Baptist Group Bars Chaplains From Same-Sex Rituals

There are 7 comments on the EDGE story from Sep 6, 2013, titled Baptist Group Bars Chaplains From Same-Sex Rituals. In it, EDGE reports that:

The Southern Baptist Convention, which provides the largest share of active-duty military chaplains, has barred members from taking part in weddings, counseling sessions and couples retreats for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at EDGE.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Sep 6, 2013
Not surprising. They're a wacko fringe group. Just ignore them. Remember the famous words of Martin Luther: "IGNORE THE NUTTY BAPTISTS !"
BornGay Superhuman

Alpharetta, GA

#2 Sep 6, 2013
The Southern Baptist Convention bars weddings but supports a military that kills people for a living
Well knock me out with overwhelming rationality

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#3 Sep 6, 2013
Sounds like the Baptists are having trouble controlling their own members.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#4 Sep 6, 2013
I am glad the military and Congress have taken steps to insure that a persons religious beliefs will not affect them in their military careers.

To bad some states''Defenses of Marriage' laws like Indiana make it a crime punishable by fines and prison if you bless a same sex union.

SSM does not compel anyone to reject their religious beliefs.
Rose Feratu

Hoboken, NJ

#5 Sep 6, 2013
DNF wrote:
I am glad the military and Congress have taken steps to insure that a persons religious beliefs will not affect them in their military careers.
To bad some states''Defenses of Marriage' laws like Indiana make it a crime punishable by fines and prison if you bless a same sex union.
SSM does not compel anyone to reject their religious beliefs.
Indiana's law is blatantly unconstitutional.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#6 Sep 9, 2013
Rose Feratu wrote:
<quoted text>
Indiana's law is blatantly unconstitutional.
I'm wondering how many other States have laws like Indiana to "protect marriage".

It shocks me that laws like the one in Indiana got such little press coverage. Between the State Constitutional Amendments push and the State DOMA law frenzy of the 90's I'm sure there are other States that have laws that infringe on religious freedom, all for the sake of "protecting" heterosexual marriage.
Neil An Blowme

Hoboken, NJ

#7 Sep 10, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I'm wondering how many other States have laws like Indiana to "protect marriage".
It shocks me that laws like the one in Indiana got such little press coverage. Between the State Constitutional Amendments push and the State DOMA law frenzy of the 90's I'm sure there are other States that have laws that infringe on religious freedom, all for the sake of "protecting" heterosexual marriage.
It takes time and money for these things to get through the court system. Politicians know this. They are only used as delaying tactics. Look how long it took to get rid of DOMA, and it still isn't over.

What needs to be publicized is all the tax dollars that go to defend unconstitutional laws. I will NEVER believe that the lawmakers who pass this kind of shit think their bogus laws will withstand a court challenge. They are just plain, ol' mean-spirited and cowardly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama calls for end to gay a conversiona therap... 6 min serfs up 79
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 min Terra Firma 20,754
News Is Polygamy the Next Gay Marriage? (Sep '14) 7 min Frankie Rizzo 4,968
News The right therapy for LGBT youth 10 min Cordwainer Trout 8
Woman files federal suit against all gays. 10 min forester 1
News Gay marriage foe's argument seems to leave Supr... 11 min Aspirin Between M... 226
News Out on a very shaky limb: Gay business figures ... 19 min forester 8
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 1 hr NorCal Native 2,488
Are the mods fair and balanced? 1 hr NE Jade 854
News Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 hr Frankie Rizzo 59,653
More from around the web