Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polari...

Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polarizing This Debate?

There are 31 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Apr 1, 2013, titled Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polarizing This Debate? . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Commentary piece offering a simple solution to the debates over marriage equality, abortion rights and so on... don't allow clergy to certify marriages!

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#23 Apr 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
His post makes sense to me.
Yahweh, "The Creator Of All Things", did not ordain marriage. And He certainly did not command monogamy. Both are human inventiones.

“God made in the image of man”

Since: May 07

Sausalito, CA

#24 Apr 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
Who started it? That's a no brainer. Marriage (a man and a woman) has existed for all time. "Gay marriage" is an entirely new construct.
Well then you should also support polygamy because it has existed as long as marriage has, AND its supported in the Bible. Do you???

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#25 Apr 1, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then you should also support polygamy because it has existed as long as marriage has, AND its supported in the Bible. Do you???
Actually, the ONLY marriages mentioned in the bible are polygamous marriages. The Jews of the bible, in both testaments were polygamous, and they remained that way for more than a thousand years after the books of the bible were written.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#26 Apr 1, 2013
Exactly. Separate church and state.

Sausalito, CA

#27 Apr 2, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the ONLY marriages mentioned in the bible are polygamous marriages. The Jews of the bible, in both testaments were polygamous, and they remained that way for more than a thousand years after the books of the bible were written.
You've got it wrong again, pal -- 1 man + 1 woman marriages ARE mentioned in the Bible. The founder of Christianity, Saul of Tarsus, a.k.a. Paul, took it upon himself to impose the following restriction on his congregations:

1 Timothy 3:2 "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach" (KJV).

Ironic, isn't it, that Paul himself was never married, but selected this young Greek man Timothy (to whom he addresses the above letter) as his travelling companion on his visits to the congregations. The record doesn't state whether the excuse was that Timothy would carry Paul's luggage (as some modern christian preachers have been wont to cover up their behavior). The Biblical record does indicate, however, that Paul personally took Timothy and circumcised him -- this after Timothy was well beyond puberty -- all this even as Paul condemned "men who lie with men."

So is it any surprise that Christianity is a religion of hypocrites, considering that its founder Paul was the mother of all hypocrites? While professing to follow Jesus, Paul had no qualms about deviating from the example set by Jesus himself -- Jesus never insisted that marriage should be between one man and one woman, and certainly never said a word against homosexuality. On the contrary, while he never married and travelled about with 12 male companions, the record suggests that he loved one of his disciples John more than the others, and this same John testifies that he was the one who "reclined against Jesus' bosom" at the last supper.

Sausalito, CA

#28 Apr 2, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is untrue.
Please tell me exactly what marriage was like for people in teh Americas 11,000 (sic) years ago.
And teh Jews of the Old Testament were polygamous, and they remained polygamous until moving into Europe in around the 13th centruy. Is this the "biblical marriage" that you're advocating ? And the women were treated as property. Do you want to bring back slavery ?
And according to historian John Boswell, in his book "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century", the Roman Catholic Church actualy blessed gay marriages long ago.
And married women in the U.S. even in the early 20th century didn't have teh same rights that married women have today.
So what the heck are you talking about exactly ?! Please explain. Are you advocating marriage ONLY as it exoisted in teh U.S. from 1901 to 1919 (a short period of 18 years)?
That was a good overview, Foxy, even if I say so myself. Anyone who has not read the book that you mention above should definitely do so. Extremely scholarly and an excellent reading. And if I may add to what you said, John Boswell was a Professor of History at Yale University (regrettably he is no longer with us). He also wrote a second book, even more specific to the topic at hand, entitled "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" in which he delves into the Catholic marriages you mention above.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#29 Apr 2, 2013
His-truth wrote:
the un-natural will always seek to invade the natural ... the war is on
Foxy .. do you support polygamy ?
I have a problem with patriarchal polygamy.

Rationally, I have less problem with the IDEA of group corporate marriage. In practice, though ...... no data to draw on, so it remains a plausible IDEA.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#30 Apr 2, 2013
Umninimuzi wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a good overview, Foxy, even if I say so myself. Anyone who has not read the book that you mention above should definitely do so. Extremely scholarly and an excellent reading. And if I may add to what you said, John Boswell was a Professor of History at Yale University (regrettably he is no longer with us). He also wrote a second book, even more specific to the topic at hand, entitled "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" in which he delves into the Catholic marriages you mention above.
There are some very valid facts in Boswell, but most of his inferences and suggestioned interpretations were obviously intended to be seminal*.

(*seminal -- in the academic context, "seminal" refers to writings that are intended to trigger and foster further researches by graduate degree candidates and undergraduate students.)

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#31 Apr 2, 2013
All this discussion of what the bible does or does not say about marriage is in no way relevant. The fact is that marriage is a civil structure, and is licensed by, and granted benefits by the state. A religious marriage is not required, and even when a marriage is done in a religious setting it is done "by he power vested in me (the official) by the State of *****". So as far as I am concerned, the "church" can stick their marriages where the Sun don't shine. And they should immediately stop trying to insert their religious dogma into secular law.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#32 Apr 2, 2013
RalphB wrote:
All this discussion of what the bible does or does not say about marriage is in no way relevant. The fact is that marriage is a civil structure, and is licensed by, and granted benefits by the state. A religious marriage is not required, and even when a marriage is done in a religious setting it is done "by he power vested in me (the official) by the State of *****". So as far as I am concerned, the "church" can stick their marriages where the Sun don't shine. And they should immediately stop trying to insert their religious dogma into secular law.
I agree. But the Catholic Church doesn't.

Sausalito, CA

#33 Apr 2, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some very valid facts in Boswell, but most of his inferences and suggestioned interpretations were obviously intended to be seminal*.
(*seminal -- in the academic context, "seminal" refers to writings that are intended to trigger and foster further researches by graduate degree candidates and undergraduate students.)
True.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 min Ronald 9,951
Are Americans Fed Up With LGBT? 8 min Rainbow Kid 6
News Doritos makes rainbow chips in support of gay r... (Sep '15) 14 min Prisoner of my Mo... 2,406
News Former Missouri college wrestler sentenced for ... 19 min Prisoner of my Mo... 7
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 1 hr Ex Senator Santpo... 41
News Lawyer: Let same-sex marriage start in Mississippi (Dec '14) 2 hr Bob 6
News Gay couple denied baby through surrogate challe... 2 hr Ame Nunley 32
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 3 hr Freedomofexpression 56,087
News Senate hopeful Roy Moore: gay sex is the 'same ... 3 hr EdmondWA 24
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 5 hr Harris 65
More from around the web