicting the Court will extend it's Decision Days to next Monday, and have a clerk hand out the slip and final draft then, after PRIDE anniversary,... AND the Conservative Justices are vacationing overseas.
(I'm a pessimist by policy)
The decision will come Wednesday at 10:00 AM. Some have speculated that the last three majority opinions will be written by Roberts, Kennedy, and Scalia. They've further speculated that they will write Perry, Windsor, and Sekhar, respectively.

Tawas City, Michigan

#18 Jun 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
The decision will come Wednesday at 10:00 AM. Some have speculated that the last three majority opinions will be written by Roberts, Kennedy, and Scalia. They've further speculated that they will write Perry, Windsor, and Sekhar, respectively.
Yeah, and these same experts speculated they court would never accept the Prop 8 case either.

I'll wait for the decisions which MAY come out tomorrow.

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#19 Jun 25, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and these same experts speculated they court would never accept the Prop 8 case either.
I'll wait for the decisions which MAY come out tomorrow.
I agree. Anyone who claims to know what the SCOTUS justices, are thinking, or writing, or the timing, or what the majority opinion will be, is lying.

Littleton, NH

#20 Jun 25, 2013
Except for Justice Ginsburg. I think we all know what she's thinking. . .

“Building Better Worlds”

Europa

#21 Jun 25, 2013
nhjeff wrote:
Except for Justice Ginsburg. I think we all know what she's thinking...
That Toni Scalia is a cutie ?!:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ten Commandments judge faces runoff in Alabama ... 4 min Imprtnrd 335
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 min June VanDerMark 58,417
What causes homophobia? 10 min NE Jade 9
News Top Indonesia court rejects attempt to criminal... 19 min Wade 1
News Race against time for Australia's first same-se... 20 min Dave 1
News Democrat Doug Jones ekes out narrow victory ove... 2 hr Imprtnrd 1
News Gay couple, devout baker take cake fight to hig... 3 hr Wondering 68
News Former OKC Mayor blames homosexuality for moral... 12 hr funhouse mirror 108
The Spectrum Cafe (Dec '07) 17 hr GodSmacked 26,914
More from around the web