Westboro Church, famous for hate, los...

Westboro Church, famous for hate, loses two key members

There are 14 comments on the The Daily Tribune story from Feb 8, 2013, titled Westboro Church, famous for hate, loses two key members. In it, The Daily Tribune reports that:

Two granddaughters of Westboro founder Fred Phelps, 83, have publicly quit the church, denounced its campaigns to disrupt funerals for military officers, entertainers and shooting victims, and apologized for years of carrying signs proclaiming "God hates" homosexuals.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Daily Tribune.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Feb 8, 2013
This nutty, hateful group will die out in the near future. It's a couple of dozen members all related by blood or marriage. It can't last long.

From what i've read of Fred Phelps, I think he's seriously mentally ill.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 8, 2013
I'm shocked that these people have been strong enough to turn away from the Dark Side.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 8, 2013
Here is the link to the article:

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/usatoda...

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#4 Feb 8, 2013
equalityboy81 wrote:
I'm shocked that these people have been strong enough to turn away from the Dark Side.
I guess the ones who left finally found Jesus.

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Lewes, DE

#5 Feb 9, 2013
Fa-Foxy wrote:
This nutty, hateful group will die out in the near future. It's a couple of dozen members all related by blood or marriage. It can't last long....
This small group may indeed die out, but their beliefs are not much different than larger arch-bigot groups such as Focus on the Family and the American Family Association that are not going anywhere soon.

The only difference I see between Fred Phelps and Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, Franklin Graham, and dozens of others is that the latter don't conduct protests at funerals or intentionally draw attention to their hatred and bigotry. In fact, some of them try to disguise it as a message of "love," which in many ways is worse.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#7 Feb 9, 2013
qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
This small group may indeed die out, but their beliefs are not much different than larger arch-bigot groups such as Focus on the Family and the American Family Association that are not going anywhere soon.
The only difference I see between Fred Phelps and Tony Perkins, Bryan Fischer, Franklin Graham, and dozens of others is that the latter don't conduct protests at funerals or intentionally draw attention to their hatred and bigotry. In fact, some of them try to disguise it as a message of "love," which in many ways is worse.
The only real difference between the musings of the Westboro and garden variety anti-gay Christian, is that the Phelps Family Freak Show of Hate's message is meant for us, while your average anti-gay Christian is usually talking to them self and hoping that we're listening in. Fred gave up caring that the anti-gay version of Christianity teaches folk to seriously hate thy neighbor decades ago, the love the sinner set is, at heart, still bothered by that particular aspect of the whole thing and endlessly tries to rationalize how they are acting to themselves.

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#8 Feb 9, 2013
Congrats to the 2 granddaughters!

“What Goes Around, Comes Around”

Since: Mar 07

Kansas City, MO.

#10 Feb 9, 2013
yep wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, are you another rainbow queer?
Do you give or take it up the rear or both ways? My guess is, you like it both ways.
and......and my guess is, you're a DUMBAZZ troll. Yup. 100% correct!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#11 Feb 9, 2013
qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya mean they're Democrats ?!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#15 Feb 9, 2013
NoQ wrote:
<quoted text>
I just wanted to say.........Fkkkkk You. Just wanted to tell you how much I don't care. Just wanted to say..........Fkkkkkkkkk You. This is from the bottommmm of my heart. LMFAO
Obviously, you DO care because you seem to spend all you're waking hours on the Gay & Lesbian Forum.

Methinks he doth protest too much !

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#17 Feb 9, 2013
fr Fa-Foxy:

>This nutty, hateful group will die out in the near future. It's a couple of dozen members all related by blood or marriage. It can't last long.
From what i've read of Fred Phelps, I think he's seriously mentally ill.<

He is. When he was kicked out of Prairie Bible Institute in Canada, the dean strongly suggested that he get psychiatric counselling. Freddie refused, claiming that he didn't need it. He was probably scared that he'd end up in a psych hospital.

“and how does this effect you?”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#18 Feb 10, 2013
Pattysboi wrote:
fr Fa-Foxy:

>This nutty, hateful group will die out in the near future. It's a couple of dozen members all related by blood or marriage. It can't last long.
From what i've read of Fred Phelps, I think he's seriously mentally ill.<

He is. When he was kicked out of Prairie Bible Institute in Canada, the dean strongly suggested that he get psychiatric counselling. Freddie refused, claiming that he didn't need it. He was probably scared that he'd end up in a psych hospital.
The only difference in Phelps and Manson is I don't think Phelps has had anyone physically killed yet!

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#19 Feb 10, 2013
Kimberling wrote:
<quoted text>
The only difference in Phelps and Manson is I don't think Phelps has had anyone physically killed yet!
As compared to meta-physically killed ?

:)

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 Feb 10, 2013
qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that the biggest difference between Phelps and the rest of the anti-gay is that Phelps is at least more honest in his hatred. The rest of them try to couch their hatred in softer soap or attempt to spin it as some sort of tough love, but it's all still hatred based on superstition and myth.

Phelps has been the best thing the pro-gay movement has ever had -- an anti-gay caricature that makes the rest of the anti-gay extremely uncomfortable as well as tainted by his same broad anti-gay brush.

I hope these nuts keep going for a long while.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sanders: Don't blame Islam for Orlando shooting 5 min Rabbeen Al Jihad 762
News Orlando Democrat: FDA should end ban on gay men... 5 min Really Real Rainb... 3
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 5 min EdmondWA 37,348
News Lawmakers reject bill addressing adoptions by g... 11 min uncle 2
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 11 min antipolicticalcor... 13,087
Latest Pulse Tragedy Timeline 28 June 14 min Rainbow Kid News 1
Great Gays 17 min Gay History 8
News Obama: Notion that being armed would have saved... 19 min Chicagoan by Birth 956
More from around the web