Marriage Equality Victories Mount; Supremes Seem Destined to Revisit Issue

Feb 22, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: EDGE

Last June, when the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act defining marriage as between a man and a woman was unconstitutional, Justice Antonin Scalia made a prediction: In the not so distant future, the question of whether same-sex couples have a constitutional right to marry would once again be before the high ... (more)

Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Feb 26, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“ WOOF !”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

My guess is that SCOTUS will decide the issue in the 2016 term.
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

The unspeakables will soon have to start searching for another scapegoat .. no doubt they'll be sure to find it .. for this is a game they've been playing for milleniums now , always with the same frustrating results for them .. but hate is no fun if kept to yourself .
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

" millenniums ", sorry
Sammy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
" millenniums ", sorry
Why do you always have to make a new post and apologize for a simple spelling mistake or typographical error. Are you that insecure that you're afraid people might think you're stupid? Even the brightest people make mistakes. I made one once.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

I tend to agree. The SCOTUS can delay the cases for this coming term, but will likely have to resolve the issue in the '15/'16 term, with a decision by Jun '16.

It all depends on how quickly the appeals courts rule, how broadly their rulings are, and whether they issue conflicting rulings.

It would take everything coming together perfectly to get a case on the '14/'15 SCOTUS calendar. More likely it'll be the '15/'16 term.

There are too many variables at this point to even attempt to predict which case(s) will make it to the SCOTUS.
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you always have to make a new post and apologize for a simple spelling mistake or typographical error. Are you that insecure that you're afraid people might think you're stupid? Even the brightest people make mistakes. I made one once.
I owe it to others not to be sloppy and walk away feeling very smug and satisfied with myself , It's obvious you feel differently about the matter .. " I made one once " , you say .. which can only mean you must have made quite a few but are too vain to admit it . and ultimately , why should such a little thing disturb you so ? Antipathy runs all through your words .. I can't help that .. Just ask yourself what the real reason is for your silly complaint . that is , if you can look at yourself dispassionately , which I doubt .. I don't buy this discomfort of yours over a correction and , I'm sure , neither does anybody else .
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
My guess is that SCOTUS will decide the issue in the 2016 term.
Your claim was absurdly that Scaliar was going to be a vote for marriage equality in the Prop 8 case, and that Thomas might well be the same.

No one should listen to you, racist pedo. You don't know anything...except how to ask apparently underage, male posters on topix to contact you.
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Sammy wrote:
<quoted text>
I also like to correct my errors if, for example, I call some fundie bigot a, "cretinous piece of trash," when I meant to say, "moronic, fundie garbage with sexual problems."

I think accuracy is important and corrections, even self corrections, perform a valuable service.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Fundies R Mentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
I also like to correct my errors if, for example, I call some fundie bigot a, "cretinous piece of trash," when I meant to say, "moronic, fundie garbage with sexual problems."
I think accuracy is important and corrections, even self corrections, perform a valuable service.
lol

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Sammy1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother made the biggest mistake of not digging deeper with that coat hanger!
Sammys Mother

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

NE Jade wrote:
<quoted text>Your mother made the biggest mistake of not digging deeper with that coat hanger!
Oh Lord don't I know it! Biggest mistake of my life. I truly owe the world an apology, but the world would be nuts to forgive me.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
" millenniums ", sorry
I thought it was millennia....

;)

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
It is.

For a Latin, he sure doesn't know his Latin.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Scalia is Begging the Question by saying "same-sex couples".

Don't buy the Equivocation.

The proper question is:

"Does an individual Citizen have the Constitutional Right to marry the unrelated adult person of their choice ?"
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
;)
Both millenniums and millennia are perfectly correct though most people use millennia ; millennial is really an adjective describing the millennium .. neither Oxford nor Webster defines it as a plural of millennium . Apparently it all depends on particular preference , at least in English . This latin may err sometimes , but he hasn't yet developed an exaggerated idea about his importance in this world ; indeed , none of us has any whatsoever ; being, each and every one of us , no matter how exalted , totally dispensable and replaceable . Let us relax and gaze at the moon instead .
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

" this Latin " , sorry ..( don't get upset Sammy .. more ot that coming your way ..).
Campy

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
<quoted text>I owe it to others not to be sloppy and walk away feeling very smug and satisfied with myself , It's obvious you feel differently about the matter .. " I made one once " , you say .. which can only mean you must have made quite a few but are too vain to admit it . and ultimately , why should such a little thing disturb you so ? Antipathy runs all through your words .. I can't help that .. Just ask yourself what the real reason is for your silly complaint . that is , if you can look at yourself dispassionately , which I doubt .. I don't buy this discomfort of yours over a correction and , I'm sure , neither does anybody else .
It's OK David... we straights understand that gays tend to be anal about stuff.

“ WOOF !”

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

snyper wrote:
Scalia is Begging the Question by saying "same-sex couples".
Don't buy the Equivocation.
The proper question is:
"Does an individual Citizen have the Constitutional Right to marry the unrelated adult person of their choice ?"
What about: "Does an individual Citizen have the Constitutional Right to marry a related adult person of their choice ?" ?(sic)
david traversa

Argentina

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2014

Judged:

Campy wrote:
<quoted text>
It's OK David... we straights understand that gays tend to be anal about stuff.
Yes , Campy , I see what you mean .. a richer vocabulary .. but less pretensions .. glad you noticed . tout l'heure .
hi hi

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2014

Judged:

david traversa wrote:
" this Latin " , sorry ..( don't get upset Sammy .. more ot that coming your way ..).
Always ignore 100.00% what others have to say about your posting style. It has nothing to do with anything and you're your own person. That's the stuff I *first and most quickly* ignore when I am in exchanges with others.

I can see someone tell me my posts contain a ton of the word "X" (whatever the word may be, for one example) and I will continue to use that word -- not more to gall them; not less in a moment's consideration that I should take their viciousness to heart -- but *EXACTLY* the number of times I would otherwise have done so, continuing to express myself exactly as I see fit. In a perfect world, I would assume everyone would do this.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Gay/Lesbian Forum right now

Search the Gay/Lesbian Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Asked To Lift Fla. Keys Gay Marriage Stay 3 min The Troll Stopper 15
Anti-Gay Pastor: Don't Hate Me But Gays Are Pos... 8 min It Looks Like Pizza 21
Four Youth Arrested, Forced to Explain Gay Sex ... 8 min The Troll Stopper 35
NPR Boosts Plight of Catholic School Teacher Fi... 23 min Dan 175
Transgender priest preaches at Washington's Nat... 35 min Wondering 13
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 36 min Terry rigsby 48,878
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 45 min Bruno 52,177
Losing Streak Lengthens for Foes of Gay Marriage 50 min Frankie Rizzo 2,479
CO Baker Found Guilty for Denying Gay Couple We... (Dec '13) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 15,964
DOJ Set to Fight Gay-Marriage Bans in Supreme C... 16 hr Frankie Rizzo 439
•••
•••