Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17554 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#14610 Dec 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Pope Francis was selected by Time as Man of the Year.
Pope Francis stands for marriage as one man and one woman.
Pope Francis isn't a US citizen and has no relevancy to a discussion of US civil marriage law.
cancer suxs

Faribault, MN

#14611 Dec 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with two men or two women marrying?
I see you took your stupid pills this morning.
Civil rights freedom and equality.....That is what it has to do with it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#14612 Dec 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with two men or two women marrying?
I see you took your stupid pills this morning.
Suppose someone ruled your marriage invalid along with all the pertinent laws associated with it. How would that make you feel?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#14613 Dec 14, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
I bet u wish you could put the blacks back to work in fields also huh TRAITOR.......EQUALITY.......A word you far righters hate.
^^^This is one of the most stupid and vile posts I've seen here. Slavery is evil. The only people who write otherwise are same sex marriage supporters, like the fool who puts "wish" and "put the blacks back to work in fields" in the same sentence. The United Arab Emirates abolished slavery in 1963.

Slavery and racism aren't left/right issues, they are an evil all their own. There have been left wing communist nations with slaves and right wing nations with racism, and vice versa. Men and women aren't equal, there are "Men's Rooms" and "Women's Room" but we don't have washrooms segregated by race, for good reason.

The people who bring you gender segregated marriage don't understand about integration, diversity, tolerance or the perfect affirmative action of one man and one woman marriage. Vive le difference!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14614 Dec 14, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
How did prop 8 work out for you hater? Did you know the Bible says you should not be involved in the affairs of others? 1 Peter 4:15 But let none of you suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as a busybody in other people’s matters.
W.W. doesn't quite understand the bible, but sure likes to quote it. OK, I seldom post bible quotes, but I'll play too.
From 14, to give context:

3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

4 Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you:

5 Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead.
The issue isn't same sex relationships, every state permits same sex cohabitation, religious same sex marriage and the freedom to travel to and from a jurisdiction that licenses same sex marriage. The issue is marriage law, how government views and enforces marriage. The issue is giving government the power of gender-blindness and its effect on everyone. Nobody cares about your same sex relationship, we care about keeping marriage one man and one woman for our children.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14615 Dec 14, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
It is when you can't articulate a compelling government interest to justify infringing the exercise of a fundamental right of gays, Brian.
No, that's T.F.'s justification to insult, bully and defame political opponents who believe marriage is one man and one woman. That way, T.F. see's himself as a victim, oppressed and offended by people who differ with his view of marriage. Its the only argument they've got; emotional sympathy.

Gays are human, that's why I stand for human rights, not subdividing rights by human characteristics and beliefs. There's nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality but that's not a license to rewrite custom, social norm and law.

Terra Firma wrote:
Not if the names you're called are accurate and true.
Calling all your political opponents names is wrong, even if you think those names are accurate and true. If you believe otherwise, then you don't believe in civil discourse. This is where we differ.

I've never used personal insult, innuendo or argued against the person who makes the argument; I like to focus on the issues. This forum discusses same sex marriage law and how we can stop it.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14616 Dec 14, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
Suppose someone ruled your marriage invalid along with all the pertinent laws associated with it. How would that make you feel?
^^^This is nonsense, perfectly unconstitutional. Ex post facto means a new law can't invalidate a legitimate contract or marriage. We want to repeal intrusive regulation, like Obamacare invalidating our health insurance plans and same sex marriage invalidating perfect affirmative action, diversity and integration. That won't change your marriage, just how government views it.

Let's work together to stop wasteful excessive government spending on benefits and entitlements attached to marriage and everything else. This is my poison pill argument for marriage equality; end all government spending on social entitlements (except in rare cases of extreme need) and let social institutions do what they do so well. Ending big government is ending marriage entitlement and benefit privileges, we've got to start somewhere.

