Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

May 9, 2012 Full story: politix.topix.com 26,178

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Full Story

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#26506 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I never read cut and paste spam...I figure if someone has a thought they will write their own words.
As for World Nut Daily - they believe and promote whacked out crap on such a level that anyone who references them as a "source" immediately becomes laughable.
There are Muslim polygamist communities in this country. Dismiss the messenger, but the message is the same.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26507 Jan 27, 2013
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/296493... #

With the legal definition of marriage expanding in various U.S. states, as it has in other nations, should we anticipate rising demands that we recognize polygamous marriages? Debra Majeed, an academic apologist for Islamic polygamy, has tried to downplay such concerns, claiming that “opponents of same-sex unions, rather than proponents of polygyny as practiced by Muslims, are the usual sources of arguments that a door open to one would encourage a more visible practice of the other.” Yet some American Muslims apparently did not get the memo.

Because off-the-cuff remarks can be the most revealing, consider a tweet by Moein Khawaja, executive director of the Philadelphia branch of the radical Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). After New York legalized same-sex marriage last June, Khawaja expressed what many Islamists must have been thinking:“Easy to support gay marriage today bc it’s mainstream. Lets see same people go to bat for polygamy, its the same argument.*crickets*”

The “same argument” theme is fleshed out in an October 2011 piece titled “Polygamy: Tis the Season?” in the Muslim Link, a newspaper serving the Washington and Baltimore areas.“There are murmurs among the polygamist community as the country moves toward the legalization of gay marriage,” it explains.“As citizens of the United States, they argue, they should have the right to legally marry whoever they please, or however many they please.” The story quotes several Muslim advocates of polygamy.“As far as legalization, I think they should,” says Hassan Amin, a Baltimore imam who performs polygamous religious unions.“We should strive to have it legalized because Allah has already legalized it.”

Again and again the article connects the normalization of same-sex marriage and Islamic polygamy.“As states move toward legalizing gay marriage, the criminalization of polygamy is a seemingly striking inconsistency in constitutional law,” it asserts.“Be it gay marriage or polygamous marriage, the rights of the people should not be based on their popularity but rather on the constitutional laws that are meant to protect them.”

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26508 Jan 27, 2013
Would ya "Just Think" about it,'cuz ya might learn something?

So is "National Review" credible enough for you? Or is the Huff n' Puff Post the only "credible" source for you.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#26509 Jan 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
There are Muslim polygamist communities in this country. Dismiss the messenger, but the message is the same.
There are also Mormon polygamist communities in this country - what's your point?

We know, we know...you don't have a point.

Location hidden

#26510 Jan 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
Would ya "Just Think" about it,'cuz ya might learn something?
So is "National Review" credible enough for you? Or is the Huff n' Puff Post the only "credible" source for you.
As previously stated, I don't read cut and paste spam, regardless of the source.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26511 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
There are also Mormon polygamist communities in this country - what's your point?
I think his point is that there are a lot more polygamists in the USA than most same sex marriage supporters believe. Some on this thread have insisted there aren't enough polygamists to deserve equal rights. Therefore we shouldn't allow poly. A truly dumb opinion.

And some idiots have even insisted NO one is interested in legalizing polygamy therefore we should not allow it.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26512 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
As previously stated, I don't read cut and paste spam, regardless of the source.
And anything you don't agree with is spam. Got it!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26513 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, you either unable, or unwilling to acknowledge it. Legal SSM legitimately raises the possibility of legal polygamy. Such a continued course of "expansion" of the meaning of marriage could render it meaningless. So rather than strengthen marriage, the conjugal union of husband and wife as a commonly accepted and understood definition of marriage, SSM weakens it. Perhaps that is the ultimate objective of the movement.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26514 Jan 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I do, you either unable, or unwilling to acknowledge it. Legal SSM legitimately raises the possibility of legal polygamy. Such a continued course of "expansion" of the meaning of marriage could render it meaningless. So rather than strengthen marriage, the conjugal union of husband and wife as a commonly accepted and understood definition of marriage, SSM weakens it. Perhaps that is the ultimate objective of the movement.
When polygamy starts coming to court, I don't think the "there aren't a lot of polygamists" argument against it is going to cut it.

I don't see why these clowns think that's a good argument. I suppose it's because it's the only argument they've got.

Location hidden

#26515 Jan 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's logically assume that because of their religion, all of the Muslim and Mormon polygamists you're discussing here are heterosexual.

