Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake

Jun 6, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Seattle Times

A gay couple is pursuing a discrimination complaint against a Colorado bakery, saying the business refused them a wedding cake to honor their Massachusetts ceremony.

Comments (Page 7)

Showing posts 121 - 140 of165
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2013

Judged:

Brooke Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely disagree with you. Giving the federal government the power that it has now has been one of the biggest mistakes this country has made. The less into my private life the government can meddle, the better.
YOUR right to privacy isn't he question here.

What is at question is did the State find that a criminal act occurred. It did. The State of Colorado is pursuing those charges, NOT THE COUPLE WHO FILED THE COMPLAINT!

You seem to be objecting to the STATE of Colorado from enforcing it's own laws under STATES Rights!
hi hi

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2013

Judged:

Brooke Mason wrote:
<quoted text>
I completely disagree with you. Giving the federal government the power that it has now has been one of the biggest mistakes this country has made. The less into my private life the government can meddle, the better.
Know what's funny about this?

One could convincingly argue that by denying minorities or various groups their rights, you and people like you brought this on yourselves.

GOOD LORD, tell me just who the h-e-l-l thought it was a smart idea to start this RUSH to write one-man-one-woman marriage into state constitutions? You tell me WHAT EXACTLY has happened since?... a vicious fight that isn't going anywhere, and won't. It's only producing cases that are going all the way to the supreme court. And that's just one example. Just one.

It's like the antigay *sent out engraved invitations* to the United States government to meddle in everyone's affairs. But the antigay are startlingly, shockingly, profoundly disturbing in their extreme stupidity, and obviously thought THIS WAS ALL A GOOD IDEA. I wonder how many of them would now admit that it was the stupidest, stupidest thing they did. I wonder how many.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Do civil unions really do what the anti gays said they would do?
Well well well. Looks like the claims by the bigots that civil unions will do the same thing as marriage is unraveling in KY.
Exclusive: Will a lesbian couple be forced to testify against each other?
http://www.whas11.com/news/crimetracker/Exclu...
I hope we get this to be a big buzz on the internet. It will be interesting to hear the usual suspects respond,(Hannity, Limbaugh, Nom, AFA, Robertson, O'Reilly, etc.).
I Love it! PLEASE promote this story everywhere: Facebook; Twitter; etc.
Oh and all you anti gays who backed civil unions.....
1. Abiding Truth Ministries (Scott Lively)
2. American Family Association (Tim Wildmon; Bryan Fischer)
3. Americans for Truth About Homosexuality (Peter LaBarbera)
4. American Vision (Gary DeMar)
5. Chalcedon Foundation (R. J. Rushdoony)
6. Christian Anti-Defamation Commission (Gary Cass)
7. Concerned Women for America (Beverly LaHaye)
8. Coral Ridge Ministries (Robert Knight)
9. Dove World Outreach Center (Terry Jones)
10. Faithful Word Baptist Church (Steven Anderson)
11. Family Research Council (Tony Perkins)
12. Family research Institute (Paul Cameron)
13. Heterosexuals Organized for a Moral Environment (Wayne Lela)
14. Illinois Family Institute (Laurie Higgins)
15. Liberty Council (Matt Barber; Peter LaBarbera)
16. Mass Resistance (Brian Camenker)
17. National Organization for Marriage (Maggie Gallagher; Robert George; Brian Brown)
18. Traditional Values Coalition (Lou Sheldon; Andrea Lafferty)
I wonder what CROW tastes like.
LMAO
I tell people I am a gay Christian. I also don't like to lie. I made a mistake about information in the KY lesbian story. I posted that error on many threads. KY does NOT have a civil unions law.

I am embarrassed that I failed to do the research I so often criticizes others for not doing.

I sinned and now repent that sin.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2013

Judged:

Brooke Mason wrote:
The same is true of business. Should I be able to refuse you service because you are a woman?

Beside which, this started as a civil action by those who were denied service, and once the state of Colorado became aware of the case they filed a case in accordance with their anti-discrimination law.

Allowing a merchant to deny service based upon their religious moral views is tantamount to allowing them to project their religious beliefs onto others, in violation of their free exercise of religion. How does providing a good or service to someone, even if one thinks that the customer is sinful, impact the merchant's right to free exercise? Simply put, it doesn't.

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Why is the gay community such a bunch of whining sissies? If a liberal owned bakery refused to make a cake for me celebrating my first wolf kill, I'd just go somewhere else.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
Why is the gay community such a bunch of whining sissies? If a liberal owned bakery refused to make a cake for me celebrating my first wolf kill, I'd just go somewhere else.
Would you " just go somewhere else" if they told you they wouldn't serve you because of your NRA apparel?

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
But they wouldn't. A liberal bakery..(WTF?) would respect your choices and bake your silly wolf kill cake. An odd cake, but I am sure it would be fun for your kids to see red splatter icing and dead animal out of marzipan.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you " just go somewhere else" if they told you they wouldn't serve you because of your NRA apparel?
Yup, sure would. I'd let it be known to it's customers however, of their unfavorable view towards anyone who supports the 2nd amendment. I sure as hell wouldn't file a lawsuit against them like some pouting 3 year old who doesn't get their way.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Curteese wrote:
But they wouldn't. A liberal bakery..(WTF?) would respect your choices and bake your silly wolf kill cake.
You're making an assumption. Just by saying they "would respect" my choices doesn't mean squat.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
If a liberal owned bakery refused to make a cake for me celebrating my first wolf kill, I'd just go somewhere else.
You know, some of us liberals also hunt. Now, if you asked me to bake a cake celebrating the murder of an LGBT person, THEN we'd have a problem, but I'm pretty sure the law would be on my side in that case.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
Yup, sure would. I'd let it be known to it's customers however, of their unfavorable view towards anyone who supports the 2nd amendment. I sure as hell wouldn't file a lawsuit against them like some pouting 3 year old who doesn't get their way.
Rest comfortably in knowing that you will be accepted at liberal businesses, who will not decide that they can't serve a fellow citizen, like a pouting 3 year old who can't get along with those who are different from themselves.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

