Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polari...

Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polarizing This Debate?

There are 31 comments on the lezgetreal.com story from Apr 1, 2013, titled Marriage Equality: Can We Stop Polarizing This Debate? . In it, lezgetreal.com reports that:

Commentary piece offering a simple solution to the debates over marriage equality, abortion rights and so on... don't allow clergy to certify marriages!

Join the discussion below, or Read more at lezgetreal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Apr 1, 2013
Demographics will alleviate the polarization on marriage equality.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Apr 1, 2013
Homophobia is a religious disease that causes homophobes to physically and verbally assault strangers
Banning religion is the only way to stop homophobia

Since: Apr 08

Chagrin Falls, OH

#3 Apr 1, 2013
When the anti-gay stop trying to legislate second-class citizen status for me and people like me, then I'll stop complaining about their bigotry.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Apr 1, 2013
Gay And Proud wrote:
When the anti-gay stop trying to legislate second-class citizen status for me and people like me, then I'll stop complaining about their bigotry.
I agree.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#5 Apr 1, 2013
Who started it? That's a no brainer. Marriage (a man and a woman) has existed for all time. "Gay marriage" is an entirely new construct.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Apr 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
Who started it? That's a no brainer. Marriage (a man and a woman) has existed for all time. "Gay marriage" is an entirely new construct.
Your post is untrue.

Please tell me exactly what marriage was like for people in teh Americas 11,000 (sic) years ago.

And teh Jews of the Old Testament were polygamous, and they remained polygamous until moving into Europe in around the 13th centruy. Is this the "biblical marriage" that you're advocating ? And the women were treated as property. Do you want to bring back slavery ?

And according to historian John Boswell, in his book "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century", the Roman Catholic Church actualy blessed gay marriages long ago.

And married women in the U.S. even in the early 20th century didn't have teh same rights that married women have today.

So what the heck are you talking about exactly ?! Please explain. Are you advocating marriage ONLY as it exoisted in teh U.S. from 1901 to 1919 (a short period of 18 years)?

“the end-times is now”

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#7 Apr 1, 2013
the un-natural will always seek to invade the natural ... the war is on

Foxy .. do you support polygamy ?

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#8 Apr 1, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
Banning religion
yeah .. you get right on that

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#9 Apr 1, 2013
His-truth wrote:
the un-natural will always seek to invade the natural ... the war is on
Foxy .. do you support polygamy ?
I'm a Libertarian. I have no opinion on polygamy as it does not affect me in any way whatsoever.

I know a gay couple who married in Massachsetts almost 4 years ago. Please tell me how their marriage has affected your life. Give specific examples.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#10 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is untrue.
Please tell me exactly what marriage was like for people in teh Americas 11,000 (sic) years ago.
And teh Jews of the Old Testament were polygamous, and they remained polygamous until moving into Europe in around the 13th centruy. Is this the "biblical marriage" that you're advocating ? And the women were treated as property. Do you want to bring back slavery ?
And according to historian John Boswell, in his book "Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century", the Roman Catholic Church actualy blessed gay marriages long ago.
And married women in the U.S. even in the early 20th century didn't have teh same rights that married women have today.
So what the heck are you talking about exactly ?! Please explain. Are you advocating marriage ONLY as it exoisted in teh U.S. from 1901 to 1919 (a short period of 18 years)?
What gays choose to ignore when discussing "biblical marriages" is that some of the Jews, especially prominent ones, typically disobeyed God. Those stories are told to exemplify what they did wrong and what happened as a result. Solomon, for example, had 700 wives in direct disobedience to God. Because of his lack of obedience, his kingdom was divided. As for John Boswell, I would never trust any book written by a historian who focused on homosexuality and Christianity and then died of AIDS.

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#11 Apr 1, 2013
Foxy = I have no opinion on polygamy

........ thank you for your support

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#13 Apr 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
What gays choose to ignore when discussing "biblical marriages" is that some of the Jews, especially prominent ones, typically disobeyed God. Those stories are told to exemplify what they did wrong and what happened as a result. Solomon, for example, had 700 wives in direct disobedience to God. Because of his lack of obedience, his kingdom was divided. As for John Boswell, I would never trust any book written by a historian who focused on homosexuality and Christianity and then died of AIDS.
I was talking about polygamy amongst the Jews between the years 1200 A.D. and 1600 A.D. That's certainly not "ancient times". Some Jews are still polygamous. And polygamy is NOT forbidden in the bible. The Jews were largely polygamous until moving into Christianized Europe in around the 12th century A.D. Nothing in Judaism forbids polygamy.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#14 Apr 1, 2013
And teh bible has NOTHING TO DO with civil marriage laws.

If it DID, then Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists would be forbiddent to marry under civil law in the U.S., because those people do not even believe in the existence of Yahweh. So aren't their civil marriages in the U.S. contrary to God's laws ?
Chance

Grove City, PA

#16 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
And teh bible has NOTHING TO DO with civil marriage laws.
If it DID, then Hindus, Buddhists, and atheists would be forbiddent to marry under civil law in the U.S., because those people do not even believe in the existence of Yahweh. So aren't their civil marriages in the U.S. contrary to God's laws ?
No, not contrary. They are still a man and a woman as God designated.
Chance

Grove City, PA

#17 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about polygamy amongst the Jews between the years 1200 A.D. and 1600 A.D. That's certainly not "ancient times". Some Jews are still polygamous. And polygamy is NOT forbidden in the bible. The Jews were largely polygamous until moving into Christianized Europe in around the 12th century A.D. Nothing in Judaism forbids polygamy.
Jesus, while he said,“Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them," (Matthew 5:17) also clarified many of the laws. In Matthew 19, he clarified the marriage law, clearly stating it is a man and a woman. The Jews rejected Christ as the Messiah and didn't follow his directives.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#18 Apr 1, 2013
Chance wrote:
<quoted text>
No, not contrary. They are still a man and a woman as God designated.
Um, since they specifically disavow the existence of God, isn't that a problem for your position ?

“the end-times is now”

Location hidden

#19 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
since they specifically disavow the existence of God, isn't that a problem for your position ?
God's design is God's design .. whether man believes in God or not .. man's belief or lack thereof does not change God's design .. it is what it is

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#20 Apr 1, 2013
His-truth wrote:
<quoted text>
God's design is God's design .. whether man believes in God or not .. man's belief or lack thereof does not change God's design .. it is what it is
Your post is nonsense and your postion is ludicrous.

And btw, I'm a church-going Christian.

PEACE !

:)
Chance

Grove City, PA

#21 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, since they specifically disavow the existence of God, isn't that a problem for your position ?
No, it isn't. Whether they believe marriage is from God or not, they are still following God's directives for marriages if atheistic marriages are a man and a woman. If atheists don't want to follow God's plan, then maybe they should all go with "gay marriage."
Chance

Grove City, PA

#22 Apr 1, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post is nonsense and your postion is ludicrous.
And btw, I'm a church-going Christian.
PEACE !
:)
His post makes sense to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 2 min nhjeff 7,085
News Gay couple quickly granted marriage license aft... 3 min WasteWater 3
News Gay marriage opponents propose 2 Colorado ballo... 6 min Fa-Foxy 44
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 8 min nhjeff 398
News Huckabee: 'Redefinition of love' threatens marr... 12 min RayOne 48
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? 13 min Wholly Silicon Wafer 107
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 31 min Mark 52,025
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 2 hr WasteWater 585
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr The_Box 22,896
More from around the web