Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

Jan 7, 2013 Full story: NBC Chicago 17,567

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Full Story
Suriname

Paramaribo, Suriname

#1638 Jan 17, 2013
the light has come wrote:
Standing against homosexual agenda is nothing new in the black church. heterosexual marriages has always been pushed by the church. Because black girls go out and have OOW babies, they already know what the church teaches against sex before marriage. Being a single mother do not mean that the mother have no responsibility in raising the boys to respect the girls even if there is no man around. When the church stand against wrong, here come someone who think they should be quite. If they be quite, there are those who think they should speak up. There is no satisfying some people.
LOL

The church should be the last one to say something
They are the trendsetters with Little boys

Homosexuality is something we must accept that it exist
But nothing in this world gonna force me to accept Homosexuality as it is normal.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1639 Jan 17, 2013
Suriname wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
The church should be the last one to say something
They are the trendsetters with Little boys
Homosexuality is something we must accept that it exist
But nothing in this world gonna force me to accept Homosexuality as it is normal.
Then you will be treated as we treat racists.

“another year another dollar”

Since: Mar 11

Dubtown Ohio

#1640 Jan 17, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't
Here's what it says:
++++++++++
1. I am the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have no other Gods before me
2. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain
3. Thou shalt keep holy the sabbath day
4. Honor thy father and thy mother
5. Thou shalt not kill
6. Thou shalt not commit adultery
7. Thou shalt not steal
8. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor
9. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife
10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's goods
++++++++++
What is this you convenient over-simplified version? The Bible has a lot to say about homosexuality but you have to read it.(or want to read it)

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1641 Jan 17, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>
What is this you convenient over-simplified version? The Bible has a lot to say about homosexuality but you have to read it.(or want to read it)
A lot? Really?

Get a clue.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#1642 Jan 17, 2013
barry wrote:
<quoted text>what part did you miss? the first part is a new law here that might exempt church services and those who lead them but it clearly does not exempt church ministries.
the second part is a similar law in england that already is attacking churches and their ministries.
coming here in due time. the assault is on.
Do you have ANY idea what you are talking about? Any at all?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1643 Jan 17, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, not a single serious Bible scholar would agree that it has "a lot to say about homosexuality." There are very few references in a very big book.

But that book talks a lot about loving one's neighbor and minding one's own business. I know you'd like to think that those are less important than the passages about homosexuality. I understand that: It's much more fun to point out what you consider to be other people's foibles than to deal with your own demons. Besides, if you acknowledged what the Bible really said, you might have to question your own sainthood.

But that is the reality.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1644 Jan 17, 2013
snyper wrote:
He's the gay equivalent of a Vichy.
I see, then you imply protectors of marriage are the equivalent of Nazi Germany.

I call Godwin's law; I win.
Jane Dodo

Hoboken, NJ

#1645 Jan 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I see, then you imply protectors of marriage are the equivalent of Nazi Germany.
"Protectors of marriage?"

ahahhaah
ahahahahah
ahahahahha

That's a good one, Brian! When did these "protectors" try to get divorce outlawed?

“Marriage Equality”

Since: Dec 07

Lakeland, MI

#1647 Jan 17, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>My point was obvious (to those not from Alabama - and I'm from Jersey, so Pennsylvania is the same thing to me.) The point was churches always refuse to marry people. They aren't forced to marry divorced people, so how are they going to be forced to marry gay people?

Stupid.
You know, it seems like no matter how many times we talk the religious idiots that their precious churches have every right to discriminate against anyone or anything they wish to because of their constitutional right to freedom of religion, give them EXAMPLES (my brother that was refused marriage rites in my sister-in-law's Catholic Church because he's not Catholic), they still respond with, "nuh-UH!!!! You're gonna SUE and you're WIN and we're going going to be forced to watch GAY people have anal sex on our blessed alter while we scream and shriek and tear our eyes out at the horror!! You KNOW you're gonna do it!! YOU'RE GONNA!!!!!"

WTF??? How are they so convinced that their churches are so vulnerable to attack? Are they that convinced that they're wrong? Or is their need to be victims so outrageous that they'll grasp at anything to attain that blessed misery??

Why waste the time?

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1648 Jan 17, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
You know, it seems like no matter how many times we talk the religious idiots that their precious churches have every right to discriminate against anyone or anything they wish to because of their constitutional right to freedom of religion, give them EXAMPLES (my brother that was refused marriage rites in my sister-in-law's Catholic Church because he's not Catholic), they still respond with, "nuh-UH!!!! You're gonna SUE and you're WIN and we're going going to be forced to watch GAY people have anal sex on our blessed alter while we scream and shriek and tear our eyes out at the horror!! You KNOW you're gonna do it!! YOU'RE GONNA!!!!!"
WTF??? How are they so convinced that their churches are so vulnerable to attack? Are they that convinced that they're wrong? Or is their need to be victims so outrageous that they'll grasp at anything to attain that blessed misery??
Why waste the time?
It's the same mindset that prevents them from distinguishing between sensible gun control vs. "taking all our guns."

