Gay marriage foes mobilize for ban in California

There are 55539 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Aug 24, 2008, titled Gay marriage foes mobilize for ban in California. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Michael Bumgarner says he's never campaigned for a political cause before, but his strong opposition to same-sex marriage has prompted him to join thousands of volunteers going door-to-door in support of a ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

jon

San Lorenzo, CA

#38 Aug 25, 2008
um why do you think so many millions of people are against this?um maybe because its wrong,maybe because men are not supposed to be bending each other over,why do you think men cant get pregnant?why do you think s.t.d's are spread way more easily with gays?anyone that disagrees with gay marriage is ignorant and hatefull now?gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex and then have the gay community pull together to get them out of jail,they are sick perverted people,and your calling me ignorant,maybe you should get your morals straight.

“A Proud Gay Parent”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#39 Aug 25, 2008
jon wrote:
um why do you think so many millions of people are against this?um maybe because its wrong,maybe because men are not supposed to be bending each other over,why do you think men cant get pregnant?why do you think s.t.d's are spread way more easily with gays?anyone that disagrees with gay marriage is ignorant and hatefull now?gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex and then have the gay community pull together to get them out of jail,they are sick perverted people,and your calling me ignorant,maybe you should get your morals straight.
Where exactly did you get your facts that gay men are always bribing children for sex? Every time I see a news report of child molestation, it's usually by a straight married man. And, just because he molests a boy does not make him gay. It's the same as rape - it's all about power, not sex. I've never had to bail anybody out of jail for child molestation (nor would I). Making these types of generalizations are not only wrong - they make you look foolish and unintelligent. But, if you insist on generalizations, then I think we could safely say all priests are peophiles, all evangelical ministers have been with prostitutes and/or have mistresses. All teachers have slept with their students. All straight women have had abortions. Etc.
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#41 Aug 25, 2008
The whole lesbian/gay concept is a bad idea! By far you are trying to justify something that has been forbidden for thousands of years to trying to make it alright? Get a grip!
GODLOVESGAYS

Saint Peters, MO

#42 Aug 25, 2008
jon wrote:
um why do you think so many millions of people are against this?um maybe because its wrong,maybe because men are not supposed to be bending each other over,why do you think men cant get pregnant?why do you think s.t.d's are spread way more easily with gays?anyone that disagrees with gay marriage is ignorant and hatefull now?gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex and then have the gay community pull together to get them out of jail,they are sick perverted people,and your calling me ignorant,maybe you should get your morals straight.
The "majority" being against something does not make it right or women would not have the right to vote and inner racial marriage would be illegal. As fas as men cannot get pregnant what of heterosexual women who cannot get pregnant - should they be denied the right to marry? STD'S are no more prevelant in the gay community as they are in the heterosexual community. Gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex - you must be joking - research - the majority of sexual attacks on children are committed by white, heterosexual men who a lot of the time are married - so perhaps an arguement sould be made that white, heterosexual men should not be allowed to marry if this is the mentality that is going to be used against gay marriage. In the last year how many sexual attacks that made the news have been committed by homosexuals as opposed to heterosexuals - the list is long and does not bode well for heterosexuals. Perhaps you should get your "facts" straight before you begin discussing morals and values.
Gay marriage is coming to this country
God bless
GODLOVESGAYS

Saint Peters, MO

#43 Aug 25, 2008
Garganchuan wrote:
The whole lesbian/gay concept is a bad idea! By far you are trying to justify something that has been forbidden for thousands of years to trying to make it alright? Get a grip!
What exactly is a gay/lesbian concept? I believe we are discussing human beings, not ideas.
God bless
Bernard

Santa Cruz, CA

#44 Aug 25, 2008
hanoverguy wrote:
I consider myself christian, however i'm not using that as an excuse to hate gays. The only problem I see is that for the last 2000+ years marriage has been considered a religious ceremony. Even this country was founded on christian principals. Why can't we go with civil unions with the exact same rights as married couples. If this is really about equal rights this seems like a valid compromise to me.
My wife and I were married 5 years ago. It was not at a church, and the person who performed the wedding was a civil and not a religious offical. God was not mentioned at all. Does that make my marriage worth less then somebody elses? Marriage is basically a civil contract these days, if you want to dress it up more in the eyes of whatever god or gods you follow, fine. Just don't stand in the way of people that also want it.
Slappy

Stamford, CT

#45 Aug 25, 2008
jon wrote:
um why do you think so many millions of people are against this?um maybe because its wrong,maybe because men are not supposed to be bending each other over,why do you think men cant get pregnant?why do you think s.t.d's are spread way more easily with gays?anyone that disagrees with gay marriage is ignorant and hatefull now?gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex and then have the gay community pull together to get them out of jail,they are sick perverted people,and your calling me ignorant,maybe you should get your morals straight.
Typical, uneducated propaganda spread by your typical uneducated moron.

