Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash...

Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes

There are 17556 comments on the NBC Chicago story from Jan 7, 2013, titled Church Leaders Vow Political Backlash if Gay Marriage Passes. In it, NBC Chicago reports that:

Leaders of several Chicago-area African American churches on Monday urged state lawmakers to vote against pending legislation that would allow same-sex marriage in Illinois.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC Chicago.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12954 Nov 10, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS would be hard pressed to justify keeping it illegal. On what grounds?
When you think of polygamy you probably think some crazy oppressive stuff. There are laws against all that. That's not what it is. It's good peoples marriages and if made legal you'd probably never even know it. What harm would a marriage of three women cause anyone and why shouldn't it be allowed?
It's good peoples marriages. Not a plot against anyone else's marriage. And marriage is good for society.
That's my case and thanks for letting me make it without calling me stupid or can't read and etc.
Springing my big brother tomorrow for dunner at Applebee's freebee! Ah good times. He walks better than me but doesn't talk. I talk enough for both of us anyway.
The Morrill Act. There is no legal precedent which cahllenges it.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#12955 Nov 10, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS would be hard pressed to justify keeping it illegal. On what grounds?
When you think of polygamy you probably think some crazy oppressive stuff. There are laws against all that. That's not what it is. It's good peoples marriages and if made legal you'd probably never even know it. What harm would a marriage of three women cause anyone and why shouldn't it be allowed?
It's good peoples marriages. Not a plot against anyone else's marriage. And marriage is good for society.
That's my case and thanks for letting me make it without calling me stupid or can't read and etc.
Springing my big brother tomorrow for dunner at Applebee's freebee! Ah good times. He walks better than me but doesn't talk. I talk enough for both of us anyway.
That's an emotional argument which holds no water.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#12958 Nov 10, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an emotional argument which holds no water.
How will SCOTUS justify keeping it illegal? I can see no reason. Can you? Remember. There are perfectly good laws against all the crimes people associate with polygamy. Prosecute the criminal not a type of marriage he's in. And we're talking about consenting adults. There are happy poly families out there, what harm will legitimizing their marriages cause anyone and what justifies it?

SSM was an emotional argument too. So what? We're talking about real people who have emotions and love each other. Sure it's an emotional argument. Yours was too.

I see no reason to keep polygamy illegal.
Frankie Rizzo

Hayward, CA

#12959 Nov 10, 2013
Marriage. There is no one right way.

Ba-dip, ba-dip, That's all folks!

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#12960 Nov 11, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Marriage. There is no one right way.
Ba-dip, ba-dip, That's all folks!
Finally?

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#12961 Nov 11, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
I see no reason to keep polygamy illegal.
Well SCOTUS did and probably still does disagree with ya......and until some polygamist actually decides to seriously fight to decriminalize it first and then go after why they should have the right to marry MORE than just one other person......NOTHING will change for them.........so, why haven't you done something about polygamy being illegal? I know you speak of it, but you do NOTHING about it!!!

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#12963 Nov 11, 2013
ah verkligen wrote:
<quoted text>He's doing the same thing you're doing about ssm....posting on topix about it.
AAAK, AAAK

:-)

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#12965 Nov 11, 2013
ohvraiment wrote:
Bird brain must need a bowl of seeds....
SOCK, SOCK

I love this game.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#12967 Nov 11, 2013
ohvraiment wrote:
Some folks
(Rive-R-at)...have nothing ON topic to say, yet, NEED their voice heard anyway.
...that's sad.
So anyway, what KIND of "political backlash"
are we facing, now that ssm has the gay president's blessing?
Anyone?
SOCK, SOCK.

:-)

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#12968 Nov 11, 2013
Same sex marriage means suing Christian wedding service providers who don't want to participate in a same sex wedding ritual.

If you care about religious freedom, keep marriage one man and one woman.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#12969 Nov 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
So, by creating unconstitutional laws that illegally discriminate against certain families that you don't like, you protect the religious right to discriminate against people you don't like.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the best he can come up with.
This ridiculous argument is all the opposition has. That's why we are winning battle after battle.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#12970 Nov 11, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
No. It is the law which is in effect and nobody is going to repeal it any time soon. Do you always waste time on stupid shit?
Sounds very Orwellian, "some (marriages) are more equal than others". Or.....just gimmie mine, ssm, but not theirs, plural marriage, to them.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12971 Nov 11, 2013
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by creating unconstitutional laws that illegally discriminate against certain families that you don't like, you protect the religious right to discriminate against people you don't like.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the best he can come up with.
Exactly.....stop discriminating against plural marriage families!
This ridiculous argument is all the opposition has. That's why we are winning battle after battle.
Thirty states still think otherwise. Besides its not true "marriage equality", until other, including plural marriages, are allowed.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12972 Nov 11, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Straw Man won't hit him back.
Noooooooo.....thats not it, Wastey can pretend the poly elephant's not in the rainbow clubhouse, its only a matter of time......why not embrace "marriage equality" for all?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

#12973 Nov 11, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Fight for it. Where's the movement for legalized plural marriage?
I'll stand up. I'm all for it as long as everybody is an adult and agrees to the marriage. It should be legal.
What's the problem?
Thank u River Tam, River Phoenix would be proud.

