4 sentenced to prison in attack on ga...

4 sentenced to prison in attack on gay man in Ky.

There are 13 comments on the WKYT story from Jun 19, 2013, titled 4 sentenced to prison in attack on gay man in Ky.. In it, WKYT reports that:

Four people from eastern Kentucky have been sentenced to federal prison for their roles in the kidnapping and attack of a gay man.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WKYT.

It Gets Better

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Jun 19, 2013
Thank you WKYT; for getting the word out
The many people who have been pooh-pooing the Federal Hate Crimes Law can finally see how hard it bites
30 years in The Big House is a long; long time

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Jun 19, 2013
They'll be out in under 10.

Location hidden

#5 Jun 19, 2013
Oh wait! It said FEDERAL Prison.

They'll be out in 12.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#7 Jun 19, 2013
It Gets Better wrote:
Thank you WKYT; for getting the word out
The many people who have been pooh-pooing the Federal Hate Crimes Law can finally see how hard it bites
30 years in The Big House is a long; long time
Unfortunately you are in error. The jury did NOT convict them of Hate Crimes.

FTA: "A federal jury in London, Ky., found the two men guilty in 2012 of kidnapping 30-year-old Kevin Pennington. The jury acquitted both men of federal hate crime charges."

I noticed the two women who pleaded guilty of Hate Crimes got fairly light sentences compared to 38-year-old David Jason Jenkins and 22-year-old Anthony Ray Jenkins.

" 20-year-old Mable Ashley Jenkins was sentenced to 100 months in prison and 20-year-old Alexis LeeAnn Jenkins to eight years in prison. The two women pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting kidnapping and a hate crime. They testified for the prosecution at trial.

I'm not surprised the jury didn't find them guilty of a Federal Hater Crime. This is after all Kentucky, the State that wants to ban the word "gay" in it's schools! No way were they ever going to convict on that charge.

To me this is a small victory. But it's not a milestone case in forwarding Hate Crime laws.
It Gets Better

Alpharetta, GA

#10 Jun 19, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately you are in error. The jury did NOT convict them of Hate Crimes.
FTA: "A federal jury in London, Ky., found the two men guilty in 2012 of kidnapping 30-year-old Kevin Pennington. The jury acquitted both men of federal hate crime charges."
I noticed the two women who pleaded guilty of Hate Crimes got fairly light sentences compared to 38-year-old David Jason Jenkins and 22-year-old Anthony Ray Jenkins.
" 20-year-old Mable Ashley Jenkins was sentenced to 100 months in prison and 20-year-old Alexis LeeAnn Jenkins to eight years in prison. The two women pleaded guilty to aiding and abetting kidnapping and a hate crime. They testified for the prosecution at trial.
I'm not surprised the jury didn't find them guilty of a Federal Hater Crime. This is after all Kentucky, the State that wants to ban the word "gay" in it's schools! No way were they ever going to convict on that charge.
To me this is a small victory. But it's not a milestone case in forwarding Hate Crime laws.
Then in that case; adding the hate crime rap would have added even more years to his 30 year sentence
The guy would have been close to 90 years old when they finally turned him loose on gay people again

Location hidden

#11 Jun 19, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately you are in error. The jury did NOT convict them of Hate Crimes.
So, let me get this right ...

The two girls are guilty of "aiding and abetting" the commission of a hate crime by two guys who were acquitted of committing the very hate crime the two girls are guilty of "aiding and abetting".

What is there to say?

It's THE SOUTH !!!
Nolan

France

#14 Jun 19, 2013
snyper wrote:
They'll be out in under 10.
Hopefully a lot sooner than that.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#15 Jun 19, 2013
If the person was victimized because of their sexual orientation why are the perpetrators being acquitted of hate crime charges and how are the two women not being acquitted of the hate crime thing as well?
big boy

Hazard, KY

#16 Jun 21, 2013
Seems like an excessive sentence to me. Wonder what the jury that acquitted them of a "hate crime" thinks of it.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#17 Jun 21, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
If the person was victimized because of their sexual orientation why are the perpetrators being acquitted of hate crime charges and how are the two women not being acquitted of the hate crime thing as well?
Probably because the jury was biased

Location hidden

#18 Jun 21, 2013
C'mon guys!

It's ... the SOUTH !!!
Bart

London, KY

#19 Jun 21, 2013
Nature is biased. That's why there are two sexes.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#23 Jun 21, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
So, let me get this right ...
The two girls are guilty of "aiding and abetting" the commission of a hate crime by two guys who were acquitted of committing the very hate crime the two girls are guilty of "aiding and abetting".
What is there to say?
It's THE SOUTH !!!
No It's Kentucky.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 3 min Brian_G 1,253
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 4 min Brian_G 5,897
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 42 min Wondering 880
News Angry ex-paratroopers interrupt gay rights prot... 1 hr Rainbow Kid 1
News Boy Scouts of America ends ban on gay adults 2 hr Rose_NoHo 60
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 2 hr Rose_NoHo 1,826
News How is it that cake became a favourite platform... 4 hr Fa-Foxy 8
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 hr Respect71 24,138
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 6 hr Frankie Rizzo 8,192
More from around the web