Gay marriage foes mobilize for ban in California

Aug 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The York Daily Record

Michael Bumgarner says he's never campaigned for a political cause before, but his strong opposition to same-sex marriage has prompted him to join thousands of volunteers going door-to-door in support of a ...

Comments
47,981 - 48,000 of 55,539 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013

“Every Clock on the wall is now”

Since: Jun 08

where ever I wish it to be.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>Nope, they get to vote in 2012. The Iowa Supreme Court ruled today that same-sex marriage is protected under that state's constitution.
As in California, there will of course be an effort to amend the state constitution to prohibit gay marriage. In Iowa, most likely, this means that Iowans won't vote on the issue until 2012.
It turns out that you can build a very effective model by including just three variables:
1. The year in which the amendment was voted upon;
2. The percentage of adults in 2008 Gallup tracking surveys who said that religion was an important part of their daily lives;
3. The percentage of white evangelicals in the state.
These variables collectively account for about three-quarters of the variance in the performance of marriage bans in different states. The model predicts, for example, that a marriage ban in California in 2008 would have passed with 52.1 percent of the vote, almost exactly the fraction actually received by Proposition 8.
Unsurprisingly, there is a very strong correspondence between the religiosity of a state and its propensity to ban gay marriage, with a particular "bonus" effect depending on the number of white evangelicals in the state.
All of the other variables that I looked at -- race, education levels, party registration, etc.-- either did not appear to matter at all, or became redundant once we accounted for religiosity. Nor does it appear to make a significant difference whether the ban affected marriage only, or both marriage and civil unions.
So what does this mean for Iowa? The state has roughly average levels of religiosity, including a fair number of white evangelicals, and the model predicts that if Iowans voted on a marriage ban today, it would pass with 56.0 percent of the vote. By 2012, however, the model projects a toss-up: 50.4 percent of Iowans voting to approve the ban, and 49.6 percent opposed.
awwww it is sybil, how are the many dwellers in your head today, who is it we are speaking to today? you are a danger to children and should be locked up you sick-o, and why would we believe anything a pediphile had to say anyway... go back under your rock thy serpent, we do not like your kind, everyone protect your children from this filth that spews lies and non-truth....
secret lover

Long Branch, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

Judged:

what lover will I choose next , sometime a woman and sometimes a man, quess who

Since: Jan 08

Glenwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

maria wrote:
I don't what you do behind closed doors. But pleae keep in private. I know yo all want us to know. but please it private. But that is not in your agenda. As some one wants said I don't care what you do but please don't do it in the street and scare the horses, But you want everyone to know what you are doing. Pleae keep it a private and no csres but that is not what you want. SO SAD
I'll tell you what's sad. Your spelling and use of the English language. So sad.

“Queer love is here to stay.”

Since: May 07

Los Angeles

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

maria wrote:
I don't what you do behind closed doors. But pleae keep in private. I know yo all want us to know. but please it private. But that is not in your agenda. As some one wants said I don't care what you do but please don't do it in the street and scare the horses, But you want everyone to know what you are doing. Pleae keep it a private and no csres but that is not what you want. SO SAD
Sorry if we scared you and your horse, but you two should keep it in the stable.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>all intelligent people know and state that it will be 2012 when the voters strike down the whims of the Iowa justices. Do some research.
I did and gave sources.......all you have done is spout lies and crap

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>all intelligent people know and state that it will be 2012 when the voters strike down the whims of the Iowa justices. Do some research.
Here is an article about the process:

The only avenue would be a constitutional amendment, but under Iowa law that process would take at least two years. IT SAYS "AT LEAST 2 YEARS".

But there was no indication that the Legislature, controlled by Democrats, would take up the matter.

Unlike some states that have barred the marriages with voter-led ballot measures, voters here cannot directly initiate constitutional amendments. Instead, an amendment would require approval by state lawmakers during two legislative sessions, and then approval by voters at the ballot box. That means the earliest a prospective ban could take effect would be 2012.

