Obama Announces Full Support for Gay ...

Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

There are 26169 comments on the politix.topix.com story from May 9, 2012, titled Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26729 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Civil marriage is a contract; a contract cannot be based on an illegal or fraudulent premise. Gay couples and their relationships are legal; their inclusion does not change the marital contract in any way. Incestuous and polygmist relationships ARE illegal regardless of marriage; thus, they CANNOTenter into acivil marriage.
<quoted text>
So you are against equality for polygamy because it is presently illegal?

Same sex marriage is presently effectively illegal in most states. You won't go to jail for it, but you cannot legally do it. Should same sex marriage stay illegal in those states because it is presently illegal?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26730 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Once you change the LEGAL basis of civil marriage--primary kinship--you in fact DO redefine marriage. I said nothing, however, of denying anything due to complications; the fact is that there are specific issues that will have to be worked out before the SCOTUS would even consider a case for polygamy, because there are no laws in place to effect it.
<quoted text>
Right.
straight shooter

Montpelier, VT

#26731 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Thanks for the fetal response.
<quoted text>
you get what you give petey...

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#26732 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Once you change the LEGAL basis of civil marriage--primary kinship--you in fact DO redefine marriage. I said nothing, however, of denying anything due to complications; the fact is that there are specific issues that will have to be worked out before the SCOTUS would even consider a case for polygamy, because there are no laws in place to effect it.
<quoted text>
That legal kinship is based on the union of male and female as husband and wife, is it not? Marriage creates legal kinship between a male and a female.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26733 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Civil marriage is a contract; a contract cannot be based on an illegal or fraudulent premise.
That's the puzzling part. What aspect of polygamy is illegal? Is it illegal for a man to father several children out of wedlock? Is illegal for a man to be intimate with several women? Is it illegal for a man to cohabitate with several women? Is the only "illegal" part in that he refers to several women as his wives, and they inturn refer to him as their husband?
Gay couples and their relationships are legal; their inclusion does not change the marital contract in any way.
Yes it does, it changes the very foundation on which legal marriage is based on, the union of one male and one female, as husband and wife.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26734 Jan 30, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe if you did and not your dumb interpretation of what i said I would agree...
remember when you claimed for MONTHS I said the KKK was a protected class?
remember you proving you lied and i NEVER said that?
I do...
remember I called it a slippery slope argument when i said it?
remember when you said no one is forced if they just pay a fine if they do not meaning we all are not forced to pay taxes....
I do...and I appreciate your bringing it up again because of this...
<quoted text>
"bad law"...see how you cannot be honest you fraud?
a criminal is one who violates the law so as usual what you turned my comment into was something utterly stupid and all yours...
<quoted text>
and that is no proof as you spout as to your constant use of icons...
Hours and hours you have insisted and they get you NO WHERE...
in the end, you are too dumb to understand and somehow try to put your deficiency on me...
You haven't told us what's so bad about the law.

it does not take into account society's offense at the notion of a non biological parent taking custody over a biological one...
and so it makes criminals out of otherwise decent people.

Care to retract?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#26735 Jan 30, 2013
SSM is not illegal and CANNOT be illegal; it is merely not recognized. Since yuou can't comprehend the difference, maybe you shouldn't be arguing the law, twit.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Same sex marriage is presently effectively illegal in most states. You won't go to jail for it, but you cannot legally do it. Should same sex marriage stay illegal in those states because it is presently illegal?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#26736 Jan 30, 2013
Bigamy, fucwit. in some states, both bigamy AND polygamy are illegal.
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the puzzling part. What aspect of polygamy is illegal? Is it illegal for a man to father several children out of wedlock? Is illegal for a man to be intimate with several women? Is it illegal for a man to cohabitate with several women? Is the only "illegal" part in that he refers to several women as his wives, and they inturn refer to him as their husband?
<quoted text>
Yes it does, it changes the very foundation on which legal marriage is based on, the union of one male and one female, as husband and wife.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26737 Jan 30, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe if you did and not your dumb interpretation of what i said I would agree...
remember when you claimed for MONTHS I said the KKK was a protected class?
remember you proving you lied and i NEVER said that?
I do...
remember I called it a slippery slope argument when i said it?
remember when you said no one is forced if they just pay a fine if they do not meaning we all are not forced to pay taxes....
I do...and I appreciate your bringing it up again because of this...
No dear. I never said that YOU said the words "the KKK is a protected class." But nice try. When you said the KKK could use the same law to force a gay B&B to hold an anti-gay rally (you know, the law works both ways)... I asked you since when does the KKK have protected class status? Because the fact is, the KKK cannot sue a gay B&B and force them to hold an anti-gay rally, because it is NOT illegal to discriminate against the KKK. They are NOT a protected class. Then you tried a lame dodge by bringing up some case about the State and the KKK and 1st amendment rights to post a "highway cleaned by KKK" sign. Where was your consistency then?
You also said the innkeepers were forced to hold the wedding. I reminded you that no, there was no wedding, and that the Innkeeper paid a fine for REFUSING to hold it. You INSISTED it was the same thing. "They were forced to pay a fine so it's the same thing as being forced to hold a wedding." Another strong clue about your logic skills.
Your shitty memory is also another hot clue. Good thing your posts are still up, eh?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26738 Jan 30, 2013
What aspect of polygamy is illegal?
Is it illegal for a man to father several children out of wedlock?
Is illegal for a man to be intimate with several women?
Is it illegal for a man to cohabitate with several women?
Is the only "illegal" part in that he refers to several women as his wives, and they inturn refer to him as their husband?
cpeter1313 wrote:
Bigamy, fucwit. in some states, both bigamy AND polygamy are illegal.
<quoted text>
Hellllooooooo.....McFly...ya didn't answer the questions. Try again....go on...you can do it....it won't hurt.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26739 Jan 30, 2013
straight shooter wrote:
<quoted text>
as you are able to understand them...
which is not at all...
face it, you are a moron...
You can't even remeber what you write. And when confronted with the actual posts, you start squalling about context.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26740 Jan 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
That legal kinship is based on the union of male and female as husband and wife, is it not? Marriage creates legal kinship between a male and a female.
It also creates kinship between a male&male and a female&female.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26741 Jan 30, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true, Frankie. Any gay couple can go to New York, or Massachusetts and get married. It's not illegal, it's just not recognized by their home State. Polygamists cannot get married in ANY State because it is illegal. DUH! So stop saying it's the same thing. It's not.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#26742 Jan 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Is the only "illegal" part in that he refers to several women as his wives, and they inturn refer to him as their husband?
<quoted text>
Hellllooooooo.....McFly...ya didn't answer the questions. Try again....go on...you can do it....it won't hurt.
If a man attempts to obtain legal recognition of more than one wife at a time, he is guilty of bigamy. It has NOTHING to do with children out of wedlock, or cohabitation, or sex. They can call each other whatever they like husband, wife, loser #2, loser #3.... no one cares. What makes it a crime is if they seek legal recognition.

