Obama Announces Full Support for Gay Marriage

May 9, 2012 | Posted by: Top Mod2 | Full story: politix.topix.com

It's a historic day for gay rights activists: Obama has just announced his support for gay marriage.

Comments
21,641 - 21,660 of 26,178 Comments Last updated Oct 27, 2013

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The bizarre marriage of Religion and State that goes on in Germany; where if they play their legal corporate statuses right, they get the state to fleece their respective flocks for them? Or the Catholic Church hierarchy self-immolating, by screaming like money grubbing wh*res demanding payment for their tricks from those faithful who aren't as faithful with their required taxes?
I noticed no mention was made of how much the other two faiths, Protestantism, and Judaism, receive, and how that plays out among their hierarchy.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Salina's (the community where I am posting from) city commission, recently added sexual orientation and gender identity to the city's human rights ordinance, joining race, ethnicity, sex, religion, disability, veteran's status and familial status. This of course did not please certain elements in our community, who have now forced a yes or no vote on its repeal. Hence, "Vote No, don't legalize discrimination" on the yard signs.
What about age, weight, or economic status?

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
What about age, weight, or economic status?
I knew I was forgetting at least one. Here's the complete list:

"The Salina Human Relations Commission is a civil rights enforcement agency. It investigates complaints from persons alleging they have been discriminated against in employment, housing, or public accommodations because of race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age (40-70), ancestry, or disability, in addition to familial status in housing."

http://www.salina-ks.gov/content/126/244/defa...

No substantial protections on the basis of economic status and I imagine if your weight has become disabling, you might have a reasoned argument.

As far as I know, there are relatively few complaints filed each year on any basis and are usually settled through mediation. None of these other "suspect classifications" have ever been subjected to a public vote as to their approval.

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
I noticed no mention was made of how much the other two faiths, Protestantism, and Judaism, receive, and how that plays out among their hierarchy.
I hadn't heard of this state sanctioned and regulated fleecing of a religion's faithful, until it was mentioned in the article. From what I read elsewhere, each "religion/sect" gets a cut based on their number of registered adherents within the taxing unit (state by state) after the central government skims "administration expenses" off the top. I haven't seen who ends up with how much other than what the Catholic's share in the extortion is in this article.

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

In this country, our hatred for taxes would probably result in nobody attending religious services anymore. That might not be a bard thing.
snyper wrote:
What we are REALLY fighting to prevent ...
http://www.npr.org/2012/10/09/162570987/germa...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
q was a god figure. all knowing, all seeing, and all powerful. he was capable of changing both time and space.
Of course he was. He as an immature God figure.
Ravianna

Coos Bay, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

I think people should be disgusted with politicians who use so-called "gay rights" to gain power. Even if the politicians are among the most incompetent, naive, arrogant people in the world a lot of people vote for them because they are for "gay rights" and that should scare people.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 10, 2012

Judged:

Ravianna wrote:
I think people should be disgusted with politicians who use so-called "gay rights" to gain power. Even if the politicians are among the most incompetent, naive, arrogant people in the world a lot of people vote for them because they are for "gay rights" and that should scare people.
I think people should be disgusted with politicians who use so-called "Religious rights" to gain power. Even if the politicians are among the most incompetent, naive, arrogant people in the world a lot of people vote for them because they are for "Religious rights" and that should scare people.

See, by changing a word......you can make a case for why we shouldn't allow politicians to pander to any special rights groups or who can donate the right amount of money!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think people should be disgusted with politicians who use so-called "Religious rights" to gain power. Even if the politicians are among the most incompetent, naive, arrogant people in the world a lot of people vote for them because they are for "Religious rights" and that should scare people.
See, by changing a word......you can make a case for why we shouldn't allow politicians to pander to any special rights groups or who can donate the right amount of money!!!
Rose, the reality is, virtually all of us have some special interest, whether it is based on home ownership, occupation, relationship status, or children, to name a few.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Ravianna wrote:
What about politicians that use "anti gay rights", such as Ryan, Romney and others, to gain political power with certain powerful groups?