AGAIN THE EARLIEST COULD BE 2012......NOT WILL BE.

Opponents of same-sex marriages want state lawmakers, who are a few weeks from finishing their annual legislative session, to begin the process now. But the idea seemed to have no backing among legislative leaders; both chambers here are controlled by Democrats.

“We’re just going to say no to amending our Constitution and putting discrimination into our Constitution,” said Michael E. Gronstal, a Democrat and State Senate majority leader, who noted that such an amendment had failed in the Senate several years ago, even before the suit that led to Friday’s ruling, and would, he said, most likely fail again.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/us/04iowa.h...

So, AGAIN.....IT APPEARS TO BE YOU THAT NEEDS TO DO THE RESEARCH.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 9, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a SICK PERVERTED BAS*ARD!

You know NOTHING OF PROUD LESBIAN'S BACKGROUND, yet you post filthy lies about HER AND HER FAMILY.

You might want to take a look at the TOS by Topix because you are way out of line here.

I personally know Proud and it is disgusting for you to ACCUSE her father of something that HE HAS NEVER DONE OR THOUGHT OF DOING.

You might want to get down on your f88king knees and pray for absolute forgiveness for spreading HATEFUL LIES and SLANDERING a GOOD AND DECENT PERSON.

Since: May 08

Beggs, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>No, your perversion is your sickness and your man-made wiccan demonic possession is part of your problem.
You are a liar now or Scarred Lesbian was a liar before. She is the one who said that her parents abused her. Her truth.
You might want to sit your perverted friend down and redirect her hateful lies and slander back at her parents.
I will await your post to her telling her to get down on her knees and deal with her lies and you both can pray for your lies and ask forgiveness for your sins of lesbianism. You might start with the fact that your mouth is polluted, like your lifestyle.
It is you and her with your demons that have defiled the innocence of your children and scarred their perception of parents, their mother and FATHER.
Reported to the FBIs internet crimes unit to investigate for internet stalking which is now a crime in every state.

Expect a visit.
yep

Greenbrae, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Judged:

did you know there is a direct correlation between how much you think the bible is accurate and a low I.Q.? it's true. google it if you don't believe me. fact: bible beater = low I.Q.

and really-- is it such a stretch to believe that someone who believes noah actually put 2 of each of the billions of earth's species on a boat, and/or dinosaurs didn't exist, etc. etc. etc. is in fact a %$#@ing moron?

trust me, they are. all people who believe in the crazy cult-like magical fairy tales of all these man-made organized religions are in fact exactly that-- morons.

so why bother arguing with them?? they are stupid sheep who have to mindlessly follow outdated fairy tales like they were still 4 years old because they can't figure things out on their own through a process known as "thinking"! so just let it go! you can't have a rational conversation with an irrational idiotic person!
Informed

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Judged:

yep wrote:
did you know there is a direct correlation between how much you think the bible is accurate and a low I.Q.? it's true. google it if you don't believe me. fact: bible beater = low I.Q.
and really-- is it such a stretch to believe that someone who believes noah actually put 2 of each of the billions of earth's species on a boat, and/or dinosaurs didn't exist, etc. etc. etc. is in fact a %$#@ing moron?
trust me, they are. all people who believe in the crazy cult-like magical fairy tales of all these man-made organized religions are in fact exactly that-- morons.
so why bother arguing with them?? they are stupid sheep who have to mindlessly follow outdated fairy tales like they were still 4 years old because they can't figure things out on their own through a process known as "thinking"! so just let it go! you can't have a rational conversation with an irrational idiotic person!
So let's talk about education. I have an advanced analytical career and profession. What *exactly* are your academic and professional achievement?