Keeping marriage one man and one woman is the conservative way.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14617 Dec 14, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
Pope Francis isn't a US citizen and has no relevancy to a discussion of US civil marriage law.
This is a worldwide issue; you don't have to be a US citizen to say something relevant or have a good point of view. I'm not about shutting people out of the discussion because of their citizenship, ethnicity or religion, the way T.F. seems to enjoy in the quote above.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14618 Dec 14, 2013
cancer suxs wrote:
Civil rights freedom and equality.....That is what it has to do with it.
The freedom for government to consider two men or two women as "married" isn't the same thing as the freedom not to be enslaved. Do you understand that?

Slavery is evil and there are ancient arguments against slavery. So that makes me wonder, why are their no ancient arguments for same sex marriage law? No preY2K law allowing same sex marriage exists, either original or copy. Same sex marriage is novelty, not sensible social or government policy.

The issue of gender equality is ancient too, the consensus is no. All cultures embrace male/female difference. Male and female are unequal and that inequality means the survival of the human race. Sorry to burst your bubble, women and men are different else all homosexuals would be bisexuals.

The idea of civil rights as pork barrel campaign promises to mascot victim groups, stoking fear, restricting speech for political correctness and to censor political opponents is an interesting development. We'll take a closer look, if you would kindly continue posting...
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14619 Dec 14, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Why would anyone want to make a normal marriage that produced a fine family invalid?
You are free to take up a petition and put these types of marriages on the ballot. I'd like to see that.

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Home, sweet home.

#14620 Dec 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Why would anyone want to make a normal marriage that produced a fine family invalid? You are free to take up a petition and put these types of marriages on the ballot. I'd like to see that.
Me too. Same sex marriage came to America by court order, not lawful legislation or democratic process.

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#14621 Dec 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Me too. Same sex marriage came to America by court order, not lawful legislation or democratic process.
Brian, the courts are also tasked with striking down laws that are unconstitutional. You've been woefully incapable of articulating any state interest served by limiting marriage to opposite sex couples that would render such restrictions constitutional.

Grow up. Grow a brain. Grow a valid argument. You are an idiot.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#14622 Dec 14, 2013
Terra Firma wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should polygamists be restricted to only a polygamy model of which you approve?
They could use the gay male throuple.
What's wrong with being "monogamish" if all parties consent to it? Isn't that the standard you just asserted to justify expanding a previously two party marriage to more than two?
What's wrong with being polygamous, or poly amorous, or a former lesbian married to a man, or a self identifying gay man married to a woman. Brave new word thanks to SSM

And you really need to stop being a hypocrite.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14623 Dec 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Me too. Same sex marriage came to America by court order, not lawful legislation or democratic process.
Not true.......only a couple of States granted the right to marry through the Courts.......most of the others through lawful legislation which IS the democratic process, hell we even won at the BALLOT BOX.......again part of the democratic process!!!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14624 Dec 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you were........just was thinking about why some act the way they do.......and now with the victory that Kody Brown and his one legal wife and 3 spiritual wives have won the right to cohabitant.......there will be some saying that polygamy is on it's way.......funny how they won't see the ruling for what it really is, but instead what they think it is.
What is it Nor Cal...what is it really? We're entering a brave new world here...."marriage equality" is no longer just for same sex couples....it's moving,, albeit slowly beyond that.
Yep, they love rulings when they go their way, but the judges are ACTIVIST Judges when ruling against their wants...
You should love it too..after all...it's part of the marriage equality movement's objective, render monogamist conjugality as the sole legal basis for marriage null and void.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#14625 Dec 14, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it Nor Cal...what is it really? We're entering a brave new world here...."marriage equality" is no longer just for same sex couples....it's moving,, albeit slowly beyond that.
<quoted text>
You should love it too..after all...it's part of the marriage equality movement's objective, render monogamist conjugality as the sole legal basis for marriage null and void.
Sorry Pete, but I read the Judge's ruling and it's NOT what you think it is!!!