Do they also scare you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Ravianna wrote:
Excuse me. Aren't politics about people's interests? Don't the wealthy 1% dump millions of dollars into promoting Republican candidates so they can avoid paying taxes?

WAKE UP.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
What about politicians that use "anti gay rights", such as Ryan, Romney and others, to gain political power with certain powerful groups?
Do they also scare you?
No, because they are not anti-gay...they are anti-gay marriage...not the same thing at all....

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me. Aren't politics about people's interests? Don't the wealthy 1% dump millions of dollars into promoting Republican candidates so they can avoid paying taxes?
WAKE UP.
http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income...
What percentage of the total tax burden does that 1% pay?

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Get That Fool wrote:
No, because they are not anti-gay...they are anti-gay marriage...not the same thing at all....
According to whom, dear?

Hon, when you enact laws and amendments to make the lives of Lesbian and Gay couples as legally miserable as possible, offer them minimal rights, if any at all, fight against local ordinances that offer them equal protection, advocate for groups which exist for no other purpose than to rationalize discrimination against the gay folk, even if they have to just out and out lie to do so and on and on and on; attempting to claim that it really isn't because you are against the gay folk is a tough sell being on the receiving end of your rationalization.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-197379...
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The bizarre marriage of Religion and Sta
te that goes on in Germany; where if they play their legal corporate statuses right, they get the state to fleece their respective flocks for them? Or the Catholic Church hierarchy self-immolating, by screaming like money grubbing wh*res demanding payment for their tricks from those faithful who aren't as faithful with their required taxes?
All Germans who are officially registered as Catholics, Protestants or Jews pay a religious tax, worth an extra 8-9% of their income tax bill.

This had been challenged by a retired law professor who said he wanted to remain a Catholic but not pay the tax.

Last week, a new bishops' decree warned that anyone not paying the tax would be denied the right to religious rites.

The German church levy was introduced in 1803 in compensation for the nationalisation of religious property.

In 2011, the Catholic Church received 5bn euros (4bn; $6.4bn) and the Protestant Church 4.5bn euros from taxpayers, each adding up to the bulk of the churches' income, the BBC's Berlin correspondent Stephen Evans said.

He added that this arrangement, whereby the state collects taxes on behalf of religious groups and then reimburses them, was unusual in
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>The bizarre marriage of Religion and State that goes on in Germany; where if they play their legal corporate statuses right, they get the state to fleece their respective flocks for them? Or the Catholic Church hierarchy self-immolating, by screaming like money grubbing wh*res demanding payment for their tricks from those faithful who aren't as faithful with their required taxes?
All Germans who are officially registered as Catholics, Protestants or Jews pay a religious tax, worth an extra 8-9% of their income tax bill.

This had been challenged by a retired law professor who said he wanted to remain a Catholic but not pay the tax.

Last week, a new bishops' decree warned that anyone not paying the tax would be denied the right to religious rites.

The German church levy was introduced in 1803 in compensation for the nationalisation of religious property.

In 2011, the Catholic Church received 5bn euros (4bn; $6.4bn) and the Protestant Church 4.5bn euros from taxpayers, each adding up to the bulk of the churches' income, the BBC's Berlin correspondent Stephen Evans said.

He added that this arrangement, whereby the state collects taxes on behalf of religious groups and then reimburses them, was unusual in western societies.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Okay, somehow I double pasted on that last post.

“What came 1st? Stupid or bigot”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Ravianna wrote:
It's equally as scary when people DO NOT vote for a qualified candidate simply because they DO support gay rights.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

RatherBeInMissouri wrote:
<quoted text>
It's equally as scary when people DO NOT vote for a qualified candidate simply because they DO support gay rights.
Or what color they are, or what church they belong to perhaps?

“What came 1st? Stupid or bigot”

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2012

Judged:

Aquarius-WY wrote:
<quoted text>
Or what color they are, or what church they belong to perhaps?
Indeed.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2012

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.ntu.org/tax-basics/who-pays-income...
What percentage of the total tax burden does that 1% pay?
According to your source, 36.75% while the top 50% pay 97.75%.

Thanks for the info. Suppose we deduct 36 from 97 and get 61. Your source shows they are not paying their fair share.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••