Obama Announces Full Support for Gay ...

Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

There are 26164 comments on the politix.topix.com story from May 9, 2012, titled Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#8438 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
TRANSLATION: "I still got nothin'."
TRANSLATION: "I can't see the obvious from inside the rainbow whale".

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#8439 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...seem to have struck a nerve there.
Seeing things that aren't there again?
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Just offering food for thought. The conversation doesn't always have to be point and counter point.
Oh, well in that case. Did you know that within religious denominiations, fundamentalist christians have the highest divorce rate and thus contribute in a larger percentage to the denegration of the institution? Just food for thought.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So would you accept a alternative form of legal recognition that grants all of the benefits to heterosexuals, to homosexuals? Or opposite sex couples to same sex couples?
No. Nor will I be accepting seperate drinking fountains or bathroom facilities. An institution already exists, there is no need for a seperate one. This isn't about accepting, it's about entitlement.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8440 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually they have. Wife and bride previous were terms applied to property.
But, in modern times, their meanings are pretty stagnate yes. And the meanings to these words aren't altered one tiny iota when gays marry. They all still mean exactly the same thing.
<quoted text>
LOL!! Who's removing half? Not us gays. I'm half of my marriage, my husband is the other half. Feel free to try again though.
<quoted text>
Um, actually you are the one not making any sense.
<quoted text>
Why do fundies suck so bad at creating analogies? The PROPER way to have created that analogy would be by recognizing the root, which is the BURGER. And they are both still burgers. the "ham" would be a distincter, just like "same sex" or "inter-racial" or "hetero".
Please feel free to try again though.
Are a "tofurkey" and a turkey the same thing?

“Open your eyes, people”

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#8441 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:

NO POTTY MOUTH TALK!
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like this?

Marvin in Denver wrote:
Some people are actually honest, DICK BREATH!
No! That's just actual fact.

Location hidden

#8442 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
Here's one
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/ga...
Living in Massachusetts, where gay marriage is legal, this is one of the hazards of being gay. Everyone expects you to be pro-gay marriage, and I can’t say that I am.
Don’t get me wrong. I think Sam should have inheritance/pension/social security rights, be my healthcare proxy, get the tax breaks, be eligible for citizenship, etc., etc., exactly like heterosexual married couples. What I’m against is the use of the word “marriage,” and I think we would have achieved equal rights by now, on a national level, if so much breath hadn’t been wasted and the right-wing gotten its knickers in a twist over the nomenclature.
Well, you found ONE. Good for you. Now, I believe the question was, do I believe that he is promoting personal prejudices. The answer would be yes. And based on a large number of "points" in his article, I also find him to be offensive to me as a gay man. I also find the Log Cabin Republicans to be offensive at times too.

Hope that helps you feel better. What else you got?

Location hidden

#8443 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/a rticles/2011/02/26/gays-who-do nt-want-gay-marriage.html
Dan Dinero, a PhD-candidate from New York City, has a partner who is a non-U.S. citizen. "The main thing for me is finding a way for Diego to live in the U.S. with me," he says. "I don't think we should have to get married to do that. And that is the problem with gay marriage: it forces queers to fit into a very straight-centered way of life in order to access basic rights."
The religious implications of marriage are one of the deterring issues for Meredith Cummings, a graduate student in environmental studies who has been in a domestic partnership for two years. "It really gets to me when gay couples try to have a traditional wedding, especially in a religion that doesn't support homosexuality," she says.
There's the unsettling possibility that we've spent the past couple of decades fighting to fit into an institution that doesn't necessarily fit us.
But there's a subtler, even more insidious anxiety lurking beneath the surface of our gay-marriage win. It's the unsettling possibility that we've spent the past couple of decades fighting to fit into an institution that doesn't necessarily fit us. I wouldn't be surprised to see someone wince if I referred to my partner as my wife. And I might wince a bit myself. We've been so focused on getting marriage "equality" that we've hardly stopped to think about how we'd feel about actually being married.
I don't bring up these concerns very often. Questioning the idea of gay marriage makes people think your goal is to subvert the whole gay-rights agenda—we need numbers, to be unified on this matter as our top concern. For gays to talk about not wanting to get married is taboo. By expressing my doubts, I am clearly a dissenter in this persistent force for progress. But getting married, gay or otherwise, doesn't seem like progress to me.
You left out this part...."Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to those who stand up for equality, whether on a senate floor, in a court house, or on a school playground, and I hope that all couples, regardless of gender, have the option to marry if they truly wish."