I believe that any business should be able to turn away customers for any reason. If a business owner doesn't want to serve blacks, gays, or any other group of people, that should be his or her right. We've reached a point in our society where a consumer can find an endless number of businesses that will accommodate them for whatever they need, regardless of biases. We've also reached a point in our society where a business that takes such extreme positions on race and other such factors won't last long.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, some of us liberals also hunt. Now, if you asked me to bake a cake celebrating the murder of an LGBT person, THEN we'd have a problem, but I'm pretty sure the law would be on my side in that case.
For the record, I have no problem with gays being gay. There nothing cooler than seeing two chicks making out in a bar. I just disagree with the "marriage" part of it, that's all.

“Unconvinced”

Since: Nov 09

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
I believe that any business should be able to turn away customers for any reason. If a business owner doesn't want to serve blacks, gays, or any other group of people, that should be his or her right. We've reached a point in our society where a consumer can find an endless number of businesses that will accommodate them for whatever they need, regardless of biases. We've also reached a point in our society where a business that takes such extreme positions on race and other such factors won't last long.
ANY business? Can a bank do this? What about a hospital or clinic? How about hotels and motels? Grocery stores? Gas stations?

What about some small town in Alabama, where MOST of the residents may have a bias against some group, and EVERY business of a sort (like every pharmacy) decides to refuse service to them? Are those people expected to go out of town for their needs? Such a business would hardly experience any backlash from the community.

Do we all have to just WONDER if a business will accept us or not when we walk through the door? Or will they post a handy list of unacceptable customers?

What if someone belongs to a hated group, but you can't visually tell, and they shop somewhere forbidden anyway? Can the business owner sue the customer, for violating their right to refuse service to them?

Allowing this kind of treatment will result in an American caste system. There are good reasons for non-descrimination laws, and for asking business owners to wait until INDIVIDUALS behave in a way that merits expulsion from the business, rather than simply shunning an entire demographic of people who have done nothing wrong.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
I believe that any business should be able to turn away customers for any reason. If a business owner doesn't want to serve blacks, gays, or any other group of people, that should be his or her right.
I understand where you're coming from, and on a purely theoretical level, I can even agree, but...(see below)
Sneaky Pete wrote:
We've reached a point in our society where a consumer can find an endless number of businesses that will accommodate them for whatever they need, regardless of biases.
It depends on where one lives. People living a rural and semi-rural areas and small towns don't have many options when they need an auto mechanic, or an appliance repair person, or some other vital service.

And do you really want to recall the days of seeing signs on the doors of businesses saying "No N*****s Allowed?" Believe it or not, there are still places in the deep south where business owners would do that if they could get away with it.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>You're making an assumption. Just by saying they "would respect" my choices doesn't mean squat.
Well, in this economy a business that turns down clients for some tight ass reason is the dumbest thing I have heard. If you think a shop like that deserves to stay in business, you sure are thinking against capitalist ideals. I guess Jesus cuts checks for those who think they are speaking for HIM.

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
Don't forget those different drinking fountains for those who aren't up to your scary standards.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
I believe that any business should be able to turn away customers for any reason.
You can thank the ugly excesses of Jim Crow for the beginning of the end of that notion. There hasn't been an absolute right of a business owner since anti-discrimination laws and ordinances were first passed. No matter where you do business you are subject to the anti-discrimination protections afforded to your customers based on specified suspect classifications.
Sneaky Pete wrote:
If a business owner doesn't want to serve blacks, gays, or any other group of people, that should be his or her right.
It hasn't been their right in half a century now and they weren't exactly the "good old days" for folk on the receiving end of that sort of socially sanctioned discrimination, when business owners had the right to be flaming a'holes to whoever their bigoted heart desired.
Sneaky Pete wrote:
We've reached a point in our society where a consumer can find an endless number of businesses that will accommodate them for whatever they need, regardless of biases.
Yes, we have, but we should have also reached the point in our society where we can shop where we want without the fear that the business owner is going to invoke God's wrath or just plain irrational hate and show us the door. Maybe they can put up "No **** Allowed, God Says So", signs up to let us know where we stand.
Sneaky Pete wrote:
We've also reached a point in our society where a business that takes such extreme positions on race and other such factors won't last long.
You say that like that is a bad thing. The law is simple, it says that a business cannot discriminate against their customers on the basis of any number of different suspect classifications and to engage in such practices subjects the owners to potential civil penalties. Blaming God for your choice of beliefs, not considered a defense for violating the law. Neither is just just being a bigot.

You walk into a business, you get blindsided by the owner's choice of prejudices against you and they make your experience with them memorably miserable. Yes, you can go someplace else and likely will, but what happened to you in the first place was still against the law. Why not introduce that business owner to some memorably miserable of their own?

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

fr Sneaky Pete:

>For the record, I have no problem with gays being gay. There nothing cooler than seeing two chicks making out in a bar. I just disagree with the "marriage" part of it, that's all. <

So don't marry a gay person. That's all you need to do.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2013

Judged:

fr Sneaky Pete:

>I believe that any business should be able to turn away customers for any reason. If a business owner doesn't want to serve blacks, gays, or any other group of people, that should be his or her right....<

Then prepare to go out of business VERY quickly, with that little attitude.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 121 - 140 of165
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••