It would make more sense that allowing HETEROSEXUAL marriage between two people would open the door to HETEROSEXUAL marriage between multiple partners. This has not happened. At all.

Therefore, it is erroneous to assume that HOMOSEXUAL marriage between two people will lead to HETEROSEXUAL marriage between multiple partners.

Nice try, though.

I'm afraid you'll have to find a different argument to support your homophobia.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26516 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's logically assume that because of their religion, all of the Muslim and Mormon polygamists you're discussing here are heterosexual.
It would make more sense that allowing HETEROSEXUAL marriage between two people would open the door to HETEROSEXUAL marriage between multiple partners. This has not happened. At all.
Therefore, it is erroneous to assume that HOMOSEXUAL marriage between two people will lead to HETEROSEXUAL marriage between multiple partners.
Nice try, though.
The fact that you erroneously believe that advocating legalizing polygamy is homophobia proves his point.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#26517 Jan 27, 2013
"After New York legalized same-sex marriage last June, Khawaja expressed what many Islamists must have been thinking:'Easy to support gay marriage today bc it’s mainstream. Lets see same people go to bat for polygamy, its the same argument.*crickets*'"

1) How the hell does this douchebag think SSM became "mainstream"? It's because we've been working or asses off for over 50 years--going from being treated as mentally-ill pariahs to standing in the halls of power and industry. Our struggle is not yet over. And this lazy bastard just wants everything handed to them.

2) It's not the same argument at all. SSM requires only a change of gender access; every situation otherwise stays the same. Polygamy rrequires not only huge changes in existing marriage laws but must overcome other laws, such as bigamy statutes, as well. If they want to be mainstream, they are going to have to work on their image, which wavers between religious exploitation of women to rural nutjobs. And why is it that I never see stories about several men and one wife?
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://www.nationalreview.com/ articles/296493/polygamy-too-d avid-j-rusin#
With the legal definition of marriage expanding in various U.S. states, as it has in other nations, should we anticipate rising demands that we recognize polygamous marriages? Debra Majeed, an academic apologist for Islamic polygamy, has tried to downplay such concerns, claiming that “opponents of same-sex unions, rather than proponents of polygyny as practiced by Muslims, are the usual sources of arguments that a door open to one would encourage a more visible practice of the other.” Yet some American Muslims apparently did not get the memo.
Because off-the-cuff remarks can be the most revealing, consider a tweet by Moein Khawaja, executive director of the Philadelphia branch of the radical Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR). After New York legalized same-sex marriage last June, Khawaja expressed what many Islamists must have been thinking:“Easy to support gay marriage today bc it’s mainstream. Lets see same people go to bat for polygamy, its the same argument.*crickets*”
The “same argument” theme is fleshed out in an October 2011 piece titled “Polygamy: Tis the Season?” in the Muslim Link, a newspaper serving the Washington and Baltimore areas.“There are murmurs among the polygamist community as the country moves toward the legalization of gay marriage,” it explains.“As citizens of the United States, they argue, they should have the right to legally marry whoever they please, or however many they please.” The story quotes several Muslim advocates of polygamy.“As far as legalization, I think they should,” says Hassan Amin, a Baltimore imam who performs polygamous religious unions.“We should strive to have it legalized because Allah has already legalized it.”
Again and again the article connects the normalization of same-sex marriage and Islamic polygamy.“As states move toward legalizing gay marriage, the criminalization of polygamy is a seemingly striking inconsistency in constitutional law,” it asserts.“Be it gay marriage or polygamous marriage, the rights of the people should not be based on their popularity but rather on the constitutional laws that are meant to protect them.”

Indianapolis

#26518 Jan 27, 2013
If heteros, with their 50% marriage-failure rate, haven't "weakened" marriage, nothing we do could. You keep bringing up tradition and history; well, you've had marriage for millennia and you idiots can't deal with it effectively, so who are you to tell us WE could harm it?
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26519 Jan 27, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
"After New York legalized same-sex marriage last June, Khawaja expressed what many Islamists must have been thinking:'Easy to support gay marriage today bc it’s mainstream. Lets see same people go to bat for polygamy, its the same argument.*crickets*'"
1) How the hell does this douchebag think SSM became "mainstream"? It's because we've been working or asses off for over 50 years--going from being treated as mentally-ill pariahs to standing in the halls of power and industry. Our struggle is not yet over. And this lazy bastard just wants everything handed to them.
2) It's not the same argument at all. SSM requires only a change of gender access; every situation otherwise stays the same. Polygamy rrequires not only huge changes in existing marriage laws but must overcome other laws, such as bigamy statutes, as well. If they want to be mainstream, they are going to have to work on their image, which wavers between religious exploitation of women to rural nutjobs. And why is it that I never see stories about several men and one wife?
<quoted text>
The old "polygamy should not be allowed because it would be too complicated" argument. Heard it. It's bogus.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26520 Jan 27, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
.... If they want to be mainstream, they are going to have to work on their image, which wavers between religious exploitation of women to rural nutjobs. d why is it that I never see stories about several men and one wife?
<quoted text>
".... If they want to be mainstream, they are going to have to work on their image, which wavers between religious exploitation of women to rural nutjobs."

