Obama Announces Full Support for Gay ...

Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

There are 26163 comments on the politix.topix.com story from May 9, 2012, titled Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#13918 Jul 20, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text> The high rates of divorce, out of wedlock births and single parent homes that you speak of are all problematic of the heterosexuals. I find it hard to believe that same sex marriage will affect them negatively in any way. With the exception of divorce, it could possible change by a percentage point. That being said it could also make a positive change in the rate. Thus lowering the overall percentage.
That is a reality, reality.

As to the question:

Why do we accept, marriage- father/give birth to children-divorce, repeat, step families, blended families, SSC head families, etc., yet "draw the line" at consentual polygamy?

Answers.....thoughts?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#13919 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps that is true. Acceptence of polygamist families question?
Not an issue. I really like to ski and snowboard, but thta's one slippery slope I will pass on. it has already been proven to not come true.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#13920 Jul 20, 2012
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Not an issue. I really like to ski and snowboard, but thta's one slippery slope I will pass on. it has already been proven to not come true.
The question I asked was this:

Why do we accept, marriage- father/give birth to children-divorce, repeat, step families, blended families, SSC head families, etc., yet "draw the line" at consentual polygamy?
Reality

Madison, WI

#13921 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how "religious" to you implied fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian. Would you have problems with Muslim zealots, Hindu Zealots, Jewish zealots, etc.?
And the secular "whackjobs" are acceptable to you?
Actually I implied, Islam, Judaism and Christianity, you all follow the same god. But yes that would also include any and all religions.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#13922 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>

What's Next after Marriage Equality, Polygamy? Yes
No.

It is a separate issue which has little or no public support.

NEXT

St. Croix valley

#13923 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
The question I asked was this:
i don't know. Because we have no laws set up for it?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#13924 Jul 20, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
We took the use of "gay" as a derogatory term away from you and made it a community identity--a positive designation of our desire to empower ourselves in the face of oppression.
The term "homosexual" only means someone who is physically and emotionally attracted to their own gender. Many people don't use it because it is a clunky, technical term, much like people preferring the tterm "human" over "homo sapiens sapiens."
We ARE mainstream, moron. We own businesses, we are in the halls of power, we are everywhere.
<quoted text>
BS, In the 'face' of oppression? If you own your own businesses, if you are in the halls of power? Where is the oppression? The definition of gay was what was given, is from a dictionary printed in 1950? What does 'clunky' mean as regards homosexuality? Words mean what they say? "Clunky" means something that makes noise, when it hits a surface? Nobody said you didn't own your own businesses? The only opinion you can hang your hat on, is that you flaunt your sexuality, now more than ever? Well, here goes, I'm heterosexual, I adore females, especially my beautiful Wife, my Daughter, and my Granddaughter? Turn about, is fair play...
Reality

Madison, WI

#13925 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a reality, reality.
As to the question:
Answers.....thoughts?
I am attempting to follow your train of thought. I fail to understand how and why polygamy pertains to same sex marriage. I have not read nor heard of a gay man or woman requesting to marry multiple people of the same sex. If you are questioning why polygamy is against the law in the US, or you are asking for the right to marry multiple people, seek legal counsel. I can only speak of why I think its illegal and that would be fair and equitable property disbursement upon a divorce.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#13926 Jul 20, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I implied, Islam, Judaism and Christianity, you all follow the same god. But yes that would also include any and all religions.
Fair enough. Thank you for that clarification

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#13927 Jul 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
It is a separate issue which has little or no public support.
NEXT
Okay Wastey, what are your thoughts on this question?

St. Croix valley

#13928 Jul 20, 2012
Chicagoan by Birth wrote:
<quoted text>BS, In the 'face' of oppression? If you own your own businesses, if you are in the halls of power? Where is the oppression? The definition of gay was what was given, is from a dictionary printed in 1950? What does 'clunky' mean as regards homosexuality? Words mean what they say? "Clunky" means something that makes noise, when it hits a surface? Nobody said you didn't own your own businesses? The only opinion you can hang your hat on, is that you flaunt your sexuality, now more than ever? Well, here goes, I'm heterosexual, I adore females, especially my beautiful Wife, my Daughter, and my Granddaughter? Turn about, is fair play...
How does he "flaunt" his sexuality? by saying he is gay?

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Location hidden

#13929 Jul 20, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text>I am attempting to follow your train of thought. I fail to understand how and why polygamy pertains to same sex marriage. I have not read nor heard of a gay man or woman requesting to marry multiple people of the same sex. If you are questioning why polygamy is against the law in the US, or you are asking for the right to marry multiple people, seek legal counsel. I can only speak of why I think its illegal and that would be fair and equitable property disbursement upon a divorce.
You are correct. It is an entirely separate issue. It is also called a red herring.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-...

