Gay couples marry in Arkansas, most c...

Gay couples marry in Arkansas, most clerks sit out

There are 28 comments on the Seattle Post-Intelligencer story from May 12, 2014, titled Gay couples marry in Arkansas, most clerks sit out. In it, Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that:

Susan Barr, top, and Shelly Butler, both of Dallas, who were first to file paperwork for a marriage license at the Pulaski County Courthouse in Little Rock, Ark., kiss after their wedding ceremony Monday, May 12, 2014.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#1 May 12, 2014
The Clerks should do their job UNTIL a stay has been issued.........all the stalling in the world ISN'T going to change the outcome!!!

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#2 May 12, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
The Clerks should do their job UNTIL a stay has been issued.........all the stalling in the world ISN'T going to change the outcome!!!
I agree. What gives the clerks the right to decide what the law is ? We know what the law is because of the judge's ruling. They should do their jobs ! And if they won't do their jobs, then they should either quit or be fired !
IoanPueblo

United States

#3 May 13, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. What gives the clerks the right to decide what the law is ? We know what the law is because of the judge's ruling. They should do their jobs ! And if they won't do their jobs, then they should either quit or be fired !
Exactly. I am sick and tired of Christianists and their BS. Anything to delay and obfuscate. If they won't do their jobs then find people who will.
THE EYE

Gastonia, NC

#4 May 13, 2014
IoanPueblo wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I am sick and tired of Christianists and their BS. Anything to delay and obfuscate. If they won't do their jobs then find people who will.
You are on the losing end of history loan.When we take back this country,well it is going to be bad for for all you homos.We will win big in november.
Larry

Richardson, TX

#5 May 13, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
All sit outs should be fired period. If your hired to do a job, than do it period.
Larry

Richardson, TX

#6 May 13, 2014
THE EYE wrote:
<quoted text>You are on the losing end of history loan.When we take back this country,well it is going to be bad for for all you homos.We will win big in november.
Clueless....."When we take back this country' Just what country have you lost?
You need to find another site to post on. This site is above your head. And beyond your knowledge.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#7 May 13, 2014
THE EYE wrote:
<quoted text>You are on the losing end of history loan.When we take back this country,well it is going to be bad for for all you homos.We will win big in november.
There is NO Country to take back and I hardly doubt you will win big in November.........and your comment is like the wolf huffing and puffing, but DOESN'T blow ANYTHING down!!!

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#8 May 13, 2014
THE EYE wrote:
You're delusional.

Support for gay rights is ever-increasing.
FundieMentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#9 May 13, 2014
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
There is NO Country to take back and I hardly doubt you will win big in November.........and your comment is like the wolf huffing and puffing, but DOESN'T blow ANYTHING down!!!
If theocratic tendencies recede and they can't get away with the "free speech" of disparaging various minorities (and women) then they have lost their country.

Also, I can't explain how it could be possible, but I think R. could gain in the Senate, maybe even take control of it. Again, I just don't see how those who aren't rich could support such politicians...who will slowly and surely eviscerate the ongoing prospects of the non rich.

But the R. base of mouthbreaters, theocrats, bigots and tee baggrz has always been deranged.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#10 May 13, 2014
FundieMentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
If theocratic tendencies recede and they can't get away with the "free speech" of disparaging various minorities (and women) then they have lost their country.
Also, I can't explain how it could be possible, but I think R. could gain in the Senate, maybe even take control of it. Again, I just don't see how those who aren't rich could support such politicians...who will slowly and surely eviscerate the ongoing prospects of the non rich.
But the R. base of mouthbreaters, theocrats, bigots and tee baggrz has always been deranged.
Another 6 seconds. Another screen name.
MicroJ

Jacksonville, AR

#12 May 13, 2014
I wonder if we could get marijuana legalized with the same last minute, close of business tactic judge piazza used to legalize gay marriage?
FundieMentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#13 May 13, 2014
MicroJ wrote:
I wonder if we could get marijuana legalized with the same last minute, close of business tactic judge piazza used to legalize gay marriage?
Last minute? You deranged, faux victim, Marriage equality has been an issue for decades now. Windsor was a long time ago now. Piazza's decision is in the context of about thirty other decisions just like it at various levels of the judiciary. His decision will be reviewed by higher courts, like the other 29 or whatever will be, too.