Polygamists and polygamy activists celebrated the Supreme Court's decision to strike down DOMA Wednesday, claiming the move to promote same-sex marriage in the U.S. promotes polygamy as well. While some gay marriage advocates claim that polygamy is a separate issue, some conservative Christians and traditional marriage advocates have long pointed out the link between the two through the redefinition of marriage.

The Supreme Court voted Wednesday to declare The Defense of Marriage Act unconstitutional and not hear further arguments regarding Proposition 8 in California, which sought to ban any redefinition of marriage. Many have suggested that the move heavily favors same-sex marriage prospects for the rest of the U.S., and now polygamy advocates have said the idea of traditional "family values" is dying.

"I was very glad (after the ruling)… The nuclear family, with a dad and a mom and two or three kids, is not the majority anymore," Anne Wilde, a vocal polygamy advocate, told Buzzfeed. "Now it's grandparents taking care of kids, single parents, gay parents.… It seems like if more people are accepting of gay marriage, it would follow that polygamist marriage wouldn't be criticized quite so much."

"We're very happy with it," Joe Darger, a Utah polygamist, said. "I think [the court] has taken a step in correcting some inequality, and that's certainly something that's going to trickle down and impact us."

Traditional marriage advocates such as radio talk show host Bryan Fischer agree: "The DOMA ruling has now made the normalization of polygamy, pedophilia, incest and bestiality inevitable. Matter of time," he tweeted.

Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor drew the same conclusion previously when discussing Proposition 8 in Hollingsworth v. Perry. She questioned attorney Theodore B. Olson's argument for gay marriage, saying it included no restrictions.

"If you say that marriage is a fundamental right, what state restrictions could ever exist," Sotomayor asked. "Meaning, what's the restriction with respect to the number of people that could get married, the incest laws – mother and child. What's left?"

While some same-sex marriage advocates have attempted to distance themselves from polygamists by saying the "slippery slope" argument is a myth, others have abandoned all pretense. Slate writer Jillian Keenan argued in her article "Legalize Polygamy!" that the practice is "no better or worse than homosexual marriage."
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#12974 Nov 11, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Noooooooo.....thats not it, Wastey can pretend the poly elephant's not in the rainbow clubhouse, its only a matter of time......why not embrace "marriage equality" for all?
How many wives can you financially support?

“No Headline available”

Since: Jan 08

Defiance, Ohio

#12975 Nov 11, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
Same sex marriage means suing Christian wedding service providers who don't want to participate in a same sex wedding ritual.
Brian, could a white supremacist cake maker refuse service to a black person?
Would the black person have the right to sue for discrimination in such an instance?
Do you believe that white supremacists free speech would be violated by making a cake for a black person?

You argument is ridiculous. First of all, the Christians in question are not practicing Christian values. They are judgmental, they don't treat others as they would be treated, and they do not love others as themselves. So from the word go, they are hypocrites. However they also are in violation of the laws within their states, which is the real reason why they were sued in the first place. If they have a problem providing services for people who hold differing views, then they should not open a business (which is a place of public accommodation), or they could move somewhere where religious freedom does not exist, so no one will hold views that differ from their own.

Why do you hate freedom and equality?

“Together for 24, legal for 5”

Since: Sep 07

Littleton, NH

#12976 Nov 11, 2013
Rainbow Kid wrote:
<quoted text>
How many wives can you financially support?
Wrong question. How many wives would it take to support me and my boyfriend in the style to which we'd like to be accustomed?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12977 Nov 11, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what they said about SSM. And look at you now! I'm happy for you even though you are a hater and a hypocrite. I have gay friends and want them to be happy. I support SSM and think marriage is good for society.
Of course I add all the qualfiers so you don't get stupid with your response. Adults. Consenting. Sane, human, able to understand a contract etc. No babies so don't go there again as an argument.
Aha. So your 'equality' is only extended to groups you approve of. Hypocrite and bigot.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

#12978 Nov 11, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Because equal protection may be denied if the State can show a legitimate interest in doing so.

You can think poly's in the rainbow room all you like. If that were true, poly would be legal. It's not and never will be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gay/Lesbian Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Colo. gay discrimination alleged over wedding cake (Jun '13) 1 hr Brian_G 38,356
News NBA Moves All-Star Game Out of North Carolina O... 1 hr Southern girl 17
Why Do People Turn Gay? 1 hr Fa-Foxy 57
News 'Free Kim Davis': This is just what gay rights ... (Sep '15) 1 hr who cares 14,559
News Lawsuit Over Public Urinal 2 hr I know that thing 11
News HBO's cancelled gay drama 'Looking' provides cl... 2 hr Clarence 12
News 'Disordered eating' rates troubling among young... 2 hr Clarence 11
News Judge to monitor Kansas' actions on gay marriag... 8 hr Here is what I 18
More from around the web