Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

May 9, 2012 Full story: politix.topix.com 26,180

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Full Story
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26821 Feb 1, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
its clear how many DIFFERENT names Mona is currently using...
based on the icons, I'd guess 6...
...send your proof to the topic administrator. Oh wait... you don't have any proof.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#26822 Feb 1, 2013
Your devotion to justin bieber is duly noted.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Suffer? Nah. I only suffer when listening to Janis Ian!
YUK!YUK!YUK! Janis Ian. Wow that's gay! You are the real deal!
Have fun! Enjoy! Just don't get so mad.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26823 Feb 1, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Your devotion to justin bieber is duly noted.
<quoted text>
He's getting some street cred! Got some tats! And a HOT little g.f.! Hubba Hubba!

Actually I just made fun of Janis Ian because you like her. She's alright. Heard her interview with Howard Stern a while ago. And of course I remember her back when we heard "at 17" or whatever that song is at least 10 times a day on AM radio!

Awright then jackass. Carry on.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26824 Feb 1, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>...send your proof to the topic administrator. Oh wait... you don't have any proof.
Aw shuddup!
Pietro Armando

Bloomfield, CT

#26825 Feb 1, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Jealous of what? A self-impressed redneck and his doormats?
<quoted text>
Bitter...bitter....bit ter....ever since they turned down your pitch for a new reality show, Queer Eye for the Polygamy Guy. Ya still haven't gotten over it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26826 Feb 1, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's talking about taxes? ONLY YOU, red herring bitch
I'm talking being forced to hold a wedding. No one was forced to hold a wedding.
Janey Doody's real mad at straight shooter! What, was it something he said?

YUK!YUK!YUK!
Pietro Armando

Schenectady, NY

#26827 Feb 1, 2013
WASHINGTON The benefits of intact biological families were emphasized on a "Building a Marriage Culture" panel at the National Review Institute's 2013 Summit, "The Future of Conservatism." One of the panelists, Doug Mainwaring, spoke of his personal experience as a gay man who came to realize that his own children need both a mother and a father.
"For a long time I thought, if I could just find the right partner, we could raise my kids together, but it became increasingly apparent to me, even if I found somebody else exactly like me, who loved my kids as much as I do, there would still be a gaping hole in their lives because they need a mom," Mainwaring, co-founder of National Capital Tea Party Patriots, said.
Mainwaring is now living with his ex-wife so they can co-parent their two teenaged sons.
"I don't want to see children being engineered for same-sex couples where there is either a mom missing or a dad missing," Mainwaring explained. "Somebody needs to stand up for the rights and needs of children in an age when the selfishness of adults seems to be trumping those rights."
Mainwaring receives many surprised reactions when he explains that he is both gay and a conservative. Someone asked him once, "You're gay, how can you be a conservative?"
The audience laughed and clapped as he recalled his reply: "You're an adult, you have children, how can you be a liberal?"
Like us on Facebook
Maggie Gallagher, senior fellow at the American Principles Project, co-founder of the National Organization for Marriage, and the author of four books on marriage, also described how personal experience led her to her views on marriage.
Gallagher was a senior at Yale with a 3-year-old son when her son's father left her. She was the "most advantaged unwed mother," Gallagher explained, due to her Ivy League education and supportive parents. But she "discovered that it's really hard to be an unwed mother, and worse, it's a lot harder on your kids."
"Every society needs a next generation," Gallagher said. "What marriage does is it unites things that in themselves tend to fragment. It unites sex, love, money, time, home,[and] mother and father."
The other two panelists, Professors W. Bradford Wilcox, director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia, and Mark Regnerus, sociologist at the University of Texas at Austin, described what academic research has found with regard to the relationship between marriage and children.
The good news, Wilcox said, is that marriage is on the rise among the well-educated and affluent. The bad news though is that among the working class and those with a high school education, co-habitation, splitting up and divorce is on the rise. This breakdown of marriage has detrimental effects on children in those families.
Regnerus was the principal investigator for a study of marriage that had one of the two largest random samples of any study on the topic. He found that children raised in intact biological households performed much better among 40 different measures, including crime rates, poverty rates, high school dropout rates, college attendance, and college completion. Regnerus also found that children of gay parents did notably worse on these measures than the children raised in intact, biological homes.
Several of the speakers emphasized the high cost to society when marriages fail.
"I think you can have social stability without many intact families," Regnerus said, "but it's going to be really expensive and it's going to look very 'Huxley-Brave New World-ish.' So it's not only the optimal scenario ... but it's the cheapest. How often in life do you get the best and the cheapest in the same package?"
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26828 Feb 1, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>That's where you will find the book..... geez.
Where?
Straight Sh00ter

