HI Gov Gives Gay Marriage Bill To Law...

HI Gov Gives Gay Marriage Bill To Lawmakers

There are 1122 comments on the EDGE story from Aug 29, 2013, titled HI Gov Gives Gay Marriage Bill To Lawmakers. In it, EDGE reports that:

Gov. Neil Abercrombie on Wednesday presented state lawmakers with a draft of legislation that would legalize gay marriage in Hawaii.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

First Prev
of 57
Next Last

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#1 Aug 29, 2013
Come on Hawaii......become state number 15th:-)

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#2 Aug 29, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Come on Hawaii......become state number 15th:-)
Should read 15.......lol!!!
Violet

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
Come on Hawaii......become state number 15th:-)
No way, Jose!
What's the rush?
The bill can be discussed in January. Not now.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#4 Aug 29, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
No way, Jose!
What's the rush?
The bill can be discussed in January. Not now.
What do you mean "rush"? Hawaii has been fighting for Marriage Equality since 1993.........it's about damn time they finish this!!!
Brian

Attleboro, MA

#5 Aug 29, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
No way, Jose!
What's the rush?
The bill can be discussed in January. Not now.
Rush? Should have been legalized years ago. There are people wanting to get married now. Not wait until January.
Sick of Bigots

San Francisco, CA

#6 Aug 29, 2013
Hawaii's original constitution allowed for same sex marriage so the bigots passed a constitutional amendment outlawing it. That's when I stopped going to Hawaii. Now, they're trying to undo their hateful mistake. Sorry, I still won't be going - ever again.
Violet

United States

#7 Aug 29, 2013
Wait until January. A special session is a waste of taxpayer dollars and a red herring to get some dumb interim appointments confirmed. Try wait, and see.

Joe Balls

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#8 Aug 29, 2013
Sick of Bigots wrote:
Hawaii's original constitution allowed for same sex marriage so the bigots passed a constitutional amendment outlawing it. That's when I stopped going to Hawaii. Now, they're trying to undo their hateful mistake. Sorry, I still won't be going - ever again.
We'll really miss seeing you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#9 Aug 29, 2013
C'MON HAWAII !!!!

Show all the Haole how!

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#10 Aug 29, 2013
OFFICIAL Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwo&#699;ole - "What A Wonderful World"



C'Mon Hawaii. Put this right. The mistake you made years ago can be fixed.

Pass SSM.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#11 Aug 29, 2013
The bill calls for marriage licenses to issued Oct 3rd, with marriages beginning on Nov 1st.

That means the Gov will have to call a special session in Sept if he expects his bill to be passed.

The clock starts ticking now......

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Aug 29, 2013
Sick of Bigots wrote:
Hawaii's original constitution allowed for same sex marriage so the bigots passed a constitutional amendment outlawing it. That's when I stopped going to Hawaii. Now, they're trying to undo their hateful mistake. Sorry, I still won't be going - ever again.
Actually they passed a constitutional amendment which ALLOWED (but didn't require) the legislature to define marriage as between one man & one woman.

It's a slight but very important distinction.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Aug 29, 2013
At least we'll know where we stand by Sept. The Gov won't call for a special session specifically to consider his marriage equality bill if he's not confident the votes are there.

If there is no special session called, then we know we still have work to do before Jan '14 when the next normal legislative session begins.
Violet

United States

#14 Aug 29, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
The bill calls for marriage licenses to issued Oct 3rd, with marriages beginning on Nov 1st.
That means the Gov will have to call a special session in Sept if he expects his bill to be passed.
The clock starts ticking now......
What's with the artificial deadline (set up by the Gnome himself). The bill should be amended for introduction in the 2014 regular session for such licenses to be issued upon approval, with any such marriages beginning 30 days thereafter. This way the bill gets to be heard in regular session with no artificial pressure being brought to bear by the homosexual lobby. Neil can withdraw his bill and wait three more months and save the taxpayers money. There is no compelling reason to have a special session - unless it is a red herring for other shady deals in the works - like confirming idiots currently serving interim appointments - who would likely pass Senate confirmation with all the rhetoric and hot air about same sex marriage. Neil can stop this circus now if he wants to. But does he?
District 1 an a 2 and a 3

