Obama Announces Full Support for Gay ...

Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

There are 26163 comments on the politix.topix.com story from May 9, 2012, titled Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage. In it, politix.topix.com reports that:

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at politix.topix.com.

Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26313 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have already corrected you but I will repeat myself. Not that it will do any good... your reading comprehensions skills are so piss-poor.
Why would ANY President advocate for citizens to participate in illegal activity? To do so would be STUPID. Obama is not stupid. He knows the GOP would move to impeach him immediately.
Advocating the legalization of polygamy is not an illegal activity.

Miss Thing.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#26314 Jan 24, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
Marriage has primarily been about property--acquiring it, keeping it, inheriting it, and marrying it. Wives have been the possession of their husbands for millennia; men and women being equal is a VERY modern idea, only the last century or so.
In this culture, at this time, marriage is about two people committing to each other with the protections and responsibilities outlined by the state. Neither gender nor fertility are necessry to that concept.
<quoted text>
Marriage is first and foremost about 'matrimony'. The property aspect follows.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26315 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think robbery deserves the same respect as public service?
Your response implies that polygamy is like robbery, and therefore bad.

But please be clear. Do you think poly deserves the same respect as same sex marriage?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

#26316 Jan 24, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
The state's interest in marriage is what specifically?
The emotional happiness of the couple? Removing the stigma of living in sin?
What is the fundamental state interest in marriage, and how does the couple, ss or opposite sex, correspond to that interest?
Why not allow siblings to marry? Or at least same sex siblings? No need to peek in their bedroom either.
<quoted text>
go back and re-read the post you quoted. there's some references within it to some of the reasons what the laws deal with - that frame the state interest. additionally, there's those 1300+ priviliges extended to legally married couples that single people don't have access to.

as to the last 2 questions you pose - i have no answer as i have no interest to answer nor research.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26317 Jan 24, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Bananas cannot enter into contracts silly!
Se how dopey you are.
Do you think polygamy deserves the same respect as same sex marriage?
Polygamists cannot enter into a marriage contract, silly. See how dopey you are?
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26318 Jan 24, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response implies that polygamy is like robbery, and therefore bad.
My response implies that polygamy is ILLEGAL, like robbery.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26319 Jan 24, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Advocating the legalization of polygamy is not an illegal activity.
Miss Thing.
Oh.... moving the goalposts, eh?

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

#26320 Jan 24, 2013
Well, it has a certain appeal...
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think banana marriage deserves the same respect as same sex marriage?
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26321 Jan 24, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
lol
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26322 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Polygamists cannot enter into a marriage contract, silly. See how dopey you are?
We know that silly. But do you think they should be able to?
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26323 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>My response implies that polygamy is ILLEGAL, like robbery.
We know that silly. But do you think it should be made legal? Why not?

P.S. The answer is not "because it's illegal."
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26324 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Oh.... moving the goalposts, eh?
No I'm not.

I asked do you think Obama should announce full support for polygamy?

The goalposts haven't been moved and you still have evaded answering.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#26325 Jan 24, 2013
cpeter1313 wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice...slipped that one in.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26326 Jan 24, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice...slipped that one in.
Oy!

Careful, Big D will scold us for being off topic. We're supposed to be discussing religion.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#26327 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26328 Jan 24, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not.
I asked do you think Obama should announce full support for polygamy?
The goalposts haven't been moved and you still have evaded answering.
Oh yes you did. you changed it from "support" to "support legalization."
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#26329 Jan 24, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
http://www.polygamyday.com/
August 19th
Great link, great organization.

So much for Jane Dodos insistence that there is no support for legalizing poly. But he's a bigot and a dummy and we knew that.
Jane Dodo

West New York, NJ

#26330 Jan 24, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Great link, great organization.
So much for Jane Dodos insistence that there is no support for legalizing poly. But he's a bigot and a dummy and we knew that.
Oh yeah..... BIG support..... polygamy is SO close to being a reality. So close that ZERO States allow it. So close that there's an enormous national movement to get all the bigamy laws overturned. SCOTUS is reviewing how many cases for polygamy?
Pietro Armando

North Billerica, MA

#26331 Jan 24, 2013
http://www.cas.umt.edu/phil/faculty/walton/ba...
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text> So the infertile are oriented to the procreative aspects of marriage, eh? Mkay.... Do you even read ndwhat you write?
Doo Doo

The infertile, nor the elderly, change the fact that sex, aka coital intercourse, makes babies. Even you can follow that. Does anyone look upon an elderly couple marrying and think, "well it can't be about procreation because grandma and grandpa are getting married?".

Or to put it another way, marriage in American history has been exclusively, prior to 2004, at least legally defined as a union of man/husband and wife.The laws of the land, including case law, reflected this. SSM is a recent Western invention, legal in just a few states. Because an infertile, or elderly opposite sex couple is allowed to marry that somehow wipes out the link between marriage and procreation?

The equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment, like the due process clause, is not offended by the state's classification of persons authorized to marry. There is no irrational or invidious discrimination. Petitioners note that the state does not impose upon heterosexual married couples a condition that they have a proved capacity or declared willingness to procreate, posing a rhetorical demand that this court must read such condition into the statute if same-sex marriages are to be prohibited. Even assuming that such a condition would be neither unrealistic nor offensive under the Griswold rationale, the classification is no more than theoretically imperfect. We are reminded, however, that "abstract symmetry" is not demanded by the Fourteenth Amendment./4/
Pietro Armando

North Billerica, MA

#26332 Jan 24, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
<quoted text>Oh yeah..... BIG support..... polygamy is SO close to being a reality. So close that ZERO States allow it. So close that there's an enormous national movement to get all the bigamy laws overturned. SCOTUS is reviewing how many cases for polygamy?
Doo Doo

The fact there is not only "National Polygamy Day", a fictional HBO centered around a polygamous family, and a reality show called "Sister Wives", indicates that polygamists are coming out of the closet and support is, albeit at a slower pace, growing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two men caned 83 times at Indonesian mosque for... 31 min BB Board 7
News Middle School Gay-Straight Alliance Allowed To ... 1 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 11
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 2 hr DebraE 49,180
News AIDS Walk New York and Gay Men's Health Crisis:... 2 hr The Troll Stopper 20
News Taiwan to make landmark gay marriage ruling 3 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr RiccardoFire 5,947
News Tampa Teacher @LoraJane Hates Christians, Promo... 4 hr Eagle 12 406
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 9 hr Hanzel 69,525
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 10 hr jredrvhu 25,595
More from around the web