Doctor's Anti-Gay Comments Lead to Co...

Doctor's Anti-Gay Comments Lead to Commencement Cancellation

There are 13 comments on the EDGE story from Apr 11, 2013, titled Doctor's Anti-Gay Comments Lead to Commencement Cancellation. In it, EDGE reports that:

A John Hopkins University neurosurgeon has stepped down from giving a commencement speech at the school, after coming under fire for recent comments he made regarding gay marriage, Politico reports.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

Dubya

Roanoke, VA

#1 Apr 12, 2013
Just another idiot appearing on Hannity.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Apr 12, 2013
A neurosurgeon who is out of the loop?
What is to keep him from hacking people in the operating room?
http://www.keithwhite.us/alabamaer.html

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#4 Apr 12, 2013
Does this guy come with milk? He's an oreo cookie, after all. Hope he likes please his white Republican "mastahs."

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#5 Apr 12, 2013
Jake wrote:
It's a shame you can't even speak you mind without coming under fire by queers cause your opinion is not what they want to hear. What ever happened to having the right to express your opinion?
You have the right to express an "opinion." And this school has the right to invite whomever they want to their graduation ceremony.
Why do people think "opinion" is so blessed, though? You can say anything, however stupid, however false, however destructive, and when someone criticizes it you hear it every time, "Hey! It's my OPINION, I'm entitled to my OPINION."

Yeah, so was Hitler...and the decent world is entitled to the opinion that you're a stupid bigoted lowlife. Fair enough?

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Lewes, DE

#6 Apr 12, 2013
Jake wrote:
It's a shame you can't even speak you mind without coming under fire by queers cause your opinion is not what they want to hear. What ever happened to having the right to express your opinion?
You and everyone else has every right to express your opinion. Look, you're doing it right now! So does this doctor. But that does not exempt you or anyone else from the consequences of their words. In his case, his words caused quite a little maelstrom, making him appear to be a dinosaur and in opposition to equality for everyone. I'm glad he stepped down. If I was graduating from Johns Hopkins and this guy was giving the commencement address, I'd be outraged.

I can't help but wonder why Dr Carson felt compelled to make his statements in the first place. It has nothing to do with his field of expertise.

Oklahoma City, OK

#9 Apr 12, 2013
Jake--"See, you're just a typical [email protected] that rationalizes everything from you queers point of view."

I'm not "rationalizing" anything, my "point of view" is of equality, and by the way, bozo, I'm not gay.

"He's not Hitler or a lowlife,"

You're half right.

"he just a doctor that doesn't believe in ssm."

He's a bigot promoting discrimination. And he deserves to be criticized for this, along with many other statements he's made that are in opposition to justice and equality. And his profession has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

"They're doing him the same way you freaks complain about getting done to yourselves because you're queers."

Liar. He's not being hurt in the SLIGHTEST while the hate and discrimination bastards like yourself spread have killed people and destroyed lives.
He is being critized for something he CHOSE. can CHANGE, and which causes great harm to many people. Gay people are being attacked for something they did not choose, can not change, and which harms nobody.

"That's discrimination in reverse."

Horsecrap. Bigots aren't being discriminated against in the slightest. He's had no rights violated at all.

"If everything you said was not to someone else's liking and you got penalized for it, you wouldn't think that fair, would you?"

This isn't about "liking," it's about promoting hate and discrimination. I don't like if someone says they like a team I don't like, or some musician I don't care for. This is way, way beyond that.

Oklahoma City, OK

#10 Apr 12, 2013
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your opinion. What if by expressing it, you were fired from your job or just got suspended for a short time, leaving you without pay for that period. Would you think that was fair consequences for your comments? Of course not, because it's your opinion and you believe it to be right.
People are fired from their jobs for being gay all the time. The difference, AGAIN is that Carson CHOSE to make these comments, could have chosen NOT to, and his comments cause harm to others.
Being gay isn't chosen, cannot be changed, and harms nobody.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12 Apr 12, 2013
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
That's nice. Hold a d!ck in your mouth and wallow it around some, but as long as you don't actually su:ck on it, you're not a queer. Just another one of your screwed up rationalizations. You keep believing that, cupcake.
Well now; you are most certainly a well spoken gentleman of refined breeding stock
Are you college degreed?

“We are all atheists”

Lewes, DE

#13 Apr 12, 2013
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your opinion. What if by expressing it, you were fired from your job or just got suspended for a short time, leaving you without pay for that period. Would you think that was fair consequences for your comments? Of course not, because it's your opinion and you believe it to be right.
The doctor was not fired from his job. Stepping down from being a speaker at a commencement is not quite in the same league as being fired, now, is it?

In more than half of the states, you CAN, however, be fired just for being gay.
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#14 Apr 12, 2013
remember when liberals were AGAINST censorship of unpopular ideas?

I guess liberty only extends to opinions with which they agree...

Gays try to ban more than the bible thumpers, they really are similar cults...
Dubya

Roanoke, VA

#17 Apr 13, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
There is a difference between "unpopular ideas" and outright lies. Since you are a champion of dishonesty and misconception that distinction would never occur to you I'm sure. A bigot by any other name...

“We are all atheists”

Lewes, DE

#18 Apr 13, 2013
Francisco dAnconia wrote:
Who's being censored? Who's promoting censorship?

You are certainly not being censored for your extremely idiotic and unpopular ideas, are you?
Francisco dAnconia

Barre, VT

#19 Apr 15, 2013
qwerty26 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who's being censored? Who's promoting censorship?
You are certainly not being censored for your extremely idiotic and unpopular ideas, are you?
Id say the speaker who was asked to step down for voicing an unpopular view..

see that now through all your smoke and mirrors?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Are We Being Forced To Accept Homosexuality? (Feb '12) 2 min Tre H 955
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 min Rose_NoHo 4,967
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 19 min Respect71 44,054
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 37 min Big C 23,979
News Gay Activists Plan Inaugural 'Queer Dance Party... 50 min Just stop complai... 10
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 54 min Just stop complai... 287
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 56 min Just stop complai... 12,646
More from around the web