Nice! Same sex marriages contain some unsavory people too I'm sure, what a bigot!

"And why is it that I never see stories about several men and one wife?"

If you did see polyandry, would that be OK with you? Why would that be OK and polygyny not be OK with you? Polygamy includes both. And allowing one without the other would be stupid.

Indianapolis

#26521 Jan 27, 2013
You heard it? I typed it, idiot.

That wasn't my argument. If they want polygamous civil marriage, they are going to have to directly address the issues involved, not just whine like colicky toddlers.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The old "polygamy should not be allowed because it would be too complicated" argument. Heard it. It's bogus.

Indianapolis

#26522 Jan 27, 2013
I'm pointing out that polygamists have huge PR problems; if they want to advnce, they are going to have to deal with it. BTW--the brown family doesn't help; he's a controlling redneck, and the wives are doormats. It actually enforces stereotypes.
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
".... If they want to be mainstream, they are going to have to work on their image, which wavers between religious exploitation of women to rural nutjobs."
Nice! Same sex marriages contain some unsavory people too I'm sure, what a bigot!
"And why is it that I never see stories about several men and one wife?"
If you did see polyandry, would that be OK with you? Why would that be OK and polygyny not be OK with you? Polygamy includes both. And allowing one without the other would be stupid.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26523 Jan 27, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
You heard it? I typed it, idiot.
That wasn't my argument. If they want polygamous civil marriage, they are going to have to directly address the issues involved, not just whine like colicky toddlers.
<quoted text>
"Heard it" means I have heard it before IDIOT, many times. Yet you pipe up with it once again.

You wish to deny a group equal protection because granting it would be too complicated. It's a dumb argument. Try again.

As far as they are not working hard enough for it, I call bullsh!t. Prove it.

If you don't think polygamy should be allowed, give some logical compelling reasons to deny rights, don't just whine like a colicky toddler.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#26524 Jan 27, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
I'm pointing out that polygamists have huge PR problems; if they want to advnce, they are going to have to deal with it. BTW--the brown family doesn't help; he's a controlling redneck, and the wives are doormats. It actually enforces stereotypes.
<quoted text>
You a PR person? Good job opportunity for you. But I doubt you are!

Homosexuals have huge PR problems in the eyes of IGNORANT BIGOTS too. Comes with the territory.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#26525 Jan 27, 2013
Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.....
Exactly.....technically it's OPPOSITE SEX marriage, it hasn't happened yet.
Technically it's same sex marriage. The assumption is based on a simple, yet reasonable argument. If the legal definition, and common cultural, historic, traditional, and/or religious understanding of marriage as a conjugal union of husband wife centered around their monogamous,, sexual, potentially procreative union, is no longer the standard, then other forms of marriage are possible. Legalizing SSM, has open the door to line possible legalization of plural marriage. Just Think about it.
Nice try, though.
Right back at ya Think Meister
I'm afraid YOU'LL have to find another argument to support your polyphobia.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CBS Network's 'Home for the Holidays' Special W... 2 min Obvious 146
Judge resigns so he won't have to marry gay cou... 6 min Poof1 690
US judge strikes down Arkansas' gay marriage ba... 15 min Reverend Alan 26
US judge upholds state same-sex marriage ban, r... 29 min Reverend Alan 1,214
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 42 min Rick in Kansas 3,537
Same-sex marriage is just the beginning 58 min Drilling for the ... 7
Is Vladimir Putin Another Adolf Hitler? 1 hr Lukashenko is Dr ... 2,751
Homosexuality 'promotes bonding' 1 hr Wondering 53
Gay brains similar to opposite-sex straight brains 5 hr Belle Sexton 29
Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? 9 hr Frankie Rizzo 3,968