Michigan's 2004 gay marriage ban faces challenge

Oct 15, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: KCBD-TV Lubbock

Two Detroit-area nurses wanted to adopt each other's children, not rewrite Michigan law on gay marriage.

Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Oct 17, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Since it was the judge who suggested they challenge the marriage ban as well as the adoption ban, it's highly likely he will overturn Michigan's ban.

Of course we'll have to deal with an appeal to the conservative 6th circuit, but with a initiative vote looming in 2016 the clock is ticking down to marriage equality in Michigan.

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
Since it was the judge who suggested they challenge the marriage ban as well as the adoption ban, it's highly likely he will overturn Michigan's ban.
Of course we'll have to deal with an appeal to the conservative 6th circuit, but with a initiative vote looming in 2016 the clock is ticking down to marriage equality in Michigan.
Is there still a ballot initiative on it's way for 2016? I hadn't heard anything about it in a while....

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

"....a 2004 constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage that passed by a landslide."

59% of the vote is a landslide??? Since when??

“Come and get it! ”

Since: Jan 09

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

I'm sure it'll get overturned. Nobody in office or on the bench seems to have the balls to stand up to the gay bullys anymore.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Sneaky Pete wrote:
I'm sure it'll get overturned. Nobody in office or on the bench seems to have the balls to stand up to the gay bullys anymore.
LOL!!!! The gay bullies??? Too funny, dude.
Lamer

Hopkins, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
Bullies? How funny...

Seems those on the anti gay side are losing because their agruements are bad. I have not heard 1 sane or rational agreument for being against gay marriage.

You can say marriage is a religious tradition but that just means all marriage in the eyes of the US gov should not be called marriage but civil unions. Terminology problem solved.

You can say you want marriage of the bible but then i would have to guess that you have never read the bible as there are many, many types of marriages inside the bible and who it says you may or may not have sex with.

You can say b/c it is gross but that is just your opinion and a very silly agruement

You can bring in the fact that it doesnt produce children but then you will have to forbid women over the age of 50 from marrying as well. Maybe even have a sperm test for all males before they can marry regardless of age.

I could go on but you get the idea. Your losing not from "bullies" but from lack of a valid arguement.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Is there still a ballot initiative on it's way for 2016? I hadn't heard anything about it in a while....
A Grand Rapids group was planning on a 2014 initiative, but wisely decided to put that off until the next presidential election when turnout is much more favorable to us.

Obviously if the courts overturn our ban the initiative will be unnecessary, but considering the 6th circuit is a rather conservative court I wouldn't be surprised if they uphold the ban. Assuming the 9th circuit rules the opposite way on their case(s), that sets up conflicting circuit court rulings which ensures the SCOTUS will have to settle the issue.

Of course all that will take time to play out- likely a couple of years. So the big decision is whether we go forward with what would certainly be an expensive initiative drive while the court case is still pending.

Decisions, decisions....

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Lamer wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullies? How funny...
Seems those on the anti gay side are losing because their agruements are bad. I have not heard 1 sane or rational agreument for being against gay marriage.
You can say marriage is a religious tradition but that just means all marriage in the eyes of the US gov should not be called marriage but civil unions. Terminology problem solved.
You can say you want marriage of the bible but then i would have to guess that you have never read the bible as there are many, many types of marriages inside the bible and who it says you may or may not have sex with.
You can say b/c it is gross but that is just your opinion and a very silly agruement
You can bring in the fact that it doesnt produce children but then you will have to forbid women over the age of 50 from marrying as well. Maybe even have a sperm test for all males before they can marry regardless of age.
I could go on but you get the idea. Your losing not from "bullies" but from lack of a valid arguement.
The same arguments could be made for the gal who wants to marry her whole flannel wearing, female bowling team, or the dad who wants to marry his daughter...

And you seem to insinuate that I'm "anti gay", which I'm not.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>The same arguments could be made for the gal who wants to marry her whole flannel wearing, female bowling team, or the dad who wants to marry his daughter...
If you oppose marriage equality for same-sex couples, that makes you anti-gay.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Unfortunately the case in Michigan is going to trial, so that delays any ruling until well into 2014.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>The same arguments could be made for the gal who wants to marry her whole flannel wearing, female bowling team, or the dad who wants to marry his daughter...
And if and when flannel wearing, female bowling teams or father/daughter lovers wish to make their case for marriage equality, they most certainly can. It's a free country, right??

However, polygamy and incest have absolutely NOTHING in common with same-sex couples marrying. But you know that already, don't you? You're just throwing out red herrings and hoping no one will challenge your nonsense, right?

Just to humor you, what happens when one member of the team of flannel wearing bowling team in a single polygamous marriage wants to divorce two or three of her wives, but not all of them? What laws do we have on the books right now to direct family court in handling such a thing?

And the father/daughter thing? Good luck with that. I'm not even going to start on the problems THAT little fantasy of yours would spark.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If you oppose marriage equality for same-sex couples, that makes you anti-gay.
Wrong. It makes me anti-gay "marriage". I'm aware of homosexuals who oppose gay "marriage", so by saying that they're anti-gay as well just makes you sound silly.

“Come and get it! ”

Traverse City

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

eJohn wrote:
However, polygamy and incest have absolutely NOTHING in common with same-sex couples marrying
Wrong. They're exactly the same thing. Who are you to deny consenting adults the right to marry, be they father/daughter or one dude marrying 5 other dudes. Bigot!!!

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
( That's the problem with this country anymore, they let you disgusting creatures get away with anything. Kids now days are being brainwashed to believe Queerness is normal. IT'S NOT NORMAL and never will be.
It's perfectly natural, and completely normal, if you are born that way.

Ignorance, however, needs to be carefully taught.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
The arguments are only the same if you are unable to count, or cannot understand the difference between related or unrelated.

Gay folks don't have that problem, but it seems to be endemic in certain religious and conservative circles.

Can you explain why your kind has this glaring problem?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. It makes me anti-gay "marriage". I'm aware of homosexuals who oppose gay "marriage", so by saying that they're anti-gay as well just makes you sound silly.
If you want to make sure there are laws in place that serve no purpose other than to harm gay couples and their families, then YES, you are anti-gay.

And there are straight people who don't believe in marriage, either. How do you label them?

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

Judged:

Sneaky Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong. They're exactly the same thing. Who are you to deny consenting adults the right to marry, be they father/daughter or one dude marrying 5 other dudes. Bigot!!!
Except of course they're not the same thing.

Learn what similarly situated means.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

WeTheSheeple wrote:
While I certainly hope that Michigan's ban is overturned by the court(s), the fact that the judge in this case suggested the course of action to the plaintiffs certainly is grounds for appeal if he finds the ban unconstitutional, because his impartiality is certainly questionable at best.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

The Shadow wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep telling yourself that, it'll make it easier for you to be such a pervert.
You don't know what the word means.

Please get help.

Tawas City, Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
While I certainly hope that Michigan's ban is overturned by the court(s), the fact that the judge in this case suggested the course of action to the plaintiffs certainly is grounds for appeal if he finds the ban unconstitutional, because his impartiality is certainly questionable at best.
Possible, but judges often advise the parties involved. I think this was mostly because a challenge to the adoption ban is in essence a challenge to the marriage ban- only unmarried couples are prevented from 2nd parent adoption, regardless of gender.

Either way, the case will be appealed, and the conservative 6th circuit is likely to uphold the ban regardless.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••