UPDATE: House amendment would cut pay...

UPDATE: House amendment would cut pay for justice involved in Iowa same-sex marriage ruling

There are 6 comments on the wcfcourier.com story from Apr 26, 2013, titled UPDATE: House amendment would cut pay for justice involved in Iowa same-sex marriage ruling. In it, wcfcourier.com reports that:

A handful of House conservatives want to reduce the pay of Iowa Supreme Court justices involved in a 2009 decision striking down a ban on same-sex marriages as part of an effort to maintain the balance of power in state government.

“It’s our responsibility to maintain the balance of power” between the three co-equal branches of government, Rep. Tom Shaw, R-Laurens, said Tuesday.

The justices “trashed the separation of powers” with their unanimous Varnum v. Brein decision and implementation of same-sex marriage without a change in state law banning any marriages expect between one man and one woman, added Rep. Dwayne Alons, R-Hull.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at wcfcourier.com.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#1 Apr 26, 2013
"“It’s our responsibility to maintain the balance of power” between the three co-equal branches of government, Rep. Tom Shaw, R-Laurens, said Tuesday."

Strange but I don't see any co-equal power from the executive or judicial branch when it comes to reducing legislative pay because they didn't like your policies.

This has nothing to do with "balance". It's petty political revenge.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#2 Apr 26, 2013
DNF wrote:
"“It’s our responsibility to maintain the balance of power” between the three co-equal branches of government, Rep. Tom Shaw, R-Laurens, said Tuesday."
Strange but I don't see any co-equal power from the executive or judicial branch when it comes to reducing legislative pay because they didn't like your policies.
This has nothing to do with "balance". It's petty political revenge.
There's an old saying...."sin never sleeps", I never understood that when younger, but now it makes perfect sense. Mischief lives on and on. I think of the clever All State ads with "Mr. Mayhem" and how he is gleefully constantly doing bad things, while dressed in his impeccable black suit . Discontent and anger and self righteousness and any other spiteful behavior never rests.

I just read in the LA "Times" earlier today that the country now is at 58% accepting of gay marriage. As recent as nine years ago, it was about 31%. So, the acceptance is now a majority. with younger kids under 30, their take is 80% acceptance.

our crabby conservatives see the writing on the wall, and fear their rein of terror is about to end and they are fighting tooth and nail with any petty nasty weapon they can grab. In 20 years it will all be a "quaint" memory, like Jim Crow laws are today.

Conservatives never sleep.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#3 Apr 26, 2013
from the article, "The justices “trashed the separation of powers” with their unanimous Varnum v. Brein decision and implementation of same-sex marriage without a change in state law banning any marriages expect between one man and one woman, added Rep. Dwayne Alons, R-Hull."

WHY is it that NONE of the Republicans have ANY idea how our system of government works??? WHY???

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Apr 26, 2013
It's amazing what the GOPasaurs will come up with. Yet another act of desperation.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#5 Apr 27, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>There's an old saying...."sin never sleeps", I never understood that when younger, but now it makes perfect sense. Mischief lives on and on. I think of the clever All State ads with "Mr. Mayhem" and how he is gleefully constantly doing bad things, while dressed in his impeccable black suit . Discontent and anger and self righteousness and any other spiteful behavior never rests.
I just read in the LA "Times" earlier today that the country now is at 58% accepting of gay marriage. As recent as nine years ago, it was about 31%. So, the acceptance is now a majority. with younger kids under 30, their take is 80% acceptance.
our crabby conservatives see the writing on the wall, and fear their rein of terror is about to end and they are fighting tooth and nail with any petty nasty weapon they can grab. In 20 years it will all be a "quaint" memory, like Jim Crow laws are today.
Conservatives never sleep.
Thanks for a nice response. My reply is also for Ejohn and Sheeple as well.

Have you all noticed we hardly ever hear the old, "will of the people / let the people vote" thing. Even "activist judges" seems to have lost it's zing. I think part of this is simply a free extremists trying to keep a mostly forgotten campaign promise. But I also think that it's a signal that we will be hearing the old "activist judges" refrain again if SCOTUS rules in our favor in any way.

The newest flavor of the month seems to be religious freedom/religious discrimination and how they are trying to use religious freedom as a viable defense for religious discrimination.
I think we will be seeing a lot of attempts at passing "religious exemption" laws.

In any case it appears the moral of the story is that Legislators can be very vindictive against those in the Justice Branch who defy them.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#6 Apr 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for a nice response. My reply is also for Ejohn and Sheeple as well.
Have you all noticed we hardly ever hear the old, "will of the people / let the people vote" thing. Even "activist judges" seems to have lost it's zing. I think part of this is simply a free extremists trying to keep a mostly forgotten campaign promise. But I also think that it's a signal that we will be hearing the old "activist judges" refrain again if SCOTUS rules in our favor in any way.
The newest flavor of the month seems to be religious freedom/religious discrimination and how they are trying to use religious freedom as a viable defense for religious discrimination.
I think we will be seeing a lot of attempts at passing "religious exemption" laws.
In any case it appears the moral of the story is that Legislators can be very vindictive against those in the Justice Branch who defy them.
WA, ME, MD, MN 2012 election.

As predicted, that pretty much took care of the whole "let the people vote" thing.

You're correct, now the entire argument is "religious freedom" to discriminate.

They know they lost and it shows.

Interesting article yesterday from the main anti-gay group in Massachusetts complaining NOM screwed up in the Rhode Island fight. Love to see them eating their own now that they're losing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Study: Children Of Same-Sex Parents More Likely... 6 min JODECKO 64
News Greens against gay marriage plebiscite The Gree... 17 min Rosa_Winkel 2
News Navy names ship after gay rights advocate Harve... 39 min JODECKO 203
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr Brian_G 15,944
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 15
News Why culture war issues like same-sex marriage a... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 1
Is Fa-Foxy a Catholic? 1 hr Fa-Foxy 474
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr Nigel 38,779
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 10 hr Frankie Rizzo 68,966
More from around the web