You sound like the morons that tried to keep African Americans oppressed, and women at home. Wake up caveman!!!
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#46 Aug 25, 2008
GODLOVESGAYS wrote:
<quoted text>
What exactly is a gay/lesbian concept? I believe we are discussing human beings, not ideas.
God bless
BAD IDEA!
NOIP

Palo Alto, CA

#47 Aug 25, 2008
Garganchuan wrote:
The whole lesbian/gay concept is a bad idea! By far you are trying to justify something that has been forbidden for thousands of years to trying to make it alright? Get a grip!
A) It is not a concept as much as you try to believe it.
B) Its only been forbidden because society frowned upon it for so long and forced them into hiding for so long.
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#48 Aug 25, 2008
Look, if was alright 2 thousand years ago then we would have had a society that accepted it so openly! The reason why it's not so accepted because it's a concept like bank robbery. To make robbing banks ok, should make the point as to why it's not so accepted. It is a concept! Your brain somehow got the idea to be homo/gay opposed to what your teachings were, then you experienced sexual freedom, and now you are trying to justify being accepted for the immoral concept you'd like to expose and infect everyone with. Stay home!
Slappy

Stamford, CT

#49 Aug 25, 2008
Garganchuan wrote:
Look, if was alright 2 thousand years ago then we would have had a society that accepted it so openly! The reason why it's not so accepted because it's a concept like bank robbery. To make robbing banks ok, should make the point as to why it's not so accepted. It is a concept! Your brain somehow got the idea to be ****/gay opposed to what your teachings were, then you experienced sexual freedom, and now you are trying to justify being accepted for the immoral concept you'd like to expose and infect everyone with. Stay home!
Women were not "accepted" 2 thousand years ago. It wasn't very long ago that women finally began to be treated as equals. Some still aren't. African Americans were not accepted, they only became "accepted" in the last century, and also still face issues. Your argument about what was acceptable 2 thousand years ago is full of holes. Gays will be accepted, gay marriage will happen, and people will look back on this as they do now for the gender and race rights struggles.

Open your mind, the world is a much better place when you view it with an open and accepting mind!
Harlan Dickenson

Saint Paul, MN

#51 Aug 25, 2008
Fight them on the ramparts. Into the breech with your breeches on. Be stalwart.
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#53 Aug 25, 2008
I love woman and I am male. That is a concept! Accepted concept!

For the holmes and lesbos, not such an accepted concept. It comes with straight out immoral acts and dirty things!

“A Proud Gay Parent”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#54 Aug 25, 2008
Garganchuan wrote:
I love woman and I am male. That is a concept! Accepted concept!
For the holmes and lesbos, not such an accepted concept. It comes with straight out immoral acts and dirty things!
So, you're saying that heterosexual activity is moral and not dirty? Hmmm.... so, you think prostitution is just fine. You think 20 men gang-banging a woman is just fine. You think that men having mistresses on the side is just fine. All of these are heterosexual activities, y'know.

“REMEMBER TO THANK ”

Since: Aug 08

A VET FOR YOUR FREEDOM!

#55 Aug 25, 2008
jon wrote:
um why do you think so many millions of people are against this?um maybe because its wrong,maybe because men are not supposed to be bending each other over,why do you think men cant get pregnant?why do you think s.t.d's are spread way more easily with gays?anyone that disagrees with gay marriage is ignorant and hatefull now?gay men are always trying to bribe kids for sex and then have the gay community pull together to get them out of jail,they are sick perverted people,and your calling me ignorant,maybe you should get your morals straight.
jon,
Maybe you should research who spreads STD's before accussing someone.
Who said homosexuality is wrong?
Did someone tell you it was wrong?
Did GOD really say it was Wrong?
Heterosexual Males are the ones molesting young boys, not Gay Men.
The Law does not punish Molesters like they should.
Here in California, a Child Molester with priors, can get anywhere from 18 monthes on up for hurting a child. This is wrong. A Rapist gets a longer prison sentence.
Please get your facts straight.
So it is okay for men to bend women over, but not okay for men to do it.
That would be hypocritical.
I will not speak for others, but it is okay for you not to believe in Marriage Equality, but then does that mean I am not allowed to state how I feel about your disagreement. I think not.
I do not feel that heterosexuals should be allowed to marry on a whim, then say oops, I made a mistake.
Marriage is very sacred and should NEVER be entered into lightly.
G-ville man

Carlisle, PA

#56 Aug 25, 2008
Gay marriage? Why not. Midieval Christianity was accomodating. There are many records of having a religious ritual for same sex couples. Many cultures recognize and respect same sex living arrangements.

