Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: NBC Chicago

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Comments
1,961 - 1,980 of 17,568 Comments Last updated May 2, 2014
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2013

dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
im my early twenties, i decided i did not want any children and i don't have any!!
everybody don't have to have children you crazy freak!
and who will take responsibility for you when you are old?

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>and who will take responsibility for you when you are old?
how many elderly WITH CHILDREN still end up in nursing homes even though they can walk, feed themselves, etc..?

if none of my nieces and nephews will care for me i guess i'll end up side by side with tons of parents whose children won't take care of them.

such a stupid question! so have a baby so they can wipe your azz when you are 80, LOL!! i bet you will be so far and deep in a nursing home it won't be funny!

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>........
<quoted text>Let's get serious, do you really think a same sex couple can provide the care, comfort and learning opportunity a child's mother and father can provide?........
Can a same sex couple provide the care, comfort and learning opportunities that an opposite sex couple can? Absolutely, since I have seen it happening in real families. Just open your eyes and look around you.

It's happening every day.

And not a single straight couple has ever been harmed in the process.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
how many elderly WITH CHILDREN still end up in nursing homes even though they can walk, feed themselves, etc..?
if none of my nieces and nephews will care for me i guess i'll end up side by side with tons of parents whose children won't take care of them.
such a stupid question! so have a baby so they can wipe your azz when you are 80, LOL!! i bet you will be so far and deep in a nursing home it won't be funny!
i proudly and happily took care of my parents as they did their's before me. my children participated in the experience and perhaps they will do the same. nursing homes have their purpose but they should not be dumping grounds for our parents.
so those who have children and still end up in a nursing home should take a long look back at how they raised their children, how they treated their parents, and the values they instilled in their children.
the question is not so stupid as it is a reflection on the values of our society. values that you seem to accept as normal.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>i proudly and happily took care of my parents as they did their's before me. my children participated in the experience and perhaps they will do the same. nursing homes have their purpose but they should not be dumping grounds for our parents.
so those who have children and still end up in a nursing home should take a long look back at how they raised their children, how they treated their parents, and the values they instilled in their children.
the question is not so stupid as it is a reflection on the values of our society. values that you seem to accept as normal.
No, "who will take responsibility for you when you are old" is a stupid question.

1. Many gay familes raise children.
2. Some gay families who don't have children are better able to plan for retirement.
3. There is a very good chance, in the case of married gay couples, that one will care for the other (while both are alive.)
4. Side note: some gay people are better suited to take care of their own aging parents vs. their straight siblings who may still have children in the home.
5. Side note: many straight people have no children.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>i proudly and happily took care of my parents as they did their's before me. my children participated in the experience and perhaps they will do the same.........
I watched the sacrifices my Mom made to keep her great Aunt in her home until her death at 103. I left a good job to care for my Mother in the last months of her life, with no regrets.

And I hope my children will do the the best they can for me, in the same way that I have spent time helping childless friends who were/are elderly.

Being gay or straight has nothing to do with how we treat our friends and family, and the conscience we nurture in our children.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>ok, then i'll just accept that your definition of a fundamentalist is rather loose. or is it that anyone who would be against gay marriage must be a fundamentalist?
many are, but not all, of course. Absolutes are very rare.

But, since there is NO logical secular reason to want to harm gay couples, put their kids at a disadvantage, and send a message to gay youth that sex and shacking up is okay, but marriage and family life are out, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people who are anti-marriage are indeed religious fundamentalists, in one way or another.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
I watched the sacrifices my Mom made to keep her great Aunt in her home until her death at 103. I left a good job to care for my Mother in the last months of her life, with no regrets.
And I hope my children will do the the best they can for me, in the same way that I have spent time helping childless friends who were/are elderly.
Being gay or straight has nothing to do with how we treat our friends and family, and the conscience we nurture in our children.
On the other hand, neither my parents nor my husband's parents wished to impose themselves on the children. As much as we love each other, we all have our own lives. That our parents planned and have the resources to care for themselves is a gift to us as well as themselves.

I cannot imagine that my husband or I would feel any different.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Quest wrote:
<quoted text>many are, but not all, of course. Absolutes are very rare.
But, since there is NO logical secular reason to want to harm gay couples, put their kids at a disadvantage, and send a message to gay youth that sex and shacking up is okay, but marriage and family life are out, I think it's safe to say that the majority of people who are anti-marriage are indeed religious fundamentalists, in one way or another.
i can agree with your perspective especially when you call them "religious fundamentalist". the term "fundamentalist" in Christianity usually means a person who holds to a well defined set of beliefs which would result in a belief that homosexual sex is a sin but it certainly is not exclusive to that. my point was that just because the translators of the rsv may seem to be against homosexual sex doesn't make them "fundamentalists". they fail on the other distinctives of being a "fundamentalist"

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Quest wrote:
Can a same sex couple provide the care, comfort and learning opportunities that an opposite sex couple can? Absolutely, since I have seen it happening in real families. Just open your eyes and look around you. It's happening every day. And not a single straight couple has ever been harmed in the process.
Quest is describing a gay who sues the mother of his child for custody, claiming now he is married and the poor, unemployed woman is single since he left her after deceit.