Santa Ana, CA

#15 Aug 29, 2013
Let them marry all you "old backward farts". Just think when they marry like you have been allowed to can enjoy when they have verbal fights in public and you can revel when they divorce like 50% of married couples do.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#16 Aug 29, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
What's with the artificial deadline (set up by the Gnome himself). The bill should be amended for introduction in the 2014 regular session for such licenses to be issued upon approval, with any such marriages beginning 30 days thereafter. This way the bill gets to be heard in regular session with no artificial pressure being brought to bear by the homosexual lobby. Neil can withdraw his bill and wait three more months and save the taxpayers money. There is no compelling reason to have a special session - unless it is a red herring for other shady deals in the works - like confirming idiots currently serving interim appointments - who would likely pass Senate confirmation with all the rhetoric and hot air about same sex marriage. Neil can stop this circus now if he wants to. But does he?
Because equality is worth the extra expense of a special session.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#17 Aug 29, 2013
Violet wrote:
<quoted text>
What's with the artificial deadline (set up by the Gnome himself). The bill should be amended for introduction in the 2014 regular session for such licenses to be issued upon approval, with any such marriages beginning 30 days thereafter. This way the bill gets to be heard in regular session with no artificial pressure being brought to bear by the homosexual lobby. Neil can withdraw his bill and wait three more months and save the taxpayers money. There is no compelling reason to have a special session - unless it is a red herring for other shady deals in the works - like confirming idiots currently serving interim appointments - who would likely pass Senate confirmation with all the rhetoric and hot air about same sex marriage. Neil can stop this circus now if he wants to. But does he?
Don't know Hawaii much, do ya?

Special session, not special election. The only cost to it would be the trip from one island to the next, something that echelon of the Citizenry do frequently anyway just to do some special shopping.

Nowadays, if it weren't for tradition, they could do the thing by video conferencing from their bathtubs or out on the lanai.
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#18 Aug 29, 2013
The governor giving status to a minority group invading the islands and introducing widespread meth (and other drug) use, theft from companies hiring them and increased incidence of deadly disease should be in prison himself.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#19 Aug 29, 2013
Cordwainer Trout wrote:
The governor giving status to a minority group invading the islands and introducing widespread meth (and other drug) use, theft from companies hiring them and increased incidence of deadly disease should be in prison himself.
You mean like the whiteys brought leprosy, small pox, measels, influenza and tuberculosis to the Sandwich Islands, and essentially stole the islands from the locals?
Cordwainer Trout

Elizabethtown, KY

#20 Aug 29, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean like the whiteys brought leprosy, small pox, measels, influenza and tuberculosis to the Sandwich Islands, and essentially stole the islands from the locals?
Even if your BS were true, in your sick mind the imposition of evil can be justified by another evil. Leprosy is not contagious. HIV/AIDS by a bunch of evil minded people like you actually wanting to destroy a culture... is. The expanded infection of Hawaii with illegal and destructive drugs is reason enough to quarantine queers, not reward them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 57
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump also mocked Rosie O'Donnell for being gay... 4 hr Cordwainer Trout 3
News I'm traumatised by Trump, says Cher, warning el... 5 hr DR X 15
Getting your Friday Freak on with Jade 5 hr Referent Righteou... 1
Snapchat :) 5 hr mwolfe707 1
News Alabama chief justice removed from bench for de... 5 hr Synque 26
News Cameroon asylum row man 'told to prove he is gay' 6 hr FedUp 9
News Identity Inc. presents anti-hate crimes rally 6 hr Prosperity Fundie... 12
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 13 hr antipolicticalcor... 18,588
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 14 hr Pauli 68,998
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 19 hr TomInElPaso 40,519
More from around the web