Advocates hopeful NJ will enact gay m...

Advocates hopeful NJ will enact gay marriage law

There are 6 comments on the Tri-cityherald.com story from Oct 11, 2013, titled Advocates hopeful NJ will enact gay marriage law. In it, Tri-cityherald.com reports that:

In this Sept. 27, 2013 file photo, Cindy Meneghin, left, kisses her partner Maureen Kilian, both from Butler, N.J., during a news conference at Garden State Equality in Montclair, N.J., hours after a Superior Court Judge ruled that New Jersey is unconstitutionally denying federal benefits to gay couples and must allow them to marry.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Tri-cityherald.com.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

Coolidge, AZ

#1 Oct 11, 2013
I'm disappointed that marriage equality won't happen in New Jersey this October 21st. The case will not be heard by the New Jersey Supreme court until next year.

But I certainly hope they rule in our favor.

Since: Feb 10

Woodstock, Illinois

#2 Oct 12, 2013
I don't know how the laws work in cases like this, but can the plaintiffs ask for a summary judgement without a trial as this issue was already ruled upon prior to the enactment of civil unions? Now that the Supreme Court has overturned parts of DOMA, the state is in violation of their previous ruling.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#3 Oct 12, 2013
Ron431 wrote:
I don't know how the laws work in cases like this, but can the plaintiffs ask for a summary judgement without a trial as this issue was already ruled upon prior to the enactment of civil unions? Now that the Supreme Court has overturned parts of DOMA, the state is in violation of their previous ruling.
Yes, the plaintiffs can ask for a summary judgment.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#4 Oct 12, 2013
Unfortunately this lets the legislators off the hook; there is no reason for them to try a veto override if the Supreme Court is taking the case.

The only question remaining is whether same-sex couples will be able to marry in the meantime.
JImC

Yonkers, NY

#5 Oct 13, 2013
We will continue to press the Legislators to override Christie's veto. That is the quickest way to obtaining same sex marriage in NJ. Soon or later it will happen.

“ WOOF ! ”

Coolidge, AZ

#6 Oct 13, 2013
JImC wrote:
We will continue to press the Legislators to override Christie's veto. That is the quickest way to obtaining same sex marriage in NJ. Soon or later it will happen.
Except your legislature doesn't seem in any rush to even CONSIDER a Marriage equality bill, despite the fact that the court ORDERED marriage equality in New Jersey many years ago.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 9 min carter county res... 24,150
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 26 min Rose_NoHo 5,049
News DeGeneres says her show is no place for anti-ga... 36 min Rose_NoHo 397
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 39 min Rose_NoHo 44,244
Maybe god is gay! (Dec '09) 1 hr June VanDerMark 12,719
News 'I am appalled and disgusted': Councillor accus... 1 hr Rainbow Kid 2
News Idaho tax bill advances despite gay marriage ob... 3 hr jcofe 1
More from around the web