What a little mind you have. It sounds like you reject the notion of God because righteousness is repugnant to you.
==========
Philippians 2:8-10 (New American Standard Bible)

8Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

9 For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name,

10so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

==========
Informed

Novato, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Judged:

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>No, your perversion is your sickness and your man-made wiccan demonic possession is part of your problem.
You are a liar now or Scarred Lesbian was a liar before. She is the one who said that her parents abused her. Her truth.
You might want to sit your perverted friend down and redirect her hateful lies and slander back at her parents.
I will await your post to her telling her to get down on her knees and deal with her lies and you both can pray for your lies and ask forgiveness for your sins of lesbianism. You might start with the fact that your mouth is polluted, like your lifestyle.
It is you and her with your demons that have defiled the innocence of your children and scarred their perception of parents, their mother and FATHER.
Thank you for taking a stand against the propaganda and lies rooted in paganism and rebellion.
Get Real Homophobes

Saskatoon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Judged:

TRUTH wrote:
You are really getting out of hand. If you can't handle a debate on topix without having an emotional breakdown, then DON'T come on here. If you think that posts like this will be tolerated on either side of the fence you are about to be severely disappointed. You are hateful, inappropriate, and if you think that being on an anonymous internet site is going to save you from being held accountable from authorities from making these veiled threats, I will gladly prove you wrong. Get your head in order!!!

Since: Apr 09

Lodi, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Hello guys!

Could someone tell me why my posts are being deleted. I have posted 4 times today, and I go back to make sure they are there and they are, but within 10 mins. or so, I go back again and they are completely gone? If someone could respond quickly, as this question along with my other posts will probably disappear again. Thanks!

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>Where the source, perverted wiccan? Funny you don't believe in the Bible, because you claim it to be man-made. But, Gardner, manufactured your religion, and he that about 40 years ago.
Barring revision of joint rules (which is unlikely according to Iowa legislative leaders), the earliest the referendum could be introduced would be next year. It would then need to pass again in 2011 before going to the voters in November 2012. civilliberty.about.com/od/gendersexuality/qt/...
First off, My WIFE is Wiccan......not Gardnerian.

Secondly, The Wiccan Religion has been around for MORE THAN 40 YEARS.

Thirdly, from your own source it also says:

When is the Iowa state legislature likely to take up a constitutional ban?
The 2009 Iowa legislative session is scheduled to end on April 15th, and joint rules do not presently allow the introduction of new constitutional referenda after the deadline (which has already passed). Barring revision of joint rules (which is unlikely according to Iowa legislative leaders), the earliest the referendum could be introduced would be next year. It would then need to pass again in 2011 before going to the voters in November 2012. Based on this timetable, Iowa same-sex marriage will remain legal for at least 3.5 years.

Is the Iowa state legislature likely to pass a constitutional ban?
At this point, nobody really knows--but it is quite possible that the legislature could either vote down or block the ban during one of the two legislative sessions. If the ban is defeated in 2010, then it would need to be reintroduced in 2011, passed again in 2012, and voted on in 2013. If the ban passes in 2010 but is defeated in 2011, then it would need to be reintroduced in 2012, passed again in 2013, and voted on in 2014.
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gendersexual...

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
First off, Wiccan is a viable religion. The history of Wicca or “The Craft” is complex but traditional Wicca is rooted in the so called "British Mystery Traditions", for example the Picts, who existed before the rise of Celtic consciousness, the Celts, and some Celtic Druidism.

Wicca predates Christianity by about 28 000 years.
http://www.pier55.com/Bizzare-Unusual/Wicca-H...

A variety of archaeological discoveries, reveal that the history of Wicca can be traced as far back as the Paleolithic peoples who worshipped a Hunter God and a Fertility Goddess. Cave paintings, that are dated at around 30,000 years old, depict a man with the head of a stag, and a pregnant woman standing in a circle with eleven other people.

Wicca is the largest of the Neopagan religions. Wiccans have great reverence for the Earth and for their Goddess and her consort, the horned God. Their main rule of behavior is the Wiccan Rede which forbids them from harming people, including themselves, except in some cases of self-defense.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.ht...

Again, Proud Lesbian HAS NEVER STATED IN THIS FORUM THAT HER FATHER EVER SEXUALLY ABUSED HER. She does NOT have any CHILDREN.