That hardly sounds like "opposition".

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8444 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seeing things that aren't there again?
<quoted text>
Oh, well in that case. Did you know that within religious denominiations, fundamentalist christians have the highest divorce rate and thus contribute in a larger percentage to the denegration of the institution? Just food for thought.
<quoted text>
No. Nor will I be accepting seperate drinking fountains or bathroom facilities. An institution already exists, there is no need for a seperate one. This isn't about accepting, it's about entitlement.
But you have self segregated the wife from your version of the institution. That's odd.

Do you really think, judging by my name, that your implication that I'm a fundamentalist christian, is accurate? BTW, Catholics and Lutherans, have lower divorce rates than that.

Location hidden

#8445 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://m.voices.yahoo.com/gays -against-gay-marriage-11112030 .html
Gays Against Gay Marriage
Published: Fri March 16th, 2012 By: Andon Fox Category: Opinion and Editorial COMMENTARY | Washington State legalized same-sex marriage in February while Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey vetoed a similar measure. On March 1, Maryland's governor signed a bill legalizing same-sex marriage. Vermont-based Ben & Jerry's just launched a new flavor to promote gay marriage in the UK.
With all the hype surrounding the issue of same-sex marriage, it's important to note that there is no consensus in the LGBT community on the issue. Not all gay men and women support gay marriage, just as not all women support contraception and abortion rights and not all minorities support affirmative action. Tammy Bruce, the openly gay nationally-syndicated radio talk show host put it this way: "Despite what you hear from the Gay Elite, there is not a consensus in the gay community about gay marriage. We do not all operate in the cultural or political equivalent of a Vulcan mind-meld."
You'd be hard pressed to find an African-American against equal civil rights for blacks, but finding a gay man or woman against gay marriage is not uncommon. Many homosexuals that aren't publicly "out" or are more conservative in their perspective oppose gay marriage. While these individuals may not be the most vocal; they argue that their viewpoints are equally valid.
Al Rantel, the openly gay radio talk show host and media pundit formerly with KABC Los Angeles, blasted "political correctness run amok" from the "cultural liberals in America [that] want to force others to accept their social view." He contends that individuals against the gay "social agenda" are labeled "bigots" and "homophobes" and are "scorned and forced into silence," while those participating in gay pride parades are hypocritical because the same individuals flouting their sexual preference also demand to be "left alone."
The reasons for gay objections to same-sex marriage are varied. Some are moral, some political, some religious. Some gay individuals believe that marriage should not be state-sanctioned at all; that it should be a purely civil matter. Others believe that if the government subsidizes marriage with financial benefits, it should subsidize marriages that promote the traditional nuclear family with a mother and father. Still others take a more stereotypical view, and claim that homosexual relationships are more about sex and lust than love.
Yawn. Well, thank you for demonstrating the hoards of gay people that are willing to settle for a lesser institution. Or those that believe that religion has some type of hold on the word.

Shall I now start cutting and pasting from straight people who oppose the institution of marriage for all? I would consider them promoting personal prejudices too.

Or would you like me to go througgh each of the articles and point out where the prejudices are? What exactly would you like me to do with your google searches? Just let me know.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8446 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you found ONE. Good for you. Now, I believe the question was, do I believe that he is promoting personal prejudices. The answer would be yes. And based on a large number of "points" in his article, I also find him to be offensive to me as a gay man. I also find the Log Cabin Republicans to be offensive at times too.
Apoarently only those who agree with you, gay or straight, are not offensive. Is he going to stripped of his rainbow flag? Will the Rainbow Mafia pay him a visit?

Location hidden

#8447 Jun 13, 2012
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have to look up the word "Logical Falicy" and I will give you an example of one to prove it:
LOGICAL FALICY EXAMPLE:
"Since a man having sex with a woman is normal, a man having sex with another man is also normal."
Thank you for demonstrating that you don't understand what a logical falicy is. It isn't a surprise.