Topic A is under discussion.
Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
Topic A is abandoned.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#13930 Jul 20, 2012
cpeter1313 wrote:
You can define it that way for yourself, but not anyone else. I don't have sex to reproduce, ever.
<quoted text>
I'm not 'defining' sex...it's a biological given.....
Reality

Madison, WI

#13931 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly so the constitutional rights of plural marriage practitioners should be upheld.
http://pluralwife.blogspot.com/2011/07/whats-...
What's Next after Marriage Equality, Polygamy? Yes
I have consistently said that I believe Lawrence v. Texas protects the right to privacy of consenting adult polygamists against "cohabitational" bigamy. For those of you who are new to my blog, "cohabitational bigamy" is my reference to Utah's bigamy statute that defines bigamy as a married person who "cohabits with another person". If you cohabit with more than one partner and even though you are not legally married to both partners, you can be charged with bigamy in the state of Utah. That is a joke and is overreaching on the part of the state into the homes and bedrooms, of consenting adults. This right to privacy legal argument stems from Griswold v. Connecticut, which is a court decision that basically says that doctors cannot be required to provide birth control only to married women. In the case of consenting adults who desire to have more than one life partner in their family, and they are not seeking multiple marriage licenses or marital recognition from the state for those partners, the state has no business regulating their relationships.
The case by the 'Sister Wives' Brown family addresses this privacy element better than any I've seen so far.
Below find an the beginning of an interesting article by Dr. Jillian T. Weiss. Here are some excerpts, follow the link for the whole article. Dr. Weiss addresses one of the key legal elements of Lawrence v. Texas, whether or not the right to privacy of consenting adults can be curtailed by the state's interest to legislate morality.
After Marriage Equality, What's Next, Polygamy? Yes. Filed By Dr. Jillian T. Weiss | July 12, 2011 12:00 PM Category: Politics Tags: Kody Brown, polygamy, Sister Wives, Utah
According to a New York Times article today, Kody Brown, star of the reality TV show "Sister Wives," is heading to court to challenge the Utah law against polygamy. He has four wives and 16 children and stepchildren.
According to the Times, "[l]aw enforcement officials in the Browns' home state, Utah, announced soon after the show began that the family was under investigation for violating the state law prohibiting polygamy." The Browns are expected to file suit tomorrow.
To be clear, the Times noted that "Mr. Brown has a civil marriage with only one of his wives; the rest are 'sister wives,' not formally wedded."
I think Mr. Brown has as much of a right to his relationships, as do his wives, as same-sex couples, or people who have multiple sex partners. Since when is it a crime to live together with your sex partners? Well, it is in Utah.
To be clear, the Times noted that "Mr. Brown has a civil marriage with only one of his wives; the rest are 'sister wives,' not formally wedded."

Mr Brown is only legally wed to one wife, so Mr Brown has not broken any polygamy laws. Had Mr Brown, married each wife in a civil manner ( applied and received multiple marriage licences and utilized them) then Mr Brown would be under the scrutitiny of law. As it stands Mr Brown is guilty of nothing more than an open and consensual marriage where he has more than one sexual partner.

Location hidden

#13932 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting how "religious" to you implied fundamentalist and/or evangelical Christian. Would you have problems with Muslim zealots, Hindu Zealots, Jewish zealots, etc.?
And the secular "whackjobs" are acceptable to you?
Another red herring example. Thanks.

The original post was talking about the 613 laws and statutes in the Law of Moses. Your reply has nothing to do with that.

Thanks again. This is your stock and trade. Logical fallacies.

We got it.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#13933 Jul 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct. It is an entirely separate issue. It is also called a red herring.
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/red-...
Topic A is under discussion.
Topic B is introduced under the guise of being relevant to topic A (when topic B is actually not relevant to topic A).
Topic A is abandoned.
Red herring huh??? You mean like 'slavery' and 'women's rights' are 'red herrings' for you all???

Location hidden

#13934 Jul 20, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Wastey, what are your thoughts on this question?
Another red herring.

Not interested.

DISMISSED

NEXT

Location hidden

#13935 Jul 20, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Red herring huh??? You mean like 'slavery' and 'women's rights' are 'red herrings' for you all???
Those are related too fundamental rights and the 14th amendment.

Go take a civics class.

NEXT

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#13936 Jul 20, 2012
Reality wrote:
<quoted text> The high rates of divorce, out of wedlock births and single parent homes that you speak of are all problematic of the heterosexuals. I find it hard to believe that same sex marriage will affect them negatively in any way. With the exception of divorce, it could possible change by a percentage point. That being said it could also make a positive change in the rate. Thus lowering the overall percentage.
So gay people don't have kids out of wedlock???? Gay people don't divorce???? Gay people aren't single parents?????

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#13937 Jul 20, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Another red herring.
Not interested.
DISMISSED
NEXT
Run away, run away!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr cpeter1313 46,379
News 2nd Circuit allows sex bias suit based on gay s... 2 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
News Columbus Bans 'Ex-Gay' Therapy To Minors 3 hr Gov Corbutt of th... 3
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 3 hr River Tam 25,305
News Why does the Texas criminal code still ban "hom... 4 hr The Troll Stopper 34
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 5 hr The Troll Stopper 5,418
News Catholic Church Waging War on Women and Gays (Oct '07) 12 hr Junket 217,519
News 'Reading a book can't turn you gay,' say author... 12 hr Johnny 117
More from around the web