Topeka, KS

#26829 Feb 1, 2013
Does anybody know any sea stories about the bvtt pirate Jade sailing the Seven Seas in search of booty to plunder? They say he commands from the poopdeck and is known for "harpooning" sperm whale.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26830 Feb 1, 2013
Straight Sh00ter wrote:
Does anybody know any sea stories about the bvtt pirate Jade sailing the Seven Seas in search of booty to plunder? They say he commands from the poopdeck and is known for "harpooning" sperm whale.
Aye! I've heard a few salty ones! By ye bard Sol Melville, Herman's briny brother! Oy! Let me try me own hand at a tale! Apologies to Melville, Herman and Sol and every other author and hacks too!

One night at sea ye trusty cabin boy SniffButts Billy and Cap'n NE Jade were celebrating Billy's 67th birthday with grog and debauchery! The ship was rolling with the swells! There came a heavy blow! Soon the poopdecks were awash in briny spume!

Cap'n North East Jade kept one hand on the wheel and the other firmly grasped Billy's Willy!

Soon another ship was seen on the horizon flying the skull and crossbones! Cap'n NE Jade readied the cannon for a stern shot and then lined it up!

Aye! Arrgghh! Oy vey!

Stay tuned!

Indianapolis

#26831 Feb 1, 2013
It's cute, but actual research says he's wrong. Not to mention that he didn't actually say what his kids were missing. Sounds more like some kind of guilt or insecurity in play.
Pietro Armando wrote:
WASHINGTON The benefits of intact biological families were emphasized on a "Building a Marriage Culture" panel at the National Review Institute's 2013 Summit, "The Future of Conservatism." One of the panelists, Doug Mainwaring, spoke of his personal experience as a gay man who came to realize that his own children need both a mother and a father.
"For a long time I thought, if I could just find the right partner, we could raise my kids together, but it became increasingly apparent to me, even if I found somebody else exactly like me, who loved my kids as much as I do, there would still be a gaping hole in their lives because they need a mom," Mainwaring, co-founder of National Capital Tea Party Patriots, said.
Mainwaring is now living with his ex-wife so they can co-parent their two teenaged sons.
"I don't want to see children being engineered for same-sex couples where there is either a mom missing or a dad missing," Mainwaring explained. "Somebody needs to stand up for the rights and needs of children in an age when the selfishness of adults seems to be trumping those rights."
Mainwaring receives many surprised reactions when he explains that he is both gay and a conservative. Someone asked him once, "You're gay, how can you be a conservative?"
The audience laughed and clapped as he recalled his reply: "You're an adult, you have children, how can you be a liberal?"
Like us on Facebook
Maggie Gallagher, senior fellow at the American Principles Project, co-founder of the National Organization for Marriage, and the author of four books on marriage, also described how personal experience led her to her views on marriage.
Gallagher was a senior at Yale with a 3-year-old son when her son's father left her. She was the "most advantaged unwed mother," Gallagher explained, due to her Ivy League education and supportive parents. But she "discovered that it's really hard to be an unwed mother, and worse, it's a lot harder on your kids."
"Every society needs a next generation," Gallagher said. "What marriage does is it unites things that in themselves tend to fragment. It unites sex, love, money, time, home,[and] mother and father."
The other two panelists, Professors W. Bradford Wilcox, director of the National Marriage Project at the University of Virginia, and Mark Regnerus, sociologist at the University of Texas at Austin, described what academic research has found with regard to the relationship between marriage and children.
The good news, Wilcox said, is that marriage is on the rise among the well-educated and affluent. The bad news though is that among the working class and those with a high school education, co-habitation, splitting up and divorce is on the rise. This breakdown of marriage has detrimental effects on children in those families.
Regnerus was the principal investigator for a study of marriage that had one of the two largest random samples of any study on the topic. He found that children raised in intact biological households performed much better among 40 different measures, including crime rates, poverty rates, high school dropout rates, college attendance, and college completion. Regnerus also found that children of gay parents did notably worse on these measures than the children raised in intact, biological homes.
Several of the speakers emphasized the high cost to society when marriages fail.
"I think you can have social stability without many intact families," Regnerus said, "but it's going to be really expensive and it's going to look very 'Huxley-Brave New World-ish.' So it's not only the optimal scenario ... but it's the cheapest. How often in life do you get the best and the cheapest in the same package?"

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#26832 Feb 2, 2013

Did ya note this part

One of the panelists, Doug Mainwaring, spoke of his personal experience as a gay man who came to realize that his own children need both a mother and a father.

cpeter1313 wrote:
It's cute, but actual research says he's wrong. Not to mention that he didn't actually say what his kids were missing. Sounds more like some kind of guilt or insecurity in play.
<quoted text>
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26834 Feb 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw c'mon! Who's the old auntie in the picture?

Indianapolis

#26835 Feb 2, 2013
Yes, I did. And it doesn't say what particular "hole" existed, or what specific traits a woman intrinsically owns that a man cannot have.

Meanwhile, study after study shows that kids raised in two-parent gay homes ar just as well-adjusted as theirstraight-raised peers.
Pietro Armando wrote:
Did ya note this part
One of the panelists, Doug Mainwaring, spoke of his personal experience as a gay man who came to realize that his own children need both a mother and a father.
<quoted text>
Pietro Armando

Boston, MA

#26836 Feb 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Meanwhile, study after study shows that kids raised in two-parent gay homes ar just as well-adjusted as theirstraight-raised peers.
<quoted text>
All those studies are limited, the numbers are just too small to get an accurate picture. How can one accurately compare children being raised since birth by their own bio married mom and dad in stable homes to those raised by SSCs? I would think you would have to have sufficient numbers of children being raised since birth by SSCs, to do an assessment. Even then one of the SSC is not the bio parent . How is the role of bio parent factored in? Are these children created with ART w/no opposite sex bio parent involvement? The numbers are just two small.

Indianapolis

#26837 Feb 2, 2013
The studies aren't done to prove a theory but to assess the data. The children are assessed on a variety of subject matters. The studies don't "factor in" things that aren't factors to begin with. At the end of the day, kids with gay parents are just as well off and well-adjusted as other kids.

Bio parents aren't essential; parents are. Or should we just euthanize orphans because they can't have a bio parent in the picture?
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
All those studies are limited, the numbers are just too small to get an accurate picture. How can one accurately compare children being raised since birth by their own bio married mom and dad in stable homes to those raised by SSCs? I would think you would have to have sufficient numbers of children being raised since birth by SSCs, to do an assessment. Even then one of the SSC is not the bio parent . How is the role of bio parent factored in? Are these children created with ART w/no opposite sex bio parent involvement? The numbers are just two small.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26838 Feb 2, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
The studies aren't done to prove a theory but to assess the data. The children are assessed on a variety of subject matters. The studies don't "factor in" things that aren't factors to begin with. At the end of the day, kids with gay parents are just as well off and well-adjusted as other kids.
So gay parents are all that special? No more or less effective than other non bio nuclear family parental structures.

[QUOTE[
Bio parents aren't essential;
[/QUOTE]

Is that what u write on your Father's Day, and Mother's Day cards to your parents?
parents are. Or should we just euthanize orphans because they can't have a bio parent in the picture?
<quoted text>
Or maybe we could take children away from their bio parents for no apparent reason and give them to the nice gay couple down the street. After all if bio parents aren't essential.....
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26839 Feb 2, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
So gay parents are all that special? No more or less effective than other non bio nuclear family parental structures.
<quoted text>
Is that what u write on your Father's Day, and Mother's Day cards to your parents?
<quoted text>
Or maybe we could take children away from their bio parents for no apparent reason and give them to the nice gay couple down the street. After all if bio parents aren't essential.....
Getting a wee bit hysterical, aren't you?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26840 Feb 2, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
No laddie....not a'tall
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26841 Feb 2, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
So Janey-Doody. Now that we have learned from your kindness and patience and excellent teaching skills that polygamy is illegal, why is it illegal and should it stay that way?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 4 min Respect71 8,448
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 5 min Not Yet Equal 496
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 7 min fedupwiththemess 29,087
French court allows gay marriage between French... 7 min Robin Hood 2
Judge Roy Moore Speaks About Alabama Gay Marriage 29 min Robin Hood 25
Bobby Jindal's Love Affair With Hate 30 min mata faka 32
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? (Jul '14) 45 min Dimitri100 3,209
Victim testifies at Boy Scout sex trial about m... 2 hr Zeppelin 72
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 2 hr Poof1 4,887
More from around the web