Linking two completely unrelated statements together and pretending that a cause/effect exists is rather silly.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a perfect example of a LOGICAL FALICY for your silly ass!
No, it wasn't an example of logical falicy at all. But your pride in exhibiting you lack of intelligence is rather funny.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Meanwhile, any marriage that is NOT consummation is NOT a real marriage to anyone with an ounce common sense.
Well, fortunately for real married people, "anyone with an ounce of common sense" doesn't determine which marriages are real....the state does. And the state has no interest in consummation, nor do they require it. Must suck to be so wrong all the time, huh Marvin?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#8448 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda describes you.

Al Rantel, the openly gay radio talk show host and media pundit formerly with KABC Los Angeles, blasted "political correctness run amok" from the "cultural liberals in America [that] want to force others to accept their social view." He contends that individuals against the gay "social agenda" are labeled "bigots" and "homophobes" and are "scorned and forced into silence," while those participating in gay pride parades are hypocritical because the same individuals flouting their sexual preference also demand to be "left alone.

Location hidden

#8449 Jun 13, 2012
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if we can change who can get married, then we CAN also change what is needed to prove marriage. So, my dogs are now married because I SAY SO. SAME SAME!
Who has changed who can get married. Men and Women are the only one's getting married, whether only straight people or if it includes gay people. Your ridiculous rhetoric may fly with the sheeple crowd, but it ain't flying here.

If you wish to proclaim your dogs are married, knock yourself out. Let us know when the state recognizes it.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
But two guys screwing each other in their filthy bong hole isn't, RIGHT?
Is it your habit to discuss other people's sex, or just the sex you think gay men are having? You might consider talking to a professional about your unnatural thought processes. Normal people don't think about the sex other people have.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
That's just a nature, normal, behavior that any logical thinking person would aspire to have their children experience to the fullest, RIGHT?

Um, it is very natural and normal behavior. And it's a behavior that is performed by much, much more straight people then gay people. As long as the participants are consenting, it is completely normal and natural. It's also none of your concern.

As for what sex my children experience, I don't have a desire to know, outside of the fact that they are safe and they enter into it with clarity. Only a creepy sicko would spend any time at all wondering what sex acts his children have.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Bwahahahahahahahaha! Don't make me laugh, SUCKA!
I wouldn't begin to try. I have no desire to find out what a person that spends time creepily thinking about other people's sex, would find funny.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't want to smell your sanky ass after some hairy bald-headed guy has been banging your sweaty crack all night.
Like I said, creepy. Do you find yourself thinking about smelling asses often?
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor do I care to hear about it,
Um, in case you haven't noticed, the only one discussing sex is, well, YOU.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
or for you to try to legitimize such insanity in the culture inwhich my future generations will reside.
Um, it's already legitimized. And your obsession with what sex your future generations have is, well, creepy.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to see you hurt or injuried for what you are, but no matter what laws are or are not passed, you will never be anything but a confused freak to me.
Ditto.

Location hidden

#8450 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Are a "tofurkey" and a turkey the same thing?
No, they aren't. Red and green isn't the same thing either. Neither is a telephone and a pencil.

Location hidden

#8451 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
But you have self segregated the wife from your version of the institution. That's odd.
My version of the institution doesn't include one, so no segregation was required.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you really think, judging by my name, that your implication that I'm a fundamentalist christian, is accurate?
If the shoe fits. Would you like to play the game where you pretend that your prejudices of gay people aren't borne from religion? I love it when you folks do that!!
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, Catholics and Lutherans, have lower divorce rates than that.
Yes I know. And atheists have among the lowest.

“Open your eyes, people”

Location hidden

#8452 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for demonstrating that you don't understand what a logical falicy is. It isn't a surprise.

Linking two completely unrelated statements together and pretending that a cause/effect exists is rather silly. No, it wasn't an example of logical falicy at all.
Since we can change the meaning of marriage, we can change the meaning of "logical falicy", RIGHT? So, I still say mind's was the perfect example.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
But your pride in exhibiting you lack of intelligence is rather funny.
Just because I know the difference between men and women doesn't mean I lack intelligence. The real lack of intelligence is demonstrated by you apparently not knowing there is a difference.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, fortunately for real married people, "anyone with an ounce of common sense" doesn't determine which marriages are real....the state does.
The State ALSO says abortion isn't murder, just like the Nazis said the same about killing Jews. Of course, history clearly showed that killing innocent Jews was murder - and so is killing innocent babies.