It has and is your wishful thinking and belief in order to PROVE WHY SHE IS A LESBIAN.

YOU ARE A SICK PERSON to claim you know about our backgrounds just to prove you know why we are Gay or Lesbian.

If, I were you......I would back off of these RIDICULES ALLEGATIONS AND FIND ANOTHER PATH TO PROVE YOUR POINT

Topix will not tolerate Stalking or Slandering a member.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
Barring revision of joint rules (which is unlikely according to Iowa legislative leaders), the earliest the referendum could be introduced would be next year. It would then need to pass again in 2011 before going to the voters in November 2012. civilliberty.about.com/od/gendersexuality/qt/...
Here is more from your article to show just how long it will take:

Can the ruling be overturned by constitutional amendment?
Yes, but marriage equality advocates have a viable chance of fighting it. Under Iowa state law, a constitutional amendment must pass both chambers of the state legislature for two consecutive sessions before going to the voters as a ballot referendum.

When is the Iowa state legislature likely to take up a constitutional ban?
The 2009 Iowa legislative session is scheduled to end on April 15th, and joint rules do not presently allow the introduction of new constitutional referenda after the deadline (which has already passed). Barring revision of joint rules (which is unlikely according to Iowa legislative leaders), the earliest the referendum could be introduced would be next year. It would then need to pass again in 2011 before going to the voters in November 2012. Based on this timetable, Iowa same-sex marriage will remain legal for at least 3.5 years.

Is the Iowa state legislature likely to pass a constitutional ban?
At this point, nobody really knows--but it is quite possible that the legislature could either vote down or block the ban during one of the two legislative sessions. If the ban is defeated in 2010, then it would need to be reintroduced in 2011, passed again in 2012, and voted on in 2013. If the ban passes in 2010 but is defeated in 2011, then it would need to be reintroduced in 2012, passed again in 2013, and voted on in 2014.
http://civilliberty.about.com/od/gendersexual...

Enjoy

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>consider that you are talking to a woman, Rose T-H, who follows a man-made religion, of bafrely 40 years, Wicca, by a mentally ill man, Gardner, who opposed homosexuality. How dumb is that? I guess it is the I.Q. thing.
Truth,
I follow a spiritual path guided by a Higher Power

I do not believe in the bible and I don't believe in formalized religion.

You really need to research the history of Wicca, which pre-dates Christianity.

You, like most who don't understand the Wiccan Religion believe it is all tied into Gerald Gardner......just like you believe that Harry Hay is tied into NAMBLA.

Your right to believe what you want.....but your right ends when you start to attack others.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
<quoted text>consider that you are talking to a woman, Rose T-H, who follows a man-made religion, of bafrely 40 years, Wicca, by a mentally ill man, Gardner, who opposed homosexuality. How dumb is that? I guess it is the I.Q. thing.
Truth,
First off, I have NEVER DECLARED that I am Wiccan.
I do follow a spiritual path guided by a Higher Power.

I don't believe in Formalized Religion and I don't believe in the Bible.

Blessed Be

“Every Clock on the wall is now”

Since: Jun 08

where ever I wish it to be.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

TRUTH wrote:
you are a f**king liar, and I will not tolerate you bad mouthing my father, my father has never molested me, go back and read the post moron, I never said my father, you are an evil bastard that likes to spread lies, penny said her father, Rose T-H mentioned that her father molested her, not once did I mention my father, and it is on your soul that you accuse an innocent man of extremely wrong doing, so the devil will be welcoming you with open arms you spawn of satan, go back and read the post a@@ hole before you open your sewer mouth.... It is you that fights your demons of pedophilla and have to try and make others look bad for your own filthy thoughts... I feel sorry for any children that are in your life, for you will scar them badly....
Rose T-H

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

Truth,
First off, I have NEVER DECLARED that I am Wiccan.
I do follow a spiritual path guided by a Higher Power.

I don't believe in Formalized Religion and I don't believe in the Bible.

Blessed Be

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••