So far as it being uncommon for 2000 years, why does Apostle Paul fulminate against it and all other forms of sexuality? If it were rare, would he spend his time and ink writing about it? Besides the fact that he is a misogynist and helped Christianity bury women's accomplishments for 2 millennia, he traveled constantly in the company of men only. Hmmmm.
Something else to consider. If you take a map of the U.S. and highlight the counties with the highest percentage of Southern Baptists, and then take a map of the U.S. with the highest percentages of divorce, you will find they almost exactly overlap. In other words, states like OK, TX and LA have the highest percentages of both. Thank goodness they keep marriage sacred in those parts.

Also, true story. Bro is gay. He and partner live next door to hetero couple with son. Dad is abusive, Mom gets divorce, Dad leaves the 2 of them to find their own way through life.

Part 2. Bro & partner befriend boy and Mom. Bro mentors him through high school, into tech school. When kid gets married (to a female), his 2 gay neighbors (bro and partner) are accorded place of pride at the wedding.

Point:(tongue planted firmly in cheek), thank goodness only heteros are allowed to marry. Otherwise, who would nurture the children?

“REMEMBER TO THANK ”

Since: Aug 08

A VET FOR YOUR FREEDOM!

#57 Aug 25, 2008
Garganchuan wrote:
I love woman and I am male. That is a concept! Accepted concept!
For the holmes and lesbos, not such an accepted concept. It comes with straight out immoral acts and dirty things!
Garganchuan,
Great that you love women, so do I.
What's your problem?
I am sure that you have had a least one fantasy about two women making it while you watch, yet you call two woman lesbos.
So maybe if you stay out of the private lives of others, you might not be so unaccepting of it.
By the way, gays and lesbians are not looking for your approval or acceptance.
We only want what heterosexuals take for granted.
Garganchuan

Los Angeles, CA

#61 Aug 25, 2008
All of a sudden I have a problem for being outspoken against an idea of marraige between gays and lesbiens! I'm against it altogether for reasons stated above! I live in L.A.! I see it all the time. Two guys walking down the street, balls hanging out of their shorts, and some of the happiest people around. For the great strain these couples would put on our benefit system of health insurance, for one, would have to all be rewritten to accomodate the newly formed couple! That is what I'm against! Quit being a burden!
The Truth

Chambersburg, PA

#62 Aug 25, 2008
I am amazed that "Christians" think it is ok to be gay or lesbian. Or that marriage between such is OK. What bible are these folks reading from? I would love to here facts on this and not just an opinion.
G-ville man

Carlisle, PA

#63 Aug 25, 2008
Probably from the same Bible that preaches against divorce ("Let no man put asunder what God has joined".)
How many Christians also favor the death penalty? Support for the death penalty is strongest among the church goers.
The Bible also enjoins against the wearing of animal skins. Do any Christians thunder against wearing furs?
The Bible also condones multiple marriges. How many wives did Solomon have? How about David? How about Abraham?
The Bible also speaks of turning swords into plowshares and pruning hooks, how many militant Christians are there who support the Iraqi war?
Finding a tiny point (how many times did Christ condemn homos? Exactly none.
He did say that it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get to heaven. How many Christians seek to attain material gain? They are going against something explicitly condemned by Christ Himself. But it seems many are blinded by worrying who sleeps with whom. Wasn't there something about worring about the speck in the neighbors eye when your own eye has a log in it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Pediatrician Won't Treat Baby With Lesbian Moms 8 min Rosa_Winkel 1,374
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 10 min Frankie Rizzo 5,570
News Judge: Gay couples across Alabama have right to... 26 min Novus Ordo Seclorum 40
News Josh Duggar apology not enough? Fallout from mo... 35 min Nose basher 38
News Gay couple has adoption vacated now that they c... 49 min Oscar 11
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 55 min mitt s santorum s... 291
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 1 hr The Tudors 68,580
News 60 Percent: Record Number Of Americans Support ... 1 hr Just sayin 97
News SoCal Rep Wants to Outlaw Gay-to-Straight "Conv... 1 hr NorCal Native 98
More from around the web