Make up better lies to support your sexual sickness of homophobia, Cletus. Although it's fun to see what poor losers tee baggrz and fundie ignoramuses are.
MicroJ

Jacksonville, AR

#15 May 13, 2014
FundieMentally ill wrote:
<quoted text>
Last minute? You deranged, faux victim, Marriage equality has been an issue for decades now. Windsor was a long time ago now. Piazza's decision is in the context of about thirty other decisions just like it at various levels of the judiciary. His decision will be reviewed by higher courts, like the other 29 or whatever will be, too.
Make up better lies to support your sexual sickness of homophobia, Cletus. Although it's fun to see what poor losers tee baggrz and fundie ignoramuses are.
i never said i had a problem with marriage equality, nor did i say or imply i was against it, i believe gays, should be able to marry if they wish, i have a problem with the way the judge piazza thinks he is judge and jury, and obviously thinks if he does not agree with a law he can just change it, and that is what my previous post was stating, if he can change a law on gay marriage by himself with no voting, or any form of input from the voters in the state, what sops him from saying meth can be legal now

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#16 May 13, 2014
MicroJ wrote:
<quoted text>
i never said i had a problem with marriage equality, nor did i say or imply i was against it, i believe gays, should be able to marry if they wish, i have a problem with the way the judge piazza thinks he is judge and jury, and obviously thinks if he does not agree with a law he can just change it, and that is what my previous post was stating, if he can change a law on gay marriage by himself with no voting, or any form of input from the voters in the state, what sops him from saying meth can be legal now
Doesn't SCOTUS, and other federal judges. and state judges, sometimes rule laws unconstitutional ?

Would you rather they not have the legal power to do that ? Are you opposed to the majority decisions in Loving v. Virginia or Roe v. Wade ?

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#17 May 13, 2014
MicroJ wrote:
i have a problem with the way the judge piazza thinks he is judge and jury, and obviously thinks if he does not agree with a law he can just change it
He's doing his job.

The decision has nothing to do with whether or not he likes a given law; it has to do with whether or not the law is Constitutional.
MicroJ wrote:

, and that is what my previous post was stating, if he can change a law on gay marriage by himself with no voting, or any form of input from the voters in the state, what sops him from saying meth can be legal now
The fact that he would be quickly overturned by a higher court and lose credibility as a judge, which could result in losing his job.
FundieMentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#18 May 13, 2014
MicroJ wrote:
<quoted text>
What you said is flatly incorrect, as I explained.

Now you claim you support marriage equality. Fine. I'll try to remember that. You could have made this clear by posting, " I support this result but not the time of day the judge issued his ruling." But of course you posted nothing about your now claimed support of the result.

You further made some flatly incorrect statements about this decision. A very likely reason for you to do that - especially after being factually corrected - is that you have some animus about the result of the decision.

This judge did not just change the law himself. You need a better education, say, the beginning of a clue, about what "Windsor v." means, and how it relates to these _many_ similar ruling from judges around the country other than just Piazza.

You're not credible in the least. But that's fine if you want to keep posting that you support marriage equality. I'll watch for that.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#19 May 13, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
If they proceed with gay marriages they should quit or be fired.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#20 May 13, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com...
If they proceed with gay marriages they should quit or be fired.
You have that backwards. The law is that gay and lesbian people have a RIGHT to wed in Arkansas. If the clerks will not follow the law, they should be terminated.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#21 May 13, 2014
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
You have that backwards. The law is that gay and lesbian people have a RIGHT to wed in Arkansas. If the clerks will not follow the law, they should be terminated.
We disagree for more than one reason. It's okay.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#22 May 13, 2014
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
We disagree for more than one reason. It's okay.
Well, I don't think a stay has been issued, and I don't think a stay should be issued.

I have not read that a stay was even asked for.

And for all of those who are oppose dot marriage equality please tell me how the legally married gay and lesbian couples in California, Iowa, and New York, some of whom have been married for many years, has affected your life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Wondering 51,265
News California just added four more 'discriminatory... 2 hr spud 17
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 3 hr neighbor 1,857
Jades Diary 5 4 hr Maze 2
News Gay bar opens near Macon Road, drawing visitors... 5 hr Will Dockery 96
Can a Man be Gay But Only Like Oral Sex? (Aug '13) 5 hr Frankford 15
News Lesbian couple get divorce after politically ch... 5 hr Mari cone 17
News California AG bans state travel to Texas, 3 oth... 9 hr davy 67
Mississippi can enforce LGBT religious objecti... 16 hr Frankie Rizzo 10
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 16 hr Frankie Rizzo 26,386
More from around the web