Scottish Parliament passes gay marria...

Scottish Parliament passes gay marriage bill

There are 18 comments on the WTOV9 story from Feb 4, 2014, titled Scottish Parliament passes gay marriage bill. In it, WTOV9 reports that:

The Scottish Parliament has overwhelmingly voted in favor of a same-sex marriage bill, allowing the first such ceremonies to take place by the end of the year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WTOV9.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#1 Feb 4, 2014
Wow. I didn't see that one coming!
Sven

Switzerland

#2 Feb 4, 2014
Another country down the tubes.
david traversa

Cordoba, Argentina

#3 Feb 4, 2014
Overwhelmingly , eh ? Nice to know there's still a large portion of healthy brains in this world .. and a bad day for the bitter and the small .
amp

Las Vegas, NV

#4 Feb 4, 2014
snyper wrote:
Wow. I didn't see that one coming!
You must be a bottom.
amp

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Feb 4, 2014
"Scottish Parliament passes gay marriage bill"

What did you expect, in a country where guys wear skirts.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#7 Feb 5, 2014
105-18.

That's gotta be the most lopsided vote in favor of marriage equality so far.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Feb 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
105-18.
That's gotta be the most lopsided vote in favor of marriage equality so far.
Bar none.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#10 Feb 5, 2014
I believe Ireland will be voting on same-sex marriage this year. What's the story with Northern Ireland?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#11 Feb 5, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
I believe Ireland will be voting on same-sex marriage this year. What's the story with Northern Ireland?
Ireland is iffy. Next year or the one after would be better, but the boys and girls won't listen.

NI is under the British Parliament.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#12 Feb 5, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Ireland is iffy. Next year or the one after would be better, but the boys and girls won't listen.
NI is under the British Parliament.
My understanding is that marriage is legal in England and Wales. So is different legislation required for Northern Ireland?

“Get Involved!”

Since: Jan 14

New York City

#13 Feb 5, 2014
Hans wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Scots have always been a bunch of queers.
well then Hans, why don't you follow in your Fuerher's footsteps.....you do specialize in cleansing European society. While you're there stop off in Sochi and cleanse Russia for Putin
Xstain Fatwa

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Feb 5, 2014
Sven wrote:
Another country down the tubes.
Except it's every industrialized democracy, save for our fundie infested one here in the US.

That leaves you closet cases such gems as Nigeria, Russia, Iran, Saudi Arabia. Enjoy!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Feb 5, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
I believe Ireland will be voting on same-sex marriage this year. What's the story with Northern Ireland?
Well,

Once upon a time there was an Island nation called Ireland. It was ruled by various groups including Gaelic tribes, Vikings, Nomans, etc. In 1801 it officially became part of the United Kingdom. After a war of independence, in 1922 the free state of Ireland was created, but at the same time the 6 northeastern countries which remained loyal to England became Northern Ireland. Ever since then the protestant majority controlling Northern Ireland has battled the catholic minority.

And that's the story of Northern Ireland.

The end.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Feb 5, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding is that marriage is legal in England and Wales. So is different legislation required for Northern Ireland?
Yes. Like Scotland, Northern Ireland is a separate legal entity within the United Kingdom.

Though not exactly the same, the easiest correlation is to think of England, Wales, Scotland, & Northern Ireland as individual states within the United Kingdom.

The 4 areas are kinda self-governing with their own laws, but there are some laws which apply throughout the UK.

Persons born in the UK are citizens of the UK- i.e. British citizens. Just like someone born in Michigan is a citizen of the US, not a citizen of Michigan.

So same-sex couples can marry in England, Wales, & soon Scotland, but not in N. Ireland. And from what I've read, the N Ireland govt has no intention of putting up any legislation to allow it.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#17 Feb 5, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
105-18.
That's gotta be the most lopsided vote in favor of marriage equality so far.
I hope you don't mind me saying, "Spot On!"

(e.g.)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#18 Feb 7, 2014
nhjeff wrote:
<quoted text>
My understanding is that marriage is legal in England and Wales. So is different legislation required for Northern Ireland?
Yes, because of it's special status.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#19 Feb 7, 2014
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Like Scotland, Northern Ireland is a separate legal entity within the United Kingdom.
Though not exactly the same, the easiest correlation is to think of England, Wales, Scotland, & Northern Ireland as individual states within the United Kingdom.
The 4 areas are kinda self-governing with their own laws, but there are some laws which apply throughout the UK.
Persons born in the UK are citizens of the UK- i.e. British citizens. Just like someone born in Michigan is a citizen of the US, not a citizen of Michigan.
So same-sex couples can marry in England, Wales, & soon Scotland, but not in N. Ireland. And from what I've read, the N Ireland govt has no intention of putting up any legislation to allow it.
Thanks for the explanation.

And I agree about the N. I. Govt.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#20 Feb 7, 2014
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for the explanation.
And I agree about the N. I. Govt.
It will be interesting to see how the nationwide vote in Ireland turns out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 4 min Frankie Rizzo 13,159
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 25 min verygood 898
News The Latest: Celebrities record tribute to night... 34 min Frankie Rizzo 5
News Meet the Two Transgender Women Who Won Primary ... 38 min Peter 7
News The Latest: Obama pledges federal support in fl... 40 min sore but 15
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 52 min June VanDerMark 10,691
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 55 min EdmondWA 909
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 57 min EdmondWA 37,389
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 2 hr Turkey Day 979
More from around the web