The point is, just because state uses its propaganda arm (media) to convince dummies (like you) that black is white and white is black doesn't mean that they are.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And the state has no interest in consummation, nor do they require it.
What the state is interested in if propaganda, and the fact that we are even having this dialog is proof of that fact.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Must suck to be so wrong all the time, huh Marvin?
I'll have to let you know if it ever happens.

:)

Location hidden

#8453 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Apoarently only those who agree with you, gay or straight, are not offensive.
Let me rephrase that in a way that is more accurate. If I need you to attempt to speak for me in the future, I'll let you know before hand.

I find anyone that promotes a value system that includes inequality, for anyone, to be offensive.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Is he going to stripped of his rainbow flag? Will the Rainbow Mafia pay him a visit?
No dear, you see, I have no desire to see rights and privileges stripped away from people simply because they have an opposing view. I leave that to you and yours.

Location hidden

#8454 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Kinda describes you.
Al Rantel, the openly gay radio talk show host and media pundit formerly with KABC Los Angeles, blasted "political correctness run amok" from the "cultural liberals in America [that] want to force others to accept their social view." He contends that individuals against the gay "social agenda" are labeled "bigots" and "homophobes" and are "scorned and forced into silence," while those participating in gay pride parades are hypocritical because the same individuals flouting their sexual preference also demand to be "left alone.
If you say so. I don't see equality as a 'social agenda' like conservitive self loathing gay man Al Ranel does. I also don't believe that homophobes (which is a real term describing real people and thus doesn't need apostrophies) are forced to be silent any more that the KKK is forced to be silent. These Topix boards are proof that this imagined silense doesn't exist. What does exist is that the bigotry being promoted by these people isn't be accepted like it used to. And that just pisses you people off.

"Scorned into silence"!! LOL!!! What a hoot. Go sell your persecution somewhere else!

“Cake, cake, cake”

Since: Jul 07

Let them eat cake

#8455 Jun 13, 2012
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...seem to have struck a nerve there. Just offering food for thought. The conversation doesn't always have to be point and counter point.
So would you accept a alternative form of legal recognition that grants all of the benefits to heterosexuals, to homosexuals? Or opposite sex couples to same sex couples?
There was a time when I would have supported another form (civil unions, for instance) assuming that they had literally all of the same federal benefits. However, I've evolved on that to the point where nothing short of marriage equality is acceptable.

When you tell someone you're married, they understand what the means.
When you tell emergency room personnel that you're married, they understand what that means.
When you're applying for a license, or buying a car, or buying a house, people understand the rights that accompany being married.

There have ALREADY been civilly united partners who were denied hospital rights (and decisions) because personnel didn't understand that civil unions, in that particular state, carry the same rights as marriage.

So, the long answer to your question is NO, I do not support another form of commitment that carries the same benefits.

I would understand if heterosexuals were somehow losing something when gays can marry. But you aren't; our ability to marry changes nothing for you. You can still have one man/one woman, or one penis/one vagina, so long as you consummate the marriage in a public location where the village can watch. ;-) Okay, maybe I'm pulling your leg.

“Open your eyes, people”