Polygamy will have to go all the way to SCOTUS because it was SCOTUS that made the ruling on Reynolds vs The United States.......and that could take about 5 to 10 years IF the polygamist ACTUALLY wanted to get married legally, but that's NOT the case, is it?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14626 Dec 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Not true.......only a couple of States granted the right to marry through the Courts.......most of the others through lawful legislation which IS the democratic process, hell we even won at the BALLOT BOX.......again part of the democratic process!!!
How many states, at the ballot box, constitutionally confirmed marriage as a union of husband and wife?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14627 Dec 14, 2013
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Pete, but I read the Judge's ruling and it's NOT what you think it is!!!
It's a start.
Polygamy will have to go all the way to SCOTUS because it was SCOTUS that made the ruling on Reynolds vs The United States..
Not necessarily. If a state legalizes plural marriage in some form, the Feds, thanks to the recent rulings, will have to recognize it. SCOTUS ruling on DOMA changed the rules, and will have far reaching consequences.
.....and that could take about 5 to 10 years IF the polygamist ACTUALLY wanted to get married legally, but that's NOT the case, is it?
All it takes is one. The Brown's victory lays the foundation for the next one. You should feel proud, polygamists can thank their lesbian sisters, and gay brothers for their work on marriage equality.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#14628 Dec 14, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi ya Wastey......what would you like with your red herring, pasta, or rice? Red or white vino? Nice win for the Brown family.

“From a distance...”

Since: Apr 08

Planet Earth

#14629 Dec 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>^^^This is one of the most stupid and vile posts I've seen here.
Then you must not read what you write, Brian.
Brian_G wrote:
Slavery is evil. The only people who write otherwise are same sex marriage supporters, like the fool who puts "wish" and "put the blacks back to work in fields" in the same sentence.
Demonstrating your illiteracy again for all to see, huh Brian? The poster didn't state they wished slavery still existed; they stated you probably did since you advocate discrimination against other minority groups that people should be able to discriminate based on their religious beliefs, which is exactly what some Christians did to justify both slavery and segregation.

Brian is ignorant of history.
Brian_G wrote:
The United Arab Emirates abolished slavery in 1963.
Slavery and racism aren't left/right issues, they are an evil all their own. There have been left wing communist nations with slaves and right wing nations with racism, and vice versa.
Bigotry against gays and other ethnic groups are just as vile, Brian.

Brian_G wrote:
Men and women aren't equal, there are "Men's Rooms" and "Women's Room" but we don't have washrooms segregated by race, for good reason.
All people are equal, Brian. Nice to see you're a misogynist on top of your other bigotry. The Declaration of Independence stated so and the constitution requires equal protection of the law. SCOTUS has ruled sex a quasi-suspect class for constitutional equal protection law. Sex segregated bathrooms are simply a cultural norm based on privacy.
Brian_G wrote:
The people who bring you gender segregated marriage don't understand about integration, diversity, tolerance
Actually, it's people like you that don't understand these things, Brian. Otherwise you wouldn't advocate discrimination against citizens you dislike and seek to infringe their fundamental rights.
Brian_G wrote:
or the perfect affirmative action of one man and one woman marriage.
When you require interracial marriage and interfaith marriage, then opposite sex marriage might represent "perfect affirmative action", Brian. Since you don't, you're simply a f-ing liar who is uneducated and bigoted as well.
Brian_G wrote:
Vive le difference!
As long as you aren't gay; otherwise, Brian seeks to discriminate against you and infringe your fundamental rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump's staff picks disappoint, alarm minority ... 5 min Go Blue Forever 267
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 7 min Respect71 42,972
News Report: LGBT students face discrimination at US... 21 min Frankie Rizzo 3
News Thousands of people march during rally at Bosto... 24 min freedom2016 2,254
News In a national first, LGBT advocates sue Utah sc... 26 min Treasure Drove 18
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 26 min Imprtnrd 22,518
News Malta bans 'gay cure' conversion therapy 28 min Treasure Drove 10
More from around the web