It's not-so-smart people forming opinions based on ignorance, misinformation, and especially fear.

Our society needs to overcome these people as it has before.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#1649 Jan 17, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>What is this you convenient over-simplified version? The Bible has a lot to say about homosexuality but you have to read it.(or want to read it)
Isn't it wonderful that you get to believe anything you want, no matter how ridiculous and implausible?

And isn't it wonderful that we get to, too??

And I believe that anyone that blindly swallows the ancient and continually mistranslated and altered myths of ancient goat herders as reality and then uses them to judge and condemn others are idiots.

Isn't freedom of religion great???

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#1650 Jan 17, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>A lot? Really?

Get a clue.
Isn't it amazing that the Bible ALWAYS seems to agree with the irrational prejudices of those using it as a weapon against those they fear??

Just amazing.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#1651 Jan 17, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>I see, then you imply protectors of marriage are the equivalent of Nazi Germany.

LOL!!!!

How does one "protect" marriage?? And what, exactly, is attacking marriage such that I needs protecting??

A person can grandly declare that pies need "protecting", too, but unless he or she can accurately define and describe what that means, they're pretty much just making up craziness, aren't they?

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#1652 Jan 17, 2013
Tony C wrote:
<quoted text>It's the same mindset that prevents them from distinguishing between sensible gun control vs. "taking all our guns."

It's not-so-smart people forming opinions based on ignorance, misinformation, and especially fear.

Our society needs to overcome these people as it has before.
Yup! Anything new or different is scary, scary, scary. It must me attacked and ridiculed and destroyed quickly before they're forced to think.

Horrible. Just horrible. Thinking. Yuck.

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#1653 Jan 17, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!!
How does one "protect" marriage?? And what, exactly, is attacking marriage such that I needs protecting??
A person can grandly declare that pies need "protecting", too, but unless he or she can accurately define and describe what that means, they're pretty much just making up craziness, aren't they?
Hey, eJohn. What do you say we start a movement to protect the transcendence of pi. I understand that pi is being devalued by e's false claim to transcendence. We must protect pi. Millions of people agree that pi is far more transcendent than e. We must start a movement and collect money from them.

“another year another dollar”

Since: Mar 11

Dubtown Ohio

#1654 Jan 17, 2013
eJohn wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't it amazing that the Bible ALWAYS seems to agree with the irrational prejudices of those using it as a weapon against those they fear??
Just amazing.
That's because it does agree.The creation account says God made them male and female for a reason so they could reproduce and fill the earth. Two men or two women could not have done that it's the same here in 2013 homosexuals cannot reproduce.

Fort Lauderdale FL

#1656 Jan 18, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because it does agree.The creation account says God made them male and female for a reason so they could reproduce and fill the earth. Two men or two women could not have done that it's the same here in 2013 homosexuals cannot reproduce.
And yet, God makes heterosexuals who can't have children.

Next.

“Marriage Equality”

Lakeland, MI

#1657 Jan 18, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you agree that the Bible agrees with your irrational and totally unfounded prejudices.

And, guess what?? Gay people CAN and DO reproduce EVERY DAY. Why would you think we couldn't? We use all the same processes and procedures that straight people use--including (GASP!!) s-e-x. I KNOW!!! Who'd a thunk it???
Gays Run the World

Alpharetta, GA

#1658 Jan 18, 2013
iamcuriousnow wrote:
<quoted text>
The Curse applies only to straighties because it was the dumbass straighties who ate the forbidden fruit
Gays don't reproduce because we are exempt from The Curse
++++++++++
Genesis 31:6> Unto the woman he said, "I will greatly multiply thy sorowe and thy conception. In sorow thou shalt bring forth children: and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and hee shall rule ouer thee."
++++++++++
So nowadays; the Gay Race subcontracts our reproduction needs out to all you straighties who live under The Curse; as nature intended

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1659 Jan 18, 2013
Jane Dodo wrote:
"Protectors of marriage?" ahahhaah ahahahahah ahahahahha That's a good one, Brian! When did these "protectors" try to get divorce outlawed?
I don't want divorce outlawed because that would harm marriage; marriage must contain consent and divorce maintains consent after the wedding. Most same sex marriage supporters don't understand marriage; that's why they want to radically redefine it for everyone.

BTW, even the child of divorced parents still has something no same sex couple can provide: a mother and father.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ACLU sues to allow gay club in Indiana school 31 min moe 43
Next gay marriage fight: religious exemptions 1 hr NorCal Native 5,169
Florida clerks won't give gays marriage licenses 1 hr NorCal Native 21
Join the Best Bisexual Dating Site and Date Bis... 1 hr Bisexual support 1
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 2 hr Rick in Kansas 3,021
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 hr WasteWater 26,904
New Blood Donation Rules Would Still Exclude Ma... 2 hr Otter in the Ozarks 10
Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 6 hr KiMerde 6,076
The gay cafe for GLBT, friends and family (Oct '09) 7 hr Poopdeck Pappy 68,588
More from around the web