Location hidden

#8456 Jun 13, 2012
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who has changed who can get married. Men and Women are the only one's getting married, whether only straight people or if it includes gay people. Your ridiculous rhetoric may fly with the sheeple crowd, but it ain't flying here.
Men and women traditionally marry each other. That is what married means, and doesn't need to be tampered with by a bunch of freaks.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you wish to proclaim your dogs are married, knock yourself out. Let us know when the state recognizes it.
If you are married, then my dogs are married - no matter what the state says.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it your habit to discuss other people's sex, or just the sex you think gay men are having? You might consider talking to a professional about your unnatural thought processes. Normal people don't think about the sex other people have.
By call yourself a homoSEXUAL, you are telling me that you have sex with other men. I'm just acknowledging what you are saying about yourself.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, it is very natural and normal behavior. And it's a behavior that is performed by much, much more straight people then gay people. As long as the participants are consenting, it is completely normal and natural. It's also none of your concern.
Everything political in the country is EVERYBODY'S concern. And there is NOTHING natural about a man putting his penis in another man - PERIOD.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
As for what sex my children experience, I don't have a desire to know, outside of the fact that they are safe and they enter into it with clarity. Only a creepy sicko would spend any time at all wondering what sex acts his children have.
'Only a "creepy sicko" would want his children to grow up to be normal.' WHAT DON'T YOU JUST SAY IT LIKE THAT.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't begin to try. I have no desire to find out what a person that spends time creepily thinking about other people's sex, would find funny.
My I suggest you examine a so-called PRIDE PARADE, and you too will know the filthy and disgusting things homosexual men do.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said, creepy. Do you find yourself thinking about smelling asses often?
When I am on public transportation and some feminine looking man is smelling like ass, I have a pretty good idea what he has been doing.
Jonah1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, in case you haven't noticed, the only one discussing sex is, well, YOU.
<quoted text>
Um, it's already legitimized. And your obsession with what sex your future generations have is, well, creepy.
<quoted text>
Ditto.
Meanwhile, as a insight person recently said, "Stop calling sexual deviants “gays”. There is nothing gay about bowel movement sex, males wearing diapers by the time they’re 40 (if they live that long) or dying of AIDS... Men who engage in sodomy (sex in each other’s rectums and feces) are sodomites."

Location hidden

#8457 Jun 13, 2012
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Since we can change the meaning of marriage, we can change the meaning of "logical falicy", RIGHT? So, I still say mind's was the perfect example.
Um, who has changed the meaning of marriage? We gays sure haven't. Marriage is described as a "union", an "institution" and a "ceremony". It's still described the same way when gays enter into one. Your "redefinition" is a myth.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because I know the difference between men and women doesn't mean I lack intelligence.
Are you under the impression that someone in this thread didn't know the difference between men and woman?
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
The real lack of intelligence is demonstrated by you apparently not knowing there is a difference.
I'm well aware of the difference. What on earth gave you an impression otherwise?
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
The State ALSO says abortion isn't murder,
Yes, it does.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
just like the Nazis said the same about killing Jews.
The Nazis were led by a maniac. No one cares what the Nazi's said. What do the Nazis have to do with the state? Oh, that's right.....NOTHING.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, history clearly showed that killing innocent Jews was murder - and so is killing innocent babies.
Um, history didn't show that, morality did. It's not like it was NOT killing until enough time (history) had passed. History plays no role in showing that killing Jews was murder.

Fetuses aren't babies. If they were, the christians would be holding funerals for miscarriages. And this forum has nothing to do with abortion.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is, just because state uses its propaganda arm (media) to convince dummies (like you) that black is white and white is black doesn't mean that they are.
Yawn. You don't like gays. We get it. But the state isn't going to apply a RELIGIOUS value system of right and wrong to homosexuals. The state doesn't endorse a religious perspective. And on its own, homosexuality has no value of right or wrong, so the state has interested in representing us differently. Homosexuality just IS. Just like gravity just IS. It has no value. That isn't propaganda, that's FACT. And its a fact you fundies hate because you don't want us mentioned without making sure that your religious dogma is attached to us. Sorry hon, but the state won't be promoting YOUR agenda any more.
Marvin in Denver wrote:
<quoted text>
What the state is interested in if propaganda, and the fact that we are even having this dialog is proof of that fact.
No, the only thing his dialogue proves is that religious fanatics want a religious value system to be promoted by the state, when the state has no obligation to do so, and since you don't like that, you call it propaganda.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Respect7l 34,354
News North Carolina's rush to bigotry 11 min Time again 2,110
News Young, gay and male: Suicide survey spotlights ... 28 min Mr Cumberbatch 28
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 55 min June VanDerMark 9,818
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr toabhah 35,862
News Mike Huckabee links same-sex marriage to straig... (Feb '11) 2 hr PauldenZangpo0521 38
News 'Atheists, homosexuals and transgender individu... 2 hr PauldenZangpo0521 14
More from around the web