What about harm the the mother, depriving her of her child or of the child, deprived of a mother? Don't like to think about that consequence?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
...The child will want to marry a member of the gender they are attracted to...
People only marry the person they are most attracted to? What planet do you live on?

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>People only marry the person they are most attracted to? What planet do you live on?
Well, people like you have to settle for whomever they can get.
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Brian_G |
Rose_NoHo wrote:
"...The child will want to marry a member of the gender they are attracted to..."

"People only marry the person they are most attracted to? What planet do you live on?"

Interesting how you rephrased what he actually said to suit your own argument. Perhaps because you have no real argument against what he really said which is in plain English for everyone to see.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, people like you have to settle for whomever they can get.
LOLOL
How true!
To make matters worse; LOVE has to work both ways
The notion that GOD will make the other person love you after the wedding is 'fundamentally' flawed

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

AzAdam wrote:
Brian_G |
Rose_NoHo wrote:
"...The child will want to marry a member of the gender they are attracted to..."
"People only marry the person they are most attracted to? What planet do you live on?" Interesting how you rephrased what he actually said to suit your own argument.
Yes, I've stopped replying to Rose because she continues to tell the same falsehoods about my wife. I've changed the argument, I'm not interested in what Rose thinks. Some people will never learn.

AzAdam wrote:
Perhaps because you have no real argument against what he really said which is in plain English for everyone to see.
What don't you like about the affect of same sex marriage on people in sex segregated institutions? Why do you support gender segregated marriage when marriage has always been defined as gender diverse? I don't get it.

Fake sympathy for gays doesn't cut it; many homosexuals favor protecting marriage as one man and one woman.
AzAdam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I've stopped replying to Rose because she continues to tell the same falsehoods about my wife. I've changed the argument, I'm not interested in what Rose thinks. Some people will never learn.
<quoted text>What don't you like about the affect of same sex marriage on people in sex segregated institutions? Why do you support gender segregated marriage when marriage has always been defined as gender diverse? I don't get it.
Fake sympathy for gays doesn't cut it; many homosexuals favor protecting marriage as one man and one woman.
You probably think you're clever.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Quest is describing a gay who sues the mother of his child for custody, claiming now he is married and the poor, unemployed woman is single since he left her after deceit.
What about harm the the mother, depriving her of her child or of the child, deprived of a mother? Don't like to think about that consequence?
Look, dummy, people sue each other over child custody all the time. It will continue to happen, gay marriage or no.
Did your ex sue for custody?

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, I've stopped replying to Rose because she continues to tell the same falsehoods about my wife.
You replied to me just a few posts ago, but didn't deal with what I actually said.
Brian_G wrote:
I've changed the argument, I'm not interested in what Rose thinks. Some people will never learn.
<quoted text>What don't you like about the affect of same sex marriage on people in sex segregated institutions?
It's not going to have any they don't want it do. No, moron, people in professional sports teams are not going to be forced to marry each other against their will.
Prove me wrong, provide a single case of it happening.
Brian_G wrote:
Why do you support gender segregated marriage when marriage has always been defined as gender diverse? I don't get it.
That's because you are stupid. You are using the "appealing to tradition" logical fallacy.
Brian_G wrote:
Nobody is talking about harming one man/one woman marriage. Well, except for people who get into a one man/one woman marriage. Most of them divorce.

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>i proudly and happily took care of my parents as they did their's before me. my children participated in the experience and perhaps they will do the same. nursing homes have their purpose but they should not be dumping grounds for our parents.
when did i actually suggest this was normal? i simply stated a FACT. just because you lovingly cared for your parents does not mean everyone else chooses to or even can do the same.

almost every elder in a nursing home HAS CHILDREN its a fact whether this is considered normal or not.

so what sense does it make for a woman who does not want any children to bare some anyway just so she can be taken care of in her elder years? there is no guarantee for this! most elders in these homes have more then one child! yet, there are living in a nursing home.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Same sex marriage creates backlash because it introduces gender segregation to the perfectly diverse institution of male/female marriage.

If you care about gay people, keep marriage as one man and one wife.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once more on fascism knocking on the Balkan doo... (Aug '09) 27 min Jooosh04 946
Gay dads dispel same-sex adoption myths - and a... 1 hr DebraE 108
Gay marriage (Mar '13) 2 hr DebraE 54,805
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr The Rogue 49,393
Chile sailor publicly discloses his homosexuality 4 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Legislature Says No to "Gay Panic" Defense 4 hr Mitts Gold Plated... 1
Gay Marriage Vs. the First Amendment 5 hr Ashley1204 243
Judge critical of states defending gay marriage... 5 hr Fa-Foxy 34
Supreme Court: Was gay marriage settled in 1972... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 386
Becker & Poliakoff Lawyer Sends Anti-Gay Email ... 5 hr DNF 21
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gay/Lesbian People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••