“Alley Cat Blues”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#26743 Jan 30, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the government wants to limit marriage to two individuals because of the legal issues involving next of kin, benefits, insurance, taxes, etc., otherwise a person could have multiple spouses receiving all of these benefits basically under false pretenses. It's possible that someone could love two people equally, but marriage involves a complete commitment of one person to another, and anything else could give rise to a scam in which someone gets "married" just for the benefits. If the number of spouses one can have is unlimited it becomes a legal nightmare. Under the premises of polygamy and polyandry, we could all conceivably be married to one another and that -- unlike two men or two women being married to one another -- really makes a mockery of marriage.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26744 Jan 30, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true, Frankie. Any gay couple can go to New York, or Massachusetts and get married. It's not illegal, it's just not recognized by their home State. Polygamists cannot get married in ANY State because it is illegal. DUH! So stop saying it's the same thing. It's not.
We know poly is illegal, miss thing. My question to you is why do you agree so wholeheartedly that it should be. It's a simple question you'll do anything to avoid answering.

Stop telling me poly should be illegal because it's illegal. And start telling me why it's illegal.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26745 Jan 30, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>If a man attempts to obtain legal recognition of more than one wife at a time, he is guilty of bigamy. It has NOTHING to do with children out of wedlock, or cohabitation, or sex. They can call each other whatever they like husband, wife, loser #2, loser #3.... no one cares. What makes it a crime is if they seek legal recognition.
There is a difference between polygamy and bigamy. All bigamists are polygamists but NOT ALL POLYGAMISTS ARE BIGAMISTS.

You are against poly because you are ignorant. And a bigot. Which also makes you a hypocrite! Just like those you rail against.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26746 Jan 30, 2013
Jupiter wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the government wants to limit marriage to two individuals because of the legal issues involving next of kin, benefits, insurance, taxes, etc., otherwise a person could have multiple spouses receiving all of these benefits basically under false pretenses. It's possible that someone could love two people equally, but marriage involves a complete commitment of one person to another, and anything else could give rise to a scam in which someone gets "married" just for the benefits. If the number of spouses one can have is unlimited it becomes a legal nightmare. Under the premises of polygamy and polyandry, we could all conceivably be married to one another and that -- unlike two men or two women being married to one another -- really makes a mockery of marriage.
Your worries of everyone married to each other or someone having 50 wives are unfounded, it simply won't happen.

And if it did it would be extremely rare and cause you no harm anyway. Polygamy limits itself. Who loves, wants or can afford 100 husbands? Your argument is no better than the marry your dog one against same sex marriage.

Your claim that polygamy makes a mockery of marriage is as bad as the one about same sex marriage makes a mockery of marriage.

Open your mind Jupey! Share the love!
Obama

Denver, CO

#26747 Jan 30, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
I hope you two will be very happy together.
<quoted text>
Thanks, we're registered at K Mart.
Obama

Denver, CO

#26748 Jan 30, 2013
Ouch, I just sat on a dik

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Atheism, the Bible and sexual orientation 16 min Thinking 23
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 46 min Pietro Armando 8,799
News Kentucky clerk asks Supreme Court to intervene ... 54 min tcaud 54
News Supreme Court extends gay marriage nationwide 55 min Pietro Armando 1,467
News Kentucky clerk defies order, refuses to issue s... 1 hr Ol Kentuckin 549
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... (Mar '15) 1 hr Zorri 7,293
News Same-sex marriage fight turns to clerk who refu... 1 hr EdmondWA 3,293
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 25,941
News 4 GOP candidates sign anti-gay marriage pledge 3 hr NoahLikesPi 377
News Supreme Court rules against clerk in gay marria... 3 hr